[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

A really serious case  :no:

For me the sound is very good. With me Headphone has great sound quality.

Has he now sound via VoodooHDA or AppleHDA ????

Delete AppleHDADisabler.kext, VoodooHDA and VoodooHDASettingsloader in System Preferences/Startup object

post-1358580-0-62119700-1432226539_thumb.png

Hello,

it sounded very promising to have native Audio with HDMI as well so I tried to install the AppleHDA as well.

My steps:

(Big mistake, accidentally overrid config.plist with an empty one, grrrrrr)

- del VoodooHDA, VoodooHDASettingsloader, AppleHDADisabler

- Install AppleHDA_Version3 with Kext Wizard

- import MacPeets sample config.plist and change Serials etc.

- mod DSDT.aml with MaciASL:

"layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

- fixed permissions and rebuilt cache with Kext Wizard

- Rebooted.

Unfortunately regular system audio is not working at all... :/ Can't test HDMI.

@morpheousman

Here's another edited DSDT with GFX, HDAU & HDEF devices fixed. It's based on Jake Lo's original DSDT so it's basically the same as the one you're currently using. Use this with patched AppleHDA v3 (HDAEnabler1.kext is useless in this case) or On-the-fly patching method.

It works with both !

You can't fail with all of this informations :D

Hello,

it sounded very promising to have native Audio with HDMI as well so I tried to install the AppleHDA as well.

My steps:

(Big mistake, accidentally overrid config.plist with an empty one, grrrrrr)

- del VoodooHDA, VoodooHDASettingsloader, AppleHDADisabler

- Install AppleHDA_Version3 with Kext Wizard

- import MacPeets sample config.plist and change Serials etc.

- mod DSDT.aml with MaciASL:

"layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

- fixed permissions and rebuilt cache with Kext Wizard

- Rebooted.

Unfortunately regular system audio is not working at all... :/ Can't test HDMI.

Editing config.plist for on-the-fly patching is unnecessary as you're already use the patched AppleHDA v.3. Remove these edits and it should work ;). Or use method 2. But not both at the same time.

Also, check that HDEF device is correctly placed in the DSDT. I've noticed that Jake Lo's original one is incorrectly configured on that particular point.

DSDT.zip

• Like 1

Yea it's really hard to follow (but I know it's a early stage).

I would create a new thread with a clean step-by-step, but i have so many problems with my setup that I wouldn't dare to recommend that.

Biggest problem: Speed. The PC is so frickin slow! And everyone elses seem to be excited about how fast and smooth everyhting runs.

I just don't understand that. :/

Something is wrong indeed. I have no speed issue so far. Could be an hardware problem as you're already mention that in another post if I'm correct. You can still try to start from scratch but I'm not sure it will solve your speed issue as I don't see where this come from.

Did you follow the guide (plus it's multiples corrections :D) or did you tried something else or some alternative way ?

• Like 1

I tried to follow the guide by the letter. Including all the follow ups. One big issue seems to be the RAM that keeps filling up which leads to total slowness. Still even right after a reboot the haptics are.. somehow slow and laggy.

Back to the current problem: I included your DSDT. Thanks again for all your help.

Which config.plist changes should I reverse? I forgot to tell, that I deleted all the Kernel and Kext Patches.

Actually I'm not even sure how to get a clean config.plist. (Installing Clover again and tick all the necessary thingies?)

Maybe I should start from scratch... god I feel like a massive noob. :/

Here's mine minus my personal data (SMBios iMessage data, GUI Entries, etc.). It will work fine with my last edited DSDT in previous post and the patched AppleHDA v3 method by MacPeet.

For on-the-fly patching, you'll have to edit it according to MacPeet's instructions.

For your speed issue, did you tried with another OS ? Do a memtest with a Linux LiveCD or Hiren's BootCD to check if RAM isn't faulty.

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Ok I tried your DSDT and your config.plist. Both did not work for me and now I'm so tired that I accidentally keep pressing CMD+Q everywhere.

I might try the on-the-fly patching tomorrow. But I really don't understand why this doesn't work here.

About the speed issue: I didn't try a different system yet. I started a memtest the other day but didn't finish because it needs so much time! Will do that tonight while I'm gone.

Need sleep now.

Thanks so far.

@Polyzargone

I installed HDAEnabler1 and tried both simple method 1 and injection, no success.

No HDMI in Sound Settings. Did I miss something? Was this only for Method I or Method 2?

Probably something simple in my config, or kext conflict. I am still trying to learn. 

@ MacPeet

ioreg attached for you.

Delete AppleHDADisabler.kext, VoodooHDA and VoodooHDASettingsloader in System Preferences/Startup objectDelete AppleHDADisabler.kext, VoodooHDA and VoodooHDASettingsloader in System Preferences/Startup object

How do I do that? I have google searched, but cannot find answer.

post-744883-0-72632200-1432253862_thumb.png

post-744883-0-03143100-1432253953_thumb.png

post-744883-0-33104700-1432254234_thumb.png

Yes, I have AppleHDA audio out the Line out and Headphones. Headphones are sounding pretty good too. :)

Did I patch my Config correctly?

Thanks for your help! 

Edit: I tried to boot with the DSDT you attached a few posts back, and it hangs on boot. Hangs at dependency:com.apple.10kit.IOACPIFAMILY(1.4)......

Will not boot Ignore Cache, or Injected Kexts.  Had to connect the hard drive to another install via USB and change the DSDT back.  Weird Stuff!

My case is the SFF not the Mid Tower. Not sure how much that matters. My SFF only has 2 PCI slots, if that matters.

DSDT.aml.zip

@Polyzargone

I used your config from post #234, and your DSDT with Version 3 AppleHDA.Kext and......

Woohooo!  :thumbsup_anim:  Fully-Functional AppleHDA Sound, including Sound Over HDMI.  :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like my config had issues. I will start with your config, and add on from there.

Edit: I cannot open your Config in Clover Configurator. Just empty windows. I edited my RTVariables in TextEdit. Too tired to look for an update now.

Many thanks!!!  :yes:

@MacPeet

Thank you so much for your contributions to this Optiplex 780/760 project!!!   :D

Please do us all a large favor, and keep coming back!  :yes:

post-744883-0-36722600-1432285021_thumb.png

@morpheousman

Finally :D:thumbsup_anim:  !

Have you updated Clover Configurator to 4.22.9 yet ? It may be due to changes on how config.plist are managed (which is far more better than previous versions BTW) because I don't have any problems opening the one from #234.

@Polyzargone

Trouble in paradise already.  :)

I cannot open your config.plist with Clover Configurator?  had to edit in my RtVariables with TextEdit. After reboot,  iMessage working, but still cannot see anything when I load config into CloverConfigurator.

All windows empty. cannot click on most windows. Gonna make it tough if I have to edit everything on config manually. Any ideas?

Had the same problem with old Clover Configurator. Updated to v4.22.5.

Strangest thing. I just tried again and used @Polyzargone DSDT & config.plist and its still not working!

put DSDT to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

in the config.plist I just changed the boot mode to verbose and changed smbios variables.

Next I will try the on-the-fly approach.

BTW: #speed: Last night I did a memtest on my memory, they are all good.

attached is the config.plist w/o smbios info.

oh and one more thing: I get a whole window of this error on startup:

BUG in process suhelperd[223]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)

@morpheousman

congratulation  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

thank you, it makes not make any sense to patch the AppleHDA just for me.

I am happy if I can help.

@macwiesel

What a SMBios Mac model you have set?
What is your CPU?
You work hopefully without NullCPU .....
Did you perhaps wrong CPU data in the config.plist?

My Dell runs with Q9400 and SSD. Starting time 20 seconds.
  • Like 2

Had the same problem with old Clover Configurator. Updated to v4.22.5.

Strangest thing. I just tried again and used @Polyzargone DSDT & config.plist and its still not working!

put DSDT to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

in the config.plist I just changed the boot mode to verbose and changed smbios variables.

Next I will try the on-the-fly approach.

BTW: #speed: Last night I did a memtest on my memory, they are all good.

attached is the config.plist w/o smbios info.

oh and one more thing: I get a whole window of this error on startup:

BUG in process suhelperd[223]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)

Well I think you really should do a clean install from scratch. I'm not skilled enough to see why and what is the issue but I guess there's something really wrong with your setup.

Make a Time Machine for your docs & Apps and start over. That's all I can say :(.

But If you still want to make some tests for AppleHDA & HDMI audio support before the great spring-cleaning :hysterical: , I suggest you to read all previous posts we had with morpheousman. I think you just have a problem with some unappropriated kexts such as AppleHDADisabler etc.

Actually, it's a very simple process as long as you follow MacPeet's instructions to the letter, check your kexts and use the right DSDT/config.plist.

The point is to carefully use the correct kexts in your case because with my config.plist (even lightly edited for SMBios and iMessage settings) and my DSDT you already have everything you need to successfully enable AppleHDA & HDMI audio (sorry MacPeet if I only mention my files, all credits goes to you, there's no discussion on that :D) !

Also, try one method at a time, not both of them. I have doubts that it will works if so…

• Like 3

@morpheousman

Finally :D:thumbsup_anim:  !

Have you updated Clover Configurator to 4.22.9 yet ? It may be due to changes on how config.plist are managed (which is far more better than previous versions BTW) because I don't have any problems opening the one from #234.

@Polyzargone

Okay, I got some sleep, and did a search, and found the latest version of Clover Configurator.

I just updated to 4.22.11 and I can open it now.  :)

Thanks

@morpheousman

congratulation  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

thank you, it makes not make any sense to patch the AppleHDA just for me.

I am happy if I can help.

@macwiesel

What a SMBios Mac model you have set?
What is your CPU?
You work hopefully without NullCPU .....
Did you perhaps wrong CPU data in the config.plist?

My Dell runs with Q9400 and SSD. Starting time 20 seconds.

Injection Method now up and running!   :thumbsup_anim:

Using PlistEdit Pro it was very easy to copy and paste the Graphics and KernelAndKextPatches sections  from MacPeet's  Config.plist.

This project is helping me to learn. :)   Starting to understand why some of these kexts are needed, and not needed.  :)

When I got my first 780 up and running with Mavericks, I just followed the guide and installed the Kexts in the Package provided, but i really did

not understand what they did, or why they were needed. Don't get me wrong, the 780 Mavericks Guide is an awesome guide.  :yes:

Getting Yosemite up and running with Clover has been very frustrating at times, but it has also been very rewarding, because it has forced me to learn more. 

@MacPeet

Do you know anything about Dual-Boot with with one Hard Drive? Can it be done with Clover?  :drool:

It was always easy with Chameleon Boot loader.  I also have Window 8 running on my 780, but that is with a separate 2.5" hard drive that I have installed

with sticky tape on top of the front of the Power Supply, and under the Optical Drive.

post-744883-0-76439800-1432339723_thumb.jpeg

@ MacPeet

My Optiplex has a E8400, 3ghz CPU, with 8gb Ram, it takes over a minute to boot once it gets to the Clover screen.

Total boot time is about 2 minutes.

After the Dell Splash Screen I see a Dash, "-" at the top left corner of the screen for about 45 seconds, then I get The Clover Screen. Then it takes about 70 seconds to Desktop.

Seems to run good once it is up and running.

Any ideas how I could speed up the boot process.?

Where would I find the correct numbers for the CPU data? Bus speed and Frequency seem easy, but Latency, QPI, Type and then the C2, C3, etc are very confusing.

Searching all over for correct CPU values.

SSD brings much

Attempts in Clover configurator left side "Generate config"
Generate config is stored on the desktop. There check the CPU data.
Then transfer the data in your config and testing.
Testing, Testing, Testing  :)

@ MacPeet

My Optiplex has a E8400, 3ghz CPU, with 8gb Ram, it takes over a minute to boot once it gets to the Clover screen.

Total boot time is about 2 minutes.

After the Dell Splash Screen I see a Dash, "-" at the top left corner of the screen for about 45 seconds, then I get The Clover Screen. Then it takes about 70 seconds to Desktop.

Seems to run good once it is up and running.

Any ideas how I could speed up the boot process.?

I assume that Clover is installed in UEFI and not Legacy (EFI folder) at the root of system disk since you're always referencing to the EFI partition.

It could be interesting to see what's in your EFI/Clover/drivers folders. The less you have files in them, the fastest the boot process is. Also, check that this line isn't in your config.plist :

Boot/Log=true

or

<key>Debug</key>

<true/>

If so, remove it. It will dramatically speed up boot time !

You can also reduce the amount of themes folders and/or choose a more minimalist one because loading a lot of .png/icns files takes time (especially huge and wide backgrounds) :P

Not being on a true UEFI bios is slowing the boot time for sure but it shouldn't be that long.

that's right

less in Clover is better, no logs, no debug.
I work without themes

Yeah, I did that 2 or 3 months back. Generated config does not show all of the values in the CPU field. Sows BusSpeed, CPU Freq, nothing in Latency field, and only shows One active core when this is a Dual Core.

Tried a bunch of things, but nothing is speeding up the boot process.  I think your Quad Core is just much stronger CPU than my e8400 Dual Core.

Computer runs good once it is booted, so that is what is important. :)