Mac OS X 10.5 x86?

trav1085

50 posts in this topic

I have looked at leo and can say that a lot has changed in it from 10.4 ,system wise .. corefoundation , iokit , libsys , mach_init , launchd, even things like kextload and this is just the tip of the iceburg ... this will be a whole new beast

I don't mind running 10.4 x86 until my PC dies, hopefully future third party applications such as Adobe Creative Suite 3 and Office 12 for Mac will work on it when it is released. :D

A Mac Pro is definitely in my future though. :D

I'm wondering why everyone wants a Mac Pro so bad.

Sure, they're powerful, but I'd rather have a nice MacBook pro anyday, for the same price. =P

I have installed 10.5 to a partition on a multi partition drive and have been able to load the kexts files but then it just stops I thought try 10.4.4 kernel it loads a bit more then a kernel panic - Expected that thou

So I believe think the first thing we have to do is hack the kernel but as mentioned before this is not going to be easy and if there are some here that have come close we proberly will not see it until apple offically launch it

Of course there will be a lot more work than a kernel hack but it would be one step closer possibly using and EFI emulator and then booting into 10.5 could be an option

Just my 2¢ worth

Sure, they're powerful, but I'd rather have a nice MacBook pro anyday, for the same price. =P

For work I have both. They are a Dual 2.66GHz Mac Pro with 2GB RAM and a 2.16GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM.

The MBP is, of course, light and portable with all the conveniences therein, but the pro tower just rocks the hell out of any process and mine has a TB of HD in it. I boot Lightwave 9 up in Boot Camp and it just sings.... LW is fast on the MBP too, but not nearly as fast as the Pro.

Is the sacrifice in speed worth the portability? That's the question. If you prefer to work at a desk, then get the screaming-fast Pro tower. If you need to take it with you... go MBP.

Oh, and Leopard + Mac Pro = :censored2:

I like towers, I already have laptop, also the Mac Pro is upgradable and easy to upgrade, from Processor, Video Card, Hard disks to memory. You pay more, but you get more value. And of course, its screaming fast.

Just an FWI, i have been able to boot the Leopard DVD into single user mode on my Hackintosh. I used the Tiger kernel, but the DVD wont boot up further than single user mode because it depends on so many Tiger core files.

This pic is from a few weeks ago, but you get the gist of it...

2659406291a13d66e2cowc1.th.jpg

For me buing a real mac is not so eaSY, i nead strong laptop but 12,1 or 13,1 " LCD with HD pixels (almoast ideal is 1280x800 for 12,1" LCD) the laptop needs to be small light weight and powerful, there is no such a mac in the offer right now, all the mac book's pro are starting from 15,4" and the matrix is not so good as it culd be for that price, and ofcourse it is 15,4 " what is too big for everyday traveling and taking to the roofs of the buildings or caves or basemants(my work is specyfic) i need a "*nix like" shell and power of BSD together with wide multimedia ability and nice look :) , all of this things i can find only in OS X, and the only hardware in a good price with HD non fu**ing glosy 12,1 " TFT LCD matrix is a non apple hardware laptop. so i'll be fighting with 10.x.x.x.x.x.x.x system for the next a few months/years just to get what i want, because it is important for me and i can't buy it in any applestore in a world.

many of my friends and cooperators has got the same machines as i have because of the same reasons. (i have had some time ago ibook G3, than PB 12" 1GHz) right now i wanted to buy macbook pro and when i have saw them in a shop that was terrible, the quality is bad, and there is nothing small light strong and enought shock resistant in apples offer. MB pro are very flexible and much harder in using in a specyfic enviromants. I'm woundering, why does aple can't build that machine if for example Acer can ?

so breaking 10.5 is a good ide till a time when apple will build good and cheap machine everyone can buy "easyly"

:)

Greetz from far far country in a far far galaxy ;)

NET

It sounds like alot of work to get 10.5 running. I am seriously considering in throwing in the Hackintosh bit and eventually just get a Mac Pro. :D

Many people have asked me to build them a Hacktintosh. My response to them is that a Hackintosh is like fixing up a really old car and you have to enjoy working under the hood when software updates comes up. I like it and it is a challenge, but I wouldn't want a normal Macintosh user to have a Hackintosh system in their hands. It's a support nightmare. I recommend to anyone who wants a Mac to buy a Mac. That's where I'll be headed once all my sh*t is paid off. I might mess around with 10.5 is a crack does become available, but I'd still would rather spend my future Mac dollars on a Mac Pro.

I just hope Apple doesn't get too greedy on their future systems and don't sell current Mac Pro users down the river when newer technology comes out.

GT

i must totally agree with goodtime. i believe getting OSX to run on x86 BIOS-based machines was an excellent project. the support is terrible, but the thrill of actually getting it to run on your machine in the first place seemed to outweight this. The minute i have sorted my finances, i will definatley get down to the apple store and pick up either a Mac Pro or a 24 inch iMac. Only thing about the iMac to me is, it feels like a Mac Mini stuck to a Cinema Display. So, for raw power ill probably for for the Mac Pro. but i will definatley have OSX x86 running on a Laptop.

10.4.8 kernel has benn broken, Omni has nearly developed nvidia drivers wich doesnt need efi and can be used on real macs, all the kexts and frameworks form 10.4.8 are being used now...this changes the perspectuve for leopard...

ok i know it came from a opensource kernel.. if apple doesnt open the leo kernel it means assembler hacking, qich is more difficult, but the most importatn thing about this is.. we have hope for leo, maybe we dont need efi at all?

hey NET, I'm curious, what do you do?

Anyways, first I'd like to say for a real mac-compatible computer (that isn't manufactured by Apple!) EFI needs to be hacked and TPM perfectly emulated.

A part of the MacEFIx86 project, I can confirm that it has proven extremely difficult so far to run Apple's EFI because the Intel boards that emulate a BIOS do not offer any way to natively run their own EFI, which is why we are trying first to hack that and get our own boards rolling with EFI before Apple's can be further tinkered with. EFI is a complex, difficult thing to implement because of this.

Second, Apple won't release Mac OS X x86 for generic PCs for many years.

Third, our current Tiger is heavily patched and modified. I hate calling it Mac OS X for PCs. I specifically refer to it as MacOSx86 because it has grown to be so butchered that it really isn't like the real Tiger. It's sewn together like a quilt that's been through WW2. Leopard will render all our efforts with Tiger obsolete. Not really useless, but we will need to learn everything from scratch. And Apple will certainly implement so many features to the OS that it will take a lot longer to crack, so much longer that I doubt we'll ever run the same version on Leopard on our Hackintoshes as on a real Mac.

Now would be a good time to switch to the Mac!

Take it from me, I just got myself an iBook G3 and a month ago bought a Core Duo Mac mini.

Before that I purchased some iMacs for my family and work. Trust me when I say you should just invest a little bit of money on an older Mac. It really puts the whole Mac world into perspective, and you find your place in it. Haven't used Windows or Linux in AGES!!!

-Urby

Colonels, is single user mode just a terminal or is it a actual GUI. Because if you can get it sorta running then it's a head start for when it's officially released. But I don't know what single user mode is.

Single User Mode is command line only.

Under Darwin, you can use init to go from single user mode to multi-user mode, but then you require that the higher software is okay with the whole operating enviroment (having all necissary modules and dependancies avaliable).

So, what Colonels is saying is that by taking the old kernel from 10.4, you can boot under a hackintosh into solely the Kernel + bash.

All this method gets you at the moment is a new version of Bash, nothing of Leopard as you are only using ~5MB of the actual OS.

You can have a completely jacked up system with most everything deleted or otherwise inaccessable and still get Single User mode.

it seemed impossible to crack the 10.4.8 kernel but semthex has done it. i think leopard can be cracked but we just need to figure out what has to be done. someone should start a new thread stating what has to be done, what can be accomplished and the obstacles we have to pass so that people can share feedback and info.

Dragon

it seemed impossible to crack the 10.4.8 kernel but semthex has done it. i think leopard can be cracked but we just need to figure out what has to be done. someone should start a new thread stating what has to be done, what can be accomplished and the obstacles we have to pass so that people can share feedback and info.

Dragon

I do agree. As we discovered, nothing is uncrackable.

Well i tested at tthe start of last week with leopard and 4.8 kexts and semthex kernel with r2d2 and i got up to it loading the loginwindow but it kept on looping forever on a bad system calls, i personally think the 10.4.8 kernel is not so different to the 10.5 kernel, i just think some calls have been changed.

so your saying let the bootloader handle all of the efi calls and store the efi image on the harddrive?

errandwolf, you are assuming that efi will replace the bios? what if it doesn't? and what about the amd users? if efi is for intel motherboards then that would mean that it will be impossible to get leopard working on a non intel motherboard?

Thought why should anyone buy an AMD system if they want to be reasonably sure they can run OS X? Why should they even buy a BIOS board? And if we go even further why should they buy a non-Apple PC to begin with?

I do understand it might be fun to make it just because you can and/or for the challenge. But rated after "most stupid choice if you wanna run OS X" shouldn't it be AMD with BIOS > Intel with BIOS > Intel with EFI > a real mac? :2cents:

What about the SSE-only users?! :2cents:

i know we don't have the source for the 10.5 kernel atm but i'd assume most of the stuff that got modded would be pretty similar to stuff from 10.5. how hard would it be to modify the 4.8 kernel to run with leopard?