HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

I know i've been quiet for awhile now but it wasn't for nothing. I have a few interesting things to report. First and foremost, I have my battery and AC adapter supported natively! No more Snow Leopard ACPIPlatform and/or modded SmartBattery kexts! I'm now using the ACPIPlatform kext from 10.8.4 (10.8.5 still KPs) and the original, stock 10.8.5 SmartBattery kext. Proper credit has been added to the first page along with a short and simple how-to.

I also fixed my brightness issues! I am not using GenericBrightness either. It's not native but it's pretty freakin' close. I've had my brightness working on boot for several days now but because sleep would kill it, I have continued to work on it in the hopes of being able to fix that. Well, a couple days later I can finally say that it is done! Again, it needs future fixing since it's not perfect but, it works.

As you can see, a lot has happened. I plan to update my first post soon to reflect all the new goodies. I also intend on adding more references and proper credit for things that helped me out. Finally, I will be updating my setup files soon so that everything is up-to-date again and so everyone can utilize what i've got working!

Check back soon. :)

• Like 2

I know i've been quiet for awhile now but it wasn't for nothing. I have a few interesting things to report. First and foremost, I have my battery and AC adapter supported natively! No more Snow Leopard ACPIPlatform and/or modded SmartBattery kexts! I'm now using the ACPIPlatform kext from 10.8.4 (10.8.5 still KPs) and the original, stock 10.8.5 SmartBattery kext. Proper credit has been added to the first page along with a short and simple how-to.

I also fixed my brightness issues! I am not using GenericBrightness either. It's not native but it's pretty freakin' close. I've had my brightness working on boot for several days now but because sleep would kill it, I have continued to work on it in the hopes of being able to fix that. Well, a couple days later I can finally say that it is done! Again, it needs future fixing since it's not perfect but, it works.

As you can see, a lot has happened. I plan to update my first post soon to reflect all the new goodies. I also intend on adding more references and proper credit for things that helped me out. Finally, I will be updating my setup files soon so that everything is up-to-date again and so everyone can utilize what i've got working!

Just in time to start installing Mavericks.

Heh, yeah I wish.

Sadly, the issues I am having with this machine and Maverick's kernel/ACPIPlatform are just beyond my expertise. I've tried everything I normally would try to get it to boot but nothing ever worked. Having the kernel reboot the machine every attempt became frustrating too. I never even got to the verbose screen. I even went so far as to use another machine to install Mavericks on a USB HDD and starting trying some kext & kernel rollbacks just to see if it would magically fix it so I could boot but it still didn't help. This machine + Mavericks = pain in the a*s. >_>

Unless something pops up to help fix these problems, i'm afraid this machine isn't Mavericks compatable as of currently. Oh well, at least I have Mountian Lion working pretty well! :)

Quick update. I was playing around with Clover's kext patching feature and now I have my HDMI/DisplayPort shown under the Audio section of my System Profiler! Too bad it seems to be cosmetic only and isn't actually working for me. At least, I couldn't figure out how to make it work anyway...  :(

I've been reading that HDMI not working is common with machines that aren't using the right display port value. If I get some time later, i'll try messing around with this some more but for now, this is what i've got. >_<

envy_hdmi_detected.png

Hi guys, 

I've an HP Envy 17-3200CTO like mnfesq's model, He's just know me, i'm also from tonymac86...

Anyway, I'm here for all help can I give you, like tests or other...

I would like to know how you did for the native control the brightness.
What do you mean for native control, it works with the buttons? If so, how did you do? I tried to edit my dsdt (is mnfesq's dsdt) following the guide of "doov6 something" (HPWMI and button codes in DSDT) but I can't compile because it tells me error  "just definied / TNOT."
You've done the same way?

And, for mnfesq:
I'm trying to boot with clover... I remember you that I want/need to boot only via USB Stick.
So I've installed Clover r2236 in it, with your config.plist and your dsdt.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED
When I turn on the pc, it boot until Clover Menu, so i select the Maverick HD (in verbose, kernel cache off/on) but it's show a black screen and after 3-4 seconds PC reboot... Why that?

NB: In boot menu I can move the mouse, it's a fantastic thing lol...

And, for mnfesq:

I'm trying to boot with clover... I remember you that I want/need to boot only via USB Stick.
So I've installed Clover r2236 in it, with your config.plist and your dsdt.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED
When I turn on the pc, it boot until Clover Menu, so i select the Maverick HD (in verbose, kernel cache off/on) but it's show a black screen and after 3-4 seconds PC reboot... Why that?

In newer versions of Clover (made after I posted my config.plist) they made changes and, in order to get Clover to boot right, you need to uncheck Kernel CPU in the kernel and kext patches tab of Clover Configurator.  Here, you can try out my current conflig.plist.

config.plist.zip

In newer versions of Clover (made after I posted my config.plist) they made changes and, in order to get Clover to boot right, you need to uncheck Kernel CPU in the kernel and kext patches tab of Clover Configurator.  Here, you can try out my current conflig.plist.

attachicon.gifconfig.plist.zip

Well, now I can boot with it but only with KernelCache=No and Kexts injection, I have only changed the config.plist with yours, thanks!

This is kexts that I have:

screen1.png

I should have also?

I see also that AMD card is right recognized, now we need only to enable it by bios, but it deny that. Very shame...!

The Radeon 7850M will never work since HP does not allow graphics switching in the BIOS.  There is no software graphics switcher for OS X like the one ATI makes for Windows.  The key for us is to get the most out of our Intel HD4000.  In Mavericks, shared video memory is boosted to 1024 MB from 384 MB in ML.  

The Radeon 7850M will never work since HP does not allow graphics switching in the BIOS.  There is no software graphics switcher for OS X like the one ATI makes for Windows.  The key for us is to get the most out of our Intel HD4000.  In Mavericks, shared video memory is boosted to 1024 MB from 384 MB in ML.  

Yes, or we can hope in a modified bios, but it's really hard to come true!

Anyway, there is enough  :thumbsup_anim:

I would like to know how you did for the native control the brightness.
What do you mean for native control, it works with the buttons? If so, how did you do? I tried to edit my dsdt (is mnfesq's dsdt) following the guide of "doov6 something" (HPWMI and button codes in DSDT) but I can't compile because it tells me error  "just definied / TNOT."
You've done the same way?

I'm a bit late to the party. Sadly, everything I was using I had bookmarked on Safari and my OS X install croaked the other day. :(

I spent the last day or so re-installing everything but as I said, my bookmarks are gone forever so until I can track them all back down, there is little info I can provide you for fixing your brightness. Should have asked this a day or two earlier >_>

Anyway, It's not totally native brightness. I still need to rely on a 3rd party kext to activate it. It's semi-documented on the 1st post. Using a few different posts for reference, I trial & error'd my way into fixing it for this machine. It's far from perfect but it's the most progress i've had yet and all I should need to change is the values until I hit the right ones. Once I locate the threads again, i'll link them on the 1st post so they can't be lost again.

Your next question is fairly easy to answer. I don't have ACPI modifier buttons with my machine. This also is semi-explained on the 1st post. I used the debug version of RehabMan's VoodooPS2 kext; documented several of my keyboard's scan codes and applied those results to the release kext, changing whichever keys I need to change. I have been using kext that since I did it. Sadly, my machine's brightness keys are "seen" by RehabMan's VoodooPS2 debug kext as the same key. What that means is that both of my brightness up / brightness down keys are mapped with identical scan codes. This prevents me from being able to simply remap them to control my brightness like a real Mac would. Instead, I just added the "fn" key to them and remapped them that way.

UPDATE: Found the majority of the links again. You can find them all listed as sources under the Display Brighness Fix on the 1st post of the thread. It's difficult to explain exactly how I got it working, since the majority of my work was code cleanup and fixes to make it match my DSDT/SSDT's needs but the most helpful post for you will probably be the one I linked from jerrywilborn. The other linked posts are very helpful in understanding his code fixes though so they are worth reading and testing also.

Any idea what caused you OS X installation to croak?  My installation has never been so stable.  I have also installed Mavericks on my Zotec Zbox ID83 and it runs great as an i3 Mac Mini.  OS X just keeps getting more and more stable for me.

It wasn't the OS's fault. It was bad/outdated software that caused the failure. I tried installing Snow Leopard's Xcode because I like it more than the recent versions. Guess it wasn't compatible and near the end had a endless KP due to a system monitoring installed kext. The installed kext was freaking out because it was looking for older real Mac hardware and found mine, lol. 

After I removed the kext all was ok but since the install was incomplete, I figured I should try to uninstall it, just to be safe of future KPs. Well, since older Xcode's had so much extra {censored} bundled with them and considering the uninstall scripts are useless for incomplete installations, I had to sift through the entire OS to find what it installed and tried to remove it all. Long story short, after everything was all said and done, I could still boot just fine but I had extra warnings popping up in my console logs and didn't like them. So, I decided it was time for a fresh install.

In retrospect, I probably should have given it a day or so longer before I did it so I could make sure I had everything backed up (Safari bookmarks) but it was the only free time I had to do it for awhile and I was in a hurry to get it done. I usually do a clean install after initial osx86 setup testing is near finished on a new machine anyway so it was about time it happened. Got the links back so all is well IMO. :)

Guess I gotta get use to the newer Xcode's *bleh*. Now I have to get back to my HDMI audio testing. :)

Kind of a random question but I've had no issues. I'm gonna call that a mouse problem.

Maybe, but with other Hackintosh doesn't... But don't is really problem...

Anyway, another random question: I can associate/sign in my APPLE#ID (that I use for my iphone, very important account) with the hackintosh, or I can be banned from apple?

@gygabyte666 - Good job recovering your personalized data.  I use time machine frequently and it has saved my ass on several occasions. It is probably the one app in OS X that I really love, particularly since Windows back up is so poor in comparison.  What kinds of things do you do with Xcode?  I have used it only a few times.  I'm not an app developer and use my hackintosh primarily for entertainment.  It appears to be a very complex set of apps to me.

Thanks to the work of RehabMan, I have now upgraded my machine setup to Mavericks! All future fixes and updates I post should be considered to have ONLY been tested with 10.9.x, unless otherwise stated.

Anyone interested in more info should visit RehabMan's thread here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

Basically everything that worked under 10.8.5, works the same for my machine under 10.9. The only exception is ACPIBacklight, which currently isn't working under Mavericks. RehabMan and I have both confirmed this and AFAIK, he is looking into getting it fixed. ACPIPlatform no longer requires a rollback either since the kernel being used was built from the native 10.9 sources. Gaining CPUPM support is as easy as using a rollback of AICPUPM from 10.8.5. I will be updating the 1st post as soon as I can to reflect all changes and new files will soon be incoming. :)

@mnfesq, sorry for the late reply. I totally forgot you replied. :(

Yeah, I always keep everything important backed up but I don't use Time Machine. I prefer to manually create recovery disks using clean installations for later/universal use. Typically though, since all of my osx86 installs I consider experimental, I don't create recovery media for them since clean reinstalls are the best way to go usually. I use to do quite a bit with Xcode but most of it was purely for educational purposes. More recently, it's mostly for compiling other people's source work. Other than that the main reason I keep Xcode installed is for all the debugging and system management tools they include that OS X doesn't have otherwise.

Since ACPIBacklight isn't working in Mavericks, I have been doing some native brightness research and long story short, I have native brightness now with no additional kexts required! It does require system kext modification though so it's not totally native. >_>

Sadly, it functions in the same way that GenericBrightness did for me when I first got that working. It can only be activated AFTER the display wakes from sleep. I'm trying to look into fixing it but it isn't easy. If it was, it would already be done and over with. More DSDT edits are in my future. :(

Another small update to something I recently posted is that my HDMI audio is fully supported now and working 100% along side my AppleHDA patch for my secondary audio codec! I originally had a small error on my part that I patched into the frame buffer that was causing my headphone jack to NOT auto-detect when the jack was plugged in and out. Luckily though, I tracked down the issue and have since fixed it so everything in my machine's audio is now working as it should...minus my subwoofer of course but that'll have to wait for another day. Gotta get this brightness nonsense sorted out first.

UPDATE: Sadly, the headphone jack problem is still occurring. I have figured out that usually when the machine wakes from sleep, the headphone port will work again. Maybe this is a Mavericks bug? Minor inconvenience but at the very least, here is the FB patch needed for HDMI audio, which is working very well and has also been added to the first post:

HDMI Audio Fix:

AppleHDA codec injection:
AppleHDA needs patching to allow the HDMI codec to function. This can be done in two ways but I will only cover the one I can verify works. Credits to TimeWalker75a for posting this info. Simply add this to your config.plist for Clover:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>HDAU 0c0b -> 0c0c</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
CwwAAA==
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleHDAController</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
DAwAAA==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>HDAU 0a0c -> 0c0c</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
DAoAAA==
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleHDAController</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
DAwAAA==
</data>
</dict>
</array>
This will patch AppleHDA to allow our HDMI audio codec (0c0c) to load properly. AFAIK, the machine must be booted without caches and the caches must be rebuilt before this patch will work.

Azul Framebuffer bin-patch:
Provided 0x0a260006 is used as the ig-platform-id, HDMI audio support can be added in with a bin patch to AppleIntelFramebufferAzul. Here is what needs fixing:
0600 260A 0103 0303 0000 0002 0000 0001
0000 6000 0000 0040 D90A 0000 D90A 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1000 0200 0000
3000 0000 0105 1200 0004 0000 8700 0000
0204 1200 0004 0000 8700 0000 FF00 0100
0100 0000 4000 0000 0F00 0000 0101 0000
0400 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000
and change it to this:
0600 260A 0103 0303 0000 0002 0000 0001
0000 6000 0000 0040 D90A 0000 D90A 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1000 0200 0000
3000 0000 0105 1200 0004 0000 8700 0000
0204 1200 0008 0000 8700 0000 FF00 0100
0100 0000 4000 0000 0F00 0000 0101 0000
0400 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000
Mavericks will not allow HDMI audio from any other value other than 00 08 00 00 as the connector-type and this edit will fix that. This took me some time to figure out since all the information on framebuffer patching is dedicated to desktop versions of the HD 4600. Enjoy!  :)

Since ACPIBacklight isn't working in Mavericks, I have been doing some native brightness research and long story short, I have native brightness now with no additional kexts required!

Sadly, it functions in the same way that GenericBrightness did for me when I first got that working. It can only be activated AFTER the machine wakes from sleep. I'm trying to look into fixing it but it isn't easy. If it was, it would already be done and over with. More DSDT edits are in my future. :(

Another small update to something I recently posted is that my HDMI audio is fully supported now and working 100% along side my AppleHDA patch for my secondary audio codec! I originally had a small error on my part that I patched into the frame buffer that was causing my headphone jack to NOT auto-detect when the jack was plugged in and out. Luckily though, I tracked down the issue and have since fixed it so everything in my machine's audio is now working as it should...minus my subwoofer of course but that'll have to wait for another day. Gotta get this brightness nonsense sorted out first.

Hey, so what did you do to make native brightness work? And do you have ideas on the brightness not working until after display sleep (I assume that only display sleep is required). We have that same issue on the ProBook... in fact it seems to happen on most laptops in some manner: Sandy/Ivy/and Haswell. We use a utility that I wrote called 'blinkscreen' to just sleep/wake the display at login. It works reasonably well, but is a bit of a hack.

I've been doing some debugging on the ACPI side of things as far as brightness. The problem seems to stem from IGDM SystemMemory not begin setup correctly. I have dumped various parts of it (via my ACPIDebug.kext) and it is all zeros. So, for example, there is a method in DSDT called BRTB, called by BINI. This method appears to look at the EDID of the display (BDDC) to determine what display is being used, which then determines how some (stuff which looks backlight related) gets initialized. By looking at ioreg I can see that my display is 0x15bbae0d, so I can force that value, but it did not help. I believe because this SystemMemory address is wrong or just not working. I'll be doing some more poking around though.

ACPI brightness would be nice to have working as we can control the source code (and fix/enhance it). But without it, native brightness that only works after display sleep is ok

EDIT/FYI: I see only PNLF patch is necessary (I never tested it after sleep, as it does nothing prior...) And... blinkscreen works...

• Like 1

UPDATE: Tried out my dsdt edits to see if they would fix the startup brightness, but they failed. Guess i'm gonna be using blinkscreen until further notice. *sigh* I wish ACPIBacklight could get fixed for Mavericks. :(

The brightness support is native but not without performing some edits to get it working. I wasn't planning on adding the source link until after I had some time to write a similar guide for others to follow. Since I don't know when that'll happen, here is the link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293500-i-found-the-brightnesss-working-principle-and-i-dont-need-genericbrightness-at-all/

I have a MacBookAir6,1 ioreg dump that I used for reference. I would like to find a MacBookPro11,x ioreg dump too but haven't had any luck finding one yet.

Yes, it only requires display sleep and not system sleep (oops) and I haven't the slightest clue why it won't work before it gets it. I did a before/after test to see if anything changes in my ioreg before/after display sleep and I couldn't find any changes at all. I have a couple dsdt edits I want to try out though to see if they help. I had the display sleep problem with ACPIBacklight too until I made a dsdt change that fixed it. I wish I knew what my display's native brightness values were so that I could incorporate them into this edit. Using the MBA6,1 display values are probably way off from my own display but they work fairly well. Worst case scenario I will have to use blinkscreen for the future.

So why does brightness work for me without any problems?  Is it because I have Ivy Bridge and not Haswell?  Is it because I use the 10.6.2 version of ACPIPlatform.kext along with the Generic Brightness kext?  I did add a DSDT edit to get the brightness slider to appear in the display preference pane but I clearly do not have native brightness.  When I first boot up, the brightness is 2 levels below the maximum brightness.  I would prefer it boot to maximum brightness.  I have to increase the brightness to max and use a third party app to map brightness increase/decrease to my F1 and F2 keys.  I'm have a tough time following you and Rehabman's discussion of this issue but I'm doing my best to hang in there with you guys.  Is there anything you'd like me to test out on my Ivy Bridge machine?

So why does brightness work for me without any problems?  Is it because I have Ivy Bridge and not Haswell?  Is it because I use the 10.6.2 version of ACPIPlatform.kext along with the Generic Brightness kext?  I did add a DSDT edit to get the brightness slider to appear in the display preference pane but I clearly do not have native brightness.  When I first boot up, the brightness is 2 levels below the maximum brightness.  I would prefer it boot to maximum brightness.  I have to increase the brightness to max and use a third party app to map brightness increase/decrease to my F1 and F2 keys.  I'm have a tough time following you and Rehabman's discussion of this issue but I'm doing my best to hang in there with you guys.  Is there anything you'd like me to test out on my Ivy Bridge machine?

Try to modify your brightness in this way: http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.at/2013/08/acpi-controlled-keys.html

Have fun.