[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

@polyzargone

I have now System Update to Beta 10.10.4 (14E26a) made.

1. Medion P9614 without on-the-fly method: AppleHDA I had to replace again
2. Dell Optiplex 780 MT with on-the-fly method: No problems with AppleHDA and Graphics, OOB works  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

Here is list my hardware as promised.

Dell Optiplex 780 MT:
Yosemite 10.10.4 Public Beta with Clover
Intel Q9400 4 x 2.66GHz Core2Quad (CPU 1, Core 4, Cache 6MB)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Graphics: XFX HD5450 1GB DDR3 one HDMI / DVI / VGA passive
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB EVO
HDD: 1TB for data 2.5 "
HDD: 80GB Win7Pro for testing purposes 3.5 "
Audio: AppleHDA on-the-fly method
BLU-RAY: BE12LU38 external Blu-ray burner via eSata (DVD.Framework fix for the Blu-ray burner)
LAN: Broadcom (BCM57780)
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 Dual Band Adapter (PCIe, 450 Mbit / s)
BT: Bluetooth USB 4.0 Dongle Dual Mode (Broadcom BCM20702)
Logitech MK270 USB mouse / keyboard
Logitech Webcam C270 (Cam + mic)
HW sensors installed
Steps: x6, x7, x8
Start time is 20 to 30 sec. - Cold / Hot -> variable

Bios A15
Set Autodetect AHCI
Floppy drive, seriale connections I've also disabled in the BIOS (Optional)
Onboard graphics unused and untested (Optional)
without NullCPUPower ..... Kext

With this configuration, my Dell 99% runs perfectly real.

• Like 2

@polyzargone

2. Dell Optiplex 780 MT with on-the-fly method: No problems with AppleHDA and Graphics, OOB works  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

That's very good news indeed ! :D

What's the 1% that make your setup not totally OK ?

@polyzargone

Here is list my hardware as promised.

Only for comparisons, for all:

Dell Optiplex 780 MT:
Yosemite 10.10.4 Public Beta with Clover
Intel Q9400 4 x 2.66GHz Core2Quad (CPU 1, Core 4, Cache 6MB)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Graphics: XFX HD5450 1GB DDR3 one HDMI / DVI / VGA passive
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB EVO
HDD: 1TB for data 2.5 "
HDD: 80GB Win7Pro for testing purposes 3.5 "
Audio: AppleHDA on-the-fly method
BLU-RAY: BE12LU38 external Blu-ray burner via eSata (DVD.Framework fix for the Blu-ray burner)
LAN: Broadcom (BCM57780)
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 Dual Band Adapter (PCIe, 450 Mbit / s)
BT: Bluetooth USB 4.0 Dongle Dual Mode (Broadcom BCM20702)
Logitech MK270 USB mouse / keyboard
Logitech Webcam C270 (Cam + mic)
HW sensors installed
Steps: x6, x7, x8
Start time is 20 to 30 sec. - Cold / Hot -> variable

Bios A15
Set Autodetect AHCI
Floppy drive, seriale connections I've also disabled in the BIOS (Optional)
Onboard graphics unused and untested (Optional)
without NullCPUPower ..... Kext

Is that really the best you can do?  :poke:

:)

Hi,i have a working optiplex 755 with yosemite,i have installed near one years ago with this guide a jake lo's dsdt

I usually this topic,now i see thet are 2 method for the audio on hdmi, but i haven't find this 2 methods.

Is it a difficult work?

Thanks

@teeodor

The discussion starts at this post. You should read from there and follow the instructions. There's no "step by step" guide but you should be able to succeed if you read carefully each post ;).

PS : I strongly suggest that you download the correct DSDT and config.plist (if you're using Clover, otherwise only method 1 will work) cause the Jake Lo's DSDT is incorrectly configured when it comes to HDEF device.

Note that DSDT from those posts are meant to work only with AMD Radeon HD 5450 models. If your GFX is different, you'll have to make some edits.

• Like 2

Hi,i have a working optiplex 755 with yosemite,i have installed near one years ago with this guide a jake lo's dsdt

I usually this topic,now i see thet are 2 method for the audio on hdmi, but i haven't find this 2 methods.

Is it a difficult work?

Thanks

Installed Yosemite using this guide near one year ago? Guide was only posted last November. ;)

Read carefully the previous posts : Jake Lo's DSDT is incorrect, don't use it if you want to enable AppleHDA and HDMI audio support !

Then, depending of what method you choose, there will no edits to make after OS X updates.

Maybe my brain is fused,my first post it's at 27 november

I have 5450,that dsdt it's like Jake lo's or i have to put kext when I update system?

The thread can be hard to follow.

This is for the non-injection method, which would require the AppleHDA Vers 3 kext to be reinstalled after an update:

Delete unneeded kexts that Polyzargone listed in Post #230

Make sure they are not is S/L/E or EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10.

- No AppleHDADisabler.kext

- No VoodooHDA.kext

- No HDAEnabler.kext

Use Kext Editor to install, HDEnabler1.kext from post #277.  HDAEnabler1.kext.zip

Use PolyZargone’s Clover Config.plist from Post # 223. config.plist.zip Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover

Use the DSDT Polyzargone attached to post # 230. DSDT.zip  Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Use kext editor to install MacPeets AppleHDA Kext Version 3. Download

Reboot :)

Can anyone assist with getting the HDMI audio working.  I used the ddst method for the video and it works great.  The audio output in system preferences shows hdmi audio out but when selected it does not work.  The other option of using the speaker front/rear output works fine.

Do i need a newer version of Voodoo?

Thanks.

Can anyone assist with getting the HDMI audio working.  I used the ddst method for the video and it works great.  The audio output in system preferences shows hdmi audio out but when selected it does not work.  The other option of using the speaker front/rear output works fine.

Do i need a newer version of Voodoo?

Thanks.

Read the Post directly above yours!  :rolleyes:  

Hello, and much respect to the community for assistance. I've followed the steps for this model: Optiplex 780, it's nearly the same as the one I have; mine is the MT. This guide was helpful enough but a bit *confusing. I'm also having issues with the video display. There's isn't a icon on the task bar (top of screen) for the monitors for me to change the setting even when it's selected in the System Preferences. I can't turn on the video screen sharing to the AppleTV. I like to use the AppleTV as a 3rd monitor but that's not an option. Something I enjoyed on a real Mac.  But everything else works except something went wrong with the start up. I have to change the system name each time I try to boot from Clover, if I try to boot without making the change I get a kernel panic right at startup.

*I think I've over copied the EFI folder and the config.plist far too many times in my attempts to fix the boot up issue. The same was done for the Extensions in the EFI folder. Ironically, it's working!!  :hysterical: I'm now having graphical issues when I pull up any folder that has a image in the background. And if I try to use Preview to view an image, it gets pixilated and distorted after about a few seconds. I would include a screen capture but I have no idea how to do this for this forum. Would you have any idea what could be the issue? Right now I'm trying to check the dates on the kexts that are in the EFI Extensions folder to see if they are current. I have removed most of the extra copies I had. I'm more than happy to video what it is I see and do during my start up.  I would love to have a video guide for the model machine I have.  I'm sure I won't mind paying for that! Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you  :)

Video issue FIXED! Still no Video controls on the taskbar. Also I don't have any audio control for the external speakers. I have to manually control the volume from the device since the volume on the computer does nothing, except for mute!  :(

The thread can be hard to follow.

This is for the non-injection method, which would require the AppleHDA Vers 3 kext to be reinstalled after an update:

Delete unneeded kexts that Polyzargone listed in Post #225

Make sure they are not is S/L/E or EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10.

- No VoodooHDA.kext

- No HDAEnabler.kext

Use Kext Editor to install, HDEnabler1.kext from post #277.  HDAEnabler1.kext.zip

Use PolyZargone’s Clover Config.plist from Post # 223. config.plist.zip Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover

Use the DSDT Polyzargone attached to post # 223. DSDT.aml.zip  Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Use kext editor to install MacPeets AppleHDA Kext Version 3. Download

Reboot :)

Very good!

This post must be sticky at begin!

Tomorrow i try it,thanks!

Very good!

This post must be sticky at begin!

Tomorrow i try it,thanks!

pepto has not been able to be reached for a while, so we may start to edit the guide to clear some of the confusion.

It has been a work in progress. :)

In Post #2, I have attached a link to a working Clover Folder, complete with proper Clover config.plist, and DSDT for AppleHDA Sound. :)

Thanks guy,i have tried with the 4 step config and with the zip in the second post,but now it doesn't recognize sound peripheral

EDIT: @teeodor, have you updated to 10.10.3?

------------------------------------------------

I have no clue what a  4 step Config is. 

I posted a tested and working Entire Clover Folder. Suggestion is not to pick pieces out of it to use, but to delete your existing Clover Folder, and use the Entire Clover folder

provided in Post #2 zip file.  Also install AppleHDA.Kext provided in Zip, and HDA Enabler. Delete needed kexts from S/L/E, all listed in ReadMe in Zip File.

All instructions provided in zip file in second post. Clover Folder tested and working. 

If you want to just pick pieces out of it, then you may not get the desired results. :(

This is the 4 step 

Use Kext Editor to install, HDEnabler1.kext from post #277.  HDAEnabler1.kext.zip

Use PolyZargone’s Clover Config.plist from Post # 223. config.plist.zip Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover

Use the DSDT Polyzargone attached to post # 223. DSDT.aml.zip  Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Use kext editor to install MacPeets AppleHDA Kext Version 3. Download

Also with the clover folder don't work.

I tried 2 times

• Like 1

Are you really sure that in S/L/E and/or EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10 :

- No VoodooHDA.kext

Also, try DSDT from post #230 which fixes GFX0, HDAU & HDEF parts.

I'm not sure that HDAEnabler1.kext is required. The DSDT already contains all the needed info for HDEF Layout ID which is basically exactly what HDAEnabler1.kext is meant for. Try without it and most importantly : repair permissions and rebuild kernel cache with Kext Wizard (kext editor ? I don't know this software) at every try !

This is the 4 step 

Use Kext Editor to install, HDEnabler1.kext from post #277.  HDAEnabler1.kext.zip

Use PolyZargone’s Clover Config.plist from Post # 223. config.plist.zip Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover

Use the DSDT Polyzargone attached to post # 223. DSDT.aml.zip  Put it in EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

I tried 2 times

Okay, so we are using the DSDT from post 230. I cannot keep track, so many different things we have done.  :wacko:

That is a big reason why the entire guide needs edited. :)

This is the 4 step 

I tried 2 times

Okay, so that is the "4 Step Method". :)

It might be a good idea to mention the Post Number so we can all keep track. ;)

• Like 1

You mean DSDT from post #1 ?

If so, don't use it ! It's outdated in many ways. There's barely nothing in it and everything you don't want to update will actually need to be modified/patched/updated !

Use DSDT from post #230, it's the most recent and complete so far. It will enable :

• AMD Radeon HD 5450 series without any modification. (if your GFX is different, edits may be necessary).

• AppleHDA + HDMI support with 2 different methods : OS X updates resistant Clover Injection or AppleHDA.kext patching with minor changes at every OS X updates. Choose one, not both.

• Wake/Sleep and native power management with SpeedStep support. Don't use NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext otherwise, it won't work.

Also, make sure to use this config.plist. It should work "as it is", you'll just have to add your own settings like SMBios data for iMessage to work etc.

Finally, read the last posts to make sure that unappropriated kexts aren't installed.

• Like 1

Could be. Should it be like this ?

Device (SBUS)
       {
            Name (_ADR, 0x001F0003)
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x04)
                {
                    "name", 
                    "pci8086,3a30",                 // i.e. device 0x3a30
                    "device-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x30, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00     // according to previous device-ID ?
                    }
                }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }
        }
  • Like 1