[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

@issaaccxu

probably the efi partition is corrupted, try a clean installation formatting the whole drive.

BTW

UPDATE ON THE MAIN POST

the guide is been simplified and its now more schematic, i hope you all like the changes, thanks as always to everyone that's contributing so far !

SurfacePro 1°Gen. Steps:
Make a bootable USB Mavericks (Vanilla Installation):
  1. Prepare your USB as GUID partition map with a HFS+ partition.
  2. Download Mavericks from the APPStore (it will be installed in your application folder) and mount InstallESD (Right click on “Install OS X Mavericks”,  then it's in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg)
  3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:
  4. open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
  5. Restore “OS X Base System” to your USB
  6. Navigate to /System/Installation on your USB drive.
  7. Delete the “Packages” link then copy the Packages folder from “OS X Install ESD” to this location.
  8. Install Clover to the pen drive (http://sourceforge.n.../cloverefiboot/)
  • Select your USB Drive and the select “Custom Install”
  • Select “Install for UEFI booting only”
  • Select Themes
  • Select Drivers64UEFI
  1. When installation is finished , copy Config.plist from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/
  2. Copy dsdt.aml & ssdt.aml from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  3. Use pacifist to extract mach_kernel from /OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg to the root of your USB drive.
  4. Copy the kexts from the attached files to System/Library/Extensions
Prepare a partition to install OsX:
  1. Start Windows 8.1 on your Surface Pro
  2. Go to the desktop, right click on the "Start" button, and open Disk Management
  3. Select the C:\ partition, right click, and go to "Shrink Volume"
  4. Enter the new size for the volume and click OK
  5. Afterwards, right click on the empty space and select format
  6. Format the new partition as NTFS
  7. Shutdown the device
Install OsX on the Surface Pro
  1. Power up holding the volume down, with the USB stick installed
  2. Clover will boot up, choose your USB stick and boot without caches and injected kext
  3. Open Disk Utility once the installer has come up
  4. Locate the newly created NTFS partition and select "erase"
  5. Change the file system to HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled)
  6. Exit Disk Utility
  7. Install OSX to your the New OSX Partition
  •  When the Installation is finished. It counting down to restart.
  • Go before the coundown is ended to the menu and launch the terminal
  • If you are to late, boot again with volume down, choose your USB stick and boot without caches and injected kext and then start the terminal from the menu
  1. Copy the extensions
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ACPIBatteryManager.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  1. Quit terminal and Shut Down the installer
  2. Reboot back into Clover (you will need to hold the volume button again)
  3. Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot without caches and injected kext
  4. Install Clover to the ssd drive 
    • Select your SSD Drive and the select “Custom Install”
    • Select Themes
    • Select Drivers64UEFI
  5. When installation is finished , copy Config.plist from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/
  6. Copy dsdt.aml & ssdt.aml from attached files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  7. Copy the kexts from the attached files to System/Library/Extensions
  8. have fun

V0.3 UPDATE (Backlight & Sleep)

Link v0.3+ patched extra kext

How to install:

• Use KextDrop (provided) to install acpibacklight and appleintelframebuffercapri.kext
  • Replace the provided dsdt.aml to efi/clover/acpi/patched
  • Copy the config.plist to efi/clover
  • Open CloverConfigurator and create an smbios with correct serial for MacBookAir5,2
  • Save & Reboot.

Vanilla kext have to be kextdropped only if you tried the old wrong v0.3 patches with voodoobattery, remember to remove it kexts too voodoobattery.kext!

Known Issues:

Don't lose time trying various wacom drivers to calibrate the PEN digitizer, i've tried them all, they don't work, Microsoft edited the vendor id! 

Proper Multitouch with gestures works, but works only with commercial Touch-Base drivers. Partial Stylus too (no pressure, right click or eraser Its coming soon.

Sleep works, but the screen is black after awaking, volumes keys does "bong" so it's a no power to the screen issue :/  FIXED ON V0.3

Still NO WIFI, sadly by now we need a usbwifi key   :(

@Rehabman

Thank you! Got it working. Completely made my day, well that and my history thesis class getting cancelled lol. 

Edit: Now it's just time to get the brightness fixed for me. 

Thanks again for your quick response! The problem for me is that when I tried to install Clove to mac os with your settings, it failed and no EFI partition will appear even if I use the EFI mounter. 

You did mentioned about the windows is using EFI partition, did that mean I need to reinstall windows 8.1? What I did is simply followed Pro 2 section to shrink windows partition without re-install it. Thanks!

long story short: windows creates 2 partition (disk0s1-recovery?, disk0s2-EFI) that take the place of the EFI partition osx should create and use( disk0s1)

os x's EFI partition must have special characteristics( for lack of a better word) and cannot use Windows's (disk0s2) to boot.

source & more info

Jahstories updated the guide, see if it helps you.

1. Install Clover to the ssd drive 
    • Select your USB Drive and the select “Custom Install”
    • Select Themes
    • Select Drivers64UEFI

I think you meant ssd

Hi Everyone. I have a 128gb Surface Pro 1.

I followed all the instructions but i am having problems installing the Clover EFI onto the SSD. 

After the install is done, i click on the Clover EFI pkg and click the Install for UEFI Motherboards but i get an Installation Failed Error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

@minimojoman i think that was the problem. Unmounting it and trying with the latest clover fixed it.

Thanks everyone.

I have another issue. Everything installed correctly. I also installed the UPDD.dmg from Touch-base for the touch drivers. The pen works almost perfectly but when i touch the screen with my finger, the mouse goes all the way to the top corner and nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Microsoft SurfacePro 1 OS:Windows, OSX Mavericks Cpu:u4000 Gpu:HD4000 Ram:4gb 1333  WiFi:external usb SSD:128gb

Hello, So I'm having trouble installing OSX Mavericks on my Surface Pro, I've followed the guide exactly, used the necessary attachments, redid every step 3 times and I still receive the same outcome.

I'm having trouble booting into OSX from Clover. It won't go passed the white screen, the apple logo vanishes and is replaced by the "Error" symbol. I've attached the image below.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm using Clover r2577

post-1294439-0-22634100-1392328251_thumb.jpg

@mlavio829

Have you calibrated touch?

@brynrsr

when in cllover, press spacebar and select "boot without caches and with injected kext" (make sure you have highlighted the correct volume, ie. install usb, or installed osx partition)

if that doesn't work, press spacebar again and chose "boot in verbose", then take(good) pic and post it here when the text freezes.

Thanks JahStories for the easiest to follow installation guide on the net! Working through it very smoothly.

However, I've reached the boot from USB section to install from clover and I'm stuck, I can't do anything at the boot screen, do I need the Surface keyboard to continue from this point?

Thanks JahStories for the easiest to follow installation guide on the net! Working through it very smoothly.

However, I've reached the boot from USB section to install from clover and I'm stuck, I can't do anything at the boot screen, do I need the Surface keyboard to continue from this point?

Im assuming you are going to at least need something connected via usb. Are you using something usb or bluetooth?

@brynrsr

I had this issue too, I remember it specifically that it was looking for the root image. I reinstalled the OS after that I believe, but my memory is awful lol.

Yes, you need surface keyboard or any usb keyboard, but then you will need a usb hub to connect both your usb drive and keyboard. Currently Clove doesn't support touch screen. 

This is one of the things that are missing from the guide. The other is just pointed out by osxlander on post 911, that you need to press spacebar to go into boot options where you can find "boot without caches and with injected kext". 

So it was all going well until I missed the count down to stop the restart after installing OSX. I tried starting it in the same way as before but now all I get is this error, a white screen with the Apple logo and the spinning rainbow.

So I reformatted the partition on Windows, redid all the instructions from the first step and this error and the white screen and logo is still all I can get :( any suggestions??

ADDED: I've just tried the first option in the menu rather than cache and kernels option and it seems to be working now...or at least..installing.

ADDED A BIT LATER: Ok so it installed and got to the terminal and added the code. Went back booted from new install, no cache/with kernels and it gets to the ++++++ part and just stalls.

EVEN LATERER: Tried the older clover version suggested above and still nothing. At this point it feels like a bit of a lost cause :-/ .... any theories??

post-1302370-0-20222900-1392357681_thumb.jpg

Hi all!

Which driver you used for Edimax EW7811UN.
I use this:
Work fine, but when I remove the USB key, the system freeze.
I searched in the forum but have not found other drivers.
Thanks!

Yes i have the same problem, same driver, i think its due to a driver issue, i am looking for a suitable device with a different chipset to try. other usb devices i plug in don't cause any problems.
I think this is also causing problems with sleep as it keeps waking the surface every five minutes, until its removed.
Surface Pro 2

Windows 8.1, OSX 10.9.1 -  Intel Core i5-4200u 1.6 Ghz - HD4400 -  : 8 GB 1600Mhz DDR 3 - Edimax EW7811UN  - SSD 256 GB

@Motawa

Kind of a personal preference thing, I'd rather have it on a table.

@HoodedRobin

Use the clover included in the files, start the process over and put it all together to a t. It's a very good guide.

@StefanoMacOSX

This is a common issue for a lot of people, there is a post on this forum that talks about USB that fixes the issue.

@StefanoMacOSX

This is a common issue for a lot of people, there is a post on this forum that talks about USB that fixes the issue.

I tried searching on this thread where you talk about the usb wifi drivers alternative that does not block the system but have not found anything. 
Can you tell me in which post or page talk about it? 
Thank you!

long story short: windows creates 2 partition (disk0s1-recovery?, disk0s2-EFI) that take the place of the EFI partition osx should create and use( disk0s1)

os x's EFI partition must have special characteristics( for lack of a better word) and cannot use Windows's (disk0s2) to boot.

source & more info

I had once an issue on my laptop when I installed UEFI Windows 7 first and then OSX after it. Windows created 100 MB EFI partition as the first partition and that is fine. But OSX wants 200 MB EFI partition and then later OSX installer created another 200 MB EFI partition somewhere in the middle of the disk. This is not good.

I solved the problem by reformatting the disk and installing OSX first (it created 200 MB EFI partition) and then Windows (it used existing EFI partition).

I do not know if the same issue exists here, but there should be only one EFI partition and should be the first one on the disk (in OSX diskXs1). I it is not - something went wrong and it's not good.