[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

I tried reinstalling clover, this time booted up from cloverx64.efi, but it still stalls at the same place. Tried putting the AppleACPIPlatform.kext on usb EFI but it still stalls at the same place. Redownloaded the image, created the USB drive again, same error.

Mine is i7, same as yours, just samsungs nvme. Judging by the description Lockzi left he is using one too.

Yes, i7

Got it working by removing the emuvariable driver as well as downloading the latest cover instead of the one Pandora uses.

Apparently it seems like it's because of our integrated GPU.

I just managed to get past the kextd stalld AppleACPICPU message, by using some of the files from darkhandz repo. Removing the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13 folder and moving everything in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. Create the folder if it doesn't exist. Also replaced everything in the drivers64UEFI with the files from darkhandz repo. I am now waiting for upgrade to finish. 

Thank you. My brightness works in display already. I just need the keys f11 and f12 to work.

Mine are working properly once i had installed all the required kexts. 

@wmchris, is it safe to use different SMBIOS? One from MBP13,3? It has a different CPU then the one we are using. Only thing that I am missing currently is sound over HDMI. 

So it looks like Pandora isn’t installing the latest version of Clover (R. 4220), so I reformatted my USB sticks, re-downloaded the Sierra installation app, and tried again. This time I ran Hermes in “createinstallmedia” mode, and then installed Clover separately into the USB drive using the EFI v2 bootloader in UEFI-only mode. Swapped out the Clover folder for the files here, etc, and it still gave me the FakeSMC rebuild error. Good news is that my USB 3.0 drive is no longer giving me the garbled text error, so I’ve switched to using that drive for this installation.

I then tried reformatting and creating the Sierra USB boot using this tutorial here

http://www.imachak.tk/2016/12/install-create-macos-sierra-usb-boot-with-clover-bootloader.htm

and installed to the USB by entering this command into terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

I re-installed the Clover bootloader to the USB stick, and still got the error before freezing:

Here’s the rest of the viewable verbose log in case there’s anything important that I’m not seeing. There appear to be a few errors towards the bottom of the image, including a failure to bootstrap to path = /Library/LaunchAgents:

Running Clover in safe mode using the “-s” flag causes this error to come up instead before freezing:

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired

Still not entirely sure how to try to fix this.

Did you ever end up fixing this? I am having the exact same issue. I'm using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi with slide=15 and it lets me boot, but I only ever get to this error. I also don't have the right network card (intel one also) so I feel like that might be the issue? 

Mine are working properly once i had installed all the required kexts. 

@wmchris, is it safe to use different SMBIOS? One from MBP13,3? It has a different CPU then the one we are using. Only thing that I am missing currently is sound over HDMI. 

totally safe.

Regarding your problem: i dont have the samsung ssd, so yea its possible something is incompatible in my repository with this particular ssd. Would be really great if someone would be able to find the real reason and fix (beside simply overwriting everything with another clover version ;-))

Afaik it's possible that the kexts are not loaded, because i put them in the 10.13 folder and the installer itself is not "identified" as a high sierra system. I only did the upgrade from 10.12 to 10.13 with my files. maybe just moving from 10.13 to "Other" is enough to make it work. Can you check that?

Afaik it's possible that the kexts are not loaded, because i put them in the 10.13 folder and the installer itself is not "identified" as a high sierra system. I only did the upgrade from 10.12 to 10.13 with my files. maybe just moving from 10.13 to "Other" is enough to make it work. Can you check that?

I can not confirm by facts, exactly that is my experience based on the two re-installations I've done. Another thing I would like to add was that once the first installation failed (firmware unsupported error), I  had to reformat the whole disk to HFS (from APFS) in order to get it working again.

I created another partition as place holder for Windows 10 at the end of the drive.

Has anyone installed Windows 10 (dual boot, not bootcamp) after High Sierra with APFS? Worried about it overwriting the partition scheme and screwing something up...

totally safe.

Regarding your problem: i dont have the samsung ssd, so yea its possible something is incompatible in my repository with this particular ssd. Would be really great if someone would be able to find the real reason and fix (beside simply overwriting everything with another clover version ;-))

There is no difference between your repo files and the ones that I used in my run. Did a binary compare and they are completely the same. So only difference was that I put everything in the "Other" folder instead of the "10.13" folder. Probably has something to do with Clover not recognising the installer version as you said. 

Maybe update the github with this as the one of the possible solutions for the kextd stall AppleACPICPU error?

There is no difference between your repo files and the ones that I used in my run. Did a binary compare and they are completely the same. So only difference was that I put everything in the "Other" folder instead of the "10.13" folder. Probably has something to do with Clover not recognising the installer version as you said. 

Maybe update the github with this as the one of the possible solutions for the kextd stall AppleACPICPU error?

already done. it's just strange that it works on an upgrade, but not on a fresh install. :-) I actually thought it would be the other way around.

I can not confirm by facts, exactly that is my experience based on the two re-installations I've done. Another thing I would like to add was that once the first installation failed (firmware unsupported error), I  had to reformat the whole disk to HFS (from APFS) in order to get it working again.

I created another partition as place holder for Windows 10 at the end of the drive.

Has anyone installed Windows 10 (dual boot, not bootcamp) after High Sierra with APFS? Worried about it overwriting the partition scheme and screwing something up...

may you tell me more about the "firmware unsupported error"? how did you fix it?

there shouldnt be a problem with win10, as long as you already have a partition for it. The only problem is, that the installer of high sierra (step 2 after reboot) may not work with two available partitions and enabled NVRam Emulation - and you cant resize the current AFPS partition after creation without possible harm to your FS.

already done. it's just strange that it works on an upgrade, but not on a fresh install. :-) I actually thought it would be the other way around.

may you tell me more about the "firmware unsupported error"? how did you fix it?

I had to disable (rename/remove) the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, it apparently has to do with our NVIDIA GPUs (source: http://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-fix-macos-not-installed-computer/)

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         980.1 GB   disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Win10                   43.6 GB    disk0s3

I'll go along with installing win10 now through bootable USB - hoping for the best!

UPDATE:

There's no problem dual booting High Sierra APFS with Win10!

totally safe.

Thank you for taking the time to put this tutorial up. A few inputs for you. Is it possible to post your laptop specifications? so we all know what to expect when facing with issues.

I am on 12.6 right now alongside Windows and Archlinux. Is it safe for me to update to 13.2 now. I don't care about losing windows, but Archlinux cannot be screwed up. Thank you

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had to disable (rename/remove) the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, it apparently has to do with our NVIDIA GPUs (source: http://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-fix-macos-not-installed-computer/)

i had this fix in step7 of the tutorial, because i had to remove it, too - but there was no "firmware unsupported error" - just a random lock. So maybe i should add your error to the tutorial. do you remember the exact wording?

Thank you for taking the time to put this tutorial up. A few inputs for you. Is it possible to post your laptop specifications? so we all know what to expect when facing with issues.

I am on 12.6 right now alongside Windows and Archlinux. Is it safe for me to update to 13.2 now. I don't care about losing windows, but Archlinux cannot be screwed up. Thank you

multiboot works fine, but i cannot guarantee, that everything works flawless on your installation. Random bugs occur, so upgrade at your own risk.

Only suggestion: remove EmuVariable extension from your upgrade boot media. see Lockzis post i mentioned above.

i have two 9550, one with FHD and XG3, one with UHD and LiteOn. Both have OSX as main OS. Dualboot with Windows on one machine.

i had this fix in step7 of the tutorial, because i had to remove it, too - but there was no "firmware unsupported error" - just a random lock. So maybe i should add your error to the tutorial. do you remember the exact wording?

multiboot works fine, but i cannot guarantee, that everything works flawless on your installation. Random bugs occur, so upgrade at your own risk.

Only suggestion: remove EmuVariable extension from your upgrade boot media. see Lockzis post i mentioned above.

i have two 9550, one with FHD and XG3, one with UHD and LiteOn. Both have OSX as main OS. Dualboot with Windows on one machine.

I spend hours trying to boot into highsierra. I could not pass the osxaptiofixdrv cannot relocate kernel panic. I tried to boot back from the USB isntaller I got the same error. Very frustrating. Everything installed fine but botting back into the system was impossible

I spend hours trying to boot into highsierra. I could not pass the osxaptiofixdrv cannot relocate kernel panic. I tried to boot back from the USB isntaller I got the same error. Very frustrating. Everything installed fine but botting back into the system was impossible

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.13/Tutorial_10.13_Step7.md#error-couldnt-allocate-runtime-area--unable-to-start-installer--unable-to-boot-at-all

you have to remove the old extension and replace it with osxaptiov2.

Hey there, 

I have had a problem while installing 10.13.2 and  wanted to tell you about the problem and how I solved it, because it might help someone.

I was able to boot into the macos installation.

However, after first reboot the installation crashed and after rebooting again, macos installation failed with the message

macOS could not be installed on your computer

An error occurred while verifying firmware

I solved the problem by using OSXAptioFix2 and Clover r4289 (I had an older version of Clover).

After first reboot, the installation crashed again but then - after another reboot - everything installed without any further problems.

If someone knows why this happened and why it helped, one can tell me...

Hey there, 

I have had a problem while installing 10.13.2 and  wanted to tell you about the problem and how I solved it, because it might help someone.

I was able to boot into the macos installation.

However, after first reboot the installation crashed and after rebooting again, macos installation failed with the message

An error occurred while verifying firmware

I solved the problem by using OSXAptioFix2 and Clover r4289 (I had an older version of Clover).

After first reboot, the installation crashed again but then - after another reboot - everything installed without any further problems.

If someone knows why this happened and why it helped, one can tell me...

see literally the post above yours....

I had to disable (rename/remove) the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, it apparently has to do with our NVIDIA GPUs (source: http://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-fix-macos-not-installed-computer/)

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme 1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 980.1 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Win10 43.6 GB disk0s3

I'll go along with installing win10 now through bootable USB - hoping for the best!

UPDATE:

There's no problem dual booting High Sierra APFS with Win10!

So are you using APFS as you filesystem now?

upgrading automatically converts the FS to AFPS. So..... yes.

For some weird reason I was able to finish the installation. With osxAptiov2. After getting the allocation error it finally booted up. After installing clover to ESp and rebooting I kept getting the allocated error. I cannot figure out how to calculate that from your profile. It is kind of course fusing. I was able to boot up with osxAptio2000.

I've noticed that the "disablehibernate.sh" script is failing because it's trying to remove a folder (sleepimage) without the "-r" flag.

It'd work better if changing this specific line to:

sudo rm -rf /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Another topic:

Is anyone having copy&paste issues on High Sierra?
After updating from Sierra, copy and paste won't work for some applications. It might not be a hackintosh specific issue, just checking.

BTW, thanks again for this guide, it sure saves a lot of time and it's very appreciated.

Cheers!

*Edit*

About the copy and paste issue, It happened because I've patched the core display (instead of running the Lilu version). I'll see if I still have the original kext (before the patch).

*Edit 2*

I've restored the original core display and the copy & paste issue is gone.

I've noticed that the "disablehibernate.sh" script is failing because it's trying to remove a folder (sleepimage) without the "-r" flag.

It'd work better if changing this specific line to:

sudo rm -rf /private/var/vm/sleepimage

the sleepimage is afaik a flat file, not a directory

Exact wording:

An error occured while verifying firmware.

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

If I recall right I opned the console and there it was a message about securityd killed all processes through sigterm due to "Firmware unsuported", but the wording above is what the installer wizard says.

Did anyone get a blank Trackpad preferences panel in the System Preferences?

I have the same issue. My SMBIOS is set as iMac though and trying to switch it to MacBookPro13,3 results in a crash. Using Darkhandz config.plist does work though. But trying to change the serial numbers and stuff causes a crash. Don't understand it.

I have the same issue. My SMBIOS is set as iMac though and trying to switch it to MacBookPro13,3 results in a crash. Using Darkhandz config.plist does work though. But trying to change the serial numbers and stuff causes a crash. Don't understand it.

have a blank trackpad, too. same as on sierra.

i cant confirm this. i changed my smbios to MBP13,3 on one machine and to MBP9 to another - works without any problem.