Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - how to deactivate?

VirusX

215 posts in this topic

You should search this forum about that problem... And maybe post in the according subforum since this is not directly related to the problem discussed here...

I think that could be related to any usb devices/hubs you have connected?

Also, put your hardware specs in your config please so that we can help you better. Good luck

Good point, I updated I signature with my specs. Ya I apologize for the miscategorized post. Originally this was the wake reason I had a few weeks ago where it would go to sleep and wake every few hours, but it seems something has changed now to where it doesnt sleep at all. it sleeps and then wakes up right away. I will try to find a thread for the current I'm facing. Thanks for the help :)

Update: I'm pretty sure the Corsair Link usb cord from my liquid cooler is causing the XHC issue where it wont sleep. I will unplug that when i get home and then try to sleep. Then i will try the solution provided for the waking up every 2 hours due to RTC alarm. Then i need to fix my issue of having no sound after wake from sleep as well, which I'm looking at other forums to figure out. Hopefully after ALL that I can have a normal sleeping hackintosh. Wish me luck! :)

Good point, I updated I signature with my specs. Ya I apologize for the miscategorized post. Originally this was the wake reason I had a few weeks ago where it would go to sleep and wake every few hours, but it seems something has changed now to where it doesnt sleep at all. it sleeps and then wakes up right away. I will try to find a thread for the current I'm facing. Thanks for the help :)

Update: I'm pretty sure the Corsair Link usb cord from my liquid cooler is causing the XHC issue where it wont sleep. I will unplug that when i get home and then try to sleep. Then i will try the solution provided for the waking up every 2 hours due to RTC alarm. Then i need to fix my issue of having no sound after wake from sleep as well, which I'm looking at other forums to figure out. Hopefully after ALL that I can have a normal sleeping hackintosh. Wish me luck! :)

off topic. But a note to the problem of sound loss after sleep issue - google codeccommander

off topic. But a note to the problem of sound loss after sleep issue - google codeccommander

I actually found a thread that mentioned just to install Realtek Audio drivers using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.1.0 and then rebooting and it worked perfectly! So now I have the no sleep issue solved and the no audio after wake issue solved. I'm going to put the computer to sleep tonight while I'm in bed and then I'll see if the RTC alarm goes off and wakes it up again every 2 hours like it used to a few weeks ago. If it does then I'll do the fix suggested in this thread. Can't wait to have a fully functioning sleeping Hackintosh :)

• Like 1

Ok, so i slept the computer last night and it went to sleep just fine. Afew hours later I did hear it turn on and then turn off again as expected with the RTC alarm issue. But when I woke up later I noticed that the computer was on. So I hit a key on the keyboard I noticed that it logged my account off, instead of normally how it would just be on the lockscreen. So I had to log in again and have my desktop load up, as if the computer had turned off at some point. I also checked the wake reason in terminal and it doesnt show any record of the sleep/wake in there at all. Only showed one from two days ago. Very strange. Any ideas?

This RTC wake problem every two hour is fixed in 10.10.2? Finally! 

That is bittersweet. I'm happy to hear its fixed, but I cant update since I use a GTX 980 graphics card and need the custom nvidia graphics drivers, which aren't compatible with 10.10.2 yet :/

Update: Nvm, they updated the nvidia graphics too! Perfect sleep, here I come!

Edited by akhalil

this issue is fixed in yosemite 10.10.2 :)

is it? I haven't installed 10.10.2 yet... so should I unload the mDNSresponder first and activate discoveryd first before I update? Or just install the update over our fix and unload mDNSresponder?

edit: I just did exactly that: Unload the mDNSresponder first and load discoveryd first before I updated to 10.10.2. Installation went fine, no DNS errors after restart. Now I will have to check the sleep tonight :)

edit: slept fine tonight. awesome! But I didn't have internet after I woke my computer up this morning. Had to unplug and plug my ethernet cable again. I don't know yet if it is related to discoveryd or my router though. I'll check in the next few days..

I can also confirm sleep is working properly. No more every two hour wake!  I just got to my system, woke it up, check for wake on console, nothing since last night when I put the system to sleep until this moment.

post-564408-0-38929400-1422555455_thumb.png

• Like 3

I cannot confirm this new behavior. Both my hack and my iMac still wake up due to the RTC Alarm. Strangely, my hack didn't do so last night, but resumed doing it today, whereas my iMac has continuously been doing it over the course of last night. So looks like discoveryd is still not working flawlessly.

I cannot confirm this new behavior. Both my hack and my iMac still wake up due to the RTC Alarm. Strangely, my hack didn't do so last night, but resumed doing it today, whereas my iMac has continuously been doing it over the course of last night. So looks like discoveryd is still not working flawlessly.

did you remove dnsresponder patch like VirusX did? 

I did not remove any patch, but I also hadn't tinkered with discoveryd before yet. I meant to, because all the other problems that discoveryd has (constant host name changing, spamming the log, etc) were annoying me. When I found this thread, I was happy to see that I can eliminate this stupid constant waking with it, too. However, when 10.10.2 came out, I thought I may wait another day and see if it fixed it, since I assumed Apple would try to patch at least some of discoveryd's bugs. 

Alas, it didn't help here. I have now used the sleep watcher method on my hack and it seems to work fine. I will monitor it on my iMac a little more. Here's what it did last night (pmset log):

2015-01-30 00:56:56 +0100 DarkWake            	DarkWake [CDN] due to RTC/Maintenance: Using AC                            	45 secs   
2015-01-30 02:45:46 +0100 DarkWake            	DarkWake [CDN] due to RTC/Maintenance: Using AC                            	45 secs   
2015-01-30 04:34:36 +0100 DarkWake            	DarkWake [CDN] due to RTC/Maintenance: Using AC                            	46 secs   
2015-01-30 06:23:27 +0100 DarkWake            	DarkWake [CDN] due to RTC/Maintenance: Using AC                            	45 secs   
2015-01-30 08:12:27 +0100 DarkWake            	DarkWake [CDN] due to RTC/Maintenance: Using AC                            	45 secs   

So, the 2-hourly wake seems to be fixed since 10.10.2
Can anyone test if Wake-on-Lan is still possible?

I need Wake-On-Lan but don't want that 2 hourly wake. If it doesn't work i need to stay at Mavericks.

How is the behaviour when "wake for administrative Network access" is activated? We have the 2 hourly wake back again?

So, the 2-hourly wake seems to be fixed since 10.10.2

Can anyone test if Wake-on-Lan is still possible?

I need Wake-On-Lan but don't want that 2 hourly wake. If it doesn't work i need to stay at Mavericks.

How is the behaviour when "wake for administrative Network access" is activated? We have the 2 hourly wake back again?

Yesterday I enabled "wake for ethernet network access" and my computer slept all night without waking up every 2 hours.  I'm using discoveryd on 10.10.2

• 2 weeks later...

I used the instruction by mnfesq. But since Yosemite 10.10.2 has been released I'd like to revert to previous settings. What commands should I run in Terminal?

Update. I deleted mDNSResponder and mDNSResponderHelper in usr/sbin, then I ran sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist in Terminal and rebooted. That's all. Everything works fine, Internet sharing via Wi-Fi enabled and iMac didn't wake up this night!

18/02/15 00:11:15,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
18/02/15 00:11:33,000 kernel[0]: ARPT: 35239.811737: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
18/02/15 02:00:20,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
18/02/15 02:00:38,000 kernel[0]: ARPT: 35305.826871: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
18/02/15 03:49:25,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
18/02/15 03:49:43,000 kernel[0]: ARPT: 35371.866373: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
18/02/15 03:50:31,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
18/02/15 05:38:48,000 kernel[0]: ARPT: 35437.948544: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
18/02/15 07:27:35,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
18/02/15 07:27:53,000 kernel[0]: ARPT: 35503.983683: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
18/02/15 09:16:40,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
18/02/15 09:16:58,000 kernel[0]: ARPT: 35569.967962: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
18/02/15 09:16:59,074 ntpd[240]: wake time set +0.137092 s
18/02/15 10:25:10,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: USB0
18/02/15 10:25:10,000 kernel[0]: The USB device BCM20702A0 (Port 1 of Hub at 0x1d000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)
18/02/15 10:25:17,000 kernel[0]: full wake promotion (reason 1) 7950 ms

well, shiiit.... my computer woke up all the time last night.

Things I have changed recently: put in a new wifi/bluetooth card and activated 'wake for network access' in energy saver settings. Have to find out what the culprit is. I turned off wake for network access already and will report back in a few days since my wifi/bluetooth card does not work as I want yet..

edit: arstechnica suggests to use 'our' workaround to solve DNS problems with discoveryd by reactivating mDNSresponder ;) 

• 1 month later...

The instructions link is no longer active...

I'm trying to piece the fix together like a puzzle but I can't seem to make clear sense of the step by step process.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@McPants: I attached the mDNSResponder files with the Instructions again.

@noreason4: I'm on 10.10.3. Sleep works for me with discoveryd (not using our trick with mDNSResponder) but I had to turn off "wake for network access" to get it to work properly. Since I don't need that I'm fine with my current solution :)

mDNSResponder with Instructions.zip

• Like 1

Hey Virus! Thanks for the reply.. didn't even notice that you are from germany until recently ;) I actually do rely on that "wake for network access" option as i have 2 minis in 2 different cities that are standing near my beds. I don't want them to wake up every 2 hours but would love to still be able to wake them up remotely ;) I installed 10.10.3 shortly after the release and the mdnsresponder-fix seems to be working well on both of my machines :)

• Like 1

@McPants: I attached the mDNSResponder files with the Instructions again.

@noreason4: I'm on 10.10.3. Sleep works for me with discoveryd (not using our trick with mDNSResponder) but I had to turn off "wake for network access" to get it to work properly. Since I don't need that I'm fine with my current solution :)

Do you mean that with 10.10.3 you no longer need to bother with Discoveryd waking up system every 2 hours? If so, it's so sad that mine still does.