[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

What do you mean by "final child nodes"? Anything deeper on the DSB1 chain is the actual device that gets plugged in (DEV0@0).

Sorry, I didn't realize at moment of this post real situation. And real situation is that macos is not initalizing TB at all - i'm still not sure about exact reasons but i have some ideas.

Frist of all, problem is somewhere around NHI - maybe, interface itself or just small part inside called ICM (Connection Manager). So things are not initialized properly or just macos doesn't like them - still not sure. Trying to find some answers at the moment.

What i'm sure - we have to understand and provide correct ThunderboltConfig and ThunderboltDROM device properties - they are used to build all communication with NHI (on windows/linux this things are done by driver in OS, but in mac EFI tb driver is exporting information about thunderbolt structure/configuration as device properties - what an odd solution)

• Like 2

Thunderbolt is supposed to be a driverless spec, i.e. The pcie configuration is meant to be handled by firmware rather than OS. Unfortunately the spec is still closed (until some time next year), but your findings do actually make sense. Perhaps there's a thinderbolt-related .efi file in the firmware? (We already know there's an NVRAM variable "tbt-options" that takes a value of "4" on MBP13,3 and 14,3.)

The more I think about it the more I also think TRPE is the key function when it comes to enumeration since it checks AVND (device vendor id). At the same time I noticed your screenshot was still missing the children of IOThunderboltPort@5. I believe it is related to the IOThunderboltFamily kext--I know the NVRAM option is.

• Like 1

Thunderbolt is supposed to be a driverless spec, i.e. The pcie configuration is meant to be handled by firmware rather than OS. Unfortunately the spec is still closed (until some time next year), but your findings do actually make sense. Perhaps there's a thinderbolt-related .efi file in the firmware? (We already know there's an NVRAM variable "tbt-options" that takes a value of "4" on MBP13,3 and 14,3.)

The more I think about it the more I also think TRPE is the key function when it comes to enumeration since it checks AVND (device vendor id). At the same time I noticed your screenshot was still missing the children of IOThunderboltPort@5. I believe it is related to the IOThunderboltFamily kext--I know the NVRAM option is.

Yes, Port@5 is missing as NHI switch is not properly recognized/poplated. Also, looking on IOService properties - i see that NHI has TX count 0x8 and RX count 0x0 - that most probably indicates that command interchange with ICM is not working as expected. At the moment i'm checking different options starting from rMBP acpi to sources of Linux TB driver - to understand where problem may occur. But IOThunderBoldFamily is giving zero messages into logs - os it is very hard to understand at least something.

By the way - you have XPS 9560, and as i remember - latest NVM for it's TB is 21. Do you have Windows installed? Can you run HWInfo, find thunderbolt pcie line, expand all children nodes and make screenshot? Or at least tell what NHI and DSB0-DSB3 nodes in macos has device/vendor id's. I want to try to update TB firmware on my 9550 with one from 9560 - if they have same TB controller. hope i'll not break it :)

• Like 1

Yes, Port@5 is missing as NHI switch is not properly recognized/poplated. Also, looking on IOService properties - i see that NHI has TX count 0x8 and RX count 0x0 - that most probably indicates that command interchange with ICM is not working as expected. At the moment i'm checking different options starting from rMBP acpi to sources of Linux TB driver - to understand where problem may occur. But IOThunderBoldFamily is giving zero messages into logs - os it is very hard to understand at least something.

By the way - you have XPS 9560, and as i remember - latest NVM for it's TB is 21. Do you have Windows installed? Can you run HWInfo, find thunderbolt pcie line, expand all children nodes and make screenshot? Or at least tell what NHI and DSB0-DSB3 nodes in macos has device/vendor id's. I want to try to update TB firmware on my 9550 with one from 9560 - if they have same TB controller. hope i'll not break it :)

Yes, the latest NVM is 21.

Here's a screenshot folder of all the stuff in HWInfo. Note the "Cactus Ridge" controller is just the TB3-to-TB2 adapter (I believe it's also the "pci-bridge@0" under IOPP under UPS0@0 under DSB1@3 in my rMBP screenshot posted last page, which should just be where DEV0@0 is for that DSB node).

TB_Tree_Windows.zip

I have installed 10.13GM to my XPS 15 9550 but i found the BRT6-SSDT are failed to control brightness through F11 and F12.

Press F11 and F12 have no function but volumn was ok.

I use AppleSmartTouchPadDriver.

How did you start OSX after installing/upgrading from 10.12? I always got a panic after restarting from installation, and as I know NVME should be without any patching (native working). Is it correct?

@goodwin_c

Here you go. Full dump.

Part 1/2 (to fit in upload limit - Sorry about the .zip -> .7z.001 shenanigans; that's the only way to get it all to fit and upload!)

Part 2/2

DarwinDumper_3.0.3_18.09_22.05.50_MacBookPro11,3_Apple_X64_Sierra_16E195.7z.001.zip

DarwinDumper_3.0.3_18.09_22.05.50_MacBookPro11,3_Apple_X64_Sierra_16E195.7z.002.zip

• Like 1

that's awesome!! Just wondering what specs do you have? how much RAM, SSD type?

Also, are all your devices working?

It has i7 6820HQ processor, 4K display, 16GB RAM, 512GB SATA Samsung SSD. The builtin wireless card doesn't work (Intel 8260), so I'm using a USB wireless card. Except that everything is working fine.

Hey all, I’ve been attempting to get Sierra running on my XPS 9550 for over a week now with no success. I’ve been following this tutorial closely, as well as reading through all of the related troubleshooting steps and forum posts I can find online, and still can’t find a solution for the errors I’m getting during boot.

Quick Specs:

-I must have one of the newer revs of the 9550, as it came with the Killer 1535 Wifi card and the SK Hynix SC300 SSD

- Replaced the Killer wifi card with an Intel 8260

-Intel i7-6700HQ

-16GB RAM

-4K display

-Using the Sierra 10.12.6 installer app downloaded from the Mac App Store

-Running BIOS 1.2.25

The Issue:

Clover boots fine up until the following two lines are produced in verbose:

iMac.local com.apple.xpc.launch[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchhd.domain.pid.macOS Installer.474) <Error>: Failed to bootstrap to path: path = /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.Webkit.Plugin.32.xpc, error = 107: Malformed bundle
considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC triggered rebuild

The boot freezes after the “FakeSMC triggered rebuild” line is produced. Pressing spacebar only reproduces the “Malformed bundle” line again. I’ve let this sit for over an hour, and no further progress is made. It seems to me that the FakeSMC line is the real culprit here.

AoteH92.jpglgyk7qA.jpg

Things I’ve tried:

- Various combinations of –f, -s, -no-zp, cpus=1, dart=0, nv_disable=1, kext-dev-mode=1 flags

- Using the –x flag causes the boot to immediately fail

- Creating the bootable USB drive with both Pandora’s Box and ##### (latest versions of both)

- Trying 2 different USB 2.0 16GB flash drives (both are SanDisk Cruzer models)

-Trying a USB 3.0 drive caused the garbled text + “prohibited sign” error during boot (Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB model, perhaps the fact that it’s 32GB is causing the error?)

- First attempts were with BIOS 1.4.0. I then downgraded to 1.2.25, then 1.2.21, resetting the BIOS defaults each time before changing settings. Currently running BIOS 1.2.25.

- Downloading and using the latest FakeSMC kext from RehabMan

- Creating an Other folder in EFI/CLOVER/kexts and adding all kexts from kexts/10.12 into that

- Manually adding FakeSMC into S/L/E

- Enabling/disabling the legacy boot option in the BIOS

- Doing the hex calculations/conversion for the slide flag (set to slide=50)

- Using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 (slide=0) instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv

- Using 4kconfig.plsit as the default config.plist and reformatting my SSD to 4k sector size

- I've got my BIOS settings set as close to the ones in the tutorial here as possible. The only thing I'm unsure of is enabling/disabling the CSM setting, in which there isn't a clear setting for this within Dell's BIOS. Is this equivalent to enabling/disabling the legacy boot BIOS options?

I feel like I’ve run out of things to try, and there hasn’t been a clear answer online on what to do about the errors I’m getting. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me insane!

EFI.zip