[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surface) / (surface2osx)

Just curious, does anyone else get a system 'hang' when you unplug your wifi adapter?

It's not really a hang/panic, as the system seems to be still running, but the usb ports just completely die.

I've tried two wifi adapters (Asus N10 Nano & EDUP N8508) and both are doing the same to me...

I7 3770k 4.5 Ghz with 670, 16 ram 2133, is no top (mid-high maybe) hardware and it is over than surface pro 2 (over over over and reover) and os x in vm ware or VirtualBox have a lot of lag in the first, in the surface... Boom

Surface just have a low i5 with a poor graphics (intel graphics cards... For a kind of device como surface, okay but it is not good graphics of you want do some video editing or playing games).

Just check hardware of top laptop or mid laptop and check the surface hardware. It is poor.

Find me a 13" tablet with better specs that can do the same and I will gladly buy it... For now, the SP2 is as good as it gets in truly mobile computing...

Of course there are better, bigger systems, heck I have 2 Workstations with Nvidia Titan/K6000 GPU's over 50 TB of SSD, 250 TB of HDD Raid hanging off 10 gb fibrecontrollers @ work! but its not exactly portable now is it... :P

• Like 1

Surface pro 2 is the best tablet (I believe), but that the other tablets have worse hardware no mean that the surface pro 2 have a great hardware. It is only a mid low hardware.

This tablet is done for common uses like office, programing, image edit, even amateur video edit.

But use it for virtualize, gaming (I plays Battlefield 4 and the online is unplayable in surface, even with low settings you lose distance view). Gta V won't run surely, 3D edit or advanced video edit with after effects and plugins...

come on 

please stop 

everyone has its ideas

let's not start an epic pointless discussion.

@bluebug

Thanks for the hint, btw, the app do not really reduce display brightness properly, it does just applies a dimmamble dark layer on top... (just look at the cursor)

And

we are principally looking to let osx recognize the display as applebacklightdisplay instead of appledisplay (this issue is not present in the surfacepro 2 that correctly recognize the backlitdisplay)

Cause that will fix the black screen after sleep issue

but i don't know how to fix

so if someone wanna help,,,

(surfaceosx)

Thanks for the quick reply, @JahStories!

It's been quite a long time since I last dabbled with Hackintoshes, but I'm normally pretty good at following guides, so I am completely baffled why I can't even create a USB drive to boot the Surface Pro from. If it isn't too much to ask, could you (or anyone, really) take a peek at the steps I've outlined below and help me figure out what it is I must be doing wrong here?

1. Using “Disk Utility.app”, I partition my USB drive using “GUID Partition Table” and “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” as the format
  2. Next, I mount the Mavericks disk image (Install OS X Mavericks.app/Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg)
  3. Then, I mount “BaseSystem.dmg” via the Terminal command “open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg” and, using “Disk Utility.app”, restore it to my newly partitioned USB drive
  4. Delete the “Packages” alias from “USB drive/System/Installation/” and copy the “Packages” folder from “OS X Install ESD” to this location
  5. Using “Pacifist.app” I extract “mach_kernel” from “OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg” and copy it to the root of my USB drive
  6. Copy the contents of “Surface Pro/Kexts/” to “USB drive/System/Library/Extensions/”
  7. Using “Surface Pro/Clover_v2k_r2165.pkg”, I do a standard install of Clover onto my USB drive, not checking any of the custom install options since that isn't mentioned in the guide.
  8. Copy “Surface Pro/to efi / clover/config.plist” to “USB drive/EFI/CLOVER/”, replacing the existing "config.plist" file
  9. Copy “dsdt.aml” and “ssdt.aml” from “Patched tables surface pro v0.2” to “USB drive/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched”
  10. Mount the USB drive’s EFI partition with "EFI Mounter-v2.app" and copy the KEXTs from “Surface Pro/Kexts/” to the newly created folder “EFI_PARTITION/clover/kext/10.9/”

When I now take this prepared USB drive and attempt to boot the Surface Pro from it (holding “Volume Down”, hitting “Power”, releasing “Volume Down” when the Surface logo appears on screen *), nothing will happen. The Surface will simply boot into Windows from its internal SSD. For the life of me, I have no idea what I am doing wrong - I am 99.99% sure that I followed the guide to the letter.

Any help would be *loads* appreciated! 

(* – I know I am doing this correctly because I can boot from another, identical USB drive that I've moved the Surface's recovery partition onto)

@thatoneging – not stupid at all, I should've mentioned this in my post! Yes, I have disabled secure boot. Figured that one out when the Surface wouldn't let me boot using another USB drive with a perfectly good Win 8.1 installer on it. So yes, booting from external media works just fine.  :)

@uhoh then most likely it is what @swyner said and it is the Clover install. I had an issue with this same thing until I realized I wasnt changing the customize installing to the UEFI drivers. Good luck!

• Like 1

In regards to sound, I've had two bugs/maybe I don't know how to adjust it. But 1) when plugging headphones in, volume did not automatically detect it and continued to play normally so I manually did it. 2) Could not figure out how to get volume to play through an HDMI cord to my TV. 

Correct. All of those. Also you may want to select a theme or 2 as well and then go to your config .plst in the efi/clover folder and edit the part under themes to one that you installed. It will look much better than having no theme

• Like 1

@swyner,

Do you mean these two?

mssurface_osxinstallcloveroptions.jpg

And if so, did you select all the options under "Drivers64UEFI"?

I feel I'm getting closer... thank you, thank you, thank you!  :)

This is the system used for what I used (surfacepro2 though), also click Themes.

@akzidenz

Did you get the App Store using that wifi card? I have tried to get the app store to work using the method given, still can't get it.

• Like 1

Well I get all work except Apple store.

The app gestures is really amazing, is there some similar for Windows 8? If it gets a good configuration os x can be more usable than Windows 8 with a few of practice and patience...

23 second from power off to get os x desktop. How long for you?

(surface2osx)

Is anybody figure out how to prevent Surface Pro 2 (I5-4300U unit) from auto wakeup in about 10 seconds after sleep? I have added dartwake=0 to config.plist and changed my clover from v2512 to v2563, still has no luck.... 

@osxlander

thanks for the big recap, but there is already a guide in the first post, that's really update

and many people installed osx succesfully without any struggling...

so please before posting big guides confusing everyone please contact me or macspike if you are messing with the surface pro 2

every fix or correct help request will be greatly accepted btw

let's keep the thread nice and clean

it's an hackintosh forum not the apple genius bar, if your volume keys are not working try a fix without writing a post asking for help

@osxlander,

You Sir rock big time! Thanks a million for your guide - your instructions worked perfectly!!

@swyner & @thatoneging, big thank you to you guys as well!!

@JahStories,

I appreciate your work in putting together the guide on the first page very, very much but I simply can not believe that you would just delete osxlander's instructions. Especially since your guide is missing crucial information regarding the configuration of the Clover boot loader installation and the configuration of the USB boot drive. I experimented with your guide for a day and a half and got nowhere, whereas it took me just two hours to re-do everything from scratch following osxlander's guide and get Mavericks up and running.

Had you incorporated his post into your guide, all would have been perfect but I am staggered that you would simply erase all of his post but the screenshots, which are mostly useless without the text. In doing so you achieved nothing but making the installation process unnecessarily complicated for other users.

^ That isn't what happened, Jah did not delete the instructions. Sorry for jumping to conclusions!

I still do believe however that it would be a great idea to incorporate osxlander's instructions into the overall guide – it would make the installation process so much more painless for other Surface-noobs like myself.

Edited by uhoh
  • Like 1