[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

The error "does printf work??" is triggered whenever the kernel cache is broken and you try to boot with osxaptiov2. Had this issue myself after updating to 10.13.2 (which btw is VERY DANGEROUS!) and it took me a very long time reading thru sourcecode to get the idea.

You have to boot in recovery, delete the kernel cache manually, touch /Volumes/YOURDRIVE/System/Library/Extensions/ and reboot twice.

Can’t update 10.13.2

Update from AppStore
Clean install from u-disk

Still this error.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

The error "does printf work??" is triggered whenever the kernel cache is broken and you try to boot with osxaptiov2. Had this issue myself after updating to 10.13.2 (which btw is VERY DANGEROUS!) and it took me a very long time reading thru sourcecode to get the idea.

You have to boot in recovery, delete the kernel cache manually, touch /Volumes/YOURDRIVE/System/Library/Extensions/ and reboot twice.

No not this problem.

I have figure out that it is memory problem.

I test free200 with slide=0 works well.

My aptiov2 with slide=132 boot field and show printf.

I add 1 to slide to slide=133 with aptiov2 and works well.

So printf is absolutely aptiov problem with memory allocation error.

1. Installed the latest Clover 4334
  2. Started Update to 10.13.2
  3. Upon reboot added the fake-ID for the Intel GPU
  4. Booted from newly created install MacOS partition
  5. Fail due to missing kexts
  6. Booted Windows, moved kexts to "Other" folder
  7. Reboot, repeat 3 and 4
  8. Install completes but gives error
  9. Reboot with fake-ID to normal MacOS 10.13.2
  10. Repatch for 4k screen
  11. run

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache
  12. rebuild kernel cache
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

13. 10.13.2 works, but copy and paste doesn't this meant in 10.13.1 wrong permissions.

All in all, so far, so good

tl;dr:

1. Update Clover
  2. move kexts to "Others"
  3. Think of fake-ID when rebooting
  4. Rebuild kernel cache before final reboot

EDIT: To reflect some steps I needed to take to get 10.13.2 to really run again

No not this problem.

I have figure out that it is memory problem.

I test free200 with slide=0 works well.

My aptiov2 with slide=132 boot field and show printf.

I add 1 to slide to slide=133 with aptiov2 and works well.

So printf is absolutely aptiov problem with memory allocation error.

tried this as well, without success. clearing the prelinked kernel works thou.

Many people face this problem when update to 10.13.2 and it confirmed aptio problem.

Slide value should calculate by yourself.

My slide was 132 but show printf so I changed to 133 and works well.

Many people confirmed it can be solved by replace with free2000 or change slide value and I test both free2000 and slide are ok.

It is no related with prelink.

1.I try to update from AppStore and redownload 3 times but still show printf.

2.I download full package form AppStore and install but still show printf.

3.I make a full install u-disk from AppStore but still show printf.

So it is no way related with prelink I must to say.

When I change aptio to free2000 or change slide to 133 and all have been ok both update or install from u-disk are all ok.

I have discussed this problem with Sherlock and slice and confirmed it was a memory allocation problem and can be solved by aptio driver.

Thanksz

And I must to say when you use aptio-free2000 you must use slide=0 in boot-arg or it will not be work.

@gujiangjiang, of course its a problem with aptiov2, but exactly the same error triggers on different occasions. It looks like this error triggers, whenever its unable to load the kernel into ram. So its possible it doesnt work because of kernel size (fixable by slide) or a corrupted kernel.

I had this issue on two computers, both with correct calculated slide values. both time i was able to fix it by recreating the kernel cache. Ofc its also possible, that this slimmed my kernel to a value my old slide parameters were able to handle.

Edited by fantomas1
  • Like 2

I have fixed this issues. Will post details on Monday. Running on High Sierra atm after successful update from 10.12. And yes - this is USB-C related problem on High Sierra, and very annoying one.

But still can't figure out what the hell is going on with Thunderbolt - somehow macos doesn't want/can't communicate properly with NHI (so it doesn't handle plug/unplug events and pci-e bridge reinit). But i have solution for proper enabling TB on each reboot :)

P.S. Sorry, can't post all fixes so quickly now as things are messed up atm on my configuration due to different changes TB related, to try/test/debug.

hey goodwin, 

any updates on your TB work? do you think you can share what you have so far? in my case my TB USB ports had stopped working (even when plugged in at boot) since I upgraded from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 (if i recall, although it's been a while and i may be mistaken).

I am hoping if I reapply the changes you have made to get the USB (HDMI works fine) ports on the dock working, that should be sufficient for my needs :)

I own a Dell XPS 9550 with i7 and updated UEFI and SSD firmware (HYNIX). After creating the USB stick (UEFI), I can indeed boot from it and start clover, but there is no option to continue from this point. I can't start the installation process from there. Clover does not show any boot entries. The partition exists and contains the Install macOS High Sierra App.

I tried multiple USB sticks (64GB, 8GB), creating the stick with other Tools and also by hand. All with the same depressing result.

Logfiles
Clover_Install_Log.txt
preboot.log

(This is a crosspost of https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/issues/52)

Problem solved, creating the USB stick on another MacBook worked.

I own a Dell XPS 9550 with i7 and updated UEFI and SSD firmware (HYNIX). After creating the USB stick (UEFI), I can indeed boot from it and start clover, but there is no option to continue from this point. I can't start the installation process from there. Clover does not show any boot entries. The partition exists and contains the Install macOS High Sierra App.

I tried multiple USB sticks (64GB, 8GB), creating the stick with other Tools and also by hand. All with the same depressing result.

Logfiles

Clover_Install_Log.txt

preboot.log

(This is a crosspost of https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/issues/52)

I'm having the same issue. Spent hours yesterday and today trying to figure it out. I think it has to do with the High Sierra install only downloading the stub, and getting the full install via an alternate method still won't show the entry. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having the same issue. Spent hours yesterday and today trying to figure it out. I think it has to do with the High Sierra install only downloading the stub, and getting the full install via an alternate method still won't show the entry. Any help would be appreciated.

same answer as in git:

no. it's just a bad usb install drive and has nothing to do with the Dell XPS15 9550 or the supplied files.

Hey guys,  just got my 9560 and am looking forward to trying MacOS on this system.

Unfortunately, for some reason my Dell cannot see the created USB boot drive from the boot options.  I set the BIOS as described in the guide:

* System Configuration/ SATA Operation - switched to AHCI
    * System Configuration/ Miscellaneous Devices - unchecked “Enable Secure Digital (SD) Card
    * Secure Boot/ Secure Boot Enable - checked “Disabled”
    * Virtualization Support/ VT for Direct I/O - unchecked “Enable VT for Direct I/O”

Enable USB Boot Support, and Enable External USB port is enabled.  However there was no option for CSM or DEP as described in the guide.  I am on newer firmware 1.5.0.

When I insert the Dell Restore USB UEFI drive which I made from an identical USB stick, it boots fine from it.  When I insert the created USB boot drive into my desktop hackintosh, it sees it and can boot from it.   If I enable legacy boot support in the XPS BIOS, it can see the drive, but it doesn't list anything to boot, even if I create a Legacy Boot drive.

So strange to be stuck at such an early stage.  It's almost as if Secure Boot is enabled, but it isn't.  If anyone has any suggestions, thanks in advance. 

So, in this case try to select in BIOS manual boot option from your USB, and don’t forget to choose boot.efi from BOOT folder. Normally you can boot your OSX or installation of its even from SD reader (my case). Same issue was described before in some posts.

• Like 1

Thanks, that was it!   Now I can get to the clover boot loader which is a step forward.  

At this point it stops after a bunch of:

"ACPI Error: RE_NOT_FOUND" issues.  The final line reading: "ACPI Error: 27 table load failures, 25 successful".

I wonder if this might be an improperly set SMBIOS issue?

It's never as easy as it appears in the guides is it?  lol  Too bad these forums don't have sub posts to make it easier to find specific issue compared to going through pages and pages of posts to find the specific problem.  :)

Regardless, I appreciate everyone's help.   Thanks so much.

So, in this case try to select in BIOS manual boot option from your USB, and don’t forget to choose boot.efi from BOOT folder. Normally you can boot your OSX or installation of its even from SD reader (my case). Same issue was described before in some posts.

First. You are in the wrong thread. There is a a thread specific for you Dell XPS 9560. Second this or any hack is not meant for anybody. You must read a lot before you even try to install a hack. If I remember the easiest way to create a booting macOS USB is using the create install by rehabman. Also learn how to ask for help. No one is willing to help someone that does not k ow how to properly ask for it. You must post laptop specifications, what steps you have taken, screenshots, and etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bios 1.6.1 is safe to upgrade

Hello goodwinc

My friend had helped me with some progress with native nvram work on our laptop.

He found the nvram is related with a function called "RTC RAM Lock",and he test when he changed this to False then the nvram works well in natively.

But in XPS BIOS we have no "RTC RAM Lock" found with GUI,So i think if we can use setup_var to set this to false then to test if native nvram works?

ok, guys, sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I've been bashing my head everywhere for 4 days now and still no solution.

I had a perfectly good working install of 10.12 (Sierra) on my 9550 (using Hynix NVMe).

as per instructions to upgrade to 10.13 I downloaded the installation from AppStore (the full 5+ GB one) and created my install USB. What I didn't do is check the installation from USB before deleting the S/L/E kexts.

now when I boot using the usb it shows me my windows and Sierra partition on the SSD, but not the high Sierra installation on USB.

I have tried recreating the USB using Pandora, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and 'createinstallmedia' method (from a VMWare Sierra VM) but still the same issue of the installation not showing when booting clover (either from USB or SSD).

the other issue is I can't boot into Sierra either since the kexts were removed, it simply crashes on boot. I tried copying the kexts from wmchris's 10.12 installation to mac's S/L/E folder using Macdrive from Windows, but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions or help on:

1. Why High Sierra install partition is not recognized?

2. how do I bring back my sierra install into working condition?

(tried updating the latest FakeSMS.kext; clover version r4359)

2. how do I bring back my sierra install into working condition?

(tried updating the latest FakeSMS.kext; clover version r4359)

recovery is easy: copy the required kexts in your clover - kext - other folder and it should boot again. you can do this from windows as well as from the OSX recovery mode.

if the usb is not recognized but can boot into clover from the usb drive, then its created the wrong way. can be a faulty or wrong download of the osx installer files, faulty usb drive (or wrong partition type!), or a tool on your computer which messes around with your files to make it unbootable.

But please dont continue asking questions here about boot media creation - it's indeed offtopic.

Hello goodwinc

My friend had helped me with some progress with native nvram work on our laptop.

He found the nvram is related with a function called "RTC RAM Lock",and he test when he changed this to False then the nvram works well in natively.

But in XPS BIOS we have no "RTC RAM Lock" found with GUI,So i think if we can use setup_var to set this to false then to test if native nvram works?

are you sure this is the issue on our machine, or is this just a guess based on a fix on another setup?