[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

@dpassmor I'll give it a go as soon as I'll do a clean installation of MacOS because for some strange reason my ssd started to perform copy/paste operations at 2mbps when I copy and paste from external sources as well when I copy and paste from sata ssd to nvme. That's weird because my ssd do that when it is plugged in my laptop and immediately starts working normally when it is plugged into gigabyte motherboard. Eh.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey gang, I noticed folks have had issues with brightness in 10.12.4. I've been using a backlight injector (cribbed from RehabMan) since I started using this laptop, and it gives me full range of brightness and quarter increments.

I'll attach the SSDT-PNLF and AppleBacklightInjector.kext I've been using. There's a chance that the panel you're using is not the same as mine and that you'll require a different injector.

Also:

I noticed that a critical part of my USB-C hotplug solution was missing from the repository. The reason hot plugging fails when you just use SSDT-TB is that a hotplug event calls the _E42 interrupt method, and in our DSDT there's a bug in this method that causes it to recurse and break ACPI. I hot patch my DSDT to call an alternate method in an SSDT that is non-recursive. This will allow hot plugging to work.

The ACPI hot patch for Clover:

<key>Comment</key>
<string>Redirect _E42 call to solve recursion issue for USB-C hotplug, pair with SSDT-XE42 - dpassmor</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RFBURgFfRTQy
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RFBURgFYRTQy
</data>

I've attached SSDT-XE42 which must be used in conjunction with the hot patch.

thank you for the XE42 fix. Sadly i dont have a device to check it, but i added it to the repository.

Regarding your patched backlight injector: it's already included in the repository a while ago and it also has a part inside the tutorial in Step7. :-) Sadly this is not as good as rehabmans intelbacklight, because it does not allow quarter stepping below the minimum brightness settings. :(

Hey gang, I noticed folks have had issues with brightness in 10.12.4. I've been using a backlight injector (cribbed from RehabMan) since I started using this laptop, and it gives me full range of brightness and quarter increments.

I'll attach the SSDT-PNLF and AppleBacklightInjector.kext I've been using. There's a chance that the panel you're using is not the same as mine and that you'll require a different injector.

Also:

I noticed that a critical part of my USB-C hotplug solution was missing from the repository. The reason hot plugging fails when you just use SSDT-TB is that a hotplug event calls the _E42 interrupt method, and in our DSDT there's a bug in this method that causes it to recurse and break ACPI. I hot patch my DSDT to call an alternate method in an SSDT that is non-recursive. This will allow hot plugging to work.

The ACPI hot patch for Clover:

<key>Comment</key>
<string>Redirect _E42 call to solve recursion issue for USB-C hotplug, pair with SSDT-XE42 - dpassmor</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RFBURgFfRTQy
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RFBURgFYRTQy
</data>

I've attached SSDT-XE42 which must be used in conjunction with the hot patch.

Hi dpassmor,

Checked your ssdt - and as i can see it is still using recursive call of itself (even iasl is throwing warning about that). do i miss something?

@wmchris is the DummyHDA in your github based on the resources that InsanelyDeepak patched for this laptop ? An user had reported that Internal Mic is not working for his machine here, so I have created another patch using AppleALC.kext that have been reported as working by the same person here, so unless yours has been modified I think you should clean the repo a bit. One less non-conventional kext, cleaner config.plist too :)

The resources has been uploaded onto AppleALC's main branch now

• Like 1

@wmchris is the DummyHDA in your github based on the resources that InsanelyDeepak patched for this laptop ? An user had reported that Internal Mic is not working for his machine here, so I have created another patch using AppleALC.kext that have been reported as working by the same person here, so unless yours has been modified I think you should clean the repo a bit. One less non-conventional kext, cleaner config.plist too :)

The resources has been uploaded onto AppleALC's main branch now

I have use vanilla AppleALC with layoutid=13 and between with CommodeCode and AlcPlugfix and it works well.

Does your applealc don't need CC or alcplugfix and have no distort and the bith internal and external mic works well?

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I have use vanilla AppleALC with layoutid=13 and between with CommodeCode and AlcPlugfix and it works well.

Does your applealc don't need CC or alcplugfix and have no distort and the bith internal and external mic works well?

CommodeCode you mean CodecCommander ? ALCPlugFix is unheard of as I have no idea what it does. I removed external mic support as it is known to be causing noise with headphones if I try putting them together, Internal Mic is reported to work well, maybe use layout 28 and see for yourself

CommodeCode you mean CodecCommander ? ALCPlugFix is unheard of as I have no idea what it does. I removed external mic support as it is known to be causing noise with headphones if I try putting them together, Internal Mic is reported to work well, maybe use layout 28 and see for yourself

ALCPlugFix was made by me as assistant daemon for CodecCommander to fix noise. And it is working perfectly since first release :) You can find sources here: https://github.com/goodwin/ALCPlugFix

Main purpose was that CC itself has limited abilities to respond on events as on kernel level there are no triggers on plugged/unplugged headphones. So i wrote user-space launchd daemon that sends needed verbs to HDA on plug/unplug

ALCPlugFix was made by me as assistant daemon for CodecCommander to fix noise. And it is working perfectly since first release :) You can find sources here: https://github.com/goodwin/ALCPlugFix

Main purpose was that CC itself has limited abilities to respond on events as on kernel level there are no triggers on plugged/unplugged headphones. So i wrote user-space launchd daemon that sends needed verbs to HDA on plug/unplug

So ALCPlugFix is the solution to the plugged but no output from headphone/unplugged but no output from speaker problem ?

So ALCPlugFix is the solution to the plugged but no output from headphone/unplugged but no output from speaker problem ?

yes.

regarding your question: the supplied HDA solution is just the most failsafe one. I offer two different types in the tutorial (VoodooHDA and prepatched AppleHDA) which should be used instead. the latest includes goodwins and syscls fixes and is the best one.

Hi dpassmor,

Checked your ssdt - and as i can see it is still using recursive call of itself (even iasl is throwing warning about that). do i miss something?

Okay, here's the ACPI error you get when you do a USB-C hot-plug without patching _E42:

ACPI Error: ACPI Error: [SPRT][SPRT] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20140828/dswload2-19d)
ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalogDuring name lookup/catalog (20140828/psobject-131)
ACPI Error: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed Method parse/execution failed [\134_GPE._E42] (Node ffffff80507d8010)[\134_GPE._E42] (Node ffffff80507d8010), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20140828/psparse-270)
ACPI Error: ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed Method parse/execution failed [\134_GPE._E42] (Node ffffff80507d8010)[\134_GPE._E42] (Node ffffff80507d8010), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20140828/psparse-270)
ACPI: ACPI: Marking method _E42 as Serialized because of AE_ALREADY_EXISTS errorMarking method _E42 as Serialized because of AE_ALREADY_EXISTS error
ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, while evaluating GPE method [_E42]while evaluating GPE method [_E42] (20140828/evgpe-2f5)

What I discovered in my testing was that _E42 only recurses once upon a hot-plug event, but that was too much for Apple's ACPICA implementation (and Linux, although they have since fixed their implementation). After this namespace error macOS no longer calls _E42 at all, preventing any device being inserted from being recognized.

So the simple solution to an ACPI namespace issue with a method that recurses once was to duplicate the method with a different name and patch the recursive call in the original method to call the duplicate. Honestly, you can probably remove the recursive call in XE42 since it will never be reached, although I haven't tried it. I'd love to see a more elegant solution, but I don't have a lot of free time to look into it.

• Like 1

hy guy i recently bought an xps 9550 i got all working whit the exception of wifi 
my setup is:
i7 6700HQ
FHD
32gb ram 
dw1830
Sierra 10.12.4
macbookpro13,3 Smbios
the bt part of the card is working whit out problem any idea on how i can fix it?
thanks in advance and sorry for my english guys :)

hy guy i recently bought an xps 9550 i got all working whit the exception of wifi

my setup is:

i7 6700HQ

FHD

32gb ram

dw1830

Sierra 10.12.4

macbookpro13,3 Smbios

the bt part of the card is working whit out problem any idea on how i can fix it?

thanks in advance and sorry for my english guys :)

If your wif is DW1830 it can be working without any kexts.

If your wifi is Intel AC Dual Band Wifi Or AR Killer Wifi it is no way to use it.

Hi, thanks for the super great guide. This morning, my Intel HD 530 memory changed form 1536 to 7. Any way to fix this? If not, oh well; i'll just reinstall os x. I'm looking for a way to fix this without reinstalling os x though. Thanks for the guide and taking the time to read my question. 

-Nick

Hello there. firstly I really want to appreciate for your hard working and results.

But currently I have a problem to use eGPU solutions.

I have used Razer Core, ASUS ROG XG Station 2 and Akitio Node for eGPU testing with a GTX 1070 FE and a GIGABYTE RX 460. on Windows 10, all of them worked perfectly but on macOS Sierra 10.12.4, sadly it does not worked.

My XPS 15 9550 is UHD, i7, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, and I followed your latest guide but changed SMBIOS from iMac 17,1 to MacBookPro13,3 to use some energy saving features with no problem. seems SMBIOS does not affect to the problem.

un22VkQ.png

as you see, 'no hardware found' when I connected nothing.

(writing...)

Hello there. firstly I really want to appreciate for your hard working and results.

But currently I have a problem to use eGPU solutions.

I have used Razer Core, ASUS ROG XG Station 2 and Akitio Node for eGPU testing with a GTX 1070 FE and a GIGABYTE RX 460. on Windows 10, all of them worked perfectly but on macOS Sierra 10.12.4, sadly it does not worked.

My XPS 15 9550 is UHD, i7, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, and I followed your latest guide but changed SMBIOS from iMac 17,1 to MacBookPro13,3 to use some energy saving features with no problem. seems SMBIOS does not affect to the problem.

as you see, 'no hardware found' when I connected nothing.

(writing...)

no need to continue. eGPU is not supported, because thunderbolt does not work.

Any sleep issues on the latest version of MacOS can be fixed by updating to the latest Dell BIOS (.21) 

Does this solve the glitches or black screen when the laptop is woken up from sleep? i mean normal screen off sleep not hibernate. everytime screen goes off if left alone a while, it needs a reboot.

im on 9550 i7 4k screen

Thank I actually went there 5 minutes ago and I did that. I switch to VodooHDA. Another question is your backlight working on latest 10.14. Mine does not

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

github repo already have solution for that, for example - https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/Additional/PatchAppleBacklight_v2.

PS. For everyone who is experiencing problems with decreased ssd speed I recommend to create/update hacker nvme kext to the latest mac os versions (10.12.04) it sorted out mine problems with that.

github repo already have solution for that, for example - https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/Additional/PatchAppleBacklight_v2.

PS. For everyone who is experiencing problems with decreased ssd speed I recommend to create/update hacker nvme kext to the latest mac os versions (10.12.04) it sorted out mine problems with that.

I did that. I created the patched AppleBacklightInjector.kext, but did not work after a reboot. I will try it again. We have to install them (AppleIntelBacklight and AppleBacklightInjector.kext ti S/L/E correct.

If you have intelbacklight.kext you have to uninstall it and replace with patched/preceated at github repo AppleBacklightInjector.kext

It does not work. I have deleted Intel backlight.kext. but now the slider in display has disappeared. I am running the script from the PatchAppleBacklight_v2. Then I install the patched AppleBacklightInjector from the patched folder then I also copied the SSTD-Config.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched.Am I missing a step