OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I have been searching through this forum, and various other forums found on Google, for a possible solution to my problem.

I have a Quo AOS board that has been working perfectly for over a year. I wanted to try the new release of the Ozmosis bios, and have been unable to get it to boot into OSX, or even an OSX installer.

Here is a list of my setup:

Z77MX-QUO-AOS board

i7-3770k

GTX660

16GB Corsair Memory (2x8GB)

Intel 520 120GB (Windows 8)

Samsung 840 120GB (OSX)

Seagate 1TB (Storage)

If I set the bios back to the 828 version, everything works fine. Once I install the 894 version, I can only get a black screen after the Quo logo screen. I have ensured that INT Display and IGPU settings are correct, and that Display Boot Opt is set to Legacy. The exact same settings that work in 828 will not work in 894.

I thought that it may have been possibly a bad download of the bios, but have tried downloading it multiple times. I even downloaded it at work, as my network caches downloads and I was worried that I had cached a bad download of the bios.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I hope that is enough information.

.... I have ensured that INT Display and IGPU settings are correct, and that Display Boot Opt is set to Legacy. The exact same settings that work in 828 will not work in 894.

Expand this, what you did/set and when.

• Init Display: Integrated
  • Integrated Graphics Enabled
  • BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only

• BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only is for cards with no GOP VBIOS and as fail/safe mechanism, since you are using IGPU and is set as primary:
  • BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control should be set to UEFI Only

• BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only is for cards with no GOP VBIOS and as fail/safe mechanism, since you are using IGPU and is set as primary:

Thank for the help, After setting to UEFI only it still will not boot to the installer. I can only get to a blank black screen.

Thank for the help, After setting to UEFI only it still will not boot to the installer. I can only get to a blank black screen.

I was able to boot into the installer by leaving the default values. 

I should have tried that in the first place. I will update on progress shortly.

You are not providing full information, so nobody can guess what installer give you trouble as example.

You are not setting things right as per indications, most likely you are altering other settings in BIOS, and as you found already is best for you to not touch anything and leave everything as default..

• Like 2

You are not providing full information, so nobody can guess what installer give you trouble as example.

You are not setting things right as per indications, most likely you are altering other settings in BIOS, and as you found already is best for you to not touch anything and leave everything as default..

I mentioned in my first post that I was having issues booting into OSX, and the OSX installer.

I have a Quo AOS board that has been working perfectly for over a year. I wanted to try the new release of the Ozmosis bios, and have been unable to get it to boot into OSX, or even an OSX installer.

The installer is for 10.9.4 via a Kingston 8GB usb flash drive.

I tried the following settings, and they did not work for me. All others were left default that come with the 894 version of the bios. I would only get a blank black screen.

I apologize if I have not provided sufficient information. As I mentioned in my last post, I was able to get OSX installed by leaving all values to the default. 

I mentioned in my first post that I was having issues booting into OSX, and the OSX installer.

The installer is for 10.9.4 via a Kingston 8GB usb flash drive.

I tried the following settings, and they did not work for me. All others were left default that come with the 894 version of the bios. I would only get a blank black screen.

I apologize if I have not provided sufficient information. As I mentioned in my last post, I was able to get OSX installed by leaving all values to the default. 

After successfully getting 10.9.4 installed, I have found I am unable to use integrated graphics. If I use only my GPU with integrated graphics set to AUTO, I can boot into OSX and everything other than integrated graphics works. If I enable integrated graphics, I can only get to a blank black screen. The only settings I change are to enable integrated graphics.

Any ideas?

After successfully getting 10.9.4 installed, I have found I am unable to use integrated graphics. If I use only my GPU with integrated graphics set to AUTO, I can boot into OSX and everything other than integrated graphics works. If I enable integrated graphics, I can only get to a blank black screen. The only settings I change are to enable integrated graphics.

Any ideas?

Yes, I have one:

How about you read what I did said in plain english when I asked for details?

Do you think stuff like monitor(s) connected, type/size/resolution etc does not matter when you debug "possible" video bug?

Since you didn't provided required information I am forced to guess so, I think your "problem" is related with how you actually connect the monitor(s).

I guess you do not have a PC Speaker mounted on your board to warn you when your graphics card that you set in BIOS as primary is not posted.

In translation, if you enable IGPU and set it as primary in Init display first, you need to make sure you have monitor connected to it otherwise you will receive a black screen till the end of the days..

This might be a question for the Ozmosis thread, but does anybody know if it's possible to force full resolution on the boot screen? I hate seeing that distorted Apple logo. Can I add a boot argument or anything to fix it?

Disable CSM.

Disable CSM.

Thank you. So I'm having an issue here. In order to get the CSM support setting I have to change Secure Boot to Windows 8. I then disable CSM Support and save and exit. The boot logo is still distorted so I go back into bios and CSM is back to Enabled. I've tried disabling it 3 times but it isn't sticking. I also tried restoring the bios to defaults and then disabling it but it always goes back to enabled. Is there another setting I need to change that's re-enabling it?

If you're comfortable with modifying your bios you could try replacing the CsmVideo module with this one (you can use MMTool or UefiTool for this).

It allowed me to boot with full resolution over DVI with CSM enabled. When I tried a DP cable the display was stretched again.

I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm not against learning. I'll give it a go. I should have mentioned that I'm connecting over DVI. Would HDMI or DP make a difference? Or would one or the other knock me back to 1080p?

Thank you. So I'm having an issue here. In order to get the CSM support setting I have to change Secure Boot to Windows 8. I then disable CSM Support and save and exit. The boot logo is still distorted so I go back into bios and CSM is back to Enabled. I've tried disabling it 3 times but it isn't sticking. I also tried restoring the bios to defaults and then disabling it but it always goes back to enabled. Is there another setting I need to change that's re-enabling it?

Did you have GOP Bios for your GTX?

disable secure boot and check again with CSM Enabled.

This might be a question for the Ozmosis thread, but does anybody know if it's possible to force full resolution on the boot screen? I hate seeing that distorted Apple logo. Can I add a boot argument or anything to fix it?

You have 2 options...

1. Wait for a new release, a bird told me they got AMI CsmVideo fixed, so wont matter if you have a GOP VBIOS card or not, you will get full resolution Logo/GUI in both cases.

2. If you have a GOP VBIOS discrete card or if you want to use internal as primary(it has GOP drivers in BIOS already) set:

BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to UEFI Only by default

In case of IGPU usage, set:

Peripherals/Integrated Graphics/Enabled

Peripherals/Init Display First/IGPU

Optional you can disable CSM completely by setting  BIOS Features/Secure Boot to Win8 then CSM Support to Disabled.

Don't forget to configure Image Execution Policy otherwise you will get stuck on OS X boot!! 

Hmm no idea if my card has GOP VBIOS, but I'll give King's instructions a go and see what happens. If it doesn't work with my discrete GPU, is there a way to update to GOP VBIOS? If not, I'll just go with option 1 and wait for the update. I don't really want to use the integrated GPU. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: WELP, that was an epic fail. Safe to say I do not have GOP VBIOS. Switched it to UEFI only and got nothing but black screens and had to activate the secondary bios and reflash. Also, just to update King, I did try to disable CSM, but it kept re-enabling itself each time I rebooted. Apparently that was a good thing because I didn't know about configuring Image Execution Policy. I'm not even sure where to do that. Time to re-do my boot flags.

Yes, I have one:

How about you read what I did said in plain english when I asked for details?

Do you think stuff like monitor(s) connected, type/size/resolution etc does not matter when you debug "possible" video bug?

Since you didn't provided required information I am forced to guess so, I think your "problem" is related with how you actually connect the monitor(s).

I guess you do not have a PC Speaker mounted on your board to warn you when your graphics card that you set in BIOS as primary is not posted.

In translation, if you enable IGPU and set it as primary in Init display first, you need to make sure you have monitor connected to it otherwise you will receive a black screen till the end of the days.

I am sorry, what information are you requesting?

In terms of Monitors connect, type, size, resolution, etc, I have the following:

(1) 24" Samsung LED 1920x1080 connected to on board DVI port via DVI cable.

(2) 24" LG LED 1920x1080 connected via DVI cables onto DVI ports on GTX660

(1) 22" LG LED 1920x1080 connected via DisplayPort to DVI cable on GTX660

(1) 32" Sony LCD TV 720p connected via HDMI on GTX660 

I am unable to get video to show within OSX 10.9.4 on the monitor connect to integrated graphics. I have ensured that I have enabled onboard graphics within the BIOS. As per instructions from THe KiNG 

• BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control should be set to UEFI Only

this allows me to boot into OSX 10.9.4. 

Any advise on how to get onboard video working within OSX?

I am sorry, what information are you requesting?

In terms of Monitors connect, type, size, resolution, etc, I have the following:

(1) 24" Samsung LED 1920x1080 connected to on board DVI port via DVI cable.

(2) 24" LG LED 1920x1080 connected via DVI cables onto DVI ports on GTX660

(1) 22" LG LED 1920x1080 connected via DisplayPort to DVI cable on GTX660

(1) 32" Sony LCD TV 720p connected via HDMI on GTX660 

I am unable to get video to show within OSX 10.9.4 on the monitor connect to integrated graphics. I have ensured that I have enabled onboard graphics within the BIOS. As per instructions from THe KiNG 

• BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control should be set to UEFI Only

this allows me to boot into OSX 10.9.4. 

Any advise on how to get onboard video working within OSX?

Seems I need a month to get full information about your specs and how you setup things in BIOS.

You didn't answer if you have PC Speaker or not, do you hear the post beep or not?

If BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to UEFI Only is the only thing you altered in BIOS and you got all those monitors connected, then I assume your GTX660 card has GOP VBIOS, I cannot know since I have no idea what model/brand is...

You can also spend some time and provide a DarwinDumper report(zip not html) while you are in OS X.

One last thing you can try is to set BIOS  like this:

BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to UEFI First(This is how it was on 828 by default.)

Peripherals/Integrated Graphics/Enabled

Peripherals/Init Display First/IGPU

If this does not work I have no other idea until you not provide full information/dumps.

Well for some reason nvram isn't saving anymore. I've tried a clean install (still getting KP's on shutdown/restart and restart boot loops a few times before loading desktop, which spams nvram with panic info), I've tried refreshing my bios, but nothing saves, which means I can't change my SMBIOS or get iMessage working or load unsigned kexts on Yosemite. Very strange that it just started happening all of a sudden. I've done some searching around but haven't come across much that really explains it from a strictly Ozmosis viewpoint (a lot of clover stuff, though). Does anybody know how to get nvram to save again, or could anybody point me to a fix I can try?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else tried the Yosemite DPs or beta yet? Much of it (DP4) seems to work fine with my setup, but sound - either by built-in or an iMic USB device - don't work, Flash crashes in both Firefox & Safari, possibly because of the sound problem.

Has anyone else tried the Yosemite DPs or beta yet? Much of it (DP4) seems to work fine with my setup, but sound - either by built-in or an iMic USB device - don't work, Flash crashes in both Firefox & Safari, possibly because of the sound problem.

which SMBios did you use?