[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Oh, don't get me wrong, lid wake works--I just have the situation that Drfrag's post in this thread states:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317993-fix-enable-lid-wake-from-sleep-for-skylake-iris-graphics/

I think Syscl's patch fixes this, but I need him to respond so I can understand why what he did works (0x0A->0x0F tells me almost nothing). I already know where the values I need are located in the SKLFramebuffer kext, it's just that Syscl never explained what the value 0x0A actually represents/how he determined that value (the 191b section already has an 0x0F). Come to think of it, his patch may not even do what I think it does (removes the requirement to push a button on lid wake) and might actually just enable lidwake. In which case, this becomes a different problem.

Re: corruption problem: if it's NVRAM related, it ought to be fixable with FakeSMC/nvram.plist, no?

Ive using a Dell XPS 9550 with OS X 10.12.5. All is running fine. But I loose Sound after Sleep. (I have CodecCommander in Use) Only plugin headphone is reactivating Sound. Is there a fix for that (I don't want to use VoodooHDA, many bad side effects)

Hi, 

what is the recommend way for updating to the latest version of macOS and wmchris's clover config?

I'm working with macOS 10.12.2 and wmchris's clover config from 15. January 2017, without any problems.

I am no expert so i wonder if the best way to update is to reinstall the latest macOS and clover from scratch (=formatting)?

Or can i just do a regular macOS update  and then copy the latest clover config to EFI and doing the adjustments? Is this possible after updating?

Thanks for helping with this newbie question.

As Apple revealed macOS 10.13 High Sierra with quite a few new features, I wonder whether you think it is likely for a 10.13 guide to come out for our XPS 15 9550...

There may might some major problems, for example concerning the new file system...

For device ID 8086 a171, it injects 8086 0xa170. It needs to inject 0x9d70. Unfortunately, it probably will not work with your repo--there's way too much conflicting stuff there. I'm going to put up what I have, as I've said before, when I'm finished. All that remains is

1) Someone getting back to me about lid wake (I don't like having to press a button on the keyboard to re-enable the display)

2) Thunderbolt. NHI already shows up, we just need to get it enumerating devices

And then, unless anyone actually figures out the whole NVMe corruption thing (e.g., why is my sleepimage 10GB of ZEROES??? and I'm using the 4k sector patch. Also, next person who says it's due to HWP gets hit with a hammer.) this laptop will basically be a Mac. And Apple hasn't even released Kaby Lake Macs yet. :P

EDIT: Err... Forgot that the SD Card reader doesn't work. Once an actual working driver for 10EC 525A comes out, then it'll basically be a Mac with a 4K touchscreen and 100% AdobeRGB.

Can you post an ioreg showing the NHI device?

"MacBook Pro-NHI_NoEnum" is the current reliable state.

"Surprise working" is when this happened. And then it happened again.

"PluggedOnBoot" is, well, TB device plugged in on boot.

Sometimes it just feels so tantalizingly close.......

Btw, I'm going to upload my build hopefully within the next few days; I just want to figure out some ACPISensors weirdness to see if I can get accurate readings from the fans/EC temp monitors for HWMonitor. Then the only things left would be Thunderbolt support and NVMe/hibernate corruption (ignoring SD card since no stable, working driver exists). I think that "push button to bring up screen on lid wake" is actually handled in ACPI by EV6, and it might simply not be worth trying to fix. Scratch that, it might just be darkwake. EDIT: Yep, darkwake=1 fixed that. Note: I stopped getting "Disk Not Ejected Properly" messages, too when combined with a UPRW fix. I wonder if I can charge in sleep...

IORegs.zip

I installed Sierra on my XPS 15 9550 with an i7 6700hq, 512gb SSD (Toshiba) and a1080p screen. I followed this guide on 15. January 2017 and installed Sierra and barely used it until now. Are there any fixes or updates to this guide that I should do? Or am I just fine with my OS X install? And what exactly would I need to do?

I have a few problems though but I am not sure if they can be fixed. First of all in Clover it doesnt automatically boot into an OS after a few seconds even though I configured it to do so. Besides that

OS X failed to boot some of the times with a ntfs error and "failed to initialize graphics firmware..." which always worked after a reboot and didnt happen in the last few days when I started OS X again (as I said I pretty much didnt use it).

Then there are a few smaller problems in OS X itself. First of all my intel wifi 8265 doesnt work (upgraded it myself to that one, my default one did actually work but its horrible in windows...9. Does anyone know a good small wifi

stick that would work and that I can just let plugged in my laptop without bothering me? Besides that I am using AppleHDA which works perfectly fine but I tried to install voodooHDA before, didnt like it and uninstalled it but there is still the voodooHDA option in the settings which of course just gives back an error that it couldnt be found if I try to click it, how do I remove that? Last but not least I kinda dislike the touchpad driver because the mouse tends to jump between places while using it which really annoys me and I am pretty sure I use more battery in OS X compared to Windows and A LOT more if I just close the laptop (sounds like the wrong word but I dont know the correct english word for it) and let it stay like that for a few hours.

I hope you guys can help me with my problems, thanks.

edit: Nevermind booting into OS X still has some problems http://imgur.com/a/hgmzt and the audiojack does have some problems. It works just fine when I plug in my headphones for the first time but

if I plug them out and in again the audio gets horrible until I reboot.

edit2: yeah 20% battery in 45 minutes browsing seems a bit much compared to windows with the XPS 15 with full hd screen and bigger battery.

I installed Sierra on my XPS 15 9550 with an i7 6700hq, 512gb SSD (Toshiba) and a1080p screen. I followed this guide on 15. January 2017 and installed Sierra and barely used it until now. Are there any fixes or updates to this guide that I should do? Or am I just fine with my OS X install? And what exactly would I need to do?

battery issue: you didnt disable the SD card reader in the EFI. this drains the battery extremly. If applied correctly there is no difference in windows and osx in battery usage.

wifi card: there is an experimental driver for this, but i would suggest using a different card which is working well in windows and osx. Just look on the web.

audio: install syscls applehda fix

mouse: just configure the touchpad config in the corresponding kext as you like it. everyone has different opinion of "how a touchpad should behave".

for me it looks like you didnt follow all the steps in the tutorial. i would suggest a reinstallation

As Apple revealed macOS 10.13 High Sierra with quite a few new features, I wonder whether you think it is likely for a 10.13 guide to come out for our XPS 15 9550...

There may might some major problems, for example concerning the new file system...

tutorial is possible, but only after a final version of high sierra is available (and if its upgradeable at all). This will obviously not be available close to the release date if it requires additional hacks/steps/tweaks which need to be discovered first.

Regarding the new FS - i doubt we have to use it to boot. The problems are more in driver/kext compatibility.

Hi, 

what is the recommend way for updating to the latest version of macOS and wmchris's clover config?

I'm working with macOS 10.12.2 and wmchris's clover config from 15. January 2017, without any problems.

I am no expert so i wonder if the best way to update is to reinstall the latest macOS and clover from scratch (=formatting)?

Or can i just do a regular macOS update  and then copy the latest clover config to EFI and doing the adjustments? Is this possible after updating?

Thanks for helping with this newbie question.

depends. you should upgrade your clover first, which will result in a non booting system. Then you have to upgrade your EFI and boot into your old os again. after that you can do a normal osx upgrade using the combo updater from apple or from the appstore. This is not an issue of OSX but because Dell released a firmware which is incompatible with a module used to make clover boot and i upgraded the tutorial to work with the new efi again.

Re: corruption problem: if it's NVRAM related, it ought to be fixable with FakeSMC/nvram.plist, no?

hibernate (suspend to disk) not working != corruption problem. These are two completly different things.

• Like 2

I have a few problems though but I am not sure if they can be fixed. First of all in Clover it doesnt automatically boot into an OS after a few seconds even though I configured it to do so. Besides that

OS X failed to boot some of the times with a ntfs error and "failed to initialize graphics firmware..." which always worked after a reboot and didnt happen in the last few days when I started OS X again (as I said I pretty much didnt use it).

Then there are a few smaller problems in OS X itself. First of all my intel wifi 8265 doesnt work (upgraded it myself to that one, my default one did actually work but its horrible in windows...9. Does anyone know a good small wifi

stick that would work and that I can just let plugged in my laptop without bothering me? Besides that I am using AppleHDA which works perfectly fine but I tried to install voodooHDA before, didnt like it and uninstalled it but there is still the voodooHDA option in the settings which of course just gives back an error that it couldnt be found if I try to click it, how do I remove that? Last but not least I kinda dislike the touchpad driver because the mouse tends to jump between places while using it which really annoys me and I am pretty sure I use more battery in OS X compared to Windows and A LOT more if I just close the laptop (sounds like the wrong word but I dont know the correct english word for it) and let it stay like that for a few hours.

I hope you guys can help me with my problems, thanks.

edit: Nevermind booting into OS X still has some problems http://imgur.com/a/hgmzt and the audiojack does have some problems. It works just fine when I plug in my headphones for the first time but

if I plug them out and in again the audio gets horrible until I reboot.

edit2: yeah 20% battery in 45 minutes browsing seems a bit much compared to windows with the XPS 15 with full hd screen and bigger battery.

hey, i use this: "D-Link DWA-131 - Revision E" external USB-Wifi. D-Link provides official 10.12 drivers which work very well. (only used it in 10.12.2 (16C68) though )                         

hey guys, anyone can guide me on how to get the TB16 dock working with Sierra on this machine?

TB doesnt work because everyone i know who could debug it doesnt own any TB enabled device ;-) so i doubt you'll get it to work on the XPS15.

@wmchris

Can you explain me which step is disabling SD Cardreader and do you know a solution that prevent breaking sound after sleep. (I have to plug Headphone and remove to get sound back. Codeccommander is already in use)

THX

TB doesnt work because everyone i know who could debug it doesnt own any TB enabled device ;-) so i doubt you'll get it to work on the XPS15.

It should work if you plug it in before booting and have "Thunderbolt - No security" set in the BIOS. 

Also, I have TB devices, and hotplug sometimes works. It's just two things that need addressing:

1. Enumeration does not occur when hotplug doesn't work. The NHI shows up, but something is failing.

2. The system always crashes upon removal, as we need to treat the TB device as an ExpressCard (_RMV return one) for it to show up in the first place.

If anyone you know is willing to help me figure this out, we might be able to do this.

@wmchris

Can you explain me which step is disabling SD Cardreader and do you know a solution that prevent breaking sound after sleep. (I have to plug Headphone and remove to get sound back. Codeccommander is already in use)

THX

Find "Goodwin_c"'s post about ALCPlugFix. That might help.

battery issue: you didnt disable the SD card reader in the EFI. this drains the battery extremly. If applied correctly there is no difference in windows and osx in battery usage.

wifi card: there is an experimental driver for this, but i would suggest using a different card which is working well in windows and osx. Just look on the web.

audio: install syscls applehda fix

mouse: just configure the touchpad config in the corresponding kext as you like it. everyone has different opinion of "how a touchpad should behave".

for me it looks like you didnt follow all the steps in the tutorial. i would suggest a reinstallation

The part about disabling the SD card reader got added after I installed Sierra so I didnt do it. I guess that is an easy fix and I can just turn it on again on the rare case that I need it I guess. Still dont understand why it

would drain the battery so much.

I will probably end up using a small usb wifi stick for OS X because I really like the intel wifi 8265 in windows, it works really well!

I guess I will just reinstall OS X when high sierra is supported, thanks for your help.

Good day. My laptop is working on batterry power about 3-4 hours, depend on consumption of course, with powered SD reader ( due to driver construction). For sound wake after sleep I'm using EAPADfix.kext instead codeccomander.kext

Good day. My laptop is working on batterry power about 3-4 hours, depend on consumption of course, with powered SD reader ( due to driver construction). For sound wake after sleep I'm using EAPADfix.kext instead codeccomander.kext

Out of curiosity, when you run "Intel Power Gadget," what is your idle power consumption? 3-4 hours seems very low; I have a 9560, 97Wh battery, SD card reader left ON and I'm at 6-8hrs.

Out of curiosity, when you run "Intel Power Gadget," what is your idle power consumption? 3-4 hours seems very low; I have a 9560, 97Wh battery, SD card reader left ON and I'm at 6-8hrs.

the 9550 is shipped with either 84Wh or a small 56Wh battery. Pretty sure he has the latter.

Small note about upcoming High Sierra:

- looks like from year to year developers are getting older and there are a lot more stupid errors in code

- so, if you will try to load HS installer for DP1 - you will finish with AppleACPIPlatform kernel panic

- again, they started doing really stupid error and breaking things that were working earlier

- root cause of this problem is in ACPI table ID field for table BGRP

So, in short, fast solution - in CLOVER add table drop for table BGRP - it is useless for MacOS (as far as i know - it just provides information for dell logo location in memory, for Windows, to show vendor logo instead of windows logo)

• Like 1

Small note about upcoming High Sierra:

- looks like from year to year developers are getting older and there are a lot more stupid errors in code)

Pretty sure he's referring to Apple coders ;-)

Thanks for the tips.

(I'm learning lots for my Dell Optiplex 9020, which looks like a walk in the park by comparison). Sorry, kinda off/on topic. My bad  :rolleyes:

Hi all!
Now I need a little help.

First of all, my specs:

i7 6700 HQ

4k touck

16 GB 2166MHz RAM

1 TB NVME Toshiba SSD > no 4k sector

In that time, I had the .25 BIOS version. So in the first try, I created a USB with the official macOS installer, then installed the lates CLOVER with OsxAptioFix2Drv. I faced with this error:

OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides for \macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
Error allocating 0x***** pages at 0x000000000******* alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area
Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

No problem, tried with OsxAptioFixDrv. The issue:

AllocateRelockBlock(): can not allocate relocation block (0x**** pages below 0x*********): Not Found

I used google and I found out there is a problem with memory fragmentation. Tried to calculate the right number with no success.

Than, I manage to start the installer with this method:

- BIOS downgrade to .21 version

- OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi editing 0x10000000 to 0x20000000 then rename it

- paste this modified .efi to /EFI/ClOVER/drivers64UEFI next to OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

- in CLOVER used the slide=0

But the problem is the following

When the grey backgrounded Apple logo disappears, it start the instalion process immediately right to the USB. No language selection, disk utility is unavaliable.

Here is the install log: https://pastebin.com/fDAGyzWw

This is interesting:

Jun 15 04:42:14 iMac Unknown[511]: Jun 15 04:42:14  Language Chooser[510] <Error>: CGColorSpaceCreateWithName failed for kCGColorSpaceITUR_709
Jun 15 04:42:14 iMac Unknown[511]: Jun 15 04:42:14  Language Chooser[510] <Error>: CGColorSpaceCreateWithName failed for kCGColorSpaceITUR_2020
Jun 15 04:42:14 iMac Unknown[511]: Jun 15 04:42:14  Language Chooser[510] <Error>: CGColorSpaceCreateWithName failed for kCGColorSpaceROMMRGB

that is why I cannot choose language

Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Mutable product: Looking for automation file at /Volumes/Image Volume/macOS Install Data/minstallconfig.xml
Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Looking for automation file at /Volumes/Image Volume/macOS Install Data/minstallconfig.xml
Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Failed to delete automation file: The volume “USB” is read only.
Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Found target disk by UUID: AEDB7B94-489E-3215-9950-3A5C49F8E374
Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Install will be automated.
Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Install will performed using distribution/collection at /Volumes/Image Volume/macOS Install Data/InstallInfo.plist.
Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Install will be a InstallInfo.plist install.
Jun 15 04:42:22 iMac OSInstaller[535]: Starting target evaluation queue.

and this is talking about automated installion.

So my question is, anybody faced with this issue? How can I force to install to my SSD?

Thank You Guys!