Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - how to deactivate?

VirusX

215 posts in this topic

This looks like a good idea.  The only thing I would try differently is to use launchctl stop and start instead of load and unload. 

EDIT: It now works. I changed the configuration in the original post to reflect this.

To check that it is working:

pmset -g log | grep DarkWake

Edited by tseug

EDIT: It now works. I changed the configuration in the original post to reflect this.

To check that it is working:

pmset -g log | grep DarkWake

That's exactly the way I set up sleepwatcher too.  Works for me as well.

Are you really sure that "-s /etc/rc.wakeup" and "-w /etc/rc.sleep" should be right ?

-s is for sleep command , therefore it should be rc.sleep ?

Maybe you must alter your original post , again ;-) ?

Regards,

Markus

Are you really sure that "-s /etc/rc.wakeup" and "-w /etc/rc.sleep" should be right ?

-s is for sleep command , therefore it should be rc.sleep ?

Maybe you must alter your original post , again ;-) ?

Regards,

Markus

You're absolutely right. Yet another edit. Thanks :)

By the way, wake on LAN does not need to be disabled for this configuration to work.

Other than checking the log for wake events is there a way to check discoveryd was disabled and re-enabled?

Well, you obviously can't check if discoveryd is unloaded during sleep directly, but you can check that it is loaded (the sudo is very important here so make sure to remember it):

sudo launchctl list | grep com.apple.networking.discoveryd

This should return something. Otherwise discoveryd is not loaded.

Another thing you can try before adding /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher.plist is to check and see if your rc scripts work. I.e

/usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher -V -s /etc/rc.sleep in a terminal and then try to sleep or

/usr/local/sbin/sleepwatcher -V -s /etc/rc.sleep -w /etc/rc.wakeup and then try to sleep

In both these cases the terminal window will not report anything until you actually wake up from sleep again, and you have to initiate sleep manually (or wait until automatic sleep). Enter CTRL+C to stop SleepWatcher  after testing.

Refer to the SleepWatcher documentation for more details.

• Like 1

I just switched back to msdnsresponder.  The sleepwatcher method sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  For 2 mornings in a row my computer has been turned on instead of sleeping. The first night it did work as it should.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the method above is not just fixing the sleep issue.. It also disables the RTC Alarm Clock for when you have "Wake on Lan" enabled. This is superb as from now on all macs can sleep until someone sends a magic packet to wake them up. Hopefully someone capable will write an instruction on how to disable the RTC Alarm Clock even if 10.10.1 fixes the sleep issue. I gave up on the Wake on Lan Function since the release of Snow Leopard (which introduced this damn RTC Alarm/Bonjour Sleep Proxy {censored}). Having found this method a couple of weeks ago filled me with pure joy as it once again made my setup from a few years ago working flawlessly. I don't want do miss the luxury of sleeping macs while having wake on lan enabled.. 

My laptop was waking up every two hours like everyone else's here so I used the mdnsresponder files and launch daemons that I downloaded from this thread (post 33), unloaded and then reloaded the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files and it worked well. I got my internet back on and no longer have the laptop waking up on its own. Thanks mcdougal33.

However, I was unable to upgrade to Yosemite so I downloaded the full 5 GB installer and installed the final version of 10.10 and, with a few quirks in the installation process, it installed correctly.  But I had no internet.  I couldn't remember where the mdnsresponder files go (usr/sbin) and I couldn't remember the terminal commands for unloading and reloading the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files. (Fortunately, I had done it fairly recently so I could use my up arrow in terminal to find them and rerun them.)  But it occurred to me that there should be instructions with the files to explain how to install them so that someone who needs that information and finds that they can't access the internet can get it.  I took the liberty to put one together and add it to the mdnsresponder files that mcdougal33 uploaded in post 33 of this thread.

attachicon.gifmDNSResponder with Instructions.zip

EDIT - The instructions have been modified to conform to the comments regarding the original instructions below.

Is this fix safe to use on a hackintosh running Yosemite?

I have the sleep/reboot problem. Is this a fix for that?

Just being cautious....don't want to mess anything up since the comp is running fine except for the sleep/reboot issue.

Thanks

Len

Is this fix safe to use on a hackintosh running Yosemite?

I have the sleep/reboot problem. Is this a fix for that?

Just being cautious....don't want to mess anything up since the comp is running fine except for the sleep/reboot issue.

Thanks

Len

If your hack would wake itself up every two hours, this is the right cure for that problem. :D