OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hi everybody ,

Sorry for my bad language, I'm French.

Well, I just read the complete thread I still ask me the eternal question, should I buy the quo board.

I have actually a MSI z77a-g43 and I'm still looking for a board which has a better sleep/wake support.

I don't need thunderbolt now but maybe later.

I have an old camcorder which use fw400.

Since few years that I practice hackintosh, I can't use my camcorder.

I'm not really sure that quo board is a so nice invest.

I also have an i7 3770k , asus gt660 ti and an additional Ethernet sonnet which is natively support with my os 10.8.5.

My real interest is to have a prefect sleep/wake and a fw400 port .

I also love the bios which can load os without boot loader.

I don't if I change my board with a gigabyte or with a quo.

Do you have some good arguments to give ?

Thank you in advance

If after reading the whole tread you are still not decided, then nobody can help you decide, no matter what me or others wil say pro or otherwise.

You are french so you will understand this: If you are looking for cheap cheese you are in the wrong section of Super Market.

There are several members here using the GA-Z77MX-D3H TH mobo with a slightly modified version of  the QUO BIOS. Lots cheaper.

At first is not what he asked.

At second I am pretty much sick to read about that {censored} cheap Gigabyte board. If that is what you guys want, open a separate topic and discus there how cheap/expensive IT life is.

• Like 1

If after reading the whole tread you are still not decided, then nobody can help you decide, no matter what me or others wil say pro or otherwise.

You are french so you will understand this: If you are looking for cheap cheese you are in the wrong section of Super Market.

At first is not what he asked.

At second I am pretty much sick to read about that {censored} cheap Gigabyte board. If that is what you guys want, open a separate topic and discus there how cheap/expensive IT life is.

I'm not sure that you understood my question.

A lot of firm try to sell a product like a diamond and in fact, that's only a stone.

I'm really interest for this board and the price is not a problem, my real problem is to know if that's really work like it does.

I just ask a question about sleep/wake, and i have no answer.

If the board wakes 50% time with issue, then why buy more exepensive if the result is the same ...

A lot of firm try to sell a product like a diamond and in fact, that's only a stone.

I'm really interest for this board and the price is not a problem, my real problem is to know if that's really work like it does.

If the board wakes 50% time with issue, then why buy more exepensive if the result is the same ...

Well let me be the first to answer that yes, sleep/wake work flawlessly every time.  At least that has been my experience.  At one point, after I first upgraded to Mavericks, I would lose audio on wake, but after I rolled back the audio driver I've had no such issues.

Well let me be the first to answer that yes, sleep/wake work flawlessly every time.  At least that has been my experience.  At one point, after I first upgraded to Mavericks, I would lose audio on wake, but after I rolled back the audio driver I've had no such issues.

Hey flipit23, I have this same problem right now…most of the time when I wake from sleep I lose audio also…and the only way to get it back is a restart. I'm on Mavericks also…can I ask which audio driver you rolled back to to fix yours? I think I'm using 'audio ALC892 kext' that I downloaded here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS

So no one here has tried SLI with the Quo mobo?

Cos I can't get it to work.

Have tried Win7 (previously posted in this thread)

And have just tried Win8 as well...

Both Titans are recognised, but there's no SLI option in the SLI control panel... (only physix options)

grr

Win8.1 is no different either...

No SLI... 

boo!

Anyone got this to work?

I find a good place to update audio alc892 driver.

https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC892

To update what?

What is wrong with the installer package?

Pin Configuration and Layout Id are changed "on the fly" based on the user setup, so if you don't know audio stuff that happen on "low level" don't recommend to others, b/c all you wil do is to confuse people and not help them.

Did understand your question very well and reply acordly.

This board had part of most acid and deep reviews from various haters, they counted even the grammar mistakes or design of vendor site...

So if you didn't read yet on this topic about sleep/wake bugs that mean this board does not have such bugs, cristal or sharp clear IMHO.

If you want my personal opinion, compared with all macs I had the ocasion to get in touch(older or newer/latest) this board simply smoke them on boot time and on stability you will see no difference.

So no one here has tried SLI with the Quo mobo?

Cos I can't get it to work.

Have tried Win7 (previously posted in this thread)

And have just tried Win8 as well...

Both Titans are recognised, but there's no SLI option in the SLI control panel... (only physix options)

grr

Win8.1 is no different either...

No SLI... 

boo!

Anyone got this to work?

No need to yell, we hear you!

I see on you signature that you are using old BIOS, update first.

To update what?

What is wrong with the installer package?

Pin Configuration and Layout Id are changed "on the fly" based on the user setup, so if you don't know audio stuff that happen on "low level" don't recommend to others, b/c all you wil do is to confuse people and not help them.

This package was last updated 7 months ago.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS

Some kickstarter have not received their boards or their systems yet (after more than a year), and nobody has received the promised wifi. So that might be a 'problem'. If you buy directly from the website, you can always chargeback your credit card, that gives you leverage.

As for other options, my cousin was succesful in loading all his computers (multiple systems/laptops, different CPUs, older/new) with OS/X. It is much easier now. IMHO the board is no longer a good choice, since prices (have come down) and quality/compatibility of other boards have gone up.

Some kickstarter have not received their boards or their systems yet (after more than a year), and nobody has received the promised wifi. So that might be a 'problem'. If you buy directly from the website, you can always chargeback your credit card, that gives you leverage.

As for other options, my cousin was succesful in loading all his computers (multiple systems/laptops, different CPUs, older/new) with OS/X. It is much easier now. IMHO the board is no longer a good choice, since prices (have come down) and quality/compatibility of other boards have gone up.

Another "hater" that try to explain to you how this board is a bad choice and is perfect on topic..

Now you get my point...

• Like 1

Another "hater" that try to explain to you how this board is a bad choice and is perfect on topic..

Now you get my point...

Only if that point is defending the indefensible, as all you do here is name calling not bothering to address the broken promises made that the poster referred to.

Only if that point is defending the indefensible, as all you do here is name calling not bothering to address the broken promises made that the poster referred to.

And what has that to do with the board itself?

B/c we are talking here about the board and not some users supposed failed promises that cannot be verified in any way, anybody can came here and trow dirt under the kind eyes of moderators even this was discussed several times...

B/c we are talking here about the board and not some users supposed failed promises that cannot be verified in any way, anybody can came here and trow dirt under the kind eyes of moderators even this was discussed several times...

Nothing at all to do with the board same as your reply I replied to. And Quo could most certainly dispel any notion of the promises not being lived up to by releasing the required information on any false claims you claim are being made.

Nothing at all to do with the board same as your reply I replied to. And Quo could most certainly dispel any notion of the promises not being lived up to by releasing the required information on any false claims you claim are being made.

You are not just a hater but seems also kinda r****d since you dont get what I explained very clear IMHO.

Here once more in bold, hope is sharp clear now:

On this topic we discuss board specific, if you have something against QUO you are free to adress there(mail call or whatever you want).

Maybe Apple is the diamond, Quo is a ruby. Or an emerald. Or something else in between. If you want rock solid reliability, get a genuine mac.

Yes there are minor issues. Occasionally on boot I will get only a frozen Quo splash screen, and have to restart. Thunderbolt is not hot-swappable. I get audio drop when coming out of sleep. (I never use sleep so I've not bothered to troubleshoot it. Machines boot so quickly now with SSD, no big deal.) That's pretty much it. It is reliable enough I can work on it day-in and day-out and never think about it not being a real Mac.

In my mind this board is a piece of history. I think it's amazing that Quo managed to get it produced. Of course there are cheaper boards, but you can't really get this combination of features (firewire, thunderbolt, microATX - not to mention the BIOS support) anywhere else at any price.

• Like 1

My reply was to answer a user question about to buy the board or not.

If you buy a board and you never receive it. It doesn't matter if it is a good board or not.

If you need proof, just look at the comment section in quo's kickstarter page.

If there are other alternative boards (i.e cheaper and/or better quality), that is relevant to wether or not this board is a good purchase.

My reply was to answer a user question about to buy the board or not.

If you buy a board and you never receive it. It doesn't matter if it is a good board or not.

If you need proof, just look at the comment section in quo's kickstarter page.

If there are other alternative boards (i.e cheaper and/or better quality), that is relevant to wether or not this board is a good purchase.

1. You are offtopic

2. Kickstarter Is Not a Store

3. If you look on the kickstarter page that you mentioned is impossible to not notice that from 509 backers there are 3-4 that are talking sh*t from day one till now and this cover over 80% of the posting, if this does not stink for you for me it does. Another thing that does smell like sh*t for me is when I see guys like you with new accounts on insanelymac that does same thing as those on kickstarter page here.

And again here we discuss board specific and not something else. From now on I'm switching to ignore, any non hardware/software related I will simply ignore.

From now on I'm switching to ignore, any non hardware/software related I will simply ignore.

Translation after the French text :

Oui, merci, d'arrêter tout ce bruit, à chaque fois quand un utilisateur parle de Quo. Même si tu as déjà dit, the King n'est pas Rashantha, à force, cela deviens impossible de ne pas le croire.

Merci beaucoup pour tout le reste.

P.S. j'ai ma carte mère, mais pas mon Bluetooth/WIFI, ce n'est pas de la diffamation, c'est la réalité, que cela te plaise ou non.

English text

Yes, thank you, stop all this noise every time when a user speaks Quo. Even if you have already said, the King is not Rashantha to force it become impossible not to believe. 

Thank you so much for everything. 

PS I have my motherboard but not my Bluetooth / WIFI, this is not slander, this is the reality, whether you like it or not.

In my mind this board is a piece of history. I think it's amazing that Quo managed to get it produced. Of course there are cheaper boards, but you can't really get this combination of features (firewire, thunderbolt, microATX - not to mention the BIOS support) anywhere else at any price.

I'm still puzzled why Gigabyte doesn't just spec a model like this themselves. It doesn't use any components they don't already use in their other models, except maybe the Firewire controller, which serves a very small niche and could be safely omitted. If they sold it as a general-purpose PC motherboard rather than marketed at Hackintosh builders, they would have the economies of scale necessary to design and build it with current generation Haswell-compatible hardware. All that would be left for users to do would be to flash the HermitCrab BIOS, but Gigabyte needn't concern themselves with that. Even if only Windows users bought the board, they would still make money off the model.

I managed to snag one of the last relatively cheap Quo boards listed on eBay in the last few months and am looking forward to having a nearly "It Just Works®" Hackintosh.

• Like 1

Translation after the French text :

Oui, merci, d'arrêter tout ce bruit, à chaque fois quand un utilisateur parle de Quo. Même si tu as déjà dit, the King n'est pas Rashantha, à force, cela deviens impossible de ne pas le croire.

Merci beaucoup pour tout le reste.

P.S. j'ai ma carte mère, mais pas mon Bluetooth/WIFI, ce n'est pas de la diffamation, c'est la réalité, que cela te plaise ou non.

English text

Yes, thank you, stop all this noise every time when a user speaks Quo. Even if you have already said, the King is not Rashantha to force it become impossible not to believe. 

Thank you so much for everything. 

PS I have my motherboard but not my Bluetooth / WIFI, this is not slander, this is the reality, whether you like it or not.

Even if I am in exactly the same situation as you, I do agree with The King. This thread is not about Quo Company neither the Kickstarter Quo project. This thread is about the Quo board and helping people with this board to get the most functionality from it once they have it. The Kickstarter Quo Project problem is a Kickstarter problem, proper to this type of financing and only deals with their inhability to insure satisfactory finalization of projects. But this is an other matter and should be addressed in Kickstarter Forums, not here.

Français:

Patrick,

Même si je vis exactement la même situation que vous, je suis d'accord avec The King. Ce forum ne porte pas sur la cie Quo ni sur le projet Quo sur Kickstarter. Ce forum porte sur la carte-mère Quo-AOS et vise à aider les utilisateurs à atteindre la meilleure fonctionnalité de cette carte-mère, une fois qu'ils l'ont. Les problèmes du Projet QUO sur Kickstarter relèvent de Kickstarter et démontrent l'incapacité de Kickstarter à assurer la finalisation satisfaisante de leurs différents projets. Mais ceci est un autre problème, lequel est inhérent à ce type de financement et devrait être discuté sur les forums de KIckstarter et non ici.

No need to yell, we hear you!

I see on you signature that you are using old BIOS, update first.

FYI/Reference for Quo Mobo and SLI:

I can confirm that the Ozmosis EFIs break nVidia SLI and you will not get the SLI option within the nVidia Control Panel.

This applies to Win7 and Win8.1 running GeForce 337.88 WHQL and 334.21 WHQL

So I think it's fair to say that SLI is not possible at all with Ozmosis at present. (well, not possible with versions 894 and 828 with the above setup for the exactifides amongst us)

The only way I got SLI recognised was by flashing back to F2N, Not that I've received any feedback from Quo to suggest this... (has been months since I first emailed them).

Anyway, it appears that I'm the only one running SLI on this mobo on Windows at present, cos I'm only hearing crickets about this...

I have to say that running two Titans on this board gives me a minimum of 118FPS on BF4 (Ultra setting) with a BenQ 120Hz 1920 x 1080. That's right! a minimum of 118FPS and it pretty much locked at my set limit of 120FPS. Something that my X58 mobo couldn't achive with these Titans.

Am very happy now.