[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

Nope... keyboard or mouse needed, maybe later clover will add touchscreen support.

Btw

Guys please, thatoneging made a google doc to help us find and fix everybug,

so take a look and write every bug that you find in this bug's txt, so we can track them all.

Thanks as always

@stefanoMacOSX

http://touch-base.com/documentation/SurfacePro.htm

Download ignoring pen proximity. Uninstall previous edition, recalibrate first time with finger, second time with pen. Make sure you are exact with pen calibrations. The first time I did it I screwed it up, redid it. restart my computer, works like a charm.

Edit:

So found a little app that lets me draw around. Pen works fine, however this app would not let me use the eraser function. What app(s) does Microsoft use for their SP's that utilizes the pen, completely forgot what it was. Going to copy my windows copy of OneNote13 over and see if it can be ran by Crossover (probably not).

@minimojoman

Tried once and failed...

i THINK, it's because the EFI partition windows creates cannot be tampered with ; so you'll have to erase it, which in turn will prevent you from booting to windows. 

copying clover files to it or copying windows fils to a formatted one with clover installed, didn't have an effect; It just booted directly into windows.

trying to fix boot (as mentioned in the guide) failed.

edit: the stroked text above isn't accurate, but my point is still valid.

• Like 1

@swyner

I don't use iMessage or FaceTime but they're working ok for me!

Have you installed nullethernet correctly?

IF yes, try this:

Disconnect your usb wifi adapter.

go to System preferences/network and delete all interfaces, click apply then reboot. ( you can also delete  /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, just to be sure).

once booted up go to network interfaces again and add "Ethernet" interface, click apply.

connect your usb wifi then add the wlan interfacce(if it's not automatically added) then click apply.

now test the apps see if they work.

Well now it works perfectly.  So, the lesson for others is if you install a new USB Wifi or Ethernet adapter/driver, you MUST redo the steps above to have NullEthernet installed first, then your other adapters.  A bunch of resets and iMessage/Facetime activated and working perfectly!!!

On another note, I am now having that 25 second delay on opening Mac OS in Finder.  It happens only on the first time I try to access it in Finder and immediately upon booting up (i.e. not after a sleep mode).  I know others were having this issue so just wanted to see if anyone found a specific solution...I will add to the bugs file.

the ativ doesn't have a rebadged prod. id. like the surface pro for the touch panel... it uses "natives" wacom driver...

btw

i've got a mail from dave of touchbase, he said that they'll send a final driver with eraser pressure right click and proximity support very soon.

• Like 3

While following this guide, What is the reason I need to re-install windows 8.1?? Cant I just install OSx on the created partition and leave 8.1 intact??? Or does it have to do with the partition needing a different format for osx?? I appreciate it.

No you don't. Just follow the Surface Pro 2 part, but not pro 1: I was able to just shrink the windows and create a 30GB partition for Mac OSX. 

B. Prepare a partition to install OSX

1. Start Windows 8.1 on your Surface Pro 2

2. Go to the desktop, right click on the "Start" button, and open Disk Management

3. Select the C:\ partition, right click, and go to "Shrink Volume"

4. Enter the new size for the volume and click OK

5. Afterwards, right click on the empty space and select format

Format the new partition as NTFS

6. Shutdown the device

C. Install OSX on the Surface Pro 2

1. Power up holding the volume down, with the USB stick installed

2. Clover will boot up, choose your USB stick and boot without caches and injected kext

3. Open Disk Utility once the installer has come up

Locate the newly created NTFS partition and select "erase"

Change the file system to HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled)

Exit Disk Utility

4. Install OSX to your the New OSX Partition

• When the Installation is finished. It counting down to restart.

(surfaceosx)

First off I want to thank all on this forum for working together to get our Surface Pro working!!!  I have finally got to the point where everything is working flawlessly from auto boot in Clover, to sleep, USB Wifi adapter (yes, got a new one and the old one was the culprit for random reboots), iCloud and Apps store working via NullEthernet.  I also have dual display and I supposed since iCloud and App store are working, my Airplay to Apple TV works perfect!  Thank you.

Glad that you made all this! I was able to install Mac OSX to my pro 1 last night finally, but currently trying to figure out how to install Clove to Mac partition so that it can auto boot in Clover without USB pen driver? Also, how do you adjust brightness in mac? Thanks!

@JahStories nice, 

now i just need a 100 bucks... I can sell my surface pr... oh wait no i can't  :wacko:

issaacxu

install on os x partition using these settings

post-1292583-0-30357300-1391629204_thumb.jpg

then put the v3 files from this guide in the appropriate place in the EFI partition.  use clover Configurator(from this guide) to set the boot partition/Volume.

System preference/display to change brightness.

• Like 1

@Osxlander

OK, here is the Jahstories's guide for pro 1: I have done all of them until install clove to the osx partition where I don't find too much detail. Could you add more details? many thanks!

Type:

• OLD cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/“PENDRIVE”/System/Library/Extensions/ OLD
  • cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"*INSTALLED OSX PARTITION*"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext /Volumes/"*INSTALLED OSX PARTITION*"/System/Library/Extensions/

you can reboot now.

Once rebooted: 

select the new installed partition and boot.

If it doesn’t reach the desktop, try a safe boot (press spacebar after selecting the partition you want to boot with.)
Then, after you completed the initial setup of osx

install clover to the partition so you can boot without the pendrive,

after the installation use kextdrop to install all the provided kexts drag the config.plist to efi and efi/clover/ folder and the dsdt.aml and ssdt.aml to efi/clover/acpi/patched

@Osxlander

OK, here is the Jahstories's guide for pro 1: I have done all of them until install clove to the osx partition where I don't find too much detail. Could you add more details? many thanks!

Install clover to os x partition(using settings in my previous reply)

a volume called EFI will be mounted

now follow the instructions  under "V0.3 UPDATE (Backlight & Sleep)", in the first page of this thread.

is it possible to install osx on the microSD card and boot off there and not even mess with the SSD?

This must get really irritating helping us newbies out, I am having trouble following the guides because they seem to have conflicting info.  In the guide on the first page of this thread it says to follow Vanilla's guide to create a bootable USB, then install clover to the USB.  Well the vanilla guide it links to says that there is a newer version up top that we can go to.. Should we still be following this??

Creating the installer
1. Prepare your USB as GUID partition map with a HFS+ partition.
2. Mount your Mavericks DMG (Right click on “Install OS X 10.9 Developer Preview” then its in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg)
3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:
open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
4. Restore “OS X Base System” to your USB
5. Navigate to /System/Installation your USB drive Delete the “Packages” link then copy the Packages folder from “OS X Install ESD” to this location.
6. Use pacifist to extract mach_kernel from /OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg to the root of your USB drive. (Note: This is in the attachment).
7. Copy essential kexts to /System/Library/Extensions on your USB stick.

8. Install chameleon to the USB drive
9. Create the extra folder for the USB (copy your old one over)
10. Copy your folder of essential software & kexts to your USB stick.

and if so, then when should you stop??? Step 8 says install chameleon, thats where I am confused.  Isn't clover the bootloader it is asking us to install on the first page of this thread?? Or do both chameleon and clover work together?? 

Also these instructions in bold below I cannot figure out for the life of me.. what does add -x as flag?  I dont even see that as an option in the clover "options" menu.

GO:

Once done plug your usb key to the surface, shut it down and then keep the volume down key clicked, press the power button and release volume when the surface logo appear.
You should be inside the boot loader, move through the menus select options and add -x as flag then you can go back and press enter on the installation partition.
When the installer starts, go up to the menu bar, click utilities and then disk utility from that create 2 partitions

I suggest to use 30 gb for osx and around 90 gb for windows, remember to press option and select guid as partition table click apply and go on with the installation.

At the end of the installation open terminal from the utility menu on top, (if the computer reboots select the installer under clover again) and

I hope this makes sense and you are willing to help, I appreciate it!

Ive done all the steps, installed chameleon, and clover both different times, and I got it to install osx on my micro sd card, but now when I try loading either the installer or the osx install I get a circle with a line through it.    I am so confused, and im not even computer illiterate

(surface2osx)

Been a long day, but I'm struggling through trying to go through Rehabman's method for changing the mac address and going about getting the app store activated. If somebody could send me a little detailed guidance, it would be majorly appreciated. Night folks.

the ativ doesn't have a rebadged prod. id. like the surface pro for the touch panel... it uses "natives" wacom driver...

btw

i've got a mail from dave of touchbase, he said that they'll send a final driver with eraser pressure right click and proximity support very soon.

Really great news! 
Thanks JahStories! 

I take this opportunity to ask you one thing: 
When unplugging your usb wifi dongle (Edimax EW7811UN) while you are using the mac, it crashes the whole system? The mouse and keyboard do not work anymore! 
To me it does just that! : (
Do you know how I can fix?

Really great news! 
Thanks JahStories! 

I take this opportunity to ask you one thing: 
When unplugging your usb wifi dongle (Edimax EW7811UN) while you are using the mac, it crashes the whole system? The mouse and keyboard do not work anymore! 
To me it does just that! : (
Do you know how I can fix?

This is a common problem some are having, search this forum and there is a post about the usb power for this issue.

Creating the installer

1. Prepare your USB as GUID partition map with a HFS+ partition.

2. Mount your Mavericks DMG (Right click on “Install OS X 10.9 Developer Preview” then its in /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg)

3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:

open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

4. Restore “OS X Base System” to your USB

5. Navigate to /System/Installation your USB drive Delete the “Packages” link then copy the Packages folder from “OS X Install ESD” to this location.

6. Use pacifist to extract mach_kernel from /OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg to the root of your USB drive. (Note: This is in the attachment).

until step six

Also these instructions in bold below I cannot figure out for the life of me.. what does add -x as flag?  I dont even see that as an option in the clover "options" menu.

options>"boot args"

args stands for arguments, which is another word for flag. they start with - and are seperated by space(ex. -x -v) x safe mode -v verbose(text) mode

please use Google next time; a simple "boot flag os x" search, would probably get you the answer you're looking for.

Ive done all the steps, installed chameleon, and clover both different times, and I got it to install osx on my micro sd card, but now when I try loading either the installer or the osx install I get a circle with a line through it.    I am so confused, and im not even computer illiterate

for best results, you can put dsdt.aml (EFI/clover/acpi/patched) and kexts (EFI/clover/kexts/10.9) in the the  EFI parition on the usb driver. press spacebar when highlighting install or boot Volume then select "boot without caches and with injected kext"

Install clover to os x partition(using settings in my previous reply)

a volume called EFI will be mounted

now follow the instructions  under "V0.3 UPDATE (Backlight & Sleep)", in the first page of this thread.

Thanks again for your quick response! The problem for me is that when I tried to install Clove to mac os with your settings, it failed and no EFI partition will appear even if I use the EFI mounter. 

You did mentioned about the windows is using EFI partition, did that mean I need to reinstall windows 8.1? What I did is simply followed Pro 2 section to shrink windows partition without re-install it. Thanks!