[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

You could just use a cheap USB Bluetooth Adapter. I  think most show up in system report as Silicone Radio. They will usually work for everything but wake from sleep.

I am using a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, and Wake From Sleep is very important to me. I solved the problem by using a Rocketfish USB Bluetooth Adapter, which shows up in System information a a Broadcom made device. Then I just needed to do a simple Kext edit which is explained in detail here:

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=220&page=4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Succeded in almost everything! Thanks to you all! Using edited DSDT updated to 10.10.3. Great OS !

Just one advice I had to do, I had to begin installation with flag -save mode on to YOSEMITE Usb. That was the only way I was able to install.

How can you make a dual boot? I followed the guide here but except of 1 partition, I made 2. And I installed OS X to the first one. After that I followed all the steps and all worked fine and Yosemite booted as I wanted it to boot after the post install clover installation (8. Installing Clover on you Hackintosh)

6. Install OS X Yosemite.
This part is the most time consuming. Using a USB 4G flash drive will help things out quite a bit.
  • Shut Down.
  • Enter Bios via tapping F2 during boot.
  • Change SATA Operation to AHCI (Leave the Booting mode on Legacy! UEFI is not support/does not work.)
  • Click Save and reboot
  • Press the F12 key to choose boot device, select USB Drive
  • When Clover boot screen is visible, choose Boot "Mac OS X from Yosemite".
  • The system will then boot into OS X Installer.
  • For a new installation of OS X, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing. If you are upgrading from Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks and you want to keep your files and apps, skip steps a-j.
    a. Choose Disk Utility.
    b. Highlight your target hard drive for the Yosemite installation in left column.
    c. Click Partition tab.

d. Click Current and choose 1 Partition.
    e. Click Options...
    f. Choose GUID Partition Table.
    g. Under Name: type YosemiteHD (You can rename it later).
    h. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
    i. Click Apply then Partition.
    j. Close Disk Utility.

But now I've installed Windows Server 2012 R2 to the second partition and of course it will only boot Windows at first. I can still boot Yosemite with an usb-drive. But After fully installing Windows I wanted to install clover again and I followed these steps again:

8. Installing Clover on you Hackintosh
These settings will install the bootloader to the system drive's EFI partition automatically as part of the scripting. After completion, the system drive's EFI partition will automatically mount.
A few more changes need to be made to the default Clover installation:
pre2.jpg
  • Run the Clover installer once again, select the following things show in the image below.
  • Open Clover package installer.
  • Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location....
  • Choose the USB, now called YosemiteHD.
  • Hit Customize and install Clover with the following Custom Install settings: ( see image)

But it is still booting Windows Server 2012 R2, I don't get a clover bootscreen. How can I install this clover dual boot again?

Try "Install boot0ss in MBR" instead of "Install boot0af in MBR". This is the specific boot file when you have both OS X & Windows on the same drive.

thanks, this worked to boot osx without the usb-drive. But now clover won't show the option to boot Windows haha. How can I add the Windows to clover?

Try to add a custom entry in GUI panel in Clover Configurator. Name it as you wish "Windows" i.e. in Title/Full title and set his type to Windows and VolumeType to Internal like this (don't forget to check Entries under Custom and don't use \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi if you're not in full UEFI) :

post-1163891-0-68390700-1430046312_thumb.png

I could never could get Multiple Boot option to work with Clover. Tried the above to no avail, not sure if I missed something. Multiple searches on this site did not help me, many suggested it was easier to just use separate Hard drives. Very irritating to me that I could not get multi-boot to work, as Chameleon did it from standard install.

I think the main problem with dual boot on the same drive with Clover is the way Windows is installed. Since Optiplex series does not have an UEFI enabled bios, most of us is installing Windows on an MBR partionned scheme and not pure GPT/GUID.

That's also explain why this is so slow for somes to boot in Windows. The solution is to fool the Windows installer with Clover to make it thinks he is on an UEFI bios by using Clover.

In other words, you just have to boot Clover with an USB pen and choose UEFI install mode. That way, Windows will be installed on an GPT partitioned scheme instead of MBR allowing a further OS X installation on an unformated partition of the disk. And you should have booth Clover & Windows bootmanager on a unique EFI partition. Which is Clover preferred method to boot any OS.

Drawback is that you must use Clover to boot Windows and if something wrong happens with your OS X setup, you might be stuck with an un-bootable machine…

I partition the disc the exact same way that I partitioned for Lion and Mavericks dual boot, GUID partition table, then format one of the petitions DOS.  When installing Windows, format the DOS partition NTFS, then install Windows. Never a problem with Chameleon, but seems like you must be a rocket scientist to be able to do it with Clover.  Google search after Google search provided no answer for me, at least not one that I could make work.

I found out that on my Optiplex 780, there is another Sata connection under the main Hard Drive, and just barely enough room to install a 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive on top of the Power Supply, just behind and under the DVR Drive.  So a little bit of double sided tape to hold down the 2.5" drive, a Sata Power Spliter, and a Sata cord, and now I have two hard drives, one for OS X, and another for Windows.

I'm very surprised that Windows installer let you do it on a GPT partition scheme since Optiplex series doesn't have an UEFI Bios and that Chameleon can't boot an UEFI Windows install !

Actually, Windows installer automatically detects if you have an UEFI Bios and then it boots in the appropriate mode. No UEFI Bios means no pure GPT partioned scheme since that without a bootloader that fools the Windows installer, it's very likely that it will only boot in legacy mode…

I think that when you partitioned the drive with Disk Utility in OS X installer, it created an hybrid GPT/MBR partitioned scheme so the Windows installer actually thinks it's an MBR partitioned drive and not a GPT partitioned scheme hence allowing you to continue. And that's why Chameleon is able to boot Windows.

The point is that in the end, Windows is still not in pure UEFI mode and it's bootmanager isn't correctly see by Clover (it will seek an \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi). I mean, it's still bootable (for somes :P) but it's not pure GPT. And Clover seems to not like that <_<

@morpheousman

You should try to use the Clover trick to install Windows on your second HDD. But you know how the Windows installer can be such a pain in the **ss when it founds out there's multiple drive on the PC <_<.

So the solution is to physically disconnect the main HDD (the OS X one actually), use a Clover USB pen, boot on it then select the Windows UEFI DVD (easiest way I think :P) to begin the installation.

I'm almost sure it will dramatically reduce boot time and will make it easy for Clover to correctly detect the right bootmanager :D !

(I have the Optiplex 760 SFF)

Okay I managed to destroy the installation of both haha. I could make Windows 8 (or server 2012 R2 in my case, but it is essentially the same) boot while Yosemite installed. Then it boots from the partition where Windows is installed to (and not the EFI partition) But of course Yosemite will only boot when I use an USB-drive.

I can make Yosemite boot with clover, then it boots boots with clover from the EFI partition. Yosemite works fine then but Windows won't boot. I can get the Windows partition in the clover list (when I put scan with Clover Configurator to legacy) but it won't boot Windows cause it will say the MBR is broken or faulty or something like that. I have tried hours to make it both bootable.

But now I did something and I can't get Windows to boot again haha.. And I've put so much effort in it to make Server 2012 R2 usable for desktop use, lol. Tried all the fixboot/fixmbr/scanos/rebuildbcd and even the bootsect.exe /NT60 stuff but nothing. Linux boot repair also didn't fix the problem.

So my question is, is here anyone who got this Optiplex 760 working with dual boot? I only have place for one harddisk (SFF). I also don't have the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi, I guess this is because of the lack of UEFI support? What happens if I manually add this file?

I used GUID like mentioned in the guide, why do we need to use this and not MBR?

Would chameleon or something make it possible to use dualboot?

So my question is, is here anyone who got this Optiplex 760 working with dual boot? I only have place for one harddisk (SFF). I also don't have the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi, I guess this is because of the lack of UEFI support? What happens if I manually add this file?

I used GUID like mentioned in the guide, why do we need to use this and not MBR?

Would chameleon or something make it possible to use dualboot?

You have two options :

- try the Clover trick mention above. It's a bit unusual setup and might don't work in the end :unsure:. I did it on my Dell D830 laptop but it has 2 separate HDD. But I guess it should works for an OSX/Win dualboot as it actually does that way with Win/Mint 17.1 Linux distro on the same drive while OS X lies alone in it's own SSD :D

- Get back to Chameleon as it remains, IMHO, the simplest and best bootloader for Optiplex Series. There's no real benefit to use Clover on such computers as they're lacks native UEFI support, doesn't have any audio codec which is compatible with an on-the-fly patched AppleHDA and doesn't need any other patch to have complete sleep/wake support thanks to the great job on DSDT's made by Jake Lo and some others :thumbsup_anim: .

And, most importantly, Chamelon DOES boot Windows & OS X in no time and without any super extra skills ! In other words, Clover is useless on that setups :whistle: Unless you are very very dependent on iMessages (witch is IMHO more a toy than something else :P . I means, seriously, there are dozens of IM softwares out there !)

And BTW, if you really, really, really want to hide any Bootloader-related files, you can just install them in the EFI partition, just like Clover do :D:hysterical:

Google it, it's totally workable !

We don't. :P

Just use an MBR patch if you don't want to deal with the GUID, EFI and Recovery HD partition thing :D

post-1163891-0-71473200-1430420190_thumb.png

Does anyone have any idea why I seemingly randomly boot into the OS after selecting my HD from the boot loader? It goes the same for the USB install and the actual installed OS on the HD.  It constantly will restart and eventually will boot into the OS after a few attempts and I'll have no issues at that point.  I tried to see what happens in verbose mode, but it just restarts too quickly and I don't see what the text says.

edit: looks like the voodooHDA problem mentioned early is the issue and it appears fixed

edit 2:  Maybe not?  This is what I've done:

1. install fresh copy of OS X to HD

2. boot into OS X and install all files and kexts but voodoohda

3. restart and boot again into OSX

4. restart and boot again into OSX

5. delete  AppleIntelE1000e and install Intel82566MM to see if there are any differences and reboot

6. failure to boot 

7. turn computer on again and it boots into OSX

I really don't understand what the issue is.

edit 3: after about 10 failures to boot and finally a boot I recorded the verbose mode to see what it says and I'm getting "agpm controller unknown platform" as my last thing.  Yet, it still booted with that error after a ton of failures.  it seems this has something to do with the graphics.  I'm using a gt 630 that worked out of box on my optiplex 745 without issue.  Can someone tell me how to fix this?  Does this have to do with the DSDT or config file? I'm using the original, not the edited one.

edit 4: okay, I changed Nvidia to true and ATI to false under the config file, so I'm hoping that fixed it.  I had 2 successful boots in a row so far.

What's your bootloader and where are placed "extra" kexts (i.e Extra/Extensions for Chameleon, EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 for Clover or S/L/E) ?

VoodooHDA must be use along with AppleHDADisabler in order to avoid potential KP.

Read previous posts to understand where and why those extra kexts are meant to be placed.

Things should be OK if you follow the procedure and understand the correct use of kexts in OS X (in particular with different places for the same kext…).

What's your bootloader and where are placed "extra" kexts (i.e Extra/Extensions for Chameleon, EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 for Clover or S/L/E) ?

VoodooHDA must be use along with AppleHDADisabler in order to avoid potential KP.

Read previous posts to understand where and why those extra kexts are meant to be placed.

Things should be OK if you follow the procedure and understand the correct use of kexts in OS X (in particular with different places for the same kext…).

The problem was that ATI was marked true and Nvidia was marked false under the config. I switched that around and its working well now.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, I have a patched AppleHDA

see Downloads - first versions
works very nicely
Problems only with input control

edit:
I have solved the problem.
Now the world's first AppleHDA for Dell Optiplex 780 (760) is completed.
I have researched and tested several weeks. It was not easy.
I look forward to positive feedback.
  • Like 2

Hello, and much respect to the community for assistance. I've followed the steps for this model: Optiplex 780, it's nearly the same as the one I have; mine is the MT. This guide was helpful enough but a bit *confusing. I'm also having issues with the video display. There's isn't a icon on the task bar (top of screen) for the monitors for me to change the setting even when it's selected in the System Preferences. I can't turn on the video screen sharing to the AppleTV. I like to use the AppleTV as a 3rd monitor but that's not an option. Something I enjoyed on a real Mac.  But everything else works except something went wrong with the start up. I have to change the system name each time I try to boot from Clover, if I try to boot without making the change I get a kernel panic right at startup.

*I think I've over copied the EFI folder and the config.plist far too many times in my attempts to fix the boot up issue. The same was done for the Extensions in the EFI folder. Ironically, it's working!!  :hysterical: I'm now having graphical issues when I pull up any folder that has a image in the background. And if I try to use Preview to view an image, it gets pixilated and distorted after about a few seconds. I would include a screen capture but I have no idea how to do this for this forum. Would you have any idea what could be the issue? Right now I'm trying to check the dates on the kexts that are in the EFI Extensions folder to see if they are current. I have removed most of the extra copies I had. I'm more than happy to video what it is I see and do during my start up.  I would love to have a video guide for the model machine I have.  I'm sure I won't mind paying for that! Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you  :)

Edited by iciconnect

Audio see Downloads: AppleHDA for Optiplex 780 (HPET and LPC must be fine)

for DSDT:
Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x08)
                        {
                            "built-in", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }, 
                            "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                            "hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

for Graphics:
Edit info.plist and add 0x68F91002

AMD5000Controller.kext

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x68F91002 0x68981002 0x68991002 0x68E01002 0x68E11002 0x68D81002 0x68C01002 0x68C11002 0x68D91002 0x68B81002 0x68B01002 0x68B11002 0x68A01002 0x68A11002 </string>

AMDRadeonX3000.kext see section AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x68F91002 0x68E01002</string>

Framebuffer name is Eulemur, add in Clover config.plist and Inject ATI

for DSDT:
Device (PEG0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x10)
                            {
                                "device-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0xF9, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "ATY,DeviceID", 
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0xF9, 0x68
                                }, 
                                "vendor-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "ATY,VendorID", 
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10
                                }, 
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                Buffer (0x07)
                                {
                                    "Slot-1"
                                }, 
                                "model", 
                                Buffer (0x1C)
                                {
                                    "XFX one HD5450 HDMI/DVI/VGA"
                                }, 
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }, 
                                "@0,AAPL,boot-display", 
                                Buffer (Zero) {}
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

running perfectly, have fun
:)
  • Like 1

Thanks MacPeet. I'll try this ASAP on my 760 system especially for AppleHDA audio :D

Just one question :

Wouldn't it better to leave AMD5000Controller.kext & AMDRadeonX3000.kext untouched and set

"device-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
     0xE0, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
}, 
"ATY,DeviceID", 
Buffer (0x02)
{
     0xE0, 0x68
}, 
instead of

"device-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
     0xF9, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
}, 
"ATY,DeviceID", 
Buffer (0x02)
{
     0xF9, 0x68
}, 
That way, you actually use existing and vanilla vendor/device ID's (e.g. 0x68E01002) instead of edited one's. You also avoid the need to edit kexts at every OS X updates which is the main benefit from using a DSDT ;).
  • Like 1

thank you, perfect, it works great with the vanilla Device
Also, the framebuffer accesses by this method. perfect :)

ioreg | grep ATY

| |   |   | +-o ATY,Eulemur@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000292, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | | +-o ATY_Eulemur  <class AMDFramebuffer, id 0x100000295, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (3 ms), retain 16>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,Eulemur@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000293, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | | +-o ATY_Eulemur  <class AMDFramebuffer, id 0x10000029a, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 14>
    | |   |   | +-o ATY,Eulemur@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000294, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 8>
    | |   |   | | +-o ATY_Eulemur  <class AMDFramebuffer, id 0x10000029f, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 14>

:thumbsup_anim:

Audio:
I can not say whether the 760 uses the same node. I hope for you.
A report would be nice.
Edited by MacPeet
  • Like 1

Hello !

Reporting back from my fully functional Optiplex 760 with AppleHDA patched kext :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Have you tested HDMI audio ? I can't atm cause I don't have the hardware… But I'm confident ! I'm pretty sure there's a lot more chance it will with a patched AppleHDA rather than with VoodooHDA.

Nice work MacPeet ! Next step : on-the-fly Clover patch for AppleHDA and we'll own one of the most perfect and affordable Hackintosh system ever :D

Best regards from France !

• Like 1