HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

hello it seems that my MSRs is also locked, what should i do with it? and what do you mean : 

What do i suppose to do? add a kext and inject?

Yes, you must install patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. It is very common.

• Like 1

Principally for @mnfesq:

Your HDMI port working?

Mine not, When I insert HDMI cable, 2nd display receive signal but it's disturbed and images are "twisted"... Audio also!

Someone know how fix? (We talk about an HP ENVY 17-3200CTO with HD 4000 and AMD R. 7850 - Ivy Bridge)

Principally for @mnfesq:

Your HDMI port working?

Mine not, When I insert HDMI cable, 2nd display receive signal but it's disturbed and images are "twisted"... Audio also!

Someone know how fix? (We talk about an HP ENVY 17-3200CTO with HD 4000 and AMD R. 7850 - Ivy Bridge)

My HDMI port has NOT worked correctly.  Until this week, I did not have an HDMI monitor to use for testing but I just got one so I will try to get it working.  I DO have it working for my Zotac Zbox ID83, which has the HD4000 and H67 chipset.  The difference is that the bios allows me to change the VRAM and the number of ports is also different.  The ig-platform-id is different for the Zotac than HP Envy and the id I use on the Zotac doesn't work on the HP.  There is a way to patch the capri frame buffer kext to change the VRAM.  It might help to get the HDMI to work.  I'll let you know.

OK, I was able to get HDMI to work.  This required that I change the DSM Method for GFX0 in my DSDT.  Either 0x01660001 or 0x01660003 work (I'm sure others would work as well).  HOWEVER, when I get HDMI working, I lose my internal display.  The reason for that is quite simple.  HP does not allow us to change the video memory in the BIOS and it is locked at 32 mb.  None of the ig-platform-ids that work with 32 mb of video memory have both LVDS and HDMI.  There may be a way to have Clover override the DSDT when you know you want to use HDMI rather than the internal display.  Otherwise, you would have to edit your DSDT every time you want to switch between the internal display and HDMI.  Still, this is progress, and, like video-switching, it may be that it leads to a dead end due to limitations created by the HP BIOS.

Right, I hate HP BIOS!

But, it's interesting and I would edit DSDT for enable my hdmi monitor, then I must edit the DSM method in GFX0, but where I put this value 0x01660001? 

It looks like this:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{
                If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                        0x03
                    })
                }
                Return (Package (0x08)
                {
                    "AAPL00,DualLink", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                        0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                    }, 
                    "hda-gfx", 
                    Buffer (0x0A)
                    {
                        "onboard-1"
                    }, 
                    "AAPL,snb-platform-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                        0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00
                    }, 
                    "AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                        0x04, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
                    }
                })
            }

The numbers in red translate to 01660004.  You need to change the 4 to another number.  I believe that 1, 3, a or b would all work since all of these open up the HDMI port.

It looks like this:

The numbers in red translate to 01660004.  You need to change the 4 to another number.  I believe that 1, 3, a or b would all work since all of these open up the HDMI port.

Okay,

I understand...

I'll test it tomorrow, I'll let you know, thanks :)

Would that DSDT edit work for my Intel 4600 with Device ID 0416, Rev 06 because I tried to look for a way to patch the framebuffer, but no good guide is available? I posted before that the only values that would boot into Mac OS X is "02001604" and "0300220d" with the first having graphics corruption when opening up Finder, while the other value, I need my TV connected through HDMI to boot and I only get no corruption when my computer goes to sleep, but my laptop display doesn't work. If it helps, the last three values (13-15) produces a complete black laptop display when Mac OS boots. I know I asked a lot before and I appreciate any help you can give because it looks like this problem is only at my end and I would like to get it fixed. Also could the fact that my Nvidia 740m is not detecting properly, be causing this? Thanks again.

@mnfesq 

I'm here, after some test, mnfesq you're right, hdmi work (change 4 with 1, see mnfesq's post #182) only if the cable is inserted before  put on the laptop, if you insert it before, the images are so scratched and doesn't work.

Audio doesn't working, but that was only a test for my curiosity.

Which kext you use for battery? Still SmartBattery? It's full working?

After this, I tested some SMBIOS changes... It because I want that my lappy look like an most recent version of macbook pro...

So, I installed Clover Configurator and inserted some values...

Now, I've that:

screen_cpu_0_1.png

screen_cpu_0_4.png

screen_cpu_1_3.png

screen_cpu_1_4.png

Reading your topics, I know that you have full and native speed step with your SMBIOS.

With mine, it's look like yours?

For serial number, mine is generated, I need one give from any macbook pro? 

I'm still using Smart Battery and it works fine.  As for speedstep, I use the MacBookPro 8,3.  That's mid-2011, I believe, and it shows the display as 17-inch.  It's not always best to use the newest SMBIOS.  You need the one that works best with your laptop.  Chameleon Wizard has an SMBIOS generator.  Try that out.  It includes a proper serial number for each SMBIOS.

My Envy-15-J063CL came with a BCM4352 802.11ac card. Works OOB, as the device ID (14e4:43b1) is directly recognized by stock OS X drivers.

I have the same card now, same ids too. Mine required a DSDT injection faking it to a 43a0 in order for the wireless to work natively and the bluetooth required a kext injection. The wireless method is fine since it's relatively future-proof but the bluetooth could eventually be patched up. Did you set yours up this way too or do you have a better, more vanilla method for the bluetooth?

I have the same card now, same ids too. Mine required a DSDT injection faking it to a 43a0 in order for the wireless to work natively and the bluetooth required a kext injection. The wireless method is fine since it's relatively future-proof but the bluetooth could eventually be patched up. Did you set yours up this way too or do you have a better, more vanilla method for the bluetooth?

Actually, I must have had a lapse in memory of what I did. I used an injector/enabler kext for both WiFi and BT.

FYI: Using an enabler/injector (officially referred to as codeless kexts in Apple documentation) is just as native as having the support written directly into the original Info.plist. The only exception is when Apple changes/re-arranges their bundle-ids or class names, but generally it is "update proof."

Actually, I must have had a lapse in memory of what I did. I used an injector/enabler kext for both WiFi and BT.FYI: Using an enabler/injector (officially referred to as codeless kexts in Apple documentation) is just as native as having the support written directly into the original Info.plist. The only exception is when Apple changes/re-arranges their bundle-ids or class names, but generally it is "update proof."

Oh OK. thanks for clearing that up. I was under the assumption you used dsdt injections for both wireless and Bluetooth to get oob support. Could you be so kind as to upload your injector kexts? I'd like to at least examine them if not use the Bluetooth one myself.

Oh OK. thanks for clearing that up. I was under the assumption you used dsdt injections for both wireless and Bluetooth to get oob support. Could you be so kind as to upload your injector kexts? I'd like to at least examine them if not use the Bluetooth one myself.

The one I used is from the ProBook Installer, and I added the BT device.  This version may have made it into the ProBook Installer in the current version by now, although I'm not sure.  The one I'm using is attached.

ProBookARPT.kext.zip

The one I used is from the ProBook Installer, and I added the BT device.  This version may have made it into the ProBook Installer in the current version by now, although I'm not sure.  The one I'm using is attached.

Appreciate it but sadly the kext injector doesn't work for my setup. I assume it's probably because of my dsdt injection for my wireless. I'll stick with my current setup unless I get bored enough to play around with the injector kext to fix it for my specific setup. I am sure it's easy enough to do, so at some point i'll look into getting it done.

Now, onto new stuff. Congrats on the XCPM fix RehabMan! Your work on it really helped a lot of people out, including myself. So, thank you. :)

Got a question for you about it though. How are you able to use the new MBP11,2 smbios and boot into Mavericks? Are you using Chameleon? I ask because I did some more research into a discussion I believe we had once concerning the new Haswell MBPs using a different build of Mavericks than what is currently offered to the general public via the App Store. My findings say I was correct. The new MBPs all run build 13A2093/13A3017 vs my current (and most people's current too I assume) build of 13A603. Because of this change, I am unable to use a MBP11,1-3 board-id with my machine and be able to boot using Clover. It is a minor issue that will eventually be solved through an update but I'd like to resolve it sooner if possible. Especially since I don't rely on Chameleon as a primary boot loader. Have you done any testing with Clover and/or found a way around this without having to mod the {censored} out of more system files?

Appreciate it but sadly the kext injector doesn't work for my setup. I assume it's probably because of my dsdt injection for my wireless. I'll stick with my current setup unless I get bored enough to play around with the injector kext to fix it for my specific setup. I am sure it's easy enough to do, so at some point i'll look into getting it done.

I'm not sure why the injector would interfere with DSDT-based injection, but ok...

Now, onto new stuff. Congrats on the XCPM fix RehabMan! Your work on it really helped a lot of people out, including myself. So, thank you. :)

Hey, I'm just glad to have figured out what I did wrong with the patch prior to my building the kernel without xcpm. It really bugged me that it didn't work originally... Next time I'll remember to always check my work (eg. disassemble the patched file and code-review).

But I learned a bunch of things in the process...

Got a question for you about it though. How are you able to use the new MBP11,2 smbios and boot into Mavericks? Are you using Chameleon? I ask because I did some more research into a discussion I believe we had once concerning the new Haswell MBPs using a different build of Mavericks than what is currently offered to the general public via the App Store. My findings say I was correct. The new MBPs all run build 13A2093/13A3017 vs my current (and most people's current too I assume) build of 13A603. Because of this change, I am unable to use a MBP11,1-3 board-id with my machine and be able to boot using Clover. It is a minor issue that will eventually be solved through an update but I'd like to resolve it sooner if possible. Especially since I don't rely on Chameleon as a primary boot loader. Have you done any testing with Clover and/or found a way around this without having to mod the {censored} out of more system files?

I'm using Chameleon. You cannot use Clover because boot.efi fails with the unrecognized board-id. Just a guess, but I think probably updating just boot.efi would fix the problem.

For Clover boot now with xcpm use iMac14,2.

I'm not sure why the injector would interfere with DSDT-based injection, but ok...

Purely a guess on my part. The reason my dsdt works is because it device id fakes a supported airport. Since I don't believe it is included in the kext injector you uploaded, my bluetooth fails to be recognized, like it's looking for my bluetooth in the wrong place or something. I don't really know, didn't bother to investigate it. If I get time, I will.

Hey, I'm just glad to have figured out what I did wrong with the patch prior to my building the kernel without xcpm. It really bugged me that it didn't work originally... Next time I'll remember to always check my work (eg. disassemble the patched file and code-review).

But I learned a bunch of things in the process...

I know how that is. Sort of like how not having my superior GeForce working with OS X is really bugging me. I can't tell you how many tests i've run just to see what the results would be. Still, because of your work, I can finally use iCloud, lol. So I appreciate it. :)

I'm using Chameleon. You cannot use Clover because boot.efi fails with the unrecognized board-id. Just a guess, but I think probably updating just boot.efi would fix the problem.

Agreed. Although I would probably want to update the PlatformSupport.plist too, just to be safe. I was just hoping you had said boot.efi file. The only other alternative is to wait for 10.9.1 and that might be a ways off still.

For Clover boot now with xcpm use iMac14,2.

Why use that instead of say, the MBA6,1? Also, how is your cpu ssdt setup now? I removed the ivy bridge plugin-type I had in there before, so I could get the MBP8,3 working but since using your fix for XCPM support, my speedstep and p-states have gone to hell. Do I need to add the plugin-type back now? I ask purely because I haven't tested it yet. I figure asking first can potentially save me wasted time and effort later. :)

Purely a guess on my part. The reason my dsdt works is because it device id fakes a supported airport. Since I don't believe it is included in the kext injector you uploaded, my bluetooth fails to be recognized, like it's looking for my bluetooth in the wrong place or something. I don't really know, didn't bother to investigate it. If I get time, I will.

Bluetooth is usually USB, separate from WiFi which is on PCIe.

I know how that is. Sort of like how not having my superior GeForce working with OS X is really bugging me. I can't tell you how many tests i've run just to see what the results would be. Still, because of your work, I can finally use iCloud, lol. So I appreciate it. :)

I didn't even realize there is an issue with iCloud... So OS X will disable certain Apple services if you're using a built-from-source kernel, but not disable the same services using a patched kernel? Weird.

Agreed. Although I would probably want to update the PlatformSupport.plist too, just to be safe. I was just hoping you had said boot.efi file. The only other alternative is to wait for 10.9.1 and that might be a ways off still.

There is no update to boot.efi in 10.9.1 (yet). But maybe boot.efi just reads PlatformSupport.plist. Hmmm...

FYI: No update to PlatformSupport.plist (yet) either...

Why use that instead of say, the MBA6,1? Also, how is your cpu ssdt setup now? I removed the ivy bridge plugin-type I had in there before, so I could get the MBP8,3 working but since using your fix for XCPM support, my speedstep and p-states have gone to hell. Do I need to add the plugin-type back now? I ask purely because I haven't tested it yet. I figure asking first can potentially save me wasted time and effort later. :)

I would think MacBookAir6,x would work as well. My SSDT is using plugin-type=1. The general rule is that your SSDT should match your board-id/smbios. If you're using an Ivy/Haswell board-id/smbios, then use plugin-type=1. If using Sandy board-id/smbios, then use an SSDT that omits plugin-type.

I didn't even realize there is an issue with iCloud... So OS X will disable certain Apple services if you're using a built-from-source kernel, but not disable the same services using a patched kernel? Weird.

I think it had more to do with XCPM not being enabled for the CPU, or mismatched CPU with model identifiers. Before gaining XCPM through your fix, I would receive endless login "errors" when trying to setup iCloud. After the fix, it immediately worked and I have had no problems since.

There is no update to boot.efi in 10.9.1 (yet). But maybe boot.efi just reads PlatformSupport.plist. Hmmm...

FYI: No update to PlatformSupport.plist (yet) either...

I was under the impression that you had a friend with a MBP11,x. I was sort of hinting that maybe you'd "borrow" their boot.efi & PlatformSupport.plist for me since I do not have any other method of obtaining those files.  :whistle:

I would think MacBookAir6,x would work as well. My SSDT is using plugin-type=1. The general rule is that your SSDT should match your board-id/smbios. If you're using an Ivy/Haswell board-id/smbios, then use plugin-type=1. If using Sandy board-id/smbios, then use an SSDT that omits plugin-type.

Er...Typo on my part. I meant to say I removed the sandy bridge plugin type I had before. My mistake. I think you answered my question anyway though. So yes, I should add my previous plugin-type back in and retest. :)

I was under the impression that you had a friend with a MBP11,x. I was sort of hinting that maybe you'd "borrow" their boot.efi & PlatformSupport.plist for me since I do not have any other method of obtaining those files.  :whistle:

I'm thinking the same thing, but I won't see her (or her MacBookPro) until December sometime...

In the meantime, I'll experiment w/ the PlatformSupport.plist as well.

I'm thinking the same thing, but I won't see her (or her MacBookPro) until December sometime...

In the meantime, I'll experiment w/ the PlatformSupport.plist as well.

Darn. Oh well. Thanks. I'll search the inter webs for the required files and see what turns up.

Has anyone here actually had an install of either chameleon or clover on the internal hard drive on an Envy j0xx yet or just off a USB like stated earlier in this thread?

Yup! I've installed Clover on mine as my primary boot loader. It works great! Although, It was several versions back when I tested it, I did attempt a Chameleon install too but it didn't write to the boot sector properly and would give the boot0 error at startup. Easily fixed issue but I didn't care enough to bother fixing it. I do keep Chameleon on USB for backup and testing though, so I always have it around. It just rarely ever gets used anymore.

Yup! I've installed Clover on mine as my primary boot loader. It works great! Although, It was several versions back when I tested it, I did attempt a Chameleon install too but it didn't write to the boot sector properly and would give the boot0 error at startup. Easily fixed issue but I didn't care enough to bother fixing it. I do keep Chameleon on USB for backup and testing though, so I always have it around. It just rarely ever gets used anymore.

Thats good to know, I am about to do that today then, I am assuming you installed clover to the ~260MB EFI partition on the hard drive! 

I think i might have found a graphical bug, either with QE/CI or maybe just Mavericks itself .... look at the iTunes icon in the screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/PunBM51.png

Also shout out to Rehabman for his mach_kernel patch as well as this VoodooPS2 driver, I have three finger swipe multitouch working nice for me now, couldn't imagine that ever getting to work when I did my last laptop.

If there is any additional testing that y'all want me to do just let me know, got a working installation over here.

Update:

Installed Clover to my hard drive, works fine now! Looked into it it looks like and I'm hoping that graphical glitch was with iTunes itself as a reinstall of iTunes fixed it. All I need now is to get my login to iCloud working

@gygabyte666

Can you boot (using Clover) "without caches"? I'm having some issues where I can only boot if I have a kernel cache (and use it).

See here for some discussion/background: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2562&st=11800&p=37514&&do=findComment&comment=37514

Since your computer is very similar... wondering if you have the same issue (note you must have FSInject-64.efi to be able force cacheless boot).