[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

Yes, don't use both at the same time, they will create a conflict. To install, just remove AppleIntelE1000e.kext from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and put Intel82566MM.kext in the same place then rebuild kernel cache using Kext Wizard and reboot.

Also, check that Ethernet is still under en0.

Yes, don't use both at the same time, they will create a conflict. To install, just remove AppleIntelE1000e.kext from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and put Intel82566MM.kext in the same place then rebuild kernel cache using Kext Wizard and reboot.

Also, check that Ethernet is still under en0.

Great, great, great!

The Intel82566MM driver seems to work fine... iTunes update is coming in! Thanks!

Perhaps you have another quick tip for me: I have to "hit return" in the bootloader at each boot/reboot. How can I set a kind of "default autostart"?

Used Chameleon to properly be able to boot into 10.10.1, then ran the update to 10.10.4, then attemptd to follow the rest of the guide from the step of installing clover to the internal boot disk.

afterwards, I'm getting a TON of Sandbox complaints in my verbose output when attempting to boot, and it will fail to boot, whether it be from a debug compiler fail, or other random issues.

I can take video and upload it if that would help. I'm going to assume it's something to do with using the precompiled DSDT that has been made.

For now, I will attempt to continue to just use Chameleon, and patch my graphics seperately. I am using the 0x68f9 512MB Radeon HD 5450 (dell passive) model GPU, btw.

Well I don't think it's DSDT related otherwise you'd never be able to boot and install OS X 10.10.3 with Chameleon. My guess is you probably have issues during the transition from Chameleon to Clover.

Does Clover boot fine ? I mean, can you reach the Clover boot menu without problems ? You may have to totally remove Chameleon from your drive (see here for that).

Also, check that you don't have doublons of FakeSMC and/or other kext that may exist in both EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and /S/L/E.

If so, remove every kext that is already present in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder then repair permissions & rebuild kernel cache using Kext Wizard.

@BlueCollarTonyStark

Yep, most likely something left over from your Chameleon install. 

If you have another hard drive laying around, pop it in and do a clean install using Clover Usb installer. I would be surprised if you had any issues like current.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

before updating to 10.10.5, I had built my OptiPlex 760 with the help of this guide here from scratch with a 10.10(.0 ?) installer app.

Here I have an OptiPlex 760 MT Core 2 Duo E8400 with 4 GB RAM but not with an ATI graphics card. I put in an EVGA GeForce GT740 SC 4 GB DDR3 because of there are two DVI ports on that card. I need two dual link DVI ports for two Dell 30" displays with 2560x1600 resolution each. Sound should not work now, because the config was made for sound within the ATI card port, or am I wrong? So I didn't test that, I like to config my graphics card first.

But, of course I know and knew that the configuration within the zip file of this guide here was designed for ATI/AMD and I have nVidia, I installed everything like assumed in this guide here with all the bells and whistles for 5450.

My OptiPlex is booting fine, but only one display is used at the DVI of the GT740 and is showing only half resolution: 1260x800. That's not very funny in front of a 30" display. :-|

Where should I dig for replacing the ATI config into nVidia?

Thanks for your hints and help.

;)

Kind regards

Sven

Try this :

Open the provided DSDT for AMD Radeon HD 5450 and copy paste/replace the following by beginning from device (PEG0) to device (GRFX) (before it starts actually) like this :

Device (PEG0) /* start to paste/replace here */
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Name (_SUN, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x0E)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                "Slot-1", 
                                "name", 
                                "Display Controller", 
                                "@0,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@2,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"@3,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
            } /* End of paste/replace */

Device (GRFX) /* Do NOT copy this part and the following ! */
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
                Method (_S1D, 0, NotSerialized)

This is just a test so I strongly advise that you make a copy of this patched NVIDIA DSDT and name it DSDT1.aml instead of DSDT.aml so Clover won't automatically loads it (assuming that DSDT.aml is already set in ACPI section of the config.plist).

Just call it on boot screen in the DSDT fix mask section. If it mess up your system or doesn't change anything, remove it from EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

DSDT_nvidia.aml.zip

Hum, if I take a look at your unzipped DSDT_nvidia.aml file (not the zip ;) ) with cat or nano, there are only hieroglyphics, not xml as expected. I'm not in front of my OptiPlex now, but I have the unzipped Optiplex 780-760 Clover package here. And there in Clover, ACPI, patched folder resides a DSDT.aml which shows these hieroglyphics too. Is there any voodoo I should do with these aml-files for editing?

Ok, forget it, I'm a fool.

I've to use a DSDT editor, like MaciASL.

• Like 1

No !

You can't open or edit DSDT files and more generally .aml or .dsl files with a simple text editor :D !

You must use dedicated softwares to do so such as MaciASL or DSDT Editor. You can easily find them by googling their names ;).

Note that you don't have to edit the attached DSDT_nvidia.aml as it's already patched for NVIDIA hardware. Edits above are only given for informative purpose.

Yeah!

:w00t:

Your DSDT (named DSDT1.aml and chosen manually) and

Inject Nvidia (X)

do the job.

Ok, the half job. Only one Display is working, but with 2560x1600 resolution. Fine.

System settings is showing (one) DELL 3007WFP.

For now, I renamed in EFI partition DSDT.aml to DSDT_ATI.aml, duplicated DSDT1.aml in DSDT_Nvidia.aml and renamed DSDT1.aml in DSDT.aml.

With Clover Configurator I loaded config.plist from DFI partition too and edited in Graphics ( ) Inject ATI and (X) Inject Nvidia.

After reboot I'm in the game (but only with one monitor). 

By the way: "About this Mac" shows the right graphics card: 

EVGA GeForce GT 740 0 MB

But with "0 MB". Perhaps there is something ... suboptimally 

Well you may try to change your SMBios from iMac10,1 to iMac13,1 and see what's happening. Again, duplicate your config.plist and rename it config2.plist then do your edits. At boot, call the config2.plist in Clover's options main menu.

Not sure but iMac13,1 has Nvidia GT 640M/650M cards where iMac10,1 has old GeForce 9400M/AMD Radeon HD 4670 models. Could have an influence on dual display. :unsure:

Note that it's very likely that your iCloud account will need to be reactivated if you have use of it (especially for iMessages actually). Not a big deal since all you have to do is confirm credentials but good to know. You'd better disconnect from the Internet when doing such tests ;).

Looks like HDMI audio is correctly recognized btw :).

Good morning,

I'll do if I'm at home again. :blush:

But - newer versions of iMac don't have DDR2 RAM any more, don't they? May that be an issue?

Audio and HDMI audio?

There is only a mini-HDMI port at the graphics cards back. So I need an adapter mini-HDMI to HDMI...

And system settings in OS X still don't show an internal sound device, only my Apple-TV boxes on the LAN are offered. Last night I was digging for some speakers and found some old plastic ones. I put their plug into the OptiPlex internal sound port at the back of the mini tower. For sure - they still will be quiet because of the fact, that there is no internal sound device shown. But if we are successful in configuration they will try to catch attention...

What do you think about param "NVCAP" for Clover?

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Graphics

What do they mean with "TV"? HDMI?

:shock::surprised::cry: Damned, why is this a plain graphics? I have to type this string by hand and no copy and paste. Counting zeros - grrr.  :ninja:

<key>NVCAP</key>
<string>04000000000003000C0000000000000700000000</string>

But - newer versions of iMac don't have DDR2 RAM any more, don't they? May that be an issue?

That shouldn't be an issue at all.

And system settings in OS X still don't show an internal sound device, only my Apple-TV boxes on the LAN are offered. (…) they still will be quiet because of the fact, that there is no internal sound device shown. But if we are successful in configuration they will try to catch attention...

I assume you did all necessary steps to enable AppleHDA patching, didn't you ?

Please, have a look at post #2 and provided .zip file. All you need to know is there ;).

What do you think about param "NVCAP" for Clover?

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Graphics

What do they mean with "TV"? HDMI?

:shock::surprised::cry: Damned, why is this a plain graphics? I have to type this string by hand and no copy and paste. Counting zeros - grrr.  :ninja:

<key>NVCAP</key>

<string>04000000000003000C0000000000000700000000</string>

NVCAP is already recognized as "04 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 0c 00 00 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 00" according to your IOReg so I guess there's nothing more to do with this paramater in Clover Configurator or config.plist. This value is automatically injected by Clover when it reads the video bios of your GeForce.

325a1ed6-aa9a-47b4-af0b-104d854f9a76.jpg

But for correct vram detection, you could set it right in the appropriate field in Clover Configurator just like this (note that it's purely cosmetic and has no effect on your real of fake hardware performance ;) ) :

8824ea62-12d4-4611-ab45-82b1356d982a.jpg

I assume you did all necessary steps to enable AppleHDA patching, didn't you ?

Please, have a look at post #2 and provided .zip file. All you need to know is there ;).

This respectively the pdf file was my guide. I used kext utility. But isn't this kext ment for sound in conjunction with the ATI 5450?

No.

AppleHDA patching (patched method or on-the-fly patching by Clover method) is "universal" and is mandatory since AppleHDA's original does not work OOB.

It works for any Optiplex 760/780 (probably for 790 too but not for 755 AFAIK) series. It's not related to the GFX card model. The only part that is is HDAU device defined in the DSDT but it's already set in the Nvidia one as you can see here :

dec6bd6f-181e-4097-83e7-cebe6d74f024.jpg

• Like 1