HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Try to modify your brightness in this way: http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.at/2013/08/acpi-controlled-keys.html

Have fun.

Thanks for the lead.  The code for my HP is so different from the code for the IOWMIFamily.kext.  I got the kext to load but I could not assign brightness up and down to the F Keys.  For now, I'll stick with KeyRemap4MacBook.  It works just fine.

HELP LOCATING A BETTER COMBO CARD:

The time seems right to ask about this. For some stupid reason, HP decided I only needed 1 half-mini slot and I am in need of a replacement. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced half-mini wireless card that's either natively supported, or works using a simple DSDT fix. with OS X? Again, since I only have 1 slot, I would VERY MUCH appreciate it if the recommendation was for a 2-in-1 Bluetooth+Wireless combo card. THANKS!!! ^_^

My Envy-15-J063CL came with a BCM4352 802.11ac card. Works OOB, as the device ID (14e4:43b1) is directly recognized by stock OS X drivers.

Thanks for the lead.  The code for my HP is so different from the code for the IOWMIFamily.kext.  I got the kext to load but I could not assign brightness up and down to the F Keys.  For now, I'll stick with KeyRemap4MacBook.  It works just fine.

I took a look at IOWMIFamily.kext (dolnor) as well. I wasn't able to make it work with my Envy 15-J063CL. I even added some DSDT debugging to see when/if the DSDT was sending any events to the device (with Notify(WMID, ...). Turns out the brightness keys don't generate any Notify events for WMID. And the PS2 codes for each brightness up/down are the same (e02b), which is weird.

So why does brightness work for me without any problems?  Is it because I have Ivy Bridge and not Haswell?  Is it because I use the 10.6.2 version of ACPIPlatform.kext along with the Generic Brightness kext?  I did add a DSDT edit to get the brightness slider to appear in the display preference pane but I clearly do not have native brightness.  When I first boot up, the brightness is 2 levels below the maximum brightness.  I would prefer it boot to maximum brightness.  I have to increase the brightness to max and use a third party app to map brightness increase/decrease to my F1 and F2 keys.  I'm have a tough time following you and Rehabman's discussion of this issue but I'm doing my best to hang in there with you guys.  Is there anything you'd like me to test out on my Ivy Bridge machine?

We are using different methods for brightness. Since 10.9 ACPIBacklight doesn't work anymore so i've since resorted to tricking OS X into thinking I have a natively supported display through patching my info into a MBA6,1 display. For why yours works at boot where mine doesn't, that's the real mystery.

Try to modify your brightness in this way: http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.at/2013/08/acpi-controlled-keys.html

Have fun.

Unless mnfesq's machine actually has ACPI controlled keys, that method won't work. I already tried it with mine and since I don't have ACPI controlled keys, it did nothing. Editing RehabMan's PS2Controller is the best method for me currently.

My Envy-15-J063CL came with a BCM4352 802.11ac card. Works OOB, as the device ID (14e4:43b1) is directly recognized by stock OS X drivers.

I took a look at IOWMIFamily.kext (dolnor) as well. I wasn't able to make it work with my Envy 15-J063CL. I even added some DSDT debugging to see when/if the DSDT was sending any events to the device (with Notify(WMID, ...). Turns out the brightness keys don't generate any Notify events for WMID. And the PS2 codes for each brightness up/down are the same (e02b), which is weird.

Dammit! How did you get that card with your machine? They seriously cheaped out with mine I suppose. I appreciate the info but i've already dived into researching that card. In fact, it was the main card I looked into getting. Unfortunately, i'll probably never be able to afford it, even though I would really like it. The cheapest price I could find it for on eBay was roughly $95 and that is WAAAAAAY too much for a card.

===================================================================

Interesting...

Look what I managed to pull off with a little dsdt/ssdt edit:

envy_igpu_oddity.png

envy_gfx0_oddity.png

If any of your setups are similar to how mine was prior to the edit. Normally both of my GFX cards were listed under displays. However, it seems to have split my card locations, similar to how they would be displayed with a desktop. How odd...Now i'm wondering if this method could be used to get around the Optimus trouble people have experienced.

In case anyone is wondering, the name is being displayed correctly only because of my edit. Notice the drivers aren't loaded so there is no way the driver could be naming it properly. >_>

Unless mnfesq's machine actually has ACPI controlled keys, that method won't work. I already tried it with mine and since I don't have ACPI controlled keys, it did nothing. Editing RehabMan's PS2Controller is the best method for me currently.

The problem with that method is you're actually mapping F2/F3 not Fn+F2/Fn+F3, so you lose the capability to "press" F2/F3.

Dammit! How did you get that card with your machine? They seriously cheaped out with mine I suppose. I appreciate the info but i've already dived into researching that card. In fact, it was the main card I looked into getting. Unfortunately, i'll probably never be able to afford it, even though I would really like it. The cheapest price I could find it for on eBay was roughly $95 and that is WAAAAAAY too much for a card.

I was somewhat surprised as well. Over time, the price will come down on these cards.

===================================================================

Interesting...

Look what I managed to pull off with a little dsdt/ssdt edit:

envy_igpu_oddity.png

envy_gfx0_oddity.png

I don't have an Optimus setup, so not an issue to me. But all that is purely cosmetic. There is still no way that I know of to make Optimus work in OS X.

• Like 1

The problem with that method is you're actually mapping F2/F3 not Fn+F2/Fn+F3, so you lose the capability to "press" F2/F3.

I was somewhat surprised as well. Over time, the price will come down on these cards.

I don't have an Optimus setup, so not an issue to me. But all that is purely cosmetic. There is still no way that I know of to make Optimus work in OS X.

True I have them currently mapped with your PS2Controller using fn+f2/f3, so what are you saying exactly? That it's possible I do have ACPI Keys for those buttons?

Agreed but i'm getting antsy and need to find a new card, so I might just have to make do with an older BT3.0 card.

Yes, that is true it is entirely cosmetic right now and that was my objective, to make sure everything is getting setup properly first and then test out with my HD 4600 off if needed. I'm going to keep playing around with it and see if I get anywhere. Anyone know if there is an smbios that I could use that would give me GFX switching options of some kind? I believe there was dual GFX Macs at one point that had that feature but I am not entirely sure which models they were.

Here is the next set of images for my GeForce testing. This is what i've got now:

envy_igpu_gfx0.png

envy_gfx0_pci.png

If you look carefully, you can see now that the second image has "Driver Installed: Yes" now. This leads me to believe that i'm getting closer. My testing continues...

True I have them currently mapped with your PS2Controller using fn+f2/f3, so what are you saying exactly? That it's possible I do have ACPI Keys for those buttons?

I'm saying you probably didn't actually map Fn+F2/Fn+F3(codes vary), and actually are mapping F2/F3(codes 3c/3d, standard codes for F2/F3). On my laptop Fn+F2 and Fn+F3 generate the same PS2 code (e02b). You may be confused because you have BIOS set to swap them. So when you're pressing F2/F3, you're really pressing Fn+F2/Fn+F3. And when you're pressing Fn+F2/Fn+F3, you're really pressing F2/F3.

Yes, that is true it is entirely cosmetic right now and that was my objective, to make sure everything is getting setup properly first and then test out with my HD 4600 off if needed. I'm going to keep playing around with it and see if I get anywhere. Anyone know if there is an smbios that I could use that would give me GFX switching options of some kind? I believe there was dual GFX Macs at one point that had that feature but I am not entirely sure which models they were.

The problem is not getting the card recognized. The problem is making the switching work. Apple uses different technology for switching than do PCs. They are not compatible. And Apple doesn't document the driver interface for their switching tech.

We are using different methods for brightness. Since 10.9 ACPIBacklight doesn't work anymore so i've since resorted to tricking OS X into thinking I have a natively supported display through patching my info into a MBA6,1 display. For why yours works at boot where mine doesn't, that's the real mystery.

See if you can duplicate my success using the old ACPIPlatform kext on your machine.  If it works, we may be able to dig into that kext to find the solution.  Again, I am using the Generic Brightness kext and the DSDT edit to get the slider to show in display preferences.

The problem is not getting the card recognized. The problem is making the switching work. Apple uses different technology for switching than do PCs. They are not compatible. And Apple doesn't document the driver interface for their switching tech.

Either someone has to come up with an app for GPU switching like the ATI app for windows or HP will have to allow video switching in its BIOS.  

See if you can duplicate my success using the old ACPIPlatform kext on your machine.  If it works, we may be able to dig into that kext to find the solution.  Again, I am using the Generic Brightness kext and the DSDT edit to get the slider to show in display preferences.

When I was debugging the DSDT with ACPIBacklight.kext, I tried 10.8.5 AppleACPIPlatform and the common rollback one from Snow Leopard, I think it was the one from 10.6.8. Changing AppleACPIPlatform.kext didn't change anything. I think it has more to do with the system memory attached to this device not being setup correctly, such that reads/writes from that section of system memory simply aren't talking to the device.

I'm saying you probably didn't actually map Fn+F2/Fn+F3(codes vary), and actually are mapping F2/F3(codes 3c/3d, standard codes for F2/F3). On my laptop Fn+F2 and Fn+F3 generate the same PS2 code (e02b). You may be confused because you have BIOS set to swap them. So when you're pressing F2/F3, you're really pressing Fn+F2/Fn+F3. And when you're pressing Fn+F2/Fn+F3, you're really pressing F2/F3.

I see what you're saying now. You are incorrect though. My BIOS options are not set that way. Even under Windows, I press f2/f3 to decrease/increase the display brightness respectively. On OS X, since editing your PS2Controller, I must press fn+f2/f3 to perform the same function. The problem is because of what I discussed with you before. My f2/f3 scan codes are reported as identical codes, so using your PS2Controller to remap them for brightness adjustment just isn't an option. I could however set that option in my BIOS and resolve the problem entirely but I won't since it will screw up my media keys and everything I do under Windows.

Yes, I am seeing that now. I deleted my IGPU entirely from my SSDT to try to test if I could get the GeForce to function as my primary and I got nothing. So yeah...i'm screwed for now. Guess that concludes my GeForce testing...  :(

When I was debugging the DSDT with ACPIBacklight.kext, I tried 10.8.5 AppleACPIPlatform and the common rollback one from Snow Leopard, I think it was the one from 10.6.8. Changing AppleACPIPlatform.kext didn't change anything. I think it has more to do with the system memory attached to this device not being setup correctly, such that reads/writes from that section of system memory simply aren't talking to the device.

That sucks. Is the driver open source for possible updating to fix the problem? I don't know how active hotKoffy is or how rapidly they push updates out but i'm dying by not having that driver working anymore. My current native trick is working but I need to try to make value adjustments because the setup Apple uses for the MBA6,1 is about half the brightness my display normally has.

That sucks. Is the driver open source for possible updating to fix the problem? I don't know how active hotKoffy is or how rapidly they push updates out but i'm dying by not having that driver working anymore. My current native trick is working but I need to try to make value adjustments because the setup Apple uses for the MBA6,1 is about half the brightness my display normally has.

Am I missing something here?  I don't have an ACPIBacklight.kext.  I have AppleBacklight.kext and AppleBacklightExpert.kext.  Also, my SMBIOS is for MBP8,3.  I would expect the Haswell chipset would result in a newer SMBIOS but I thought mine would be newer than it is.  The MBP8,3 is the only one that gives me great speedstepping.  Might you try to experiment with a different SMBIOS?

ACPIBacklight is a 3rd party kext I was using to get brightness adjustment on 10.8.5. It doesn't work under 10.9 so I am no longer able to use it. I modified AppleBacklight instead to gain "native" brightness without the need for anymore 3rd party kexts. I have already tried out a MBP8,3 smbios and I get better speedstepping using a MBA6,1 smbios. Although I do need to test it out again because I was using my CPU SSDT during my testing and I need to re-test all smbios without it to see if it makes any difference.

I see what you're saying now. You are incorrect though. My BIOS options are not set that way. Even under Windows, I press f2/f3 to decrease/increase the display brightness respectively. On OS X, since editing your PS2Controller, I must press fn+f2/f3 to perform the same function. The problem is because of what I discussed with you before. My f2/f3 scan codes are reported as identical codes, so using your PS2Controller to remap them for brightness adjustment just isn't an option. I could however set that option in my BIOS and resolve the problem entirely but I won't since it will screw up my media keys and everything I do under Windows.

Yes, it is *exactly* as I said then. You have them set to reversed of "normal", so when you press Fn+F2/Fn+F3, you get the *scan codes* of F2/F3 (which are standard since the invention of the original IBM PC keyboard). When you press the F2/F3, you get the *scan codes* of Fn+F2/Fn+F3. This is why on Windows you can press F2/F3 for the media functions... it is due to BIOS reversal of the keyboard controller for these keys. Because normally you get F2/F3 (for use in the application), not system functions for brightness of the display. The codes you remapped via the facilities in the keyboard kext are F2/F3, not Fn+F2/Fn+F3, even though the physical keys you're pressing are Fn+F2/Fn+F3 (because you have them reversed via BIOS).

There is no problem with ACPIBacklight.kext. It is open source, and can be modified, but it won't help to modify it as the problem lies in the way the hardware for HD4600 is being setup, such that the DSDT (in this case SSDT) methods don't work to manipulate brightness. The SystemMemory region that is used in the ACPI code (in SSDT) is not wired up correctly to the device, such that reads/writes are not manipulating the actual hardware device as expected. I suspect this is a difference in the Azul driver...

If the ACPI brightness methods did work, I was planning to modify the kext such that it would gradually adjust the backlight level just like it is on real Apple hardware. Eventually, I may install 10.8.5 just to do some debugging of DSDT to see what is going on in the scenario when it works...

Hi gygabyte666,

For graphic card switching, you can try adding Device (GMUX) into your DSDT. It's a device for real Macs to switch their graphic cards.

If I'm not wrong, you may have to take a look at your ioreg, see if "display0" is able to switch from IGPU to GFX0 or graphic test score grows.

(I personally don't use laptop, so don't blame me if this isn't worked. :P)

Regarding about fingerprint sensor, you can try installing an application call TrueSuite. But I'm not sure if it's compatible with Mavericks, so use it at your own risk.

Make sure you how to uninstall the application or recover your system before trying it.

Yes, it is *exactly* as I said then. You have them set to reversed of "normal", so when you press Fn+F2/Fn+F3, you get the *scan codes* of F2/F3 (which are standard since the invention of the original IBM PC keyboard). When you press the F2/F3, you get the *scan codes* of Fn+F2/Fn+F3. This is why on Windows you can press F2/F3 for the media functions... it is due to BIOS reversal of the keyboard controller for these keys. Because normally you get F2/F3 (for use in the application), not system functions for brightness of the display. The codes you remapped via the facilities in the keyboard kext are F2/F3, not Fn+F2/Fn+F3, even though the physical keys you're pressing are Fn+F2/Fn+F3 (because you have them reversed via BIOS).

There is no problem with ACPIBacklight.kext. It is open source, and can be modified, but it won't help to modify it as the problem lies in the way the hardware for HD4600 is being setup, such that the DSDT (in this case SSDT) methods don't work to manipulate brightness. The SystemMemory region that is used in the ACPI code (in SSDT) is not wired up correctly to the device, such that reads/writes are not manipulating the actual hardware device as expected. I suspect this is a difference in the Azul driver...

If the ACPI brightness methods did work, I was planning to modify the kext such that it would gradually adjust the backlight level just like it is on real Apple hardware. Eventually, I may install 10.8.5 just to do some debugging of DSDT to see what is going on in the scenario when it works...

You sir have officially confused me. Let me make this as simple as I can so there is no way it could be mixed up. In my BIOS, the option to set my media keys (f1-f12) to require the use of the fn+ key is NOT enabled. When running Windows, I simple press the brightness down button and the display brightness will decrease. I do NOT have to press the fn+brightness down key to make this happen. The same applies to all media keys when using Windows. OS X might be a different matter. Outside of the very minimal testing I did using your PS2Controller to get the scan codes, I have no experience in this matter so I can not confidently comment about it further. The only thing I know for certain is that my mute/vol down/vol up/previous track/pause&play/next track and WiFiBT toggle buttons (f6-f12) all work normally when using OS X.

If you make any progress with ACPIBacklight under 10.9, I do hope you'll post about it. I would very much like to get that working again if I can't make the built-in "native" method i'm currently using work better first.

Hi gygabyte666,

For graphic card switching, you can try adding Device (GMUX) into your DSDT. It's a device for real Macs to switch their graphic cards.

If I'm not wrong, you may have to take a look at your ioreg, see if "display0" is able to switch from IGPU to GFX0 or graphic test score grows.

(I personally don't use laptop, so don't blame me if this isn't worked. :P)

Regarding about fingerprint sensor, you can try installing an application call TrueSuite. But I'm not sure if it's compatible with Mavericks, so use it at your own risk.

Make sure you how to uninstall the application or recover your system before trying it.

Thanks for the suggestions! Sadly based on the link you provided, the Device GMUX trick only seems to apply to HD 3000 cards. I tried it out anyway but I couldn't see any differences in my ioreg minus the new device.

Appreciate the info on the finger print reader software. I was not aware of such software. Unfortunately, it is not compatable with Mavericks ATM. Still, I will keep my eye on it. Even though I don't use the reader, I wouldn't mind getting it to work either. ;p

New backlight display method semi-working for me. I am now using a DisplayMergeNub.kext generated by Andy Vandijck's FixEDID app found here. I say it is semi-working because it functions in a very similar way that my previous method did. The only real difference (although quite notable) is that my backlight values seem to have changed from the very dim appearance they had while I emulated having a MBA6,1 display to what they are now, which I believe is likely very, very close to what my native display brightness should be. Which is a pretty nice upgrade IMO!

Otherwise though, it functions exactly the same. Still no brightness adjustments at boot. It is still only activated after the display sleeps and since I really don't like how blinkscreen works (I have password after wake active), i've been using this terminal command whenever I need my brightness adjusted:

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to sleep'

It puts the display to sleep so I can quickly wake it and be able to adjust the brightness as normal without having to adjust my power savings preferences. That's all for now. 1st post will be updated soon to reflect the new method. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! Sadly based on the link you provided, the Device GMUX trick only seems to apply to HD 3000 cards. I tried it out anyway but I couldn't see any differences in my ioreg minus the new device.

Appreciate the info on the finger print reader software. I was not aware of such software. Unfortunately, it is not compatable with Mavericks ATM. Still, I will keep my eye on it. Even though I don't use the reader, I wouldn't mind getting it to work either. ;p

I'm sure Apple had used the same code for graphic card switching for a long time. You can check Apple hardware's ACPI tables in tdev.

According to the Macs' ioreg, it seems display0 switches from IGPU to GFX0 when system detected hard-load, such as opengl.

Have you tested HDMI port with the GMUX code? Will the external display mount on GFX0 in ioreg?

Do you have this option in System Preferences now:

energy-saver2.png

If there is still no effect that means PC laptop doesn't have the GMUX device like Macs. Then you might want to disable nvidia card through DSDT to save battery life.

I found a whitepaper about Optimus.

If I'm not wrong, the discrete card calculates and sends its framebuffer data from discrete card's memory to system's memory which is used for integrate card's framebuffer data. So basically discrete card is not directly connected to the monitor.

I can't found any document explaining how Apple's graphic card switching works. But I guess they use a specific hardware to choose which card should monitor be connected with. That would explain why in some Mac's ioreg from tdev, display0 is under IGPU, while others are under GFX0.

You sir have officially confused me. Let me make this as simple as I can so there is no way it could be mixed up. In my BIOS, the option to set my media keys (f1-f12) to require the use of the fn+ key is NOT enabled.

Yes, this is "reversed" from normal. It means when you press your F1-F12 (without Fn) it is "as if" you pressed Fn+F1-F12. That is when you press those keys without Fn, you get the scan codes for Fn+F1-F12, not F1-F12. It also means to get scan codes F1-F12, you have to press Fn+F1-F12.

When running Windows, I simple press the brightness down button and the display brightness will decrease. I do NOT have to press the fn+brightness down key to make this happen. The same applies to all media keys when using Windows. OS X might be a different matter.

Yes, because you have them reversed in BIOS. The scan codes generated under OS X are the same.

Outside of the very minimal testing I did using your PS2Controller to get the scan codes, I have no experience in this matter so I can not confidently comment about it further. The only thing I know for certain is that my mute/vol down/vol up/previous track/pause&play/next track and WiFiBT toggle buttons (f6-f12) all work normally when using OS X.

Yes, those keys generate workable scan codes for Fn+Fkeys (please note because of your setting, you don't have to press the Fn key, but the result is the same, when you press them without Fn, you get codes for Fn+fkeys).

To understand this, you must understand the history of the PC PS2 interface and the original IBM keyboard. I've been dealing with the PS2 interface since the mid-80s... The F1-F12 generate standard PS2 scan codes: http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2keyboard/scancodes1.html. The idea of special functions was added later and thus the Fn key on laptop keyboards. When various keys are pressed with Fn held down, the keys generate different scan codes, often custom for each laptop. In modern day, the functions available via Fn+fkeys are used more often than those on F1-F12 (without the Fn key), thus the option in modern BIOSes to "reverse" these keys.

With this keyboard, the Fn+F2/Fn+F3 generate the same scan code (F2/F3 if you have them reversed in BIOS), and must be handled (disambiguated) via ACPI (although I cannot discern how).

At any rate, the fact remains that if you map via "Custom ADB Map" the F2/F3 scan codes to media functions (as you evidently have), you lose the ability to generate the pressing of F2/F3. Whether this matters for OS X is dependent on the applications you use.

since I really don't like how blinkscreen works (I have password after wake active),thod. :)

Simply set SysPrefs->Security&Privacy->Require Password <x> after sleep or screen saver begins. Set <x> to something other than "immediately".

I'm sure Apple had used the same code for graphic card switching for a long time. You can check Apple hardware's ACPI tables in tdev.

According to the Macs' ioreg, it seems display0 switches from IGPU to GFX0 when system detected hard-load, such as opengl.

Have you tested HDMI port with the GMUX code? Will the external display mount on GFX0 in ioreg?

energy-saver2.png

If there is still no effect that means PC laptop doesn't have the GMUX device like Macs. Then you might want to disable nvidia card through DSDT to save battery life.

I tried using the DSDT entry to create the GMUX device.  I placed it in _SB.PCI0.LPCB and when I compiled it, I got an error message telling me that there is no entry called GP06.  In Mac, GP06 is located near the beginning in a group called Operation Region GPIO.  My HP Envy has an operation region by the same name (GPIO) but it does not have the GP06 entry.  It has many others instead.  Any idea which GPIO entry in my DSDT is the equivalent of Mac's GP06? (I currently have GIO3 listed but that is not a correct entry.)  I do not get the graphics switching option in my system preferences.  Also, I have the Intel HD4000 and the AMD Radeon 7850M.

DSDT.aml.zip

Also, here is what shows up in my IOReg:

post-270804-0-48643300-1384200395_thumb.png

I tried using the DSDT entry to create the GMUX device.  I placed it in _SB.PCI0.LPCB and when I compiled it, I got an error message telling me that there is no entry called GP06.  In Mac, GP06 is located near the beginning in a group called Operation Region GPIO.  My HP Envy has an operation region by the same name (GPIO) but it does not have the GP06 entry.  It has many others instead.  Any idea which GPIO entry in my DSDT is the equivalent of Mac's GP06? (I currently have GIO3 listed but that is not a correct entry.)  I do not get the graphics switching option in my system preferences.  Also, I have the Intel HD4000 and the AMD Radeon 7850M.

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

Also, here is what shows up in my IOReg:

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

So I added GP06 under GPIO:

DSDT_Fixed.zip

Meanwhile, I fixed the Warnings and Remarks.

But don't think it may get the discrete card work...

It's interesting that real Mac's ioreg has more options under GMUX:

PrRGFML.png

Can you check if you have "com.apple.driver.AppleMuxControl" loaded before and after using the DSDT with GMUX?

@shiecldk

Hello!

That what you are here trying to do,  can because of complete different hardware and switching method never succed and made be working in a simple way. You are doing only a steady work like  Sisyphus in Greek mythology without any chance of success.

Have fun.

@shiecldk

Hello!

That what you are here trying to do,  can because of complete different hardware and switching method never succed and made be working in a simple way. You are doing only a steady work like  Sisyphus in Greek mythology without any chance of success.

Have fun.

+1.

You can't "will" your computer to have a device it doesn't have simply by adding code to your DSDT. PCs do not have a GMUX device. Only Apple's computers do. No amount of software trickery will make the device magically appear on your motherboard.

+1.

You can't "will" your computer to have a device it doesn't have simply by adding code to your DSDT. PCs do not have a GMUX device. Only Apple's computers do. No amount of software trickery will make the device magically appear on your motherboard.

It appears to be correct that, at least for my computer, adding the GMUX device did nothing to enable graphics switching.  I am not convinced, however, that an app similar to that developed by ATI for Windows cannot be made to allow software switching of GPUs in OS X.  Of course, it is doubtful that Apple will develop such an app since real Macs have the GMUX device.  Still, I had nothing better to do this morning than to test out this proposed method of getting GPU-switching to work.

energy-saver2.png

No such options are available using GMUX and it does not do anything different using HDMI. Appreciate the thought but I don't think this will go anywhere especially since real Haswell-based Mac ioregs do not include that device anyway. Again, i've only seen it displayed in HD 3000 Macs.

Yes, because you have them reversed in BIOS. The scan codes generated under OS X are the same.

To understand this, you must understand the history of the PC PS2 interface and the original IBM keyboard. I've been dealing with the PS2 interface since the mid-80s... The F1-F12 generate standard PS2 scan codes: http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2keyboard/scancodes1.html. The idea of special functions was added later and thus the Fn key on laptop keyboards. When various keys are pressed with Fn held down, the keys generate different scan codes, often custom for each laptop. In modern day, the functions available via Fn+fkeys are used more often than those on F1-F12 (without the Fn key), thus the option in modern BIOSes to "reverse" these keys.

At any rate, the fact remains that if you map via "Custom ADB Map" the F2/F3 scan codes to media functions (as you evidently have), you lose the ability to generate the pressing of F2/F3. Whether this matters for OS X is dependent on the applications you use.

Simply set SysPrefs->Security&Privacy->Require Password <x> after sleep or screen saver begins. Set <x> to something other than "immediately".

Fair enough. This convo has gotten somewhat repetitive anyways so it should probably just end now. ;p

The only keys I remapped using Custom ADB are my two brightness keys. The remaining media keys are not edited in that kext since they already work like they should.

Lol, yes, I knew how to remove my password from being required on wake. I suppose I didn't make that clear initially. *oops >_>* I like having it set the way it is, which is why I don't like blinkscreen since it requires me to enter my password twice at login (once to login, again for wake) and I find my terminal command to be a much better alternative for me, personally.

It appears to be correct that, at least for my computer, adding the GMUX device did nothing to enable graphics switching.  I am not convinced, however, that an app similar to that developed by ATI for Windows cannot be made to allow software switching of GPUs in OS X.  Of course, it is doubtful that Apple will develop such an app since real Macs have the GMUX device.  Still, I had nothing better to do this morning than to test out this proposed method of getting GPU-switching to work.

Even if that method worked. I don't think it would have worked for you anyway since the method was based around those who can't get around Optimus, which is an issue you don't have. I recall you having an ATI/AMD card and only Nvidia chips use Optimus.

Still, I feel the same way. Even though it didn't work, I applaud shiecldk for suggesting something different that no one else has brought up yet. I try not to immediately dismiss suggestions from others since that can make or break progress. No one person will ever know everything and those who pretend to are simply arrogant and have no business in a place like this. It is a place of learning, not of snobbery and I hope it forever stays that way. After all, if all ideas are shot down before they are given a chance, how will we ever really progress in anything? So, for me it was a test worth experimenting with.