[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

This DSDT from Post 230 is apparently for the 760 !?

The 780 has different ID values in USB and ISA / SBUS
so beware

I have used one variation or another of that DSDT on my 780 SFF for several months. What kind of issues should we be concerned about?

I have tried the DSDT that you posted in Post #216,  but the Sleep Function will not work.  :(

I think your MT has 3 PCI slots instead of 2? Could that be the issue with the sleep function?

I have not taken care of Sleep. I do not need it. Sleep I have to revise.

DSDT not like DSDT. There may be many differences in the hardware.
CPU Type must be adjusted and other things.
It is better to adjust the extracted own DSDT.
  • Like 1

I have not taken care of Sleep. I do not need it. Sleep I have to revise.

DSDT not like DSDT. There may be many differences in the hardware.
CPU Type must be adjusted and other things.
It is better to adjust the extracted own DSDT.

I just wanted to point that the IDs are different.

780 - ISA (SBUS) 3A18
780 - USB0 to 5 - 3A64 to 3A69

760 - ISA (SBUS) 3A30
760 - USB0 to 5 - 3A34 to 3A39

I am very grateful to have a working solution you provided for AppleHDA Sound with Sound over HDMI, and any kind of DSDT that works with Sleep. ;)

I have spent many hours, on many nights trying to learn how to extract and edit a DSDT, as well as a solution for HDMI Sound. Many nights with blurry 

eyes and being frustrated that I could not figure out how to get those working. Trust me, it is not for lack of effort. Then, on top of that, trying to learn a little about Clover.  :rolleyes:

We all have our own strengths as well as areas where we may struggle.

morpheousman,

I used the DSDT that was posted in the clover780.zip because I didn't want to worry about have to reinstall kext's when i update.  Is there a DSDT only edit or EFI way so that when I update OSX i don't have to worry about reinstalling anything?

If you are referring to AppleHDA sound, you may want to try MacPeet's solution using injection method. ;)  Keep in mind that only saves you from reinstalling one kext after an update.

If sound is not that important for you, than use the Voodoo kext for sound, and just about any one of the edited DSDT that have been posted in this thread. 

I didn't tried sleep/wake with DSDT from post #230 yet. Since it's based on Jake Lo's original one and that these functions worked nice with it, I guess it won't change anything on that particular point. Edits only concerns HDEF, GFX & HDAU devices.

No Framebuffer info in it, just fake device ID's. So if you're good with it, enabling AppleHDA & HDMI audio support should be the only thing you may notice. That said, using Shrike Framebuffer to get HDMI audio support may explain why sleep/wake doesn't work anymore. We had similar issue using Eulemur Framebuffer and HDMI video output before causing black screens after wake.

I'm not skilled enough to find a fix for that, maybe a patched framebuffer could do the job. But unless we use Clover to do so, I think it's a little bit too "hardcore" way :P

I didn't tried sleep/wake with DSDT from post #230 yet. Since it's based on Jake Lo's original one and that these functions worked nice with it, I guess it won't change anything on that particular point. Edits only concerns HDEF, GFX & HDAU devices.

No Framebuffer info in it, just fake device ID's. So if you're good with it, enabling AppleHDA & HDMI audio support should be the only thing you may notice. That said, using Shrike Framebuffer to get HDMI audio support may explain why sleep/wake doesn't work anymore. We had similar issue using Eulemur Framebuffer and HDMI video output before causing black screens after wake.

I'm not skilled enough to find a fix for that, maybe a patched framebuffer could do the job. But unless we use Clover to do so, I think it's a little bit too "hardcore" way :P

Sleep/wake is working on my 780, I believe with last DSDT you posted, maybe the one before that.

Polyzargone and I did some edits to the Guide. These reflect all of the members input.

It is in Post #2. If you see errors, message one of us. ;)

25. Copy and paste the Clover Folder into the USB Drive, Make sure to Choose To Replace The Clover Folder.

If I'm not mistaken, this should say:

25. Copy and paste the Clover Folder into the USB Drive/EFI folder, Make sure to Choose To Replace The Clover Folder.

Right?

• Like 1

25. Copy and paste the Clover Folder into the USB Drive/EFI folder, Make sure to Choose To Replace The Clover Folder.

Right?

Right :D !

To be even more accurate, should be : Copy and paste the Clover Folder into the USB Drive > EFI partition > EFI folder and make sure to Choose To Replace The Clover Folder

• Like 1

Right?

Got it, thanks! :)

Right :D !

To be even more accurate, should be : Copy and paste the Clover Folder into the USB Drive > EFI partition > EFI folder and make sure to Choose To Replace The Clover Folder

EDIT: Made some more changes to edited Guide. Trying to keep things consistent, and as simple as possible.

Proof Reading  welcomed. ;)

• Like 1

Hi @morpheousman

I just reinstalled from scratch using the new updated guide and I have a few suggestions:

5.25 The EFI "partition" is just a regular folder. Not hidden. No need to mount it. (As far as I could tell.)

7.1 finder –preferences –General >> Finder/Preferences/General

7.6 “Allow applications >> “Allow apps

8.5 There is no "BootCamp" Theme in the new Clover Version anymore. That could confuse people.

8.6 Since this is a noob step-by-step tutorial, I would suggest to point out how to mount EFI exactly: Open Clover Configurator > "Mount EFI" in the left panel > Mount EFI at the bottom > choose correct drive (YosemiteHD) when asked. And how to open/save (import/export) config.plist.

8.7 YosemiteHD EFI Partition > EFI Folder >> I would suggest to write absolute paths. like /System/Volumes/EFI/EFi/ (can't check for the correct path right now.)

8.x One step in the install process should be to randomize the SMBios again right? I mean otherwise everyone will have the same IDs (maybe I'm wrong about that)

10 Please describe BOTH methods. Because Method 1 didn't work for me (again). And to try Method 2, I'm pretty sure I had to delete HDAEnabler1.kext again.

10 In the /Optiplex 780 Clover folder is a file called ReadMe Clover Folder.rtf which has an own set of instructions that is contradicts your tutorial a little. You are supposed to install FakeSMC.kext even though its already in the /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder.

10.2 (there's a comma) Non-injection folder >> what is the Non-injection folder?? Needs clarification!

11 MOST IMPORTANT: there was no Ethernet folder and no Intel82566MM.kext and no AppleIntelE100.kext (>> typo: AppleIntelE1000.kext) >> had to reboot into old system to get the correct files which could be a show stopper for a first timer.

Thanks for the updated guide I appreciate it! :)

I will discuss the steps some more with Polyzargon. 

I was wondering if absolute paths would be too confusing at first for some.  EFI/EFIClover/Kexts/10.10   , can be a bit confusing for some who has only used Chameleon. 

I believe the Guide is only going to support Method 1, non injection, again, this is to keeps things simple. If someone wants to try injection method, we can put

a readme in the clover folder, and people can ask questions if they need to on thread, or maybe even read a few posts firsts. LOL

I just did a fresh install on a new drive. I installed the HDAEnabler1.kext, and the AppleHDA kext.   Sound did NOT work until I updated to 10.10.3

Also, if injection method works, non-injection should also work, and visa versa.

Last I looked, both ethernet kexts were in a folder in the Clover zip, I will check again, something might have gotten left out during some of the changes we made.

As far as mounting the EFI Partition, Clover Installer will do that itself. Clover Configurator is mentioned as an option to mount EFI, again, the Search Engine is a good tool here.

Maybe I can zipup Polyzargone into the Clover 760-780.zip file, then any newbie can unzip the file and Polyzargone can hold their hand and spoon feed them. :)

Also, if injection method works, non-injection should also work, and visa versa.

Maybe I can zipup Polyzargone into the Clover 760-780.zip file, then any newbie can unzip the file and Polyzargone can hold their hand and spoon feed them. :)

There's an even more simple way to do have both methods "ready to use" !

Just make a folder with two config.plist : 1 for non-injection and 1 other for injection :D:hysterical:

The only difference between the two is :

1/ Non-injection : Install patched AppleHDA.kext & HDAEnabler1.kext

2/ Injection : Copy vanilla AppleHDA.kext to desktop, add the layout1.zml.zlib and Platforms.zml.zlib to it then install back to S/L/E. Last, copy RealtekALC.kext to EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10

Not a big deal even for newbies. A README file with this little explanation should be clear enough :rolleyes:

Installer works fine with OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" ! :thumbsup_anim:

Just install Clover r3224 and replace (not merge) the whole EFI folder on the EFI partition of the USB pen by the one attached. Nothing more :D

Enjoy !

Cool! Thats good to hear! What did you change in the EFI Folder?

BTW: What do you think about 'El Capitan'? Worth an upgrade? Any performance and feature improvements?

A positive feedback: After installing from scratch to a SSD drive the performance is MUCH better. No complaints so far. ;)

Well this a minimalist package to reach the installer without issues. There's just 2 kexts : FakeSMC.kext & Intel82566MM.kext (could be just FakeSMC.kext BTW) in a 10.11 folder and new bootflag rootless=0 in config.plist to bypass Apple's new security system reenforcement.

That's all. There's no settings for AppleHDA injection since I don't think it will work with El Capitan. Read El Capitan's topics and you'll see there's a lot of problem with this DP1, especially with USB devices, kext editing or on-the-fly patching etc.

That's why I didn't install El Capitan DP1 on the Optiplex yet. I'll probably wait for more stable release or final release. This EFI.zip file is just for those who want to have a working USB pen to install OS X 10.11 DP1. I have not tested the OS yet on them.

That said, I have another Hack with El Capitan installed and on first sight, the system is much more responsive than Yosemite. Some annoying things seems to have been fixed but since it's a DP1, I really can't tell anythnig on performance & stability :P.

Now, from a "new feature" point of view, it's just Yosemite 2.0. The big one and probably the most important for us Hackintosh users, is that security has been really strengthen :surprised::worried_anim:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @morpheousman

I just reinstalled from scratch using the new updated guide and I have a few suggestions:

5.25 The EFI "partition" is just a regular folder. Not hidden. No need to mount it. (As far as I could tell.)

7.1 finder –preferences –General >> Finder/Preferences/General

7.6 “Allow applications >> “Allow apps

8.5 There is no "BootCamp" Theme in the new Clover Version anymore. That could confuse people.

8.6 Since this is a noob step-by-step tutorial, I would suggest to point out how to mount EFI exactly: Open Clover Configurator > "Mount EFI" in the left panel > Mount EFI at the bottom > choose correct drive (YosemiteHD) when asked. And how to open/save (import/export) config.plist.

8.7 YosemiteHD EFI Partition > EFI Folder >> I would suggest to write absolute paths. like /System/Volumes/EFI/EFi/ (can't check for the correct path right now.)

8.x One step in the install process should be to randomize the SMBios again right? I mean otherwise everyone will have the same IDs (maybe I'm wrong about that)

10 Please describe BOTH methods. Because Method 1 didn't work for me (again). And to try Method 2, I'm pretty sure I had to delete HDAEnabler1.kext again.

10 In the /Optiplex 780 Clover folder is a file called ReadMe Clover Folder.rtf which has an own set of instructions that is contradicts your tutorial a little. You are supposed to install FakeSMC.kext even though its already in the /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder.

10.2 (there's a comma) Non-injection folder >> what is the Non-injection folder?? Needs clarification!

11 MOST IMPORTANT: there was no Ethernet folder and no Intel82566MM.kext and no AppleIntelE100.kext (>> typo: AppleIntelE1000.kext) >> had to reboot into old system to get the correct files which could be a show stopper for a first timer.

Thanks for the updated guide I appreciate it! :)

@MacWiesel

I think we got most of those corrected now.

There is a folder in the zip file for AppleHDA Sound, and a readme explaining how to install for injection or non-injection method.

The Ethernet Kexts have been added to the 760-780 Clover zip. (they were left out somewhere when editing 760-780 zip file)

Some of the typo's you pointed out were corrected or clarified.

Added pics in Clover Settings to include Bootcamp, & Clover Preference Pane

Using Clover Configurator to create Custom SMBIOS with Random Serial Number, was added.

Mounting EFI Partition with Clover Configurator was not added, because after install of Clover to YosemiteHD, EFI partition will already be mounted...

if mounting of EFI is needed later, User will hopefully be able to figure it out. Newer Versions of Clover Configurator always tell you if EFI is not mounted.

Absolute Paths for Clover Folder, or Clover Config were not added at this point, trying to keep things simple for Newbs, I think advanced users will know what EFI>>EFI>>Clover means, 

we could still change it to absolute Paths, but not sure if it is really needed

Added Pictures and Captions to Simplify For Newbies/First-Time Clover Users

Cleaned up Step 5

Cleaned up Step 6

Thanks for the input. :)

• Like 1

I do not have a clue. I think you said your box was a 755? Maybe the sound chip is different?

Anyways, seems like something in the hardware.

Yes i have a 755.

I install all good with the files in this thread,but not apple sound