Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - how to deactivate?

VirusX

215 posts in this topic

I've disabled discoveryd and been using mavericks mdns files since beta 3.  I haven't had any problems with losing internet.  Updating from beta to beta has been flawless too.  I don't have to do anything after an update.

I've disabled discoveryd and been using mavericks mdns files since beta 3. I haven't had any problems with losing internet. Updating from beta to beta has been flawless too. I don't have to do anything after an update.

Can you share those files? Mine works but I have to fix it after every update.

Can you share those files? Mine works but I have to fix it after every update.

I posted them in an earlier post.  Those are the exact ones I am using.  Don't disable discoveryd by editing the plist. If there is a new plist in an update then it will revert to enabled again.  Instead do:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist

did anyone try setting this to NO instead of disable to whole discoveryd ?

Bildschirmfoto%202014-10-15%20um%2021.51

Doing that will break your internet. You need DNS proxy. Sleep proxy client is what you want to disable but there isn't an option with discoveryd.
  • Like 1

That only works with mdnsresponder and not disoveryd. I've tried it.

Yep. You're right. This is quite annoying. Hope Clover would offer us a simple click for such patch just like they do with the mDNS*** stuff.

Yep. You're right. This is quite annoying. Hope Clover would offer us a simple click for such patch just like they do with the mDNS*** stuff.

All the clover script does is use plistbuddy to append "-DisableSleepProxyClient" to the program arguments of the mdns plist.  As far as I know there is no such option for discoveryd.  I think for now the only workaround is to disable discoveryd and use the mdnsresponder files from mavericks (or even yosemite public beta 2).  I've been using mdnsresponder from mavericks since beta 3 and so far haven't seen any problems.

I'm on final yosemite now and have server installed; mdnsresponder is still working as it should and discoveryd is still disable.  When I installed yosemite final over top of pb6 I lost mdnsresponder and had to recopy it.  Going from beta to beta wasn't an issue though.  

Thanks mcdougal33.

Ive had this problem for quite sometime now and was driving me crazy!

I just couldn't figure it out. I tried it on a previous install but I now (in hindsight) suspect clover was also corrupt. A fresh install of Yosemite and Clover and followed your instructions and my mac has slept like a baby for the first time in over a month.

Should be interesting going forward how this will handle updates. I know you said beta to beta was fine, lets hope nothing changes from official releases here on in.

On a sidde note, why would Apple make this change. Why break something if it was working fine?

All the clover script does is use plistbuddy to append "-DisableSleepProxyClient" to the program arguments of the mdns plist.  As far as I know there is no such option for discoveryd.  I think for now the only workaround is to disable discoveryd and use the mdnsresponder files from mavericks (or even yosemite public beta 2).  I've been using mdnsresponder from mavericks since beta 3 and so far haven't seen any problems.

I'm on final yosemite now and have server installed; mdnsresponder is still working as it should and discoveryd is still disable.  When I installed yosemite final over top of pb6 I lost mdnsresponder and had to recopy it.  Going from beta to beta wasn't an issue though.  

Thanks for your explanation. After implementing your method, my hack now acts like a sleeping beauty. LOL

• Like 1

My laptop was waking up every two hours like everyone else's here so I used the mdnsresponder files and launch daemons that I downloaded from this thread (post 33), unloaded and then reloaded the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files and it worked well. I got my internet back on and no longer have the laptop waking up on its own. Thanks mcdougal33.

However, I was unable to upgrade to Yosemite so I downloaded the full 5 GB installer and installed the final version of 10.10 and, with a few quirks in the installation process, it installed correctly.  But I had no internet.  I couldn't remember where the mdnsresponder files go (usr/sbin) and I couldn't remember the terminal commands for unloading and reloading the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files. (Fortunately, I had done it fairly recently so I could use my up arrow in terminal to find them and rerun them.)  But it occurred to me that there should be instructions with the files to explain how to install them so that someone who needs that information and finds that they can't access the internet can get it.  I took the liberty to put one together and add it to the mdnsresponder files that mcdougal33 uploaded in post 33 of this thread.

mDNSResponder with Instructions.zip

EDIT - The instructions have been modified to conform to the comments regarding the original instructions below.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 7

My laptop was waking up every two hours like everyone else's here so I used the mdnsresponder files and launch daemons that I downloaded from this thread (post 33), unloaded and then reloaded the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files and it worked well. I got my internet back on and no longer have the laptop waking up on its own. Thanks mcdougal33.

However, I was unable to upgrade to Yosemite so I downloaded the full 5 GB installer and installed the final version of 10.10 and, with a few quirks in the installation process, it installed correctly.  But I had no internet.  I couldn't remember where the mdnsresponder files go (usr/sbin) and I couldn't remember the terminal commands for unloading and reloading the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files. (Fortunately, I had done it fairly recently so I could use my up arrow in terminal to find them and rerun them.)  But it occurred to me that there should be instructions with the files to explain how to install them so that someone who needs that information and finds that they can't access the internet can get it.  I took the liberty to put one together and add it to the mdnsresponder files that mcdougal33 uploaded in post 33 of this thread.

attachicon.gifmDNSResponder with Instructions.zip

Good idea for instructions!!

I went through it to see if the average user understands it but I suspect you accidentally created the wrong instructions.

If you have the time, I urge you to also put in the chown to set permissions properly as per mcdougal33's instructions. You also need to unload the discoveryd files first, not the new files.

Would there be any benefit in using the mDNSResponder binaries used (Created for?) in Yosemite DP6 (The last DP they appeared in) versus the ones taken from Mavericks 10.9.5?

Take a look at them and see if there is a difference, if there is can you please out them up.

Good idea for instructions!!

I went through it to see if the average user understands it but I suspect you accidentally created the wrong instructions.

If you have the time, I urge you to also put in the chown to set permissions properly as per mcdougal33's instructions. You also need to unload the discoveryd files first, not the new files.

Take a look at them and see if there is a difference, if there is can you please out them up.

Indeed, I think it's not needed to unload those mDNS plist files first since they don't exist for people who never mess around with this issue. mcdougal33 post them because someone lost Internet availability after trying those files out. So if you never mess with this, just unload discoveryd and load mDNS. That's it. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the instructions.

My computer waking up every two hours at night was driving me crazy, but fortunately I had a Time Machine backup from which I restored the mDNSResponder files and then added the disable switch to the .plist.

• Like 1

Doing that disables bonjour completely.  That means your mac won't be able to discover other shared computers on the network.

Thats an security feature/advantage isn't it? ;-)

Who needs computer sharing on a Mac finally? I got my net shares for that.

But o'well. You can still reach every ressource by it's IP adress/Hostname its just that auto discovery missing like mentioned in the blog post.

Thats an security feature/advantage ;-)

Who needs computer sharing on a Mac finally? I got my net shares for that

Oops. So real Mac would also have this issue? When mac wakes up, will the display be lit?

I finally got around to do a fresh install of yosemite and applied the old mDNSResponder as described here before and my computer slept well last night.

Thanks all of you for the testing :) I highlighted mnfesq's instructions as a solution because I think this is the best way for newbies who encounter this problem as well.

I finally got around to do a fresh install of yosemite and applied the old mDNSResponder as described here before and my computer slept well last night.

Thanks all of you for the testing :) I highlighted mnfesq's instructions as a solution because I think this is the best way for newbies who encounter this problem as well.

I gave credit in the instructions to mcdougal33 and p.H.  Those guys, particularly mcdougal33, solved this issue.  Thanks guys.

• Like 2