Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - how to deactivate?

VirusX

215 posts in this topic

Do you mean that with 10.10.3 you no longer need to bother with Discoveryd waking up system every 2 hours? If so, it's so sad that mine still does.

yeah, actually, this problem was fixed in 10.10.2. Since then, discoveryd is letting the system sleep just fine for a lot of users. Do you have mDNSResponder deactivated?

Just to clean up the mess with the 2 hour wake up issue:

There is a use case where a 2 hour wake up issue is normal and intended: 

A 2 hour wake up process is totally fine if you have activated the „wake for network access“ feature in System Settings. This 2 hour wake up procedure has been introduced by Apple in 10.6 Snow Leopard and is the result of the so called „bonjour sleep proxy“. Every 2 hours your mac wakes up (in dark mode = no screen) and advertises its IP address. Once you have unchecked „wake for network access“ there should be no more 2 hour wake ups at all. That was the case until 10.10.0 has been released. There was a bug that woke up most machines even if „wake for network access“ was not checked. This bug seems to be fixed by now (10.10.2/ 10.10.3). So if you still have those 2 hour wake ups although you did not activate „wake for network“ than this is quite unusual.

What i am looking for though is a solid way to have „wake for network access“ enabled but still have no 2 hour wake up procedure. That was possible with every release prior to 10.6 Snow Leopard. The only way to wake a machine back then was by using a so called magic packet instead of simply opening the finder on another mac and navigate to the remote mac. Right now i am on 10.10.3 and have mDNSresponder running (the solution advertised in this thread). This works perfectly fine and finally my mac sleeps through the night/day and is perfectly wakeable by a magic packet. Then again i am a little worried as it is not intended to run mDNSresponder anymore as it has been replaced by discoveryd. So if anyone has a good idea on how to modify discoveryd the way that the bonjour sleep proxy gets disabled i would be very happy :)

yeah, actually, this problem was fixed in 10.10.2. Since then, discoveryd is letting the system sleep just fine for a lot of users. Do you have mDNSResponder deactivated?

Thanks for you feedback. I recently bought the 2015 MBPr and it kept waking itself up along the night ( by checking the log ). To be honest, I was kind of shocked the moment I read your post. Was it fixed in 10.10.2, I said it to myself. I have seen wake reason for RTC since I got the machine. What's worse, upgrading to 10.10.3 doesn't fix it either. So I am quite upset here. :(

Just to clean up the mess with the 2 hour wake up issue:

There is a use case where a 2 hour wake up issue is normal and intended: 

A 2 hour wake up process is totally fine if you have activated the „wake for network access“ feature in System Settings. This 2 hour wake up procedure has been introduced by Apple in 10.6 Snow Leopard and is the result of the so called „bonjour sleep proxy“. Every 2 hours your mac wakes up (in dark mode = no screen) and advertises its IP address. Once you have unchecked „wake for network access“ there should be no more 2 hour wake ups at all. That was the case until 10.10.0 has been released. There was a bug that woke up most machines even if „wake for network access“ was not checked. This bug seems to be fixed by now (10.10.2/ 10.10.3). So if you still have those 2 hour wake ups although you did not activate „wake for network“ than this is quite unusual.

What i am looking for though is a solid way to have „wake for network access“ enabled but still have no 2 hour wake up procedure. That was possible with every release prior to 10.6 Snow Leopard. The only way to wake a machine back then was by using a so called magic packet instead of simply opening the finder on another mac and navigate to the remote mac. Right now i am on 10.10.3 and have mDNSresponder running (the solution advertised in this thread). This works perfectly fine and finally my mac sleeps through the night/day and is perfectly wakeable by a magic packet. Then again i am a little worried as it is not intended to run mDNSresponder anymore as it has been replaced by discoveryd. So if anyone has a good idea on how to modify discoveryd the way that the bonjour sleep proxy gets disabled i would be very happy :)

Thanks for your clarification. I'm THE out of luck person who still suffers this nightmare. :(  

Thanks for you feedback. I recently bought the 2015 MBPr and it kept waking itself up along the night ( by checking the log ). To be honest, I was kind of shocked the moment I read your post. Was it fixed in 10.10.2, I said it to myself. I have seen wake reason for RTC since I got the machine. What's worse, upgrading to 10.10.3 doesn't fix it either. So I am quite upset here. :(

that's a bummer that you suffer from this problem even with a real MBPr. You are sure that this is the RTC alarm wake up and not the power nap feature? I'm afraid I can't help you further here since for my hack it works now...

Maybe consider contacting Apple for help/support since you have a brand new machine...?

if you not need, try disable bonjour Multicast, this can solve the problem

attachicon.gifDisableBonjour.zip

disabling bonjour/multicast could cause other services like AirDrop/Airplay/etc to stop working afaik. So this 'solution' might not work for people who need those services.

that's a bummer that you suffer from this problem even with a real MBPr. You are sure that this is the RTC alarm wake up and not the power nap feature? I'm afraid I can't help you further here since for my hack it works now...

Maybe consider contacting Apple for help/support since you have a brand new machine...?

disabling bonjour/multicast could cause other services like AirDrop/Airplay/etc to stop working afaik. So this 'solution' might not work for people who need those services.

Maybe I would test a little bit longer. I've seen lots of wake reasons for "ARPT network". What surprises me is that I've turned off every possible wake up option in settings. Bummer and it's  A real one.

• 1 month later...

News about the mDNSResponder / discoveryd:

Apple Replaces Problematic 'Discoveryd' Process With mDNSresponder in 10.10.4 Beta 4

In today's fourth OS X 10.10.4 beta, Apple made a significant behind-the-scenes change that could result in improved networking performance for some users -- the removal of the "discoveryd" process. As noted by MacRumors forum members and 9to5Mac, in OS X 10.10.4 beta 4, the discoveryd process has been replaced by mDNSresponder. 

Since OS X Yosemite debuted in October, there have been ongoing complaints about discoveryd consuming CPU resources, draining battery life, and causing issues with Wi-Fi. These problems have lingered for several months, even after multiple bug fixes and performance improvements included in OS X 10.10.1, 10.10.2, and 10.10.3. 

discoverydmdnsresponder.jpg
Discoveryd was introduced with OS X Yosemite, replacing mDNSResponder for managing Mac networking tasks, but it's led to a host of problems like those listed above along with issues like slow wake from sleep, failures to resolve DNS names, duplicate machine names, and more, as detailed in a post earlier this year by Ars Technica. Several developers have also complained about discoveryd in Yosemite, including Instapaper's Marco Arment and Iconfactory's Craig Hockenberry.

It's no secret in the tech community that discoveryd is the root cause of so many problems. There are even 
. With so many issues, you'd expect some information from Apple explaining ways to mitigate the problems.

The removal of the unstable discoveryd process in OS X 10.10.4 beta 4 may improve network stability problems for many users who have been experiencing continual issues. With the removal of discoveryd, Apple has reverted back to using the earlier mDNSresponder process that was used before discoveryd was implemented with OS X Yosemite.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/26/apple-discoveryd-replaced-with-mdnsresponder/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

anyone upgraded to 10.10.4?

i remember followed the workaround here before but then after upgrading to 10.10.4 the machine cannot connect to the internet anymore.

I can ping to 8.8.8.8 but browsing to google.com doesn't work.

I noticed mDNSResponder binary files now are different.

I would appreciate any good samaritan to share the following files 10.10.4 version, because I think the one I have in Library/LaunchDaemons are the old ones.

com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist 

thanks.

anyone upgraded to 10.10.4?

i remember followed the workaround here before but then after upgrading to 10.10.4 the machine cannot connect to the internet anymore.

I can ping to 8.8.8.8 but browsing to google.com doesn't work.

I noticed mDNSResponder binary files now are different.

I would appreciate any good samaritan to share the following files 10.10.4 version, because I think the one I have in Library/LaunchDaemons are the old ones.

com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist 

thanks.

unnecessary. the installer automagically overwrites any existing files that conflict with the new ones.

what you need to do is delete the copies of these plists in /Library/LaunchDaemons

EDIT: for clarification the new files are located in /S/L/LaunchDaemons so the copy in /Library/LaunchDaemons is interfering with it.

• Like 1

Nice to see mDNSResponder coming back :)

Anyone knows if we still need the -DisableSleepProxyClient option to prevent the wake every two hours?

To be honest, after upgrading to 10.10.4, the two hour RTC wake up is back as well. :(

Even with "-DisableSleepProxyClient" in the mDNSResponder plist?

Nope, haven't re-implemented the method. Will have a try.

May someone be so kind and explain a short step by step tutorial on how to upgrade from 10.10.3 with "our" method applied to 10.10.4 without losing internet access etc and add the ""-DisableSleepProxyClient" command later on to prevent the mac from waking up? :)

@noreason4 10.10.4 already has the mDNSResponder added back in there so all you need to do is add the following to the plist so that section looks like the code below and then repair file permissions...

<array>
		<string>/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder</string>
		<string>-DisableSleepProxyClient</string>
	</array>

• 2 weeks later...

Like TheCandle said, all I needed to do was "delete the copies of these plists in /Library/LaunchDaemons."

Open Finder -> from the "Go" file menu select "Go to Folder" -> enter "/Library/LaunchDaemons" -> remove "com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist" and "com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist" -> reboot

After removing the files, my internet started working on my Yosemite 10.10.4 system.  I did not modify any plists or update permissions on any files.

Just to chime in...

I was having an issue with my Hack waking up every 110 minutes with an RTC alarm reason. 

I tried a few things, messing darkwake etc - no change.  

I added the disablesleepproxy line to the mDNS file and it has slept for days without waking once. 

I am running a Z97x Gigabyte Gaming 5 system and have been having issues with spontaneous reboots following sleep. I was directed to this thread by users on other forums who indicated that the fix described here solved this problem. I've read over the entire thread and am trying to understand exactly what is required now that Yosemite has supposedly fixed this issue by reverting back to mdnsresponder. 

I have updated to 10.10.4 and am still experiencing the random reboots. Should I just try adding the disablesleepproxy to the mDNS file? If so, will this kill my internet? 

Any responses will be greatly appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am running a Z97x Gigabyte Gaming 5 system and have been having issues with spontaneous reboots following sleep.

Same here, with two Gigabyte systems, under Clover (Z97x-SLI and an H97m-DH3). I've been trying to troubleshoot this for months, because it usually takes a few days' worth of sleep/wake to check.

No, 10.10.4 did not fix the issue, and I've been through all sorts of troubleshooting steps, everytime a similar post appeared in the forums [ALC audio, UEFI boot, Nvidia GPU freeze, and so on]. SMBIOS 14,2.

I'll keep you posted.

[currently, I'm checking the following configuration: fresh Clover install, BIOS - enable internal graphics, but don't use them].