[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I followed the guide but i am not able to get into the OS environment after installing the kexts. System goes into a boot loop. I have Dell XPS 15 9550 with 4K screen and Samsung SSD. 

While in the boot loop text is garbled and "still waiting for root device" is being printed, although barely readable. What can I do to fix this? I installed the NVMe Hackr. I assume that this

has something to do with the SSD? 

I tried to add new boot entry which will load cloverx64.efi from EFI, but that didn't help. ( Doing this and removing the rest of the boot options actually fires up Support Assistant and complains that OS is missing )

I don't know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

S.

thats pretty strange. were you able to install the OS in the first place? If yes: did you also move the SSDT-Hackr.aml into your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder? Without it the supplied "spoofed" Hackr Kext will not work.

(See Tutorial Step 4)

thats pretty strange. were you able to install the OS in the first place? If yes: did you also move the SSDT-Hackr.aml into your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder? Without it the supplied "spoofed" Hackr Kext will not work.

(See Tutorial Step 4)

Yes I have actually. To answer the second question, yes. I installed it without any problems. Made it bootable on its own no problems at all. Installing kexts and new config.plist produces the boot loop.

Yes I have actually. To answer the second question, yes. I installed it without any problems. Made it bootable on its own no problems at all. Installing kexts and new config.plist produces the boot loop.

Just to make sure: you use HackrNVMeFamilySpoof-10_12_2.kext and not HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext?

Just to make sure: you use HackrNVMeFamilySpoof-10_12_2.kext and not HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext?

I could swear that I put that one on my first try and that it didn't want to boot. It boots now. Sorry, my bad. Thanks. One more question. I am getting very poor performance from integrated GPU, why is this? I have copied all kexts from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 to /Library/Extensions and recreated the kext cache, but I get 31MB of VRAM.

The only problem I have is the touchpad 2 finger scrolling doesn't work well, it is like 2-3 of 10 times I scroll with 2 fingers it just didn't move. I suspect that it might incorrectly recognizes as 2 finger taps or something else. How can I disable all actions/gestures except click/right click/2 finger scrolling? I try to edit the Info.plist inside VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext, but there are millions of options that I can't figure out from their names.

You'd have to edit the source code to do that: The plist doesn't do the mapping. VoodooPS2 maps swipes to keyboard combinations in code, so it's not an easy thing to do if you aren't proficient in C++.

I could swear that I put that one on my first try and that it didn't want to boot. It boots now. Sorry, my bad. Thanks. One more question. I am getting very poor performance from integrated GPU, why is this? I have copied all kexts from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 to /Library/Extensions and recreated the kext cache, but I get 31MB of VRAM.

then a patch is missing (minsizestolen)

then a patch is missing (minsizestolen)

I made sure that config.plist is replaced and that the minStolenSize is still present in the replaced config.plist. On this boot however I am getting this 

[iGPU] Chose to use graphics firmware based on platform

[iGPU] ***********************************************************************************

[iGPU] Failed to initialize graphics firmware. Falling back to host-side scheduling

[GPU] Scheduler interface revision = 1: Default EL Scheduler

[iGPU] ***********************************************************************************

[iGPU] Graphics accelerator is using scheduler Interface revision 1: Default EL Scheduler

[iGPU] Scheduler: Multiple channel indexes per command streamer

[iGPU] Scheduler: Process CSB using NWS.

[iGPU] Scheduler: PM notify enabled

[iGPU] Graphics Address: PPGTT, Separate Address Space

[iGPU] MultiForceWake Enabled: Using 3D Driver

[iGPU] Scheduler Throttle Cap = 100ms.

Setting BTCoex Config: enable 2G:1, profile 2g:0, enable 5G:1, proflle_5G:0

I0ConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, Llk 1,

I0ConsoleUsers: gl0ScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0 

Did you removed the FakeID from Clover's config.plist?

I haven't touched the original provided by the wmchris. Just replaced like specified in tutorial.

then fakeid is not set anymore. some people had this issue in the past. just read the corresponding threads a lil bit. the error above is not an error, thats normal.

• Like 1

You'd have to edit the source code to do that: The plist doesn't do the mapping. VoodooPS2 maps swipes to keyboard combinations in code, so it's not an easy thing to do if you aren't proficient in C++.

I gave it a try and as expected, I understand nothing from the source code :D. Is there anything I can tweak without changing source code to improve the touchpad scrolling?

then fakeid is not set anymore. some people had this issue in the past. just read the corresponding threads a lil bit. the error above is not an error, thats normal.

Does this have something to do with the fact that I am using 10.12.5 version of OSX?

Going into the Clover boot options and changing the FakeID to 0x12345678 for Graphics did actually got me into the working environment. But the main problem of 31MB of VRAM is still present. Going into the System preferences -> Graphics it says that no kext was loaded for Intel GPU, is this normal?

Edited by th3_v0ice

Great as always Goodwin, thanks! Any issue so far?

Nope, same as before - TB not tested as i have no TB hardware to play with (but USB-C is working), plus CoreDisplay needs workarounds (again, same as before - patch or CoreDisplayFix kext with Lilu) and NVRAM is still broken ({censored}, i have strict feeling that something in kernel itself or in boot.efi is preventing it from working correctly). Everything else works perfectly with feeling like you are using real Mac :)

• Like 1

Well goodwin_c suggested the following fix, 

sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg'  /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay
sudo sed -i.vanilla 's/Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4/Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Wait for 2 - 3 minutes and restart the pc. It should boot without problems and without fakeID.

This solved the problem of the graphics for me.

Well goodwin_c suggested the following fix, 

sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg'  /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay
sudo sed -i.vanilla 's/Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4/Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Wait for 2 - 3 minutes and restart the pc. It should boot without problems and without fakeID.

This solved the problem of the graphics for me.

sooooo.... you forgot the UHD kexts from the tutorial step 4...

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/UHD-Kexts

(and yes, there is an additional command in your post, but this is afaik only required for HDMI audio out on 13,3 smbios and will be triggered on https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/AppleHDA_sysCL/install.sh)

Nope, same as before - TB not tested as i have no TB hardware to play with (but USB-C is working), plus CoreDisplay needs workarounds (again, same as before - patch or CoreDisplayFix kext with Lilu) and NVRAM is still broken ({censored}, i have strict feeling that something in kernel itself or in boot.efi is preventing it from working correctly). Everything else works perfectly with feeling like you are using real Mac :)

I can almost guarantee that TB doesn't work. I'm trying to solve this one, but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out. At best it can occasionally detect something, but it's very unreliable and the TB implementation Dell used guarantees a hard-lock on device removal. :/

sooooo.... you forgot the UHD kexts from the tutorial step 4...

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/UHD-Kexts

(and yes, there is an additional command in your post, but this is afaik only required for HDMI audio out on 13,3 smbios and will be triggered on https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/AppleHDA_sysCL/install.sh)

I haven't. Actually I copied those, I haven't updated the cache after it. That was the problem. 

Guys I don't know if you have sleep/wake problems, but mine works when I open it and press the power button for a brief moment. The screen turns on. 

I haven't. Actually I copied those, I haven't updated the cache after it. That was the problem. 

Guys I don't know if you have sleep/wake problems, but mine works when I open it and press the power button for a brief moment. The screen turns on. 

normally it should wake with no problem by just opening the lid.

normally it should wake with no problem by just opening the lid.

yes but the screen does not power on. I see the keyboard leds are on, but I have to push a button, to turn on the screen (first world problem :D )

yes but the screen does not power on. I see the keyboard leds are on, but I have to push a button, to turn on the screen (first world problem :D )

On mine - it is same for all time i remember. After sleep - you need to press any button on keyboard yo light-up screen (it can be any button, not only power). Will check on next week how it is working on real MBP

P.S. Just asked friend with real MBP12,1 - he told that on real mac screen is lighting automatically. So, looks like we have one more thing to fix for full perfection :)

On mine - it is same for all time i remember. After sleep - you need to press any button on keyboard yo light-up screen (it can be any button, not only power). Will check on next week how it is working on real MBP

P.S. Just asked friend with real MBP12,1 - he told that on real mac screen is lighting automatically. So, looks like we have one more thing to fix for full perfection :)

for me, there is more things to do to achieve the "full perfection"

- battery draining fix (1%/2mins isnt normal i guess)

- touchpad gestures isnt so responsive

- screen is turning off no matter what after a while. It just power off when I dont use the laptop after ~2-3 mins.

thats enough for now :D

seeking the web for solutions