Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - how to deactivate?

VirusX

215 posts in this topic

How do I copy the helper files to usr/sbin?   Sorry.....new to this but can follow directions :)

Thanks!

Len

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300072-wake-reason-rtc-alarm-how-to-deactivate/page-4?do=findComment&comment=2071984

download the zip file and unzip it. Then you will see a text file for instructions. I suppose you are good to go from there.

Is this fix safe to use on a hackintosh running Yosemite?

I have the sleep/reboot problem. Is this a fix for that?

yes, we are in the Yosemite subforum, so this works for Yosemite.

Not sure though if that fixes your sleep/reboot system. I think you have another problem, because we here in this thread do not have a problem with sleep and reboot. The problem discussed and solved here is that the computer wakes up every 2 hours and goes back to sleep after half a minute.

yes, we are in the Yosemite subforum, so this works for Yosemite.

Not sure though if that fixes your sleep/reboot system. I think you have another problem, because we here in this thread do not have a problem with sleep and reboot. The problem discussed and solved here is that the computer wakes up every 2 hours and goes back to sleep after half a minute.

Oops. Your hack would sleep in half a minute? Mine would sleep for the schedule time set in Energy saver without implementing the solution. 

Not sure we're talking about the same thing here. As described in my very first post of this thread, the original problem I had was that my computer wakes up every 2 hours (probably checks emails and updates) and then goes automatically back to sleep after ~half a minute. I did not have any schedule set in Energy saver settings.

Mine is still working perfectly. Has anyone been able to identify why we have problems and it isn't universal to all hacks?

Maybe they don't use sleep at all :D

Not sure we're talking about the same thing here. As described in my very first post of this thread, the original problem I had was that my computer wakes up every 2 hours (probably checks emails and updates) and then goes automatically back to sleep after ~half a minute. I did not have any schedule set in Energy saver settings.

Oops. That's quite different from mine. Mine would wake up after two hours the same way as yours. But it would sleep in certain time which I set in Energy Saver. Are you booting with UEFI?

Oops. That's quite different from mine. Mine would wake up after two hours the same way as yours. But it would sleep in certain time which I set in Energy Saver. Are you booting with UEFI?

No, I have an old BIOS motherboard from 2008/9 (see my sig).

The removal of mDNSresponder apparently broke more things. I'm wondering if the apple guys know about it since even people with real macs seem to have problems...

btw: the "patch" with mDNS works nicely after updating to 10.10.1

I have installed GreenOSX Wake Fix, so there is my log now

Nov 27 18:44:08 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 27 20:33:05 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 27 22:52:25 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 00:41:22 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 02:30:20 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 04:19:18 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 06:08:16 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 07:57:14 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 09:46:12 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 11:35:10 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 13:24:08 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 15:13:05 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Nov 28 16:35:18 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: USB1
Nov 28 19:10:24 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: (Network)
Nov 30 00:53:06 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: USB1
Nov 30 13:37:02 *** kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: (Network)
As you see, since Nov 28, there is no anymore wakes with Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

Anyone else having both of the following wake reasons?

Wake reason: EC.SleepTimer (SleepTimer) <-- ~4 hours after sleep

Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

Fixed the Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) issue using the mdnsresponder working and discoveryd disabled solution from mcdougal33, p.H, and mnfesq.

Tried using "sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0" and disabled "wake for network access", but was unable to resolve SleepTimer error.

Setup: 2014 Mac Mini, Yosemite 10.10.1, 27" Thunderbolt display, 3TB 2013 TimeCapsule.

Attempt Solution #1: Brand new Mac Mini running Yosemite 10.10.0 with all user data and settings restored from a 2009 snow leopard mac mini from a 3TB 2013 TimeCapsule.  Within days, mini started waking me up at night.  Installed 10.10.1 and Thunderbolt firmware update for my 27" monitor.  15+ calls to AppleCare resulted in them giving me a new Mac Mini.  

Attempt #2 <2nd brand new Mini>: Restored just user data <no settings, applications, or date/time>.  Installed 10.10.1 and all updates.  Slept fine the first night after just running restore.  Next day loaded 3rd party software and turned on TimeMachine backups.  Within hours I started getting RTC and SleepTimer wake reasons.  That night, the monitor came on at 6:31, checked TimeCapsule last backup was at 6:30.

Attempt #3: Used recovery utility to erase HD and reinstall OS X 10.10.1.  However, recovery did not erase network settings.  After restoring just user data  I once again got RTC and SleepTimer wake errors BEFORE I logged in for the first time. Used the mdnsresponder working and discoveryd disabled to correct RTC issue. Updated "sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0" <default was 1> and disabled "wake for network access."  Still getting SleepTimer errors.

Strongly suspect some issue with my Time Capsule, but erasing the disk did not erase my network settings (retained wireless password, etc).  I tried removing and disabling all network connections/settings, but likely missed a few and still had both RTC and Sleeptimer errors.  Sleep timer mostly aligns with the 14400 second 4-hour autopoweroffdelay, but I assumed switching autopoweroff from 1 to 0 would make the delay irrelevant.

Mac-mini:~  pmset -g

Active Profiles:

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standby              1

Sleep On Power Button 1

womp                 0

autorestart          0

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

darkwakes            0

gpuswitch            2

networkoversleep     0

disksleep            10

sleep                30

autopoweroffdelay    14400

hibernatemode        0

autopoweroff         0

ttyskeepawake        1

displaysleep         30

standbydelay         10800

• 4 weeks later...

I've downloaded and attempted to follow the instructions however I'm not able to get this to work or at least the way I think it should. The binaries reside under /usr/sbin/ with the correct owner and permissions set and the plists reside under /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ with the correct owner and permissions set. I've unloaded and re-loaded the plists as noted in post 33 and later.

I understand there is a BIOS dependency for Wake-On-Lan to work and I beleive I have it set correctly.

mb: Asus Z87-Pro v1 with BIOS v2103 UEFI with Clover r3050

Advanced -> APM ->

ErP Ready  (disabled)

Restore AC Power Loss  (last state)

Power On By PCI-E/PCI  (enabled)

Power On By RTC  (disabled)

System Preferneces -> Energy Saver -> Power Adapter -> [ x ] Wake for network access (enabled)

RJ45 ethernet connection used, not Wi-Fi

I'm using WakeOnLan v1.0 app  to try to wake it when it's powered off or when it's in a sleep state.

Could someone help explain to me what I may be doing wrong? I assume this will fix Wake-On-Lan and to prevent it from waking up every so often then going back to sleep right?

• 4 weeks later...

My laptop was waking up every two hours like everyone else's here so I used the mdnsresponder files and launch daemons that I downloaded from this thread (post 33), unloaded and then reloaded the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files and it worked well. I got my internet back on and no longer have the laptop waking up on its own. Thanks mcdougal33.

However, I was unable to upgrade to Yosemite so I downloaded the full 5 GB installer and installed the final version of 10.10 and, with a few quirks in the installation process, it installed correctly.  But I had no internet.  I couldn't remember where the mdnsresponder files go (usr/sbin) and I couldn't remember the terminal commands for unloading and reloading the mdnsresponder and discoveryd files. (Fortunately, I had done it fairly recently so I could use my up arrow in terminal to find them and rerun them.)  But it occurred to me that there should be instructions with the files to explain how to install them so that someone who needs that information and finds that they can't access the internet can get it.  I took the liberty to put one together and add it to the mdnsresponder files that mcdougal33 uploaded in post 33 of this thread.

attachicon.gifmDNSResponder with Instructions.zip

EDIT - The instructions have been modified to conform to the comments regarding the original instructions below.

For this, where exactly is the usr/bin folder? I'm assuming xCode? Don't want to mess up a perfectly running system with this. 

For this, where exactly is the usr/bin folder? I'm assuming xCode? Don't want to mess up a perfectly running system with this. 

open finder, select "Go" in the menu bar on the top and then select "Go to folder"

type in "/usr/" or "/usr/bin" and hit enter

Those folder are just hidden (you can google some commands to show them permanently if you wish)

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

So i am very eager to go ahead and follow the stickied post to get rid of this annoying wake after sleep issue remedied. I havent put my hackintosh to sleep for months now because of it, which I don't like it being on all the time. So the instructions provided seem simple enough to follow, however I was wondering if there is some sort of guide to undo this modification just in case it causes issues further down the road. Would somebody be able to make a guide on how to reverse this process if necessary? Thanks alot, I enjoyed reading all 8 pages of posts and seeing the progression that was made on this issue, it was techy fun :)

@akhalil, just a quick response since I don't have the time to write a full tutorial:

You can revert the changes by unloading the mDNSresponder files and loading the discoveryd back. 

If you really want to clean up, you can delete the files you put into the usr folders and you should be back to the original state.

Since you are only unloading the discoveryd service and not deleting any files, you cannot really break your install ;)

Good luck!

@akhalil, just a quick response since I don't have the time to write a full tutorial:

You can revert the changes by unloading the mDNSresponder files and loading the discoveryd back. 

If you really want to clean up, you can delete the files you put into the usr folders and you should be back to the original state.

Since you are only unloading the discoveryd service and not deleting any files, you cannot really break your install ;)

Good luck!

Ok great, thanks! So remember how I mentioned I havent put my hacki to sleep in a while? Well I tried yesterday and as soon as it goes to sleep, one second later it instantly turns itself back on and stays on. So for some reason it doesnt want to sleep. I checked the wake reason and it says "XHC: kernel: Wake reason: XHC" Any ideas about that?

You should search this forum about that problem... And maybe post in the according subforum since this is not directly related to the problem discussed here...

I think that could be related to any usb devices/hubs you have connected?

Also, put your hardware specs in your config please so that we can help you better. Good luck