[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

Thank you so much for this cool guide!

I have installed 10.12.3 from beginning. Everything is very smooth, except touchpad. Tap to click feature is not working, two fingers gesture is kind of glitchy. 

Is it possible to fix it? I think that I have not deleted Apple Default Drivers, because when I executed these line:

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.bak

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.bak

I have these errors:

mv: rename /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.bak: No such file or directory

mv: rename /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.bak: No such file or directory

Could you help me please?  Maybe, in 10.12.3 these files were renamed or moved somewhere?

ignore it.

A big step for 4K display and no need 4k patch anymore.

1.Restore your vanilla CoreDisplay.

2.Place the Lilu.kext and CoreDisplayFixup.kext to Clover/Kext/Others or L/E or S/L/E.

attachicon.gifLilu.kext.zip

attachicon.gifCoreDisplayFixup.kext.zip

3.Run this command in terminal

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

checked it and did a quick scope thu the binary, seems safe and works fine. I added this to the repository and updated the tutorial. Now the Dell 9550 is 100% update proof, if everything is done correctly.

• Like 1

checked it and did a quick scope thu the binary, seems safe and works fine. I added this to the repository and updated the tutorial. Now the Dell 9550 is 100% update proof, if everything is done correctly.

But now we have native nvram problem.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

But now we have native nvram problem.

on my system the native nvram didnt work at all. so no difference. works well with nvram emulation.

Dell XPS15 roadmap to make it a real mac clone (of a non dGPU mac of course):

• nvram fix to native one
  • aptio2 stabilization for suspend to disk and filevault
  • improved hotplug on USB-C

on my system the native nvram didnt work at all. so no difference. works well with nvram emulation.

Dell XPS15 roadmap to make it a real mac clone (of a non dGPU mac of course):

• nvram fix to native one
  • aptio2 stabilization for suspend to disk and filevault
  • improved hotplug on USB-C

I hope throw the osxaptiofixv2drv or osxaptiofixdri because these drvies are too unstable and can cause a lot of problem.

I thought it may be solved by patch the boot.efi but i have no idea now.

Guys, I find out that if you Modify Keys in Keyboards settings, then touchpad gestures will stop working. Any fixes or ideas?

As I understand, this is because gestures are emulated as button click. And gestures are linked to physical buttons, not button ID. So, if I move Command to Ctrl button, switch desktops gesture will stop working.

Guys, I find out that if you Modify Keys in Keyboards settings, then touchpad gestures will stop working. Any fixes or ideas?

As I understand, this is because gestures are emulated as button click. And gestures are linked to physical buttons, not button ID. So, if I move Command to Ctrl button, switch desktops gesture will stop working.

Forward this to @syscl :-) - he did the adaptions of the VoodooPS2 driver i used in the repository (https://github.com/syscl/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller)

This makes sense, because many commands never worked for me (tbh i never checked the reason why or did any debugging at all).

Many people switch the CMD and the ALT button to make it more mac like or the CTRL and the CMD to enable the windows feel. as far as i know the driver for the touchpad / keyboard can be easily modified to add custom commands. I'll take a look inside.

A big step for 4K display and no need 4k patch anymore.

1.Restore your vanilla CoreDisplay.

2.Place the Lilu.kext and CoreDisplayFixup.kext to Clover/Kext/Others or L/E or S/L/E.

attachicon.gifLilu.kext.zip

attachicon.gifCoreDisplayFixup.kext.zip

3.Run this command in terminal

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

Then you can reboot you macOS and will find it boot fine without 4k patch anymore.

PS:

This kext doesn't work in RecoveryHD.

The binary upped is prerelease software and is still under the development.

Credits:

Apple for macOS.

vit9696 for writing the Lilu.kext and the idea for patch framework.

PMHeart for writing the CoreDisplayFixup.kext to solve the 4k display limit on none iris pro card.

Could you please point to sources of  CoreDisplayFixup?

• Like 1

Hi @wmchris! I've just finished installing 10.12(updated to 10.12.4 too) and everything seems to be working except for brightness.

When I press the buttons the overlay appears and the indicator changes like it was working, but the effective brightness is always 100%.

With 10.11 it was not working at it's best, but was anyhow working...

Is it just me?

NB: I have a 4K

Hi @wmchris! I've just finished installing 10.12(updated to 10.12.4 too) and everything seems to be working except for brightness.

When I press the buttons the overlay appears and the indicator changes like it was working, but the effective brightness is always 100%.

With 10.11 it was not working at it's best, but was anyhow working...

Is it just me?

NB: I have a 4K

uninstall intelbacklight.kext, rebuild cache & permissions and reboot. Should works, at least mine works without this kext since I have updated to 10.12.4 beta 4 & release version.

• Like 1

uninstall intelbacklight.kext, rebuild cache & permissions and reboot. Should works, at least mine works without this kext since I have updated to 10.12.4 beta 4 & release version.

Worked, thank you.

But it is still very bright at zero brightness. On 10.12.3 it was way darker. 

And look's like after deleting IntelBacklight somehow standard sound disappeared. 

Worked, thank you.

But it is still very bright at zero brightness. On 10.12.3 it was way darker. 

And look's like after deleting IntelBacklight somehow standard sound disappeared. 

I never have problems with sound or too bright display (at zero brightness my display is completely dark as it is on real macs) after deleting this kext. Maybe it's something with your config.plist? I use the vanila applehda kexts with clover patches and everything works just fine.

I never have problems with sound or too bright display (at zero brightness my display is completely dark as it is on real macs) after deleting this kext. Maybe it's something with your config.plist? I use the vanila applehda kexts with clover patches and everything works just fine.

sadly same problem with 10.12.4. my "it's safe to update" was a lil bit too early. Deleting "IntelBacklight" fixes it, but it removes at least 10 of the lower brightness options. I'll take a look into it tomorrow.

• Like 2

sadly same problem with 10.12.4. my "it's safe to update" was a lil bit too early. Deleting "IntelBacklight" fixes it, but it removes at least 10 of the lower brightness options. I'll take a look into it tomorrow.

Yep, after some reboots and changing config.plist to your newest one I have restored sound. But still, it is too brights.

Anyway, cheers bro for quick response.

Anyone having issue with the external display not being recognised after upgrading to 10.12.4 ?

Unfortunately I did it wrong and apply the Lilu + CoreDisplay fix at the same time I've upgraded MacOS, instead of testing 10.12.4 first. So I don't really know what have broken my external display connection.

I didn't find the source for the CoreDisplay fix, so I don't know what I have to do to roll it back... just removing it from the clover/kext folder didn't work (it freezes).

Thanks!

[Edit]

The issue I have about the external display not being recognised is not related to Lilu + CoreDisplay kexts... or to the different ig-platform. Just removed these variables and it still doesn't detect external displays.

Tried: connect via HDMI / displayport through adapter (usb-c -> DP) / hdmi through adapter (usb-c -> HDMI)

It just doesn't detect my external display (tried a different display as well) - I'm using MBP 13,3 

OK: 10.12.4 breaks Rehabmans IntelBacklight.kext. This kext is responsible for the full range of display brightness. The kext just dont accept inputs from OSX anymore, it still can controll the brightness.

You can use http://bergdesign.com/brightness/#downloadto control it directly.

If you still want to use the hotkeys, you'll have to delete intelbacklight.kext, but you loose the lower 30% brightness control.

We're waiting for a fix right now. From what i know rehabman is pretty fast at patching bugs. I'll update my repo as soon as a patch arrives.

See: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Intel-Backlight/issues/4

Could you please point to sources of  CoreDisplayFixup?

Hi, well, CoreDisplayFixup is just a plug-in of Lilu, and right away it's a total mess, I may post the source code right later. Thanks for your understanding.

And anyway, the algo can be even fully the same as Shiki. So take a glance on that.  :)

BTW, this GitHub link may be used for further CoreDisplayFixup related discussions & etc. Alright, seriously. It's partly in Chinese, if you have any problem getting the main idea, then feel free to PM me, and I may help.

Regards,

PMheart

• Like 2

i replaces intelbacklight with AppleBacklightInjector and changed the SSDTs. Seems to work fine in 10.12.4 - but it's not optimized yet, still got nearly full brighness range again. Only the absolutely lowest brightness values are not available anymore. if rehabman publishes a newer version of his kext with a bigger brightness range i'll revert the changes.

Only bug left on 10.12.4 is the crashing Activity Monitor which can be temporarily fixed with http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/322196-macos-sierra-10124-is-out/?p=2393652. So i think i can tell you guys it's safe to update - this time for real ;-)

• Like 1

Anyone having issue with the external display not being recognised after upgrading to 10.12.4 ?

Just an update on why my external display wasn't being detected after installing 10.12.4.

It currently doesn't detect any external display (directly plugged to the HDMI port or through USB-C adapters), if I set my config to "MacBookPro13,3" (what I was using).

This seems to be the only drawback I have after updating to 10.12.4.

Just an update on why my external display wasn't being detected after installing 10.12.4.

It currently doesn't detect any external display (directly plugged to the HDMI port or through USB-C adapters), if I set my config to "MacBookPro13,3" (what I was using).

This seems to be the only drawback I have after updating to 10.12.4.

Try to chnage smbios to 13,2 or macbook 9,1. 13,3 has a tendency to doesn't work as it is expected, for example 13,3 never worked for me when I've installed 10.12.3 & 10.12.4 beta versions. 

• Like 2

Try to chnage smbios to 13,2 or macbook 9,1. 13,3 has a tendency to doesn't work as it is expected, for example 13,3 never worked for me when I've installed 10.12.3 & 10.12.4 beta versions. 

Thanks Deniryer,

I've changed it to 13,2 and it works fine and detects the external display.

It doesn't enable 10-bit colour by default, or HiDPI over 1920x1080. Something I'll have to figure it out.