[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

I have a hard time believing someone who lived/worked in palo alto then moved to shenzhen - that your sole computer is a surface pro, you apparently live in electronics central and cant upgrade to a MBP? You had bricked your adapter twice and had to reorder them waiting forever, if I were you, I would have gone and bought a refurb mac-air immediately, there is an official applestore 30 mins away across to HK. 

Thanks Eldabbagh, hope you get everything to work soon :) I only have usb pull out issues with my trendnet wifi adapter (sp2 crashes and restarts), didnt have it with my previous generic adapter so I make sure to take it out after a shutdown.

• Like 1

In all honesty...  The guide needs a revamp.  It really does.  

Part of my job is to create tutorials for the most non savvy users out there.  In my opinion, the packs of software files should be recompiled so that either they are 1 complete pack that you download to match the specific version of Surface Pro that you try to install OS X on, each placed in folders that are numbered to match the steps or, at each step in the guide, a link to download the specific file you require when it is actually required.  For example, there was a file in the v 3 pack that was included and when reading the instructions it seemed like it needed to be used but, it did not, hence why people were repeatedly getting the bluetooth error on boot.  And no offence, the term "reread the thread" helps nobody.  In fact, it comes of sounding a bit douchey no matter who says it because, I have personally read this thread completely about 10 times now and waking up with 30 or so new emails for this thread alone this morning, that term is really no longer a viable option to "help" someone.  Many people jumped on board with this project because they watched Jah's video.  I know I did.  I'm not bitter about Wifi not working.  I tried to get bluetooth working with the kext that was posted but, so far I am having no luck.  I am still having issues with the touch calibration.  I still have hope and appreciate everyone's efforts.  I feel bad for anyone who tried this and somehow ended up with a bricked surface.  The best that anyone could do is update the guide.  It really needs to be written so anyone's grandparents who couldn't operate a VCR could perform it.  You are dealing with all levels of expertise here.  I've been using macs for 20 years and have supported them as a career for about 15 of those years and even I had to attempt this guide about 6 times to get where I am now.  Also, a Youtube video of the entire process would also help.  I mentioned it before but, if someone shared their fully successful image somewhere , that would be amazing but, I do understand the legalities of licensing and using this forum definitely pose conflicting interests.  

Jah, bottom line is, you are not required to do anything but, a complete revamp of the guide and packaging of the files required would help but, completely to your discretion as to whether you want to create one or not.  I would kindly offer my help but, not having admin access to the forum or even having my surface pro functioning 100% to the level of what yours is, I might not be the best candidate.  Where I could help is testing, screen capturing, proof reading, compiling, etc... but, I think in order to do so, I should have my surface performing as well as yours first.  Regardless, I do appreciate the efforts you have offered the group so far.

To everyone else, in my experience, any attempt at a Hackintosh of any sort is a crapshoot.  Jah did a pretty good job in my opinion.  He initially showed what was possible and he was forthcoming with what was not working.  He is not required to do anything for us.  This is a very try at your own risk operation.  We just have to accept that.  However, I still believe that there is a possibility that we could collectively get this thing working 100% and create a process that anyone could follow to do so.  Then, if enough people were doing it, Apple would maybe consider that they should stop milking sh*tty iOS and give us what we are really looking for... a mobile Mac running a full OS with a removable keyboard/trackpad and a touch screen.  Then I would sell the surface pro in a heartbeat.  ;)

• Like 1

everyone is free to update the guide, just pm it to me and i'll fix it asap.

one time a girl gave me a welcome card with written: "....Please don't come here to play it safe. They come here to swim in the deep end...."

... keep in mind that there is actually no GUIDE for the real thing. What would it be?

OSX-install solo (i think like mythamp),

Win8.1 left alone, with aditional OSX,

OSX-install on a clean disk - followed by the Win8 install (that is how i did it!),

OR OSX with Android (like JahStories did)???

You cant cover in that guide, if someone "forgets" to install a kext that was needed, you cant cover if someone erases a bootfolder...

is there a way for a Vanilla-Distro, i mean like all those kalyways, iAktos... just adapted to the Surface, but still Vanilla.   ???

This could be a solution, but tricky about the copyrighted stuff.

I have a hard time believing someone who lived/worked in palo alto then moved to shenzhen - that your sole computer is a surface pro, you apparently live in electronics central and cant upgrade to a MBP? You had bricked your adapter twice and had to reorder them waiting forever, if I were you, I would have gone and bought a refurb mac-air immediately, there is an official applestore 30 mins away across to HK. 

Thanks for reminding about refurbs. I run a charitable science foundation, and the surface pro was the annual main machine purchase....sadly.

Are you in hk?

I would gladly trade this 256gb surface pro with type cover for a macbook air in a millisecond.

Maybe order a new adapter tomorrow or go to by one at huachiang road and then sell or trade.

Updates to the main guide:

Issues:

v0.2 NO SLEEP, NO INTERNAL WIFi & BLUETOOTH

v0.2.5 NO MINIDISPLAY OUT NO INTERNAL WIFI & BLUETOOTH

v0.3 NO INTERNAL WIFI & BLUETOOTH

v 0.4 NO INTERNAL WIFI (bt fix by jape  :smoke:Thanks a lot)

You need:

• 1 surface pro (1°gen or 2°gen)
  • 2 pen drives (at least 4gb each)
  • 1 Mac or Pc With Osx & Windows (Vm's are good too)

Read the thread post by post before asking for help or everyone is gonna hate you, truly.

Files:

V 0.4 Full Files Pack dumbproofed

​Files index

APP EFIMOUNTER (mounts the efi partition)

APP KEXTDROP (Needed to Clean install kexts)
System KextsùDSDT & SSDT Files

the latest (v0.4) files pack contains everything you need in only one convenient file even the new bluetooth driver by jape (thanks!!)   :) 

Have fun!

• Like 3

Thanks for updating the guide and consolidating the files. Glad you acknowledge it's smarter to have all of it in one file. Maybe you simply didn't know before that version numbering is for complete iterations of a release.

Anyone know the method of forcing the avastarfwloader to load every reboot? Seems that and the usb wifi and bt drivers load randomly.

And let's try to articulate the various solutions clearly instead of saying ymmv, considering all sp1 hw is similar.

Maybe the usb kext isn't loading?

:D those were official apple ........

the vaio running osx was just an experiment and was running osx not os8 or 9. :P

..true.

"Investing" in an old system would have been a waste :-)

I'd still like a time-stable OS9 PC/Mac emu-hack for Midi.

..this gets off-topic :-o

-----------SURFACE WIFI

The WIFI USB Stick: EDUP EP-N8531 is NOT a good solution.

It did crash a Mac OSX 10.6.8 ..and might crash a S/SP/1-2-3.

-----------

ps: Prefix095 is quite nice tune (melody) /is that a a real 909?

So....after the surface pro stopped turning on.....been able to get it to flash the surface logo twice....

Tried the vol button 15 sec thing and the 30 press thing......

Anybody know a way to force it to turn on? (Aside from bludgeoning steve balmer to death with it)

So....after the surface pro stopped turning on.....been able to get it to flash the surface logo twice....

Tried the vol button 15 sec thing and the 30 press thing......

Anybody know a way to force it to turn on? (Aside from bludgeoning steve balmer to death with it)

Try holding down volume up + power, rather than volume down + power.

Looking for a little feedback from someone who has used the touch base drivers...

I am considering getting them to use the pen on OSX, but are there any programs that really use the handwriting feature as that would probably be my main use, I really like the windows 8 recognition but prefer using OSX (nothing against windows though) - I am not much of a PS user so that part is largely redundant.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

So finally got it to boot.....almost to osx logon. Then it simply went off again.....don't outsource fw to india.

Would be nice if someone in the forum that truly understands uefi and clover would clarify wtf is going on and a solution.

Made with analogue synthesis and recorded to a much lower digital resolution...........the point? No idea.

Looking for a little feedback from someone who has used the touch base drivers...

I am considering getting them to use the pen on OSX, but are there any programs that really use the handwriting feature as that would probably be my main use, I really like the windows 8 recognition but prefer using OSX (nothing against windows though) - I am not much of a PS user so that part is largely redundant.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Hi. I am following "handwriting recocnition" on Windows since WindowsXP-Tablet-Edition. In that time i had the handwriting also working for OSX.

IMHO the handwriting recognition on Win8  is far more "evolved" than on OSX. OSX is good for blockletters, not so good for handwriting. Win8 covers it all - superb. And on the Win8-side your software is "learning" and you can "teach" your handwritingskills to Win8.

From the painting view (or scribbing) your good on both OSs. The pen feels and behave like it should... Wacom-like.

A workaround for this... use Parallels, VM-Ware or.... to run Win8 under OSX... So you are happy with OSX and use your pen in Win8.  The i5 inside should handle this.

That is why i am running a dual Win8/OSX... Win8 for OneNote, Notetaking in Word (with the handwriting input...BTW the onscreen keyboard in Win8 is super, except for that "reinvented" number-block). On the OSX side LogicX, and stuff that is in Windows "unthinkable".

Bootingtime isnt a problem :yes:

Hi. I am following "handwriting recocnition" on Windows since WindowsXP-Tablet-Edition. In that time i had the handwriting also working for OSX.

IMHO the handwriting recognition on Win8 is far more "evolved" than on OSX. OSX is good for blockletters, not so good for handwriting. Win8 covers it all - superb. And on the Win8-side your software is "learning" and you can "teach" your handwritingskills to Win8.

From the painting view (or scribbing) your good on both OSs. The pen feels and behave like it should... Wacom-like.

A workaround for this... use Parallels, VM-Ware or.... to run Win8 under OSX... So you are happy with OSX and use your pen in Win8. The i5 inside should handle this.

That is why i am running a dual Win8/OSX... Win8 for OneNote, Notetaking in Word (with the handwriting input...BTW the onscreen keyboard in Win8 is super, except for that "reinvented" number-block).

Bootingtime isnt a problem :yes:

That's great, thanks for taking the time to do a detailed response. On that basis think I will continue to use pen with Windows and keyboard on osx, using one note as you have suggested.

That's great, thanks for taking the time to do a detailed response. On that basis think I will continue to use pen with Windows and keyboard on osx, using one note as you have suggested.

Let us know how you get along with parallels or whatever, running win8 in a shell on OSX... i am confident that your touch-stuff will be recocnized (on the HW driver side) ... but no one tried that (afaik)... Welcome pioneer!!! :D

Ah ... and BTW my 3rd new mantra  ( beside: read the wole thread and install ALL kexts in S/L/E): get yourself clonezilla, an external-HD, a USB-hub plus a wired external keyboard - do a disk-backup (and feel good!!!) - BEFORE YOU START ANYTHING YOU COULD REGRET! (i wish they would pay me for that....)

• Like 1

So finally got it to boot.....almost to osx logon. Then it simply went off again.....don't outsource fw to india.

Would be nice if someone in the forum that truly understands uefi and clover would clarify wtf is going on and a solution.

Made with analogue synthesis and recorded to a much lower digital resolution...........the point? No idea.

how? Via USB or via HDD? did you do that funky "get the kernel" stuff mentioned...

I kept the Windows partition on and it's quick enough boot time that I will just switch between the two as necessary rather than parallels.

... yeah... this works for me too!! (did you see my edit... UP)

please don't answer to those who are not following thread rules.

See ya!

charity! ... :angel_not: - just asking. not answering.       - hey ethan, means u2 :D(the caps-lock stuff) badges and signature really help

It would be nice if you followed our community rules. Again with the constant whining and blaming(India, wtf) for your issues. You either bought a lemon(possible) or you can't follow directions(more than likely since you can't even bother to follow the forum format).

Your attitude is the worst I've seen on here. Acting like people here have deceived you into purchasing a surface pro, insulting peoples hard work and still you expect help? Please either turn the attitude around, follow the forum rules and become a positive contributor or take your negativity somewhere else.

• Like 4