[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

hi guys,

I have followed all instructions and after few minor issues, I have managed all to make it work. Thank you for your support.

I have noticed one more thing. Its not a problem but kinda annoying. Whenever I reboot my hackintosh, on startup it comes up with "clover boot options" (displays few hard drive images) where I have to select the HD to boot the machine.

Is it possible or if there is a way, that on reboot, system automatically boot with the main hard drive (I dont have a dual OS).  Instead of someone selecting the drive and then booting the machine. I hope it is clear enough.

Please let me know your thoughts and if there is a way to do it.

Cheers

Plug it and add GraphicsEnabler=Yes for Chameleon or injectNvidia=true for Clover. That's it.

The 8400GS should work OOB. If not, you may have to use an EFI string. Google it if you don't know what it is or how to use it.

Good luck :)

Hi, you great helpers,

I still suffer from network lock ups.

I did what you said @polyzargone : I removed network kext from /EFI partition and installed it in /S/L/E.

The first night was promising. The first time w/o having to reboot. But after some hours of work I had another total network breakdown.

It happend coincidentally when mounting a samba share and moving data around.

More precisely: I was using rsync to backup data to a mounted samba share successfully for a couple of hours. Than I connected to a samba share on my Android mobile and wanted to move some images and baaam a minute or so later the network was down. (On a side note: rsync doesnt recognize that and it looks in the terminal like it would still copy files).

Any more ideas on how to fix that problem?

Hello,

I solved my network issue (so far) by installing AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip in the right place: /S/L/E  (of course I removed the other network driver). (see post #121 for details)

But I still got a loooot of other problems. Right now, performance is the biggest issue. The system is unbelievably slow and 8 GB of memory are always full. Not sure yet on how to tackle that problem.

you can set a timeout in Clover Configurator in the "Boot" section. Choose your system drive and a very short timeout and it will boot automatically. (Of course you have to import/export your config.plist.)

Thanks MacWiesel. This worked perfectly.

Guys I have noticed another issue but it happens over the time and has happened to me third time now.

What I have noticed is that over the time, my mac cannot copy files over the samba and it freezes the Finder as well as the whole network communication within the mac. The only thing then I can do is just restart the machine.

I have now tested this with fresh install of Yosemite multiple times. It works in the beginning and i get the right upload/download speed when copying files over windows share (samba) but over the time (may be 1-2 weeks later, in which i have installed few softwares on it as well) then it suddenly starts playing up and freezes the Finder and blocks complete network communication on the machine. I cannot even PING anything nor I can even view my settings via IFCONFIG....the cursor just keeps waiting. 

Now my question is that are their any known software compatibility issues on mac that could cause something like this. I know that Apple has written their own version of SAMBA now and it has few issues but how come it works without any issue on fresh install of the OSX but only occurs over time during which we might have installed few softwares.

I hope I have made it clear enough to understand. Please feel free to ask if any questions.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks MacWiesel. This worked perfectly.

Guys I have noticed another issue but it happens over the time and has happened to me third time now.

What I have noticed is that over the time, my mac cannot copy files over the samba and it freezes the Finder as well as the whole network communication within the mac. The only thing then I can do is just restart the machine.

I have now tested this with fresh install of Yosemite multiple times. It works in the beginning and i get the right upload/download speed when copying files over windows share (samba) but over the time (may be 1-2 weeks later, in which i have installed few softwares on it as well) then it suddenly starts playing up and freezes the Finder and blocks complete network communication on the machine. I cannot even PING anything nor I can even view my settings via IFCONFIG....the cursor just keeps waiting. 

Now my question is that are their any known software compatibility issues on mac that could cause something like this. I know that Apple has written their own version of SAMBA now and it has few issues but how come it works without any issue on fresh install of the OSX but only occurs over time during which we might have installed few softwares.

I hope I have made it clear enough to understand. Please feel free to ask if any questions.

Cheers

I did have the smb / samba problems as well, but not since I installed the AppleIntel kext to /S/L/E. (see here)

I had lots of problems mounting BaseSystem.dmg so I succeeded by doing the following:

1. Copy "Install OS X Yosemite" from the Applications folder and past it into the desktop

2. While holding down the Control key (The Windows icon key on a Windows/Non-Mac keyboard) Click on the copy of "Install OS X Yosemite" and choose "Show Package Contents" and expand the Contents and SharedSupport folders.

3. Double-click "InstallESD.dmg to mount it.

4. Run the Terminal app.

Step 14 is where I had problems with the open string in the instructions so the syntax I used is different and it worked:

5. Type or paste in the following command into the Terminal window: open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

i was able to get yosemite installed and booting but the problem i have is with the builtin Intel GMA 4500 HD and the ATI HD 3450 card that came with all my optiplex 780's.  After the install the mouse is really choppy and the display is recognized as "Display 3 MB"

Does anyone know how I can fix the video so it recognizes either the builtin or ideally the ATI HD 3450.  I have tried searching for kext files for both but cannot seem to find any.

Thanks.

The GMA 4500 HD Intel Graphics and the ATI HD 3450 don't work with OS X 10.10.

I have an HD4350 working with Yosemite. It requires ATIRadeoX2000.kext, ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX2000Driver.bundle, ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle to be installed in the Extensions folder. The string 0x95531002 must be in info.plist in the <key>IOPCIMatch</key> <string>0x95531002 </string> list.

This is how I successfully installed Yosemite and Mavericks on a 2 partition hard drive and be able to boot into either one:

1. Do the usual OSX formatting to create two partitions.

2. Install or clone (use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! or other cloner)  Mavericks 10.9.5 onto both partitions and install Chameleon or Clover as the bootloader. (If Mavericks is already installed on one partition, clone it to the second partition.)

3. Make sure that both Mavericks installations run with all the bells and whistles.

4. Update the Mavericks installation, on the partition which is not the one used to boot with, to Yosemite 10.10.2 and install all of the relevant kexts (especially graphics), DSDT, etc.

5. If the bootloader is Chameleon, boot into Mavericks and install Clover onto that (Mavericks) partition.

6. Reboot and Clover will appear asking which OSX to boot. Choose either Mavericks or Yosemite.

I had lots of problems mounting BaseSystem.dmg so I succeeded by doing the following:

1. Copy "Install OS X Yosemite" from the Applications folder and past it into the desktop

2. While holding down the Control key (The Windows icon key on a Windows/Non-Mac keyboard) Click on the copy of "Install OS X Yosemite" and choose "Show Package Contents" and expand the Contents and SharedSupport folders.

3. Double-click "InstallESD.dmg to mount it.

4. Run the Terminal app.

This is where I had problems with the open string in the instructions so the syntax I used is different and it worked:

5. Type or paste in the following command into the Terminal window: open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

Some of the Terminal Commands are missing quotation marks, and will not work without them, that will tend to make any commands after them not work.

should be:

cp "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg" /Volumes/Yosemite/

cp -a "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist" /Volumes/Yosemite/

rm /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

• Like 1

I tried to install Yosemite on my Optiplex 760 but I can't seem to boot it. I tried it with bios A15 and A16. I have no GPU installed but that shouldn't be the problem because booting the usb doesn't seem to work.

When following the guide there was one thing that wasn't clear to me. At step 5.25 you only have to copy(/merge) the /Clover folder, is this right? But you have to copy it to /EFI/EFI/Clover while on my USB this folder wasn't available. Only /EFI/Clover. So what I did was rename /EFI/Clover to something like /EFI/--CClover so it wouldn't be recognized (didn't knew if I could delete it) and I copied the content of the /Clover folder from the zip to /EFI/EFI/Clover (had to make this new folder)

According to step 6.3 you should change the bios

Change SATA Operation to AHCI (Leave the Booting mode on Legacy! UEFI is not support/does not work.)

I can only choose AHCI or Legacy, not both. I can't find the Legacy option anywere else?

When I try to boot USB device I get this screen (tried both options, AHCI and Legacy)

OqoYeVah.jpg

What am I doing wrong? :)

two small notes:

1. Title of this topic is Mavericks

2. The PDF file can't be downloaden from the startpost

The guide is misleading. You shouldn't merge files but replace them. Then, you should have the correct config.plist file and the right kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10.

You also made a confusion between the EFI partition that the Clover Install pkg should have created on your USB pen and the EFI folder which is meant to be in the EFI partition.

Therefore, you don't need to create/rename folders or files which is why boot fails. So my advice is to totally wipe out any files in the EFI Partition (even the hidden ones) and start from the beginning when it comes to install Clover on your USB pen (no need to entirely recreate the USB pen).

BTW, Optiplex 760 series doesn't use UEFI Bios, just legacy one so don't worry about that, just make sure AHCI is enabled. That's it :D !

• Like 2

The guide is misleading. You shouldn't merge files but replace them. Then, you should have the correct config.plist file and the right kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10.

You also made a confusion between the EFI partition that the Clover Install pkg should have created on your USB pen and the EFI folder which is meant to be in the EFI partition.

I installed Clover to the USB drive with the right settings like described here:

• Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge.
  • Open Clover package installer.
  • Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
  • Choose the USB, now called Yosemite.
  • Hit Customize and install Clover to the same USB with the following Custom Install settings: ( see image).

But then it says I need to copy the Clover folder out of the zip-file to /EFI/EFI/Clover

• Download this zip file.
  • Unzip the flies provided in CLOVER_780.zip.
  • Move all the files in the unzipped /Clover folder to /EFI/EFI/Clover/, Make sure to choose to MERGE these folders or overwrite them

So does it means I will have the following two folders on my USB drive?

- /EFI/Clover    (I just need to leave this as it is?)

- /EFI/EFI/Clover     (this is the folder I created by copying the Clover folder from the zip file to /EFI/EFI  (The EFI folder in EFI doesn't exist yet, so I need to make that one first)

Therefore, you don't need to create/rename folders or files which is why boot fails. So my advice is to totally wipe out any files in the EFI Partition (even the hidden ones) and start from the beginning when it comes to install Clover on your USB pen (no need to entirely recreate the USB pen).

But if you say it like this it's not what I wrote above this quote. This means I should empty the whole /EFI/ folder on the usb-drive and then copy clover to it? So I only have /EFI/Clover and not /EFI/EFI/Clover like in the guide?

BTW, Optiplex 760 series doesn't use UEFI Bios, just legacy one so don't worry about that, just make sure AHCI is enabled. That's it :D !

Okay cool, that explains why I couldn't find it :D

The boot screen I get when I try to boot my usb-drive. Is it because I did something wrong in my /EFI/ folder? Or did I do something else wrong? Or is it a setting somewhere that cause my usb-drive not to boot? Or might it be caused by the USB-drive itself? It's a cheap 8GB drive, don't know if all usb-drives are capable of booting

No, no no !

Are you sure you followed those steps ? :

5. Prepare Bootable USB Drive
This step extracts the OS X Installer contents, then installs clover bootloader to the USB stick.
Make sure to backup the files that are already on your USB flash drive:

• Insert the USB drive.
  • Open up /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
  • Highlight the USB drive in the left column.
  • Click on the partion tab.
  • Click Current and choose 1 Partition.
  • Click Options...
  • Choose GUID Partition Table.

The important part here is GUID Partition table. This step will automatically create an EFI partition on your USB pen ! Clover will be installed here when you'll run the installer and make sure that you select "Installed in ESP" ! That's another name for EFI.

From here, you shouldn't have issues anymore and things will be more clear !

Just take care to make the difference between the EFI partition & the EFI folder. The second is inside the first one :D

If it's still too confuse for you, take a look at here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2030113 for Clover.

or here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?do=findComment&comment=2019584 for Chameleon.

Just re-use the Clover.zip from the guide for Clover method or put the files in the right place for Chameleon (Extra folder actually).

• Like 1

Oh right okay thanks, I think it might went wrong at the partitioning part in the beginning. I don't have a mac, so someone else started this procedure for me. I finished the usb preparation from step 5.16 and further, so I actually don't know if he did it right.

Then I'll just have to wait to find someone with a Mac which I can borrow :D

I have tried this install guide but am unable to get the video working using the AMD HD 5450 and the suggested steps of modifying the kext files.  Is there some setting in clover that needs to be updated as well?

As a side note using another distro "Niresh Yosemite" that has cameleon, and using the modified AMD kexts it works.

Any assistance you be appreciated.

It's all about how and what you did.

• If you're using Jake Lo's DSDT, you must use original AMD kexts.

• If you're just using anoter DSDT from this thread and there's no GFX injection in it, you have to patch the AMD kexts.

• If you tried to set injectATI=true in Clover, it won't work with original kexts. You have to set it to false and use AMD patched kexts.

To patch AMD kexts, just follow the guide at post #1

• Like 1