[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

A word of caution!

If you do the native CPU power management (not through HWPEnable), if you have an NVMe drive you will have to re-do 

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

As in my case it was reset to hibernatemode 3 after doing this which we all know the risks of.

A word of caution!

If you do the native CPU power management (not through HWPEnable), if you have an NVMe drive you will have to re-do 

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

As in my case it was reset to hibernatemode 3 after doing this which we all know the risks of.

sadly this happens to me everytime i boot into windows. So keep an eye on it.

quick question: 

the thing is: either you have a serial for yourself, or you have a serial, which is used before. The last can even happen if you create one with a generator (thats why you should always check if the generated serial is already in use).

If you have a brand new serial it's obviously unknown to apple. Sometimes it still works, most of the time it doesnt.

If you have a real serial and you dont own the original apple device this could result in VERY bad outcomes - mostly of data security.

I salvage my serial numbers personally. I dont mind using an old SMBIOS, but it reduces compatibility a lil bit.

Thanks. can I ask regarding the ethernet. its en0 but assigning itself an ip (169. etc). I turned it off as I'm not sure whether this is annoying the iMessage thing. does it matter that its on en0 and wifi on en1 and I'm trying to connect to iMessage via wifi only?

iTunes Store and App Store work fine on the above config. I've reset ids and serials etc and got a new rom via simplemlb. it appears the rom doesn't change even if I use the ethernet Mac or the empty box. I am going to try using the macaddress1 which is wifi and see how that goes.

quick question: 

Thanks. can I ask regarding the ethernet. its en0 but assigning itself an ip (169. etc). I turned it off as I'm not sure whether this is annoying the iMessage thing. does it matter that its on en0 and wifi on en1 and I'm trying to connect to iMessage via wifi only?

iTunes Store and App Store work fine on the above config. I've reset ids and serials etc and got a new rom via simplemlb. it appears the rom doesn't change even if I use the ethernet Mac or the empty box. I am going to try using the macaddress1 which is wifi and see how that goes.

you need the en0 for calculating the ids. If you used my file it only requires the mac adress from this interface for imessage (which is defaulted to 11:22:33:44:55:66). So this is absolutely normal. Imessage and Facetime just have a much higher security level than app-store, because of obvious anti-spam reasons.

you need the en0 for calculating the ids. If you used my file it only requires the mac adress from this interface for imessage (which is defaulted to 11:22:33:44:55:66). So this is absolutely normal. Imessage and Facetime just have a much higher security level than app-store, because of obvious anti-spam reasons.

Chris, many thanks for all your input. 

got it working by using my main Apple ID account. I'm not sure why my others were not working, maybe they never were used to buy anything even though I had put in my cc details.

anyway, its logged into FaceTime and iMessage fine. I believe simplemlb.sh gave me a good board serial as opposed to just adding 5 hex digits and hoping for the best. probably burnt my other ids with this issue.

Now to focus on seeing about the battery life (% drop quite quickly) and remapping some keys, then this is golden. I sometimes get some weird line artifacts on the screen, but a reboot resolves this. (I've done name and 4k patches as you had written).

I wonder if it's possible to have a small bash script run before graphics drivers load.

I've put the sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 into a script that loads on boot, but if we could have a script running before graphics loads we would have solved 4K patching on upgrade as well.

This is very interesting!

Are you multibooting with clover when you enter into your Windows environment?

How can one check to current state of their hibernatemode?

Anyone with FHD version is having issue with the display flickering?

It's like the backlight has a low PWM frequency, if you watch the screen through a camera you can see black bands going up and down, but when it is at 100% they disappears.

EDIT: If i close the lid for several minutes and then open it the flickering disappears

yes.

pmset -g

I switched over to Windows from OSX via Clover bootloader then came back to OSX and my settings stayed the same.

Currently in use:
 womp                 1
 autorestart          0
 halfdim              1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 gpuswitch            2
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            10
 sleep                10 (sleep prevented by mds)
 hibernatemode        0
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         10
 lidwake              1 

Not sure why you some ppl are loosing their settings (or why I am retaining mine)...

im querying something:

whenever the laptop wakes up from sleep or sometimes after a boot, there are a lot of artifact lines, as if there is interference on the screen. also, the screen can go blank a few times. a reboot helps.

however, its not all limited to waking up from closing the lid, it can happen after a boot sometime. hibernatemode is 0 although for some reason it went back to 3 recently. also, ive done the 4k commands, so im not sure what else to do

im querying something:

whenever the laptop wakes up from sleep or sometimes after a boot, there are a lot of artifact lines, as if there is interference on the screen. also, the screen can go blank a few times. a reboot helps.

however, its not all limited to waking up from closing the lid, it can happen after a boot sometime. hibernatemode is 0 although for some reason it went back to 3 recently. also, ive done the 4k commands, so im not sure what else to do

If you have a NVMe drive make sure you follow the "If you've a NVM SSD Drive" on the install guide.  You'll have to make sure you place a kext or two in specific folders.  Hope this helps.

If you have a NVMe drive make sure you follow the "If you've a NVM SSD Drive" on the install guide. You'll have to make sure you place a kext or two in specific folders. Hope this helps.

I don't know what are you referring to, but there isnt anything on the guide that states your above quote. The only part n the guide talking about nvme is for the hacknvme. Nothing related to hibernation mode

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hello,

I have used your tutorial and when I replace the Clover Bootloader on the EFI Partition on my HDD then it won't find the HDD where OS X is installed. It only finds the Windows Installation my M2 SSD. When I boot from the USB Stick then I see the OS X HDD and I can boot from it.

Did I something wrong why Clover won't find the HDD when I want to boot from it?

Hello,

I have used your tutorial and when I replace the Clover Bootloader on the EFI Partition on my HDD then it won't find the HDD where OS X is installed. It only finds the Windows Installation my M2 SSD. When I boot from the USB Stick then I see the OS X HDD and I can boot from it.

Did I something wrong why Clover won't find the HDD when I want to boot from it?

do you have a hdd and a m2 ssd in your dell?

If you mean the boot priority from the Laptop itself there should be no problem because I selected the HDD via the Boot Menu when I press F12. I will try it this week again from an fresh install maybe it will solve the problem. Then I will write again. Thank you so far.

Hey,

I did this guide ages ago, and have not followed too closely since.  System is still running flawlessly, aside from the display flickering after sleep issue, which I hope will be fixed soon.

My only issue, which is minor and doesn't come up much, is the thunderbolt port.  Has anyone managed to use data transfer over it?  If I plug in my phone (USB C to USB C), I get no partition mounting (but I do get a new icon in my status bar that says 'USB Controller' with one option. 'Power off card').  I also tried using a USB-C to Female USB A adapter, which I've tested and used previously.  It does the same thing.

Is there any way to actually use the thunderbolt port for this?  I successfully use it with a Thunderbolt-HDMI adapter (which has issues too.  It has to be plugged in before the HDMI cable if you want to use both, and takes a few times unplugging->replugging if it's not plugged in at boot.)

The only other issue I have noticed is the sound.  Sometimes when I boot the system, the sound icon will be greyed out and not work.  I have found a 'fairly safe' solution to this.  If I boot with just the power cable (and no headphones or HDMI plugged in) it works pretty well.  I can also boot with USB C->HDMI adapter with the power adapter and the sound will work.  If I have headphones and/or HDMI in, it pretty much always fails.

If you mean the boot priority from the Laptop itself there should be no problem because I selected the HDD via the Boot Menu when I press F12. I will try it this week again from an fresh install maybe it will solve the problem. Then I will write again. Thank you so far.

as i said, add the clover file to efi boot priority. just adding the drive does not work in this setup.

Hey,

I did this guide ages ago, and have not followed too closely since.  System is still running flawlessly, aside from the display flickering after sleep issue, which I hope will be fixed soon.

My only issue, which is minor and doesn't come up much, is the thunderbolt port.  Has anyone managed to use data transfer over it?  If I plug in my phone (USB C to USB C), I get no partition mounting (but I do get a new icon in my status bar that says 'USB Controller' with one option. 'Power off card').  I also tried using a USB-C to Female USB A adapter, which I've tested and used previously.  It does the same thing.

Is there any way to actually use the thunderbolt port for this?  I successfully use it with a Thunderbolt-HDMI adapter (which has issues too.  It has to be plugged in before the HDMI cable if you want to use both, and takes a few times unplugging->replugging if it's not plugged in at boot.)

The only other issue I have noticed is the sound.  Sometimes when I boot the system, the sound icon will be greyed out and not work.  I have found a 'fairly safe' solution to this.  If I boot with just the power cable (and no headphones or HDMI plugged in) it works pretty well.  I can also boot with USB C->HDMI adapter with the power adapter and the sound will work.  If I have headphones and/or HDMI in, it pretty much always fails.

sound is fixed, USB-C works, but not reliable.

Hey guys,

slightly off-topic, but I was wondering if it was possible to undervolt the CPU in MacOS since this cannot be achieved in the UEFI itself. I know this is doable in Windows with the Intel XTU Utility, but can I also do this in MacOS with a SSDT or something? The undervolt of the CPU I'm looking for is -0,150v, which proved to be stable during my testing period in windows.

Hi All,

This is my first time posting on InsanelyMac and more importantly, I really wanted to thank @wmchris for writing this tutorial. I own a 9550 and finish installing Sierra 10.12.3 just this weekend. The OS install is working smoothly and so far no major issues. I just had a few questions and doubts, which I was hoping to get cleared here.

(...)

Questions/Doubts:

• Could someone verify if this installation method is correct? Considering I didn't use terminal at all. If not then please help me out fixing things I might have not done the right way.
  • My battery runtime had halfed on this installed in comparison to Windows. In windows, for web browsing, I get 8-10 hours of battery, where as on this install, I get only 3-4 hours. I am assuming it has something to do with SMBIOS as currently it is being recognised as iMac. I tried changing the SMBIOS to MacBook Pro 13,3. The laptop didn't boot and I had to reinstall. The SMBIOS change was done using Clover Configurator 4.40.0
  • I am currently using a Intel based WiFi/BT card, which i will be replacing with Dell 1830 as in my original config, would I be right in assuming that 1830 should work natively and give me access to WiFi and Bluetooth. At the moment, I am using my android to tether internet via USB for internet access.
  • The touchpad works but the clicks are a bit glitchy especially, when I am using 2 fingers. In Windows and on my work mac, I use one finger to move the cursor and use the other finger to click simultaneously. On this installation, if I click whilst moving the cursor with the other, the click is recognised but not where the cursor is.
  • Have I missed any drivers or optimisations to make this mac installation better?

Hope to get some feedback soon and thanks for your patience.

--

Me : )

this works, too, but requires a lot more time. everything is fine. at the moment you dont need terminal knowledge unless you have the touch display. But i recommend learning it as fast as possible if you dont want to reinstall everything everytime something didnt run smoothly.

battery time is correct - i didnt find a fix why it's only 3-4h on my machine either. CPU is at 2,8W at lowest while it's on 0,5 on windows.