[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

@Deniryer

On Win 10 with Toshiba XG3 power shell shows that XG3 is not capable of 4Kn format :-D

Well, then maybe its not. I can't check it myself because I don't own this ssd, also I wouldn't fully trust nvme-cli since it is a software still at beta stage and according to the creators it may contains bugs. 

Anyway it shame that manufacturers such as Samsung doesn't allow to format their ssd drives from 512/512+ to 4k. It is standard since 2011 year and all of the operating systems which came after supports both sector sizes. 

Windows sometimes shows strange values as well, in this case it reports that OCZ Vector 460 doesn't support trim, but it may be caused because it is connected to usb port through usb-sata adapter. 

it is capable, i'm running it on 4k.
Tbh: i trust nvme-cli more than the windows tools. ;-)

THNSN5512GPU7 NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB:

Capacity:	512,11 GB (512.110.190.592 Byte)
  TRIM-Support:	Yes
  Model:	THNSN5512GPU7 NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB
  Version:	57DA4103
$ diskutil info / | grep Block
   Device Block Size:        4096 Bytes
   Allocation Block Size:    4096 Bytes

however - did the windows tools with my already patched one and looks fine:

post-19619-0-55054600-1491310136_thumb.png

• Like 1

Yeah I do believe you, windows 10 right now its more like proofing ground than a stable operating system and Linux always had better diagnostic tools. I'll check another possibility when I'll arrive to home. You can install Linux command at Windows 10 since anniversary update, I'll see what kind of output I'll get from it.

So only option that left its faulty controller caused all of this mess with corrupted drive.

Dell bios it's definitely capable of running and detecting disk with both sectors sizes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah I do believe you, windows 10 right now its more like proofing ground than a stable operating system and Linux always had better diagnostic tools. I'll check another possibility when I'll arrive to home. You can install Linux command at Windows 10 since anniversary update, I'll see what kind of output I'll get from it.

So only option that left its faulty controller caused all of this mess with corrupted drive.

Dell bios it's definitely capable of running and detecting disk with both sectors sizes.

its much deeper. The user has problems with multiple machines from multiple manufacturers on multiple operating systems with many different ssds. Only thing they have in common: 4k sector size and located in china. :-/ - so it has nothing with Dell or the 9550 itself. I think its more likely of an EFI extension used in CN only. But i would be really happy if someone else could check this, too. So if anyone is from china and has a compatible 4k drive: please do us a favor and try the guide. ;)

• Like 1

Also, small note about nvme-cli under Ubuntu - it is a little bit outdated. It is floating around version 0.5-0.8, but current release of nvme-cli is v1.1 I suppose it's better to use latest one when dealing with such risky operations ;)

• Like 1

It may be regional issues. In past Chinese regions they had different versions of software including its own windows versions only distributed there (Samsung tends to ships their smartphones at two different variants, one with snapdragon for USA and with exynos for UK and some of the EU countries, same may apply to ssd, earlier mentioned Kingston and their unfair practice with changing nand dices and controllers) . Anyway it's always good to check out that the ssd support both sector sizes using different sources e.g. Powershell & Linux terminal. Better safe than sorry.

its much deeper. The user has problems with multiple machines from multiple manufacturers on multiple operating systems with many different ssds. Only thing they have in common: 4k sector size and located in china. :-/ - so it has nothing with Dell or the 9550 itself. I think its more likely of an EFI extension used in CN only. But i would be really happy if someone else could check this, too. So if anyone is from china and has a compatible 4k drive: please do us a favor and try the guide. ;)

No my XPS was sold on Australia not China so it doesnt related with CN.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

just a lil update for everyone, because many of the debugging / discussions regarding gujiangjiangs problem resulted in github:

he was able to restore its SSD by switching back to 512b. So no bricking. Still has not been able to switch to 4k. Still possible defective SSD controller. The discussion was offtopic in https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS/issues/26 and continues on https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS/issues/90

So for everyone else (before rumors come up, again, like with HWP and data corruption):

4K SWITCH WILL NOT BRICK YOUR SSD!

(but you will always loose all your data and its possible it doesnt work)

BTW: Seems like all Samsung drives are not 4k compatible, even the OEM, non EVO drives. But at least they dont explode like most other Samsung products... ;-)

• Like 2

I need help I have been having this issue with this particular wireless network. It keeps failing to connect to the internet. It is a coffee place that I always go. It only happens to that one. If I switch to Windows it connects right away. I can't figure out what is causing the dropping internet connections. I am on 10.12.4. It happened on 10.12.3 too

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I need help I have been having this issue with this particular wireless network. It keeps failing to connect to the internet. It is a coffee place that I always go. It only happens to that one. If I switch to Windows it connects right away. I can't figure out what is causing the dropping internet connections. I am on 10.12.4. It happened on 10.12.3 too

we need more details on this.

It may be caused by one of the WiFi patches, but we don't know anything about your xps e.g. WiFi card model nor anything about your clover config.plist plus it would be good to have more information about this WiFi network.

the wifi itself is sometimes unstable (especially after sleep), but only limited to certain SSID. Seems like a little bit tweaking would be reasonable.

My observation:

Sometimes after sleep the wifi will connect to the last used network, get its IP adress, but slow down extremly, up to 100% packet loss. This is only limited to one SSID and a reboot fixes this. Also a long power on time (1h+) sometimes fixes it, too. AP is a Airport Extreme over 5ghz, 802.11n, fixed channel. Reboot of the AP dont fix it. Never tried to debug it. Anyone experience something similar?

the wifi itself is sometimes unstable (especially after sleep), but only limited to certain SSID. Seems like a little bit tweaking would be reasonable.

My observation:

Sometimes after sleep the wifi will connect to the last used network, get its IP adress, but slow down extremly, up to 100% packet loss. This is only limited to one SSID and a reboot fixes this. Also a long power on time (1h+) sometimes fixes it, too. AP is a Airport Extreme over 5ghz, 802.11n, fixed channel. Reboot of the AP dont fix it. Never tried to debug it. Anyone experience something similar?

I own a XPS 15 9550 i7 6700HQ

1T Samsung NVMe PM951

Wireless Network Adapter: Broadcom BCM15700A2

I own a XPS 15 9550 i7 6700HQ

1T Samsung NVMe PM951

Wireless Network Adapter: Broadcom BCM15700A2

nah not your pc specs. AP details, frequency, configuration, logfiles etc.

Hi to everybody!

Coming back to my previous question about FAN revolution monitor, I found dependence in ACPI from temperature and fabricate small SSDT. 

May be somebody has some ideas to improve or change my method.  :)

tried your SSDT, without any change. how did you get so much information in your hwmontior in the first place? i only get one thermal zone, which is pretty sure defunc.

your name is SSDT3a - has this sth to do with the SSDT3 or is it just random? Because my SSDT3 was defunc from day one (empty) - see https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.11/10.11/DSDT-SSTL/SSDT-3.dsl

post-19619-0-04346600-1491686968_thumb.png

tried your SSDT, without any change. how did you get so much information in your hwmontior in the first place? i only get one thermal zone, which is pretty sure defunc.

your name is SSDT3a - has this sth to do with the SSDT3 or is it just random? Because my SSDT3 was defunc from day one (empty) - see https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.11/10.11/DSDT-SSTL/SSDT-3.dsl

Need drop PTID table 

<dict>

<key>Signature</key>

<string>SSDT</string>

<key>TableId</key>

<string>PtidDevc</string>

</dict>

SSDT3 table is different (empty table).

Also use FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext; FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext with HWmonitor 6.11 version (I don`t know why newest version are not working) B) .

HWSensors.6.11.1328.Binaries.dmg

• Like 2

My observation:

I faced exactly the same strange wifi behaviour (only after sleep) but with a "D-Link DWA-131 - Revision E" external USB-Wifi. I am still on 10.12.2 with "driver version" as of 31. December 2016 of your tutorial. No updates applied. 
Apparently i could "fix" the issue by giving my AP and wifi range expander a different network name.

I have an problem with my internal Monitor on 10.12.3 it has an flicker for around one second when the monitor goes black and come back and after sometime it happens again. I have the 4k model and the grahpics acceleration is also available. I used the old method to get the Monitor working and not via the kext. I don't upgrade to 10.12.4 because I have problems there with my USB Headset with the Sound and also when I use for example an Webradio then the mouse freezed for about one second and this behaviour repeats. When I turn the Webradio off then the mouse is working normal again. On 10.12.4 I had also the graphic acceleration available.

I faced exactly the same strange wifi behaviour (only after sleep) but with a "D-Link DWA-131 - Revision E" external USB-Wifi. I am still on 10.12.2 with "driver version" as of 31. December 2016 of your tutorial. No updates applied. 
Apparently i could "fix" the issue by giving my AP and wifi range expander a different network name.

did this "fix" it permanently or just for one time?

Hey - got another issue - sorry to pester :) 

Everything seems to work perfectly however when I leave the computer for longer than a minute, the screen turns off and I have to restart the machine to restore any functionality. Using a Toshiba SSD, any suggestions? :)

Thanks

Hey gang, I noticed folks have had issues with brightness in 10.12.4. I've been using a backlight injector (cribbed from RehabMan) since I started using this laptop, and it gives me full range of brightness and quarter increments.

I'll attach the SSDT-PNLF and AppleBacklightInjector.kext I've been using. There's a chance that the panel you're using is not the same as mine and that you'll require a different injector.

Also:

I noticed that a critical part of my USB-C hotplug solution was missing from the repository. The reason hot plugging fails when you just use SSDT-TB is that a hotplug event calls the _E42 interrupt method, and in our DSDT there's a bug in this method that causes it to recurse and break ACPI. I hot patch my DSDT to call an alternate method in an SSDT that is non-recursive. This will allow hot plugging to work.

The ACPI hot patch for Clover:

<key>Comment</key>
<string>Redirect _E42 call to solve recursion issue for USB-C hotplug, pair with SSDT-XE42 - dpassmor</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RFBURgFfRTQy
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RFBURgFYRTQy
</data>

I've attached SSDT-XE42 which must be used in conjunction with the hot patch.

AppleBacklightInjector.kext.zip

SSDT-PNLF.zip

SSDT-XE42.zip

• Like 2