HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

The only keys I remapped using Custom ADB are my two brightness keys. The remaining media keys are not edited in that kext since they already work like they should.

You mapped F2/F3, not the brightness keys, but if that works for you that's great.

Lol, yes, I knew how to remove my password from being required on wake. I suppose I didn't make that clear initially. *oops >_>*

That wasn't what I suggested. I suggested changing the timeout to something other than immediate (5 seconds works).

You mapped F2/F3, not the brightness keys, but if that works for you that's great.That wasn't what I suggested. I suggested changing the timeout to something other than immediate (5 seconds works).

Correct. Since I do not have the info to fix my brightness keys, that was the only option I had at the time. Did you come across a fix?

Ah, I see. My mistake. I suppose I could probably live with that. When I can, I'll test it out.

Have you tested 5GHz?

According to this topic, it seems only 2.4GHz is usable for BCM4352.

I will probably be picking one of these up soon. Lucky for me, a friend of mine has one. They don't need it and said I could get it from them for dirt cheap. I'm planning to pay $25 for it, assuming it's the right card. :)

I have the same computer Envy 17 j-070 with the same specs as your first page says and I can't get my Intel HD 4600 to work. I have gotten it to change to the correct resolution when used IntelAzulFB, but the one time I got QE/CI with value 7, other reboots have produced the white screen for a second, then the black verbose screen with cursor which I then have to reboot the computer. When I did get QE/CI, I had lots of corruption but it worked with HDMI. I am not sure if this screwed it up, but I went into Display, when it worked and accidently changed the color profile when my TV was connected and now the only IntelAzulFB that works is value 9 which included my device id 0416, but that value doesn't enable QE/CI and I have text corruption. I have tried your InjectIntel-ig of 0600260a, but not sure if you meant that or ig-platform-inject. My question is if you could provide me with your org.chameleon.Boot.plist to see if I left out a command that could be causing this issue? Thanks for the help and guide!

I have the same computer Envy 17 j-070 with the same specs as your first page says and I can't get my Intel HD 4600 to work. I have gotten it to change to the correct resolution when used IntelAzulFB, but the one time I got QE/CI with value 7, other reboots have produced the white screen for a second, then the black verbose screen with cursor which I then have to reboot the computer. When I did get QE/CI, I had lots of corruption but it worked with HDMI. I am not sure if this screwed it up, but I went into Display, when it worked and accidently changed the color profile when my TV was connected and now the only IntelAzulFB that works is value 9 which included my device id 0416, but that value doesn't enable QE/CI and I have text corruption. I have tried your InjectIntel-ig of 0600260a, but not sure if you meant that or ig-platform-inject. My question is if you could provide me with your org.chameleon.Boot.plist to see if I left out a command that could be causing this issue? Thanks for the help and guide!

If you're using Chameleon, you need "Graphics Mode"=1920x1080x32 as well as IntelAzulFB=12 (otherwise you'll have strange flickering/corruption).

Yeah I tried that and I haven't been able to get any qe/ci like I did before. The only number that allows boot now is 9 bit but since HDMI and text corruption exist, I know it can't be the right one. Could it be a corrupted file now because whatever number I use, I get full resolution but the black screen with the verboses cursor after the white screen? I originally used myhack to get my computer even to boot past the bootloader and this is what my org.chamemelon

Boot.plist commands looks like:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

<key>IntelAzulFB</key>

<string>12</string>

<key>kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

I hope this has helped because I have been looking around to see how to do it but it doesn't seem to be working.

Yeah I tried that and I haven't been able to get any qe/ci like I did before. The only number that allows boot now is 9 bit but since HDMI and text corruption exist, I know it can't be the right one. Could it be a corrupted file now because whatever number I use, I get full resolution but the black screen with the verboses cursor after the white screen? I originally used myhack to get my computer even to boot past the bootloader and this is what my org.chamemelon

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<key>IntelAzulFB</key>

<string>12</string>

<key>kernel</key>

I hope this has helped because I have been looking around to see how to do it but it doesn't seem to be working.

I recommend doing a retail install. It is the only way for you to know exactly what you have. Your settings look fine for a Chameleon setup. But it also depends on having the proper kexts installed (eg. untouched retail kexts), and having the correct smbios setup. You can always boot "-f" to verify that the kexts are loading or to expose problems with kernel cache.

Yeah maybe that's it. When I was experimenting with trying to boot normally before, I actually removed the Intel Graphics drivers, but when I realized it was a problem with disk permissions and not using GraphicsEnabler, I re-added them. I got the Mavericks image from App Store and just used a bootable usb to install Maverick. When I installed Maverick and replaced the kernel with yours, did you have to create the Extra folder with the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file? When I first installed Maverick, it didn't have it and I had to use Myhack to let me boot past the bootloader. Just installing Chameleon onto the drive didn't create it.

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<key>IntelAzulFB</key>

<string>12</string>

<key>kernel</key>

You should not care too much about a working hdmi port. You should first try to get your LVDS proper working without any artifacts and glitches. HDMI perhaps needs a hex edit of framebuffer, espacially if you want ot get also audio over it working.

I suggest, to reinstall all vanilla kext for your gfx of S/L/E of your usb installer to S/L/E of your hd install, if you have altered some of them. Use for this task your prefered Kext Utiliy. Do not forget to repair permissons. Then you should boot in single user mode in your hd install, delete all the content of S/L/Caches, reboot directly from single user mode and boot with the same configuaration (arguments, that have worked before to get QE/CI) you had success.

To install OSX on non Apple hardware, one must be patient and do one step after the other and not various at the same time.

The best bet for you should also be to get Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your partially working install to an other partion with installing your bootloader in standard mode on that clone.

Try to boot from your clone. If this works, experement on only one clone at the same time. If something does not work, on the install you are working on, you can easy correct this things, even if you can not boot anymore to your experimental partiton.  You just have to boot from your clone to be able to correct the things not working. If you get a complete messup and have a clone, you just have to clone it back, doing the same steps, you have done by first time cloning.

If you have made big effords, clone the install and so on....

Installing in the way, I have told above, has more then one time saved my scalp. :)

Have fun.

Thanks I'll try. I know my USB install partition doesn't have all the same kexts that a vanilla install does so I might just reinstall. I have my install on a USB currently so if it doesn't work out, no big.

Edit: I downloaded all the files on the first page and will replace my extra/extensions files. I noticed in your readme file on the 10.9 files that it says you have to add the SMserial back into smbios.plist, how will I do that? 

Correct. Since I do not have the info to fix my brightness keys, that was the only option I had at the time. Did you come across a fix?

No fix. I did some experimentation with ACPI/WMI, but the keys do not generate any Notify on WMID. It could be that Windows puts the keyboard controller in a different mode, or perhaps it calls some WMI methods upon receipt of the bright up/down PS2 code. Maybe I'll experiment with that... But I'm having trouble finding the motivation since the laptop is probably going back. The fan is too annoying (it's too bad, because I liked the rest of the laptop). I'm going to look a little more in the fan issue after putting the Windows HDD back in, but the first time I looked (via RW-Everything) I didn't see any obvious leads.

No fix. I did some experimentation with ACPI/WMI, but the keys do not generate any Notify on WMID. It could be that Windows puts the keyboard controller in a different mode, or perhaps it calls some WMI methods upon receipt of the bright up/down PS2 code. Maybe I'll experiment with that... But I'm having trouble finding the motivation since the laptop is probably going back. The fan is too annoying (it's too bad, because I liked the rest of the laptop). I'm going to look a little more in the fan issue after putting the Windows HDD back in, but the first time I looked (via RW-Everything) I didn't see any obvious leads.

That's a shame. It would have been nice to have my brightness keys working without having to add fn to them. Oh well.

Your fan is really that loud? Mine will crank if it heats up as usual but it's nothing I can't overlook and honestly it really isn't that loud to me. Then again, this computer was bought to replace my outdated MacBook1,1 which has the most obnoxious fan of any laptop i've ever heard. Sounds like a 747 about to take off and I hated it. So, I suppose maybe I just don't notice it much for that reason. Besides, i'd rather have a super loud fan that cools well than a quiet one that's virtually useless. You know, you could always look into just getting a replacement fan if it bothers you that much. ;p

If you do decide to return yours, could you do me a favor and upload your files before you trash the install? I'm interested to see why your machine can get CPU support with a MBP8,3 smbios and mine cannot. Might be worthwhile to see if I can further enhance my speed stepping and turbo. Thanks :)

Your fan is really that loud?

I'm very picky about fan noise. All my desktop builds use quiet fans (usually Noctua). And for my 4530s, I took it apart and put a couple of diodes inline to the fan circuit to lower the voltage to the fan.

If you do decide to return yours, could you do me a favor and upload your files before you trash the install? I'm interested to see why your machine can get CPU support with a MBP8,3 smbios and mine cannot. Might be worthwhile to see if I can further enhance my speed stepping and turbo. Thanks :)

I thought we nailed the issue with MPB8,3 due to the fact that you were using an "Ivy style" SSDT... That is, if you're going to try a Sandy smbios, you also have to remove the injection of plugin-type from SSDT. Otherwise the result is non-functioning PM. It happens because plugin-type causes X86PlatformPlugin to load and X86PlatformPlugin looks for a plist that matches the board-id. For a MBP8,3 board-id, X86PlatfromPlugin will not find it, so no PM... You want ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin to load, so no plugin-type in SSDT.

I've downloaded the 10.9 files and am wondering if I need to add anything to the included smbios.plist? The op included readme says about changing the SMboardserial and SMserial since he removed his and that don't boot using the smbios file. Where can I get the info and can I just boot without the smbios?

I've downloaded the 10.9 files and am wondering if I need to add anything to the included smbios.plist? The op included readme says about changing the SMboardserial and SMserial since he removed his and that don't boot using the smbios file. Where can I get the info and can I just boot without the smbios?

Perhaps this will help you...

#AFAIK, the number below isn't actually needed. So feel free to delete this one, I already have.
<ADD17DIGITSHERE> <--Make a random 17 digit serial. Use numbers and uppercase letters.

#This is the one that's important. The last 4 digits of all real Mac serials are model-identifiers. Only change it if you want a different model.
<ADD8DIGITSHERE>FR1M <--Add 8 random digits to the model-identify, "FR1M". So the total digits should be 12 total. Use numbers and uppercase letters.

Alternatively, download Chameleon Wizard here and use the smbios feature to generate a serial for you.

======================POST MERGE======================

Based on RehabMan's success, I compiled kernels for both 10.9 and 10.8.5 that do NOT include XCPM, so they will not cause instant reboots on machines that suffer from them. Both kernels were tested and working.

Added benefit of this is since the kernels are vanilla (minus XCPM), the previous requirement of rolling back to a 10.8.4 ACPIPlatform no longer needs to be done. My 10.8.5 files on the 1st post need to be updated now but I don't have time today. So, for the time being, ignore the kernel and ACPIPlatform included in the archive and instead use the new XCPM-free kernel I posted.

Both kernels can now be found on the 1st post. Enjoy!  :)

With using your files before you updated today and Rehab's kernel, I get everything working, but if I use your injected value of "0600260a," I get a black screen on verbose with the white verbose cursor. Before, I tried different IntelAzulFB values and I am afraid that it screwed up my Display, as 02001604 is the only injected value that doesn't result in the black screen with cursor problem. Unfortunately, I can't keep that value because it results in text corruption and no transparent taskbar. If it helps, I got QE/CI with value 0000260c and working HDMI, but when my TV was connected, I did something with the Color options in Display and every since that boot, it never worked again. I do get my laptop display to blink on your value but it just immediately goes to a white screen, followed by the black screen. What is odd is it works in safe mode but of course no QE/CI. Thanks for your help. Is there any default Display profiles I can load, or do I have to reinstall?

Attached is the black screen that I get after the screen blinks.

post-923358-0-34926200-1384477056_thumb.jpg

With using your files before you updated today and Rehab's kernel, I get everything working, but if I use your injected value of "0600260a," I get a black screen on verbose with the white verbose cursor. Before, I tried different IntelAzulFB values and I am afraid that it screwed up my Display, as 02001604 is the only injected value that doesn't result in the black screen with cursor problem. Unfortunately, I can't keep that value because it results in text corruption and no transparent taskbar. If it helps, I got QE/CI with value 0000260c and working HDMI, but when my TV was connected, I did something with the Color options in Display and every since that boot, it never worked again. I do get my laptop display to blink on your value but it just immediately goes to a white screen, followed by the black screen. What is odd is it works in safe mode but of course no QE/CI. Thanks for your help. Is there any default Display profiles I can load, or do I have to reinstall?

Attached is the black screen that I get after the screen blinks.

That value is for MY specific machine model. If you tried using my value and it didn't work, then that makes your problem pretty obvious. You need a different value or you need to patch the FB to support your hardware. You are already on the right path to fixing it through value testing. There is little anyone else can say or do to help you with it.

HDMI support should be the LEAST of your worries right now. You need to focus on getting the correct FB value first. To reset your display properties to their defaults, try deleting these files and then reboot to see if it helps. Keep in mind, you are doing this AT YOUR OWN RISK! It might screw up your install. You've been warned.

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
/Users/<YOURUSERNAME>/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*

Finally, I've noticed that you seem to have migrated from Rehab's thread to mine after he suggested you create a separate topic for your issues. That said, i'm going to repeat what he already instructed for you to do and I strongly suggest you do it. If you're problems persist, seek assistance through starting your own support thread for your issues.

Ok thanks so much for the help, I will try when I can. The reason why I thought your value would work is because your other specs match my laptop, but I do understand that just a model different in the Envy 17 line would cause it to be different. Last thing I will ask, is it normal that one time when I used value "02001604" that I had the full QE/CI without the text corruption, but other graphic problems? This happened when I left out the Graphics Mode command, but the corruption was too great to continue. The reason why I asked all these questions is I never was so close to get QE/CI, as I had an AMD computer before and I am no programmer, but have intermediate computer skills. 

Edit: One thing I forgot to ask to since I am going to do a reinstall, your new kernel, do I need to put the word "kernel" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to boot? The reason I ask is since I noticed your example from you 10.9 pack, doesn't have it and when I copied your files, I added it in.

Last thing I will ask, is it normal that one time when I used value "02001604" that I had the full QE/CI without the text corruption, but other graphic problems?

Yes, it is normal. It is a perfect example of FB problems.

do I need to put the word "kernel" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to boot? The reason I ask is since I noticed your example from you 10.9 pack, doesn't have it and when I copied your files, I added it in.

No. As long as the kernel isn't renamed, you don't need to add anything to the boot.plist for Chameleon or for Clover to get it to load.

I'm very picky about fan noise. All my desktop builds use quiet fans (usually Noctua). And for my 4530s, I took it apart and put a couple of diodes inline to the fan circuit to lower the voltage to the fan.

Understandable. I am typically the same way but also value their purpose over any noise they could ever cause. Tell you one thing, i'll never have another computer with a fan like my MacBook1,1 did ever again. That thing drove me crazy. So yeah, I totally understand.

I thought we nailed the issue with MPB8,3 due to the fact that you were using an "Ivy style" SSDT... That is, if you're going to try a Sandy smbios, you also have to remove the injection of plugin-type from SSDT. Otherwise the result is non-functioning PM. It happens because plugin-type causes X86PlatformPlugin to load and X86PlatformPlugin looks for a plist that matches the board-id. For a MBP8,3 board-id, X86PlatfromPlugin will not find it, so no PM... You want ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin to load, so no plugin-type in SSDT.

i'm not really familiar with CPUPM and SSDTs, which is why I let Pike's script do the work for me. Could you provide a quick example? Because I haven't touched my CPU SSDT with the exception of the bug-fix you sent me. Ultimately, I figured emulating a Haswell-Mac with my Haswell-CPU was probably the best choice anyway. What exactly would the benefits be, if any to switching to a MBP8,3 CPUPM?

i'm not really familiar with CPUPM and SSDTs, which is why I let Pike's script do the work for me. Could you provide a quick example? Because I haven't touched my CPU SSDT with the exception of the bug-fix you sent me. Ultimately, I figured emulating a Haswell-Mac with my Haswell-CPU was probably the best choice anyway. What exactly would the benefits be, if any to switching to a MBP8,3 CPUPM?

It is probably best that you just use Pike's script to generate a fresh SSDT by giving it the parameters on the command line. Or you could use MaciASL's generator, or you could use RevoGirl's original script. Once you generate one for Sandy Bridge, you can compare it to your Ivy with diffmerge.

The main advantage is more states in between idle and nominal. The iMac power management is set to jump from idle to nominal with no states in between, presumably because it offers better performance and battery life is not a concern for a desktop all-in-one. Probably not the best strategy for a laptop.

Another possibility is to use an Ivy SSDT with an Ivy smbios (eg. MacBookPro9,x). It should work because the Ivy MacBook Pro's are still serviced by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/X86PlatformPlugin (will not be the case in the future, I think). I don't think I've tried that yet...

It is probably best that you just use Pike's script to generate a fresh SSDT by giving it the parameters on the command line. Or you could use MaciASL's generator, or you could use RevoGirl's original script. Once you generate one for Sandy Bridge, you can compare it to your Ivy with diffmerge.

The main advantage is more states in between idle and nominal. The iMac power management is set to jump from idle to nominal with no states in between, presumably because it offers better performance and battery life is not a concern for a desktop all-in-one. Probably not the best strategy for a laptop.

Another possibility is to use an Ivy SSDT with an Ivy smbios (eg. MacBookPro9,x). It should work because the Ivy MacBook Pro's are still serviced by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/X86PlatformPlugin (will not be the case in the future, I think). I don't think I've tried that yet...

I used MaciASL to generate an SSDT for me and it works great.  But curiously, despite the fact that I have an Ivy Bridge chipset, speedstepping works best for me with the MBP8,3 smbios.  As usual, I do not know why this combination works best for me, I just know from experimentation that it does.

OK so I reinstalled Maverick using your kernel and files and here are my results:

After trying all the injected values, I still need to use the Inject value of "02001604" or "0300220d" to boot into OS X. If I use "0300220d", I get QE/CI every time, but I have to connect my TV through HDMI to get past the frozen verbose screen and I get graphics corruption. The corruption is fixed if I go to sleep, but my backlit LVDS doesn't work. So, as you said before I must have to patch the IntelAzulFB to get it to work. Chameleon bootloader shows the class of my card as 0300, so unless I am wrong, I may need to combine the properties of both injected values above to get it to work. I was wondering if there is a good guide that illustrates this? I know I asked a lot and I appreciate any help you can give.

Edit: I forgot to mention that in Maverick, my display is listed as Displayport with those values, should it be LVDS?

OK so I reinstalled Maverick using your kernel and files and here are my results:

After trying all the injected values, I still need to use the Inject value of "02001604" or "0300220d" to boot into OS X. If I use "0300220d", I get QE/CI every time, but I have to connect my TV through HDMI to get past the frozen verbose screen and I get graphics corruption. The corruption is fixed if I go to sleep, but my backlit LVDS doesn't work. So, as you said before I must have to patch the IntelAzulFB to get it to work. Chameleon bootloader shows the class of my card as 0300, so unless I am wrong, I may need to combine the properties of both injected values above to get it to work. I was wondering if there is a good guide that illustrates this? I know I asked a lot and I appreciate any help you can give.

Edit: I forgot to mention that in Maverick, my display is listed as Displayport with those values, should it be LVDS?

The only way to "combine the properties" as you say would be to patch the framebuffer. You'll have to search for a guide on that...

Mine is listed as DisplayPort as well. Laptop displays can be LVDS or eDP. I think this one is eDP.