[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

hi thoimis, 

i've mailed Dave recently,

i always knew that the volume buttons were part of the pen digitizer, 

but TouchBase seems to don't care about it, pointing to some useless suggestions on "how to install VoodooHDA to prevent this situation" while we are not even using voodoo anymore.

I personally like the TouchBase driver, and Dave was always helpful,

but these issue alongside, the new version's one (pen do not work on yosemite with 5.X tb driver)

are extremely unpleasant.

i hope they find a fix soon... 

• Like 2

Hey guys n gals,

Long time listener, first time caller. I have a pretty sweet setup going on, working perfectly on 10.9.0 with the touch-base drivers. One thing that bothers me is the fact that the volume buttons no longer work. I know this has been an accepted 'limitation', but I may have stumbled upon something that will help...

If you use the surface pro pen in proximity mode and hover it over the screen (without actually tapping it), and push the volume down button on the side of the surface pro, the right click context menu comes up. To me this means that the driver for the touch base pen is also taking control of the volume buttons, thinking it is part of the pen.

I have read a great deal of the forum, and haven't come across this yet. Is this known, or something we can all talk to Dave about?

TL; DR: volume down button acts as pen "right click" button when pen is in proximity.

Cheers,

Thoimis

Funny Jah, .... He's right, you know whats even funnier :P .... using it as a tablet on its own... i cant use the volume buttons..

Using the volume down with the pen hovering over it like Thoimis suggested. Gives you the right click menu.

Attaching my power cover to my tablet however. Makes it use the volume buttons in the propper way .... volume up works for volume up and volume down works for volume down

Just updated to 10.9.5 and managed to make my system work just as before. Initially I had audio and bluetooth issues.

I think it's high time I learnt how (and why) to patch DSDTs. Can any experienced user point me to the right direction?

Here is a new version. The sources are in the tarball, the kext is in the .zip file. Please delete the old one (/System/Library/Extensions/Avastar.kext) before upgrading!

I've cleaned up the kext, removed the "gibberish" and separated it from the Wlan stuff which may have caused issues. So now the kext is named "AvastarFwLoader.kext". Additionally, the kext should now automatically unload itself once the firmware is uploaded. License is GPLv2 except for Marvell's firmware, which is proprietary but freely redistributable.

On the Wlan side... well, the source tar ball now contains a partially reverse engineered IO80211Controller.h header that is compatible with Mavericks, which is a first step.... I now think that porting the Avastar driver from Linux should be easier than e.g. the Intel Wi-Fi driver, because the Avastar driver doesn't call into the Linux 802.11 stack or anything like that. Still, it's probably a month's work just to get scanning working, and a year or so for a driver that can actually connect to anything. So I'm stopping there, I just don't have that much time.

Hi

I'm trying to get this bluetooth kext to work on Surface Pro 3. I have two questions:

1. What is the best way to get the correct product id for the bluetooth device ? Currently I'm getting different product ids - 8267 (Windows) 8260 (found on Internet) ?

2. For the Surface Pro 2 users - i have a question: is the bluetooth device listened In the System Profiler usb device tree also if the .kext is not loaded or only when a matching kext is loaded ? I'm just not sure, why OS X is not trying to load my kext - so ether my product id is wrong or it is a usb problem (since not shown bei System Profiler)

Many Thanks

gkarg

jape's kext is not working cause the surface pro 3 have a completely different bt chipset you guys need a totally new driver...

Hi

Yes, i know it is a different chipset. Therefore I have already replaced the firmware binary in fw.c with the correct one. As far as i understood the driver is just loading the firmware to activate the bleutooth device - so no chipset specific functonality - the firmware is doing the logic. But more interesting for me is the question, if somebody if the Surface Pro 2 users could check, if the Surface Pro 2 is showing the bluetooth device with vendor / product id In the System Profiler usb device tree, if the avastar firmware .kext is not active ?

Many thanks

Gkarg

I am still on 10.9.2 with my SP2, I am not sure how you guys are on 10.9.4 with the graphical glitches (especially the menubar)...is there a solution for that?

@Munakib,

The solution for me was to go into System Preferences -> Displays -> Color and check the box "Show profiles for this display only", then select sRGB IE61966-2.1

• Like 1