[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Has anyone else started to experience problems with Bluetooth after sleep since High Sierra?

The problem is that after wake up:

It's on - but can't connect to any devices and can't be turned off (no error message or anything, just nothing happens when pushing the button).

The only fix is to restart the computer.

I remember that while installing I had some bcrmpatch2 errors while trying to install.

have a blank trackpad, too. same as on sierra.

i cant confirm this. i changed my smbios to MBP13,3 on one machine and to MBP9 to another - works without any problem.

So I managed to basically merge your default config.plist and Darkhandz', and got my smbios switched to MBP13,3, but as soon as I try to use CC to change the serial number, board ID, and smuuid, I get an error on boot saying MACH reboot. I'll post a picture of it later, don't have my laptop with me at the moment. 

Thanks for the tutorial I finally got macOs High Sierra installed on my XPS. I chose to avoid AAFS based on my first installation boot up being too slow. HFS+J works better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Did anyone get a blank Trackpad preferences panel in the System Preferences?

You have to update the VoodooPS2Controller.kext to version 1.8.28 or later. It works on my end

Updating VoodooPS2Controller.kext to 1.8.28 worked here as well (MacBookPro13,1).
Thanks! 

Thanks for the tutorial I finally got macOs High Sierra installed on my XPS. I chose to avoid AAFS based on my first installation boot up being too slow. HFS+J works better.

You have to update the VoodooPS2Controller.kext to version 1.8.28 or later. It works on my end

Hi all!
My SSD disappeared, can anyone help me please?

I did the 4k sector format, then my ssd completely diappeared. This is wha I exactly did:

Boot ubuntu

check if my ssd is compatible > result was yes (1TB toshiba nvme ssd)

applied the

nvme format -l 1 /dev/name

after that, no OS can detect it. Ubuntu dmesg:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dmesg | grep -i nvme
[    7.032780] nvme nvme0: pci function 0000:03:00.0
[   27.604017] nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting reset
[   27.604026] nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19

in bios:

https://imgur.com/a/aexaf

Please help somebody... literally Im crying :(

I'm attempting to upgrade to 10.3.1 now via a fresh USB stick and ran into some of the problems like the others: Failed to install messages.

Now I have never patched for 4k and 10.3 doesn't require this anymore. Would I therefore need to add the NVME patches into config.plist like for the 10.12. configs?

Fixed it all by re-creating the USB stick from scratch, manually installing Clover via its installer without pandora's box. The upgrade from 10.6. then worked fine.

Now to make it walk by itself, aka reinstalling Clover on the new OS.

Hi all!

My SSD disappeared, can anyone help me please?

I did the 4k sector format, then my ssd completely diappeared. This is wha I exactly did:

Boot ubuntu

check if my ssd is compatible > result was yes (1TB toshiba nvme ssd)

applied the

nvme format -l 1 /dev/name

after that, no OS can detect it. Ubuntu dmesg:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dmesg | grep -i nvme
[    7.032780] nvme nvme0: pci function 0000:03:00.0
[   27.604017] nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting reset
[   27.604026] nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19

in bios:

https://imgur.com/a/aexaf

Please help somebody... literally Im crying :(

try to reformat it with -l 0 to switch it back to the old sector size. you can also try rebooting (hot/cold reboot) a couple of times - someone else had fixed such an issue after a few resets months ago. we had only one report with this issue so far - and sadly we dont know what could be the culprit.

• Like 1

try to reformat it with -l 0 to switch it back to the old sector size. you can also try rebooting (hot/cold reboot) a couple of times - someone else had fixed such an issue after a few resets months ago. we had only one report with this issue so far - and sadly we dont know what could be the culprit.

Thanks but the main problem is that even the Ubuntu can't see the nvme > cannot redone it

I have to find a solution to mount it, after that I could do anything.

The dmesg says:

nvme nvme0: pci function 000:03:00.0

nvme nvme0: Device not ready

nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status -19

Thanks but the main problem is that even the Ubuntu can't see the nvme > cannot redone it

I have to find a solution to mount it, after that I could do anything.

The dmesg says:

nvme nvme0: pci function 000:03:00.0

nvme nvme0: Device not ready

nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status -19

Try running a Windows installer usb, I had a similar issue and the Windows installer managed to pick up my SSD and then I could reformat it from there.

Try running a Windows installer usb, I had a similar issue and the Windows installer managed to pick up my SSD and then I could reformat it from there.

No luck for me, even windows can't see the ssd...

But still trying everything ;)

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying this laptop for purposes of a hackintosh. How is the reliability of the hack at this point? In your experience is data loss still a possibility? Would you rely on this as your primary machine?

Thanks so much.

I have had this Hackintosh for a year. Never had problems with it. I bought the xps15 9550 touch 4K UHD Samsung 950.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.  Do you use it as your primary machine?   If so, do all your apps work as they should in this environment?

I have had this Hackintosh for a year. Never had problems with it. I bought the xps15 9550 touch 4K UHD Samsung 950.

Hey guys!

Thank you so much to wmchris for this guide, it is very comprehensive and helpful.

I have one issue and a question. 

Bluetooth issue - I am not able to get Bluetooth to work even after the post-install. What are the proper steps for this notebook? I am using the Bcm94352z wifi card.

question - Can I change my smbios to a MacBook pro smbios? I want to see the battery. If so, which MacBook pro smbios is the most compatible?

Thanks for your reply. Do you use it as your primary machine? If so, do all your apps work as they should in this environment?

Yes it is my primary machine. I really don't use many app. But the one that does not work for sure is iMessage. Pain in the ass to make it to work

My system is now at 10.13.1 - nice.

After upgrading and activating the 4k display patch it wouldn't boot due to AptioFix related allocation errors. That was frustrating, because how can the memmap change? Turns out, it didn't change, but somehow my system needs jump-starting with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi for the first two or three boots after upgrades. After that, I can use AptioFix2 again. It doesn't matter if booting from internald disk or USB.

Sleep works nice, I'll take a look at power consumption, @hackedWifi

One odd thing I noticed during boot is that it stalls for up to three minutes, something related to iGPU, before booting up normally. I thought the OS was broken, but it runs four 60s timeouts before booting up. Hadn't had a chance to extract the exact error message yet.

My system is now at 10.13.1 - nice.

After upgrading and activating the 4k display patch it wouldn't boot due to AptioFix related allocation errors. That was frustrating, because how can the memmap change? Turns out, it didn't change, but somehow my system needs jump-starting with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi for the first two or three boots after upgrades. After that, I can use AptioFix2 again. It doesn't matter if booting from internald disk or USB.

Sleep works nice, I'll take a look at power consumption, @hackedWifi

One odd thing I noticed during boot is that it stalls for up to three minutes, something related to iGPU, before booting up normally. I thought the OS was broken, but it runs four 60s timeouts before booting up. Hadn't had a chance to extract the exact error message yet.

Well for me aptioFix2 works with slide=168. Also sleep is not that great compare with Archlinux. It takes two seconds to put my XPS to sleep with Archlinux but with macOS it takes like 10. Also the other night I charged my computer up to 100 and it was in sleep mode for like a day. Percentage was 72 when I woke up the screen.

I need slide=138 for my system. But as I wrote, the first two or three reboots after point or major upgrades require jump-starting it.

After some days I did notice the drain you described, now I put HWP back into the config and test if it helps.

Hey guys!

Thank you so much to wmchris for this guide, it is very comprehensive and helpful.

I have one issue and a question. 

Bluetooth issue - I am not able to get Bluetooth to work even after the post-install. What are the proper steps for this notebook? I am using the Bcm94352z wifi card.

question - Can I change my smbios to a MacBook pro smbios? I want to see the battery. If so, which MacBook pro smbios is the most compatible?

anyone?

For some reason, my bluetooth does not show up in osx, but its fine in windows. Is there a way to enable it? When I try and change my smbios, I get a kernel panic, what should I do? I will upload some pics soon.

Our answer depends on more info about your issue. For example. Are you following a guide to change the SMBIOS? Are you using Clover configurator? Do you have a screenshot of your kernel panic.

In order to get a clear and concise answer, you must provide clear and concise information about your issues. It is easy to fix issues. But we need more information.

I am using macpro13 as my SMBIOS and dell BIOS 1.5.1 I have no issues