Ozmosis

xpamamadeus
6,231 posts in this topic

So guys, I got interesting news!

After researching a lot (with big help from smx) .. we thought it would be wise to try the nvram writing from another OS.. to see if it's really a BIOS issue that nvram doesn't persist... or an OS issue.

Well, it turns out, it's an OS(X) or Ozmosis Issue. Ozmosis READS while FirmwareBoot from nvram fine.. but after OSX is booted, those EFI variables (GUIDs) - it read fine before - aren't read-/accessable anymore from OSX!

-- It can be assumed that Ozmosis leaves the NVRam in an unclean state...

It can be assumed that more recent BIOS versions don't feature the backwards compatibility for old U/EFI standards... so Apple's implementation is no longer working (Apple is still using a pretty old *custom* version of EFI).

Can anybody clearly explain this situation?

Anyways, here's a workaround:

-- Method via Linux --

You need:

* USB Flashdrive

* Ubuntu 14.04 x64 iso

* Unetbootin

* Attached file "efirw.c"

1. Go to Disk Utility, format the USB Stick as FAT32 - Partition Table: MBR

2. With Unetbootin, write ubuntu iso to usb flashdrive

3. MODIFY attached efirw.c to match your desired SMBios values + boot-args

4. Copy modified efirw.c to usb flashdrive

5. Boot from usb flash to Ubuntu (UEFI Mode!!!)

6. Start "Terminal" -> type the following

sudo su
mount -o remount,rw /cdrom

cd /cdrom

gcc -o efiwrite efirw.c

modprobe efivars

./efiwrite

reboot

7. Boot back to OSX, new settings should have been applied (SMBios and Bootargs)

-- Method via EFI Shell --

1. Boot to EFI Shell

2. Type the following commands (adjusted to your needs of course)

setvar boot-args -guid 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -nv ="-v"

setvar SystemSerial -guid 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 -nv ="C02KP025F8JC"
setvar BaseBoardSerial -guid 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 -nv ="C02KP025F8JCF325D"
setvar BiosDate -guid 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 -nv ="03/09/13"
setvar BiosVersion -guid 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 -nv ="IM142.88Z.0118.B00.1309031249"
setvar ProductName -guid 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 -nv ="iMac14,2"
setvar ProductFamily -guid 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 -nv ="iMac"
setvar ProductId -guid 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 -nv ="Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61"

3. Reboot

Credits to:

smx - Help and patience

P. Murphey - Original sourcecode - http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2012/12/efivars-and-efivarfs.html

Links zu Apple's Sourcecode (NVRAM):

efirw.c.zip

Edited by tuxuser
  • Like 3

It's not an issue with Ozmosis. It's related to the firmware and how OS X handles nvram. After the AMI Aptio sourcecode leak AMI changed a lot of stuff in their source. All firmware updates based on this new source lack nvram r/w support in OS X. Other OSs are not affected. So that's why u can write from within ubuntu. U can also write to nvram from within Windows or even from the uefi shell itself.

• Like 1

Well, it turns out, it's an OS(X) or Ozmosis Issue. Ozmosis READS while FirmwareBoot from nvram fine.. but after OSX is booted, those EFI variables (GUIDs) - it read fine before - aren't read-/accessable anymore from OSX!

It can be assumed that more recent BIOS versions don't feature the backwards compatibility for old U/EFI standards... so Apple's implementation is no longer working (Apple is still using a pretty old *custom* version of EFI).

wrong again.

maybe don't try to 'assume' things you clearly have no idea about, or no way to prove.

Trying to create my own firmware, I have extracted all the files from 894 QUO firmware and compressed CORE_DXE and have about 1300kb free space.

Whenever I try and insert ozmosis, even if I put it in before anything else I always get "Error getting firmware information"?

Trying to create my own firmware, I have extracted all the files from 894 QUO firmware and compressed CORE_DXE and have about 1300kb free space.

Whenever I try and insert ozmosis, even if I put it in before anything else I always get "Error getting firmware information"?

dont compress coredxe

and delete unneeded modules.

check space in volume 1 becouse it grows when u insert something in volume 2.

u can read whole thread and u will find what can be deleted and some toher usefull infos about making more space.

• Like 1

Success!

I was trying to install on an external USB HDD just to test but had issues trying to see the OS after install.

Backed up Mavericks and blanked my main drive and install was a success, it saw the main partition in my UEFI boot.

Only thing I needed was FakeSMC which was installed into my UEFI anyway.

NVRAM settings are fine after reboot on F6 version of my boards firmware.

Only things that didn't work after install were sound and ethernet which did work after I installed the kexts.

Awesome work on Ozmosis, it's nice to be able to boot a clean install USB.

hi guys. i came back to clover.

the advantages:

-i can use the latest kozlec fakesmc 6.9

-it gives me a perfect powermanagement (from 8x to 39x with my 4770k) while with ozmosis (with both smcemulator or fakesmc by slice) i had some missing multipliers.

the other advantage is that i have all the sensors working (cpu temps and voltage, fans speed, gpu voltage and temps etc) while with ozmosis (with both smcemulator or fakesmc by slice) i couldn't.

when a working 6.9 kozlec fakesmc will be released for ozmosis, i will come back to ozmosis.

thank you all!

the advantages:

-it gives me a perfect powermanagement (from 8x to 39x with my 4770k) while with ozmosis (with both smcemulator or fakesmc by slice) i had some missing multipliers.

the other advantage is that i have all the sensors working (cpu temps and voltage, fans speed, gpu voltage and temps etc) while with ozmosis (with both smcemulator or fakesmc by slice) i couldn't.

when a working 6.9 kozlec fakesmc will be released for ozmosis, i will come back to ozmosis.

thank you all!

u can use latest kozlek fakesmc with plugins if u install in SLE and no in firmware.

If u add ssdt created using ssdtprgen to your firmware it will have right powermanagment like clover.

Hi friends, i'm trying to insert ozmosis into bios attached, but when i exctract dsdt from AmiBoardInfo.in , maciasl refuse to load , can someone check if i'm doing something wrong ? or this file it's' different then others AmiBoardinfo.bin? 

Many thanks

asusp551CA.zip

Hi friends, i'm trying to insert ozmosis into bios attached, but when i exctract dsdt from AmiBoardInfo.in , maciasl refuse to load , can someone check if i'm doing something wrong ? or this file it's' different then others AmiBoardinfo.bin? 

Many thanks

Hi,

With HexaEdit, just change byte after 3A15 to 00 instead of 01 and all will be ok.

But something wrong because DSDT seems empty :(

Edit:

Dsdt2Bios Bug. here's your DSDT  dsdt.aml.zip

Size is 0x01153a, must change Dstd2Bios witch only can extract max size of 0xFFFF.

Fred

• Like 1

Hi,

With HexaEdit, just change byte after 3A15 to 00 instead of 01 and all will be ok.

But something wrong because DSDT seems empty :(

Fred

Doh! maybe it's' not a rigth place of DSDT? it's a new laptop from asus.

Doh! Thanks

the advantages:

thank you all!

hI xelanaiznac!

If you need to use latest kozlek FakeSMC with Ozmosis 894M, you have to put only Fakesmc in Bios with ozmosis stuff, then you have to put in Efi/Quo/Extensions/Common directory: kozlek FakeSMC and all he's sensors with AppleIntelE1000e.kext that's all, but in System/Library/Extensions only put patched AppleHDA.kext, your patched DSDT.aml in Efi/Quo/ACPI/Load directory: but please don't use DSDT Editor, use MacIASL and PJALM Patch Repository for Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H. No need other kexts like USBXHCI and etc...

All work just fine with this board :yes:  :D  ^_^ !

Hi friends, as you can see when i try to boot from usb key i stuck at this point,  i'v insert ozmoisis stuffs inside,but i thinkg 'v missing something 

laptop is asus p551ca

post-840738-0-29101600-1403456133_thumb.jpg

post-840738-0-43774900-1403456206_thumb.jpg

hI xelanaiznac!

If you need to use latest kozlek FakeSMC with Ozmosis 894M, you have to put only Fakesmc in Bios with ozmosis stuff, then you have to put in Efi/Quo/Extensions/Common directory: kozlek FakeSMC and all he's sensors with AppleIntelE1000e.kext that's all

I tried putting my AppleIntelE100e and USB kexts into the EFI partition but 894 didn't even try to load them. This is with Yosemite so maybe it works for Mavericks. But then, the only reason I'm using 894 is because 828 won't work with Yosemite.

As I said before, hopefully the next Ozmosis release will fix the kext loading so we can get back to where it was with 828.

I tried putting my AppleIntelE100e and USB kexts into the EFI partition but 894 didn't even try to load them. This is with Yosemite so maybe it works for Mavericks. But then, the only reason I'm using 894 is because 828 won't work with Yosemite.

As I said before, hopefully the next Ozmosis release will fix the kext loading so we can get back to where it was with 828.

Hi Riley!

For me with yosemite also works fine without any kext, just kozlek FakeSMC and sensors with AppleIntelE1000e in EFI, AppleHDA in SLE, kozlek FakeSMC without sensors in Bios, no need for USB kexts. But the version of FakeSMC in Bios must be the same in EFI>QUO....

This worked fine with Z87X-UD4H  :yes:  :D  ^_^

Well it's not working here. Maybe it's something with my Z68. I avoided 894 as long as I could but I need it for Yosemite.

Can you have a look at the bdmesg output and show me where it loads kexts from your EFI partition? The only mention of the EFI partition in my bdmesg log is where it lists the folder paths at the start.

I never tried loading kexts from EFI with the earlier Ozmosis versions because there was no need for it so I don't know how it appears in the log.

• Like 1

Well it's not working here. Maybe it's something with my Z68. I avoided 894 as long as I could but I need it for Yosemite.

Can you have a look at the bdmesg output and show me where it loads kexts from your EFI partition? The only mention of the EFI partition in my bdmesg log is where it lists the folder paths at the start.

I never tried loading kexts from EFI with the earlier Ozmosis versions because there was no need for it so I don't know how it appears in the log.

Now i'm on MacBook Pro, because i've already sold my Z87X-UD4H, but i think if the latest kozlek fakesmc works with the 828M, the 894M should also works. But the path from where the kexts are loaded is: EFI/ QUO/ Extensions/ Common/. Normally if you use kozlek FakeSMC, you have to put the same one in bios and in EFI partition with all its sensors in EFI/...../Common path, but i think you have to put it in two drives, one for Mavericks and the other one for Yosemite. It's like that the OS X has worked for me. 

I don't know if this link can help you, there's a lot of Mac's ACPI tables and etc..... witch are from RAMALAMA " :thanks_speechbubble: ". 

u can use latest kozlek fakesmc with plugins if u install in SLE and no in firmware.

If u add ssdt created using ssdtprgen to your firmware it will have right powermanagment like clover.

i tried it.

the result is that fakesmc's sensor don't load.

using ssdt created using ssdtprgen doesn't give me a perfect 100% power management, let's say a 99,8% perfect

@the king this laptop has ami firmware it's base on h76 chipset

You need to read again my quote, and BTW your laptop has Intel HM76 that is mobile chipset, and no is not supported.

And my nick is "THe KiNG" .

i tried it.

the result is that fakesmc's sensor don't load.

using ssdt created using ssdtprgen doesn't give me a perfect 100% power management, let's say a 99,8% perfect

U are doing something wrong,nothing more to say.

Riley! I've looked at your board P8Z68-V/GEN3 in ASUS website, and i just want to tell you, it's a very-good board  :yes:  ^_^ .

Thanks. It's served me well so far alright :)

@xelanaiznac: FakeSMC should load ok from /S/L/E. I've had 5.3.901 and 6.9.1315 working here with CPU and GPU sensor plugins. I have slice's FakeSMC 3.3.1 in the BIOS.