OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Found the error:

Did you tried to play with LAN eeprom(flash/update)?

You need to fix LAN eeprom checksum, if you don't know how, I will try to put an easy way for you to do it, let me know...

Didn't really do anything other than download the ozmosis  bios and flash the board. So don't really know who to fix that :(

OK, I see you have windows so here is what you need to do:

1. Create bootable FAT32 DOS USB stick with http://rufus.akeo.ie/

2. Copy all files from attached zip on the stick

3. Make sure in BIOS Legacy boot is enabled!

4. Boot from USB stick(legacy not UEFI).

Once on DOS prompt type:

eeupdate /nic=1 /d lan.eep

This will write new LAN eeprom without changing existing MAC address, if you want to be pir8:

eeupdate /nic=1 /d lan.eep /MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX

Where XXXXXXXXXXXX will be your new MAC address at your choice ;)

After this type celo then enter

If it pass all tests then you are good to go on OS X for test.

Have fun!

QLAN.zip

• Like 8

Once on DOS prompt type:

This will write new LAN eeprom without changing existing MAC address, if you want to be pir8:

Have fun!

attachicon.gifQLAN.zip

Thanks King! I will try it out and let you know!

Once on DOS prompt type:

Have fun!

attachicon.gifQLAN.zip

It Works!!! You're effing awesome King! :thumbsup_anim:  Thanks a lot..really really appreciate it  :D

After reading this post I decided to change my system to the iMac13,2 and give it a try. I knew from previous reading that it was the better option, but resisted because I didn't want to be identified on my network as an iMac, which by the way was an easy fix after doing some research. So after changing to iMac13,2 I noticed my GeekBench score jumped from 13200 or so to 14800, then they dropped to 13800 or so for no apparent reason. I played around with a lot of things trying to figure out what caused the 1000 point drop. After chasing my tail for a while I gave up. Then a couple of days later, the 14800 score came back when I ran GeekBench. So I started the tail chasing again. It turns out that after my computer goes to sleep, for how long does not matter, my scores jump up the 1000 points. Strange. Just thought I'd share.

Also in fooling around with changing the SMBios a couple of questions were raised. First, is speed stepping working OOTB for those of us using IvyBridge CPU's? It would appear that to check I need to run a custom kext but with Ozmosis running these kexts and then removing them does not seems as straight forward as using Chameleon or Clover. In all actuality it probably is just as straight forward, but doesn't seem to be because it is not as well documented in the hackintosh forums. The Ozmosis page on this site seems to focus more on modding/building your custom Ozmosis BIOS from the ground up, not tweaking the original HermitCrabLabs version. I would hate to tinker and "F" anything up.

The main question for me though would be, is speed stepping working OOTB for IvyBridge or do I need to figure out how to load an SSDT for my 3770K?

I know this is a little off topic, but I don't use the iMac identifier for the same reason. I hate it showing the iMac icon on the network. How did you change it?

Regarding the kexts, you can just chmod 755 and then kextload them manually if you just need to experiment with them temporarily.

I know this is a little off topic, but I don't use the iMac identifier for the same reason. I hate it showing the iMac icon on the network. How did you change it?

Regarding the kexts, you can just chmod 755 and then kextload them manually if you just need to experiment with them temporarily.

To change the info, all you need to do is follow the directions from this post:  Editing ‘About This Mac’ | Skyline OSX

It was much easier than I expected it to be, otherwise I would have done it a long time ago.

To change the info, all you need to do is follow the directions from this post: Editing ‘About This Mac’ | Skyline OSX

It was much easier than I expected it to be, otherwise I would have done it a long time ago.

Oh I see, I thought that only changed it locally. So when you change it, it reports it that way to other computers on the network as well?

Oh I see, I thought that only changed it locally. So when you change it, it reports it that way to other computers on the network as well?

Well on other local Mac's it does change the text from iMac to whatever you change the text to, which I guess can also be changed in the sharing preferences.   In the finder the little icon in the sidebar does remain an iMac.  I really hadn't looked that closely at it until now. 

So last night I tried a genericusbxhci.kext (latest one available from what I could tell, version 1.2.7) to try to get my iPads to charge from usb 3, and my computer started behaving pretty odd. Then we had a power outage and afterwords I had all kinds of boot issues, mainly that absolutely nothing would happen. I'd get a blank screen from restart or cold start, and I could barely get into bios settings and could only boot by hitting f12 as soon as the lights on my keyboard came on. I seem to have gotten everything running again by reflashing the bios. My question is that when I reflashed the bios it completely erased all my nvram settings, correct? I'm back to Mac Pro 3,1, so I'm assuming that yes, obviously, this is the case (which I expected before I did it). The weird thing is that I'm having no trouble booting up even with a modified AppleHDA kext and a FakeSMC kext installed, although neither of them seem to be loading, even though the kext-dev-mode=1 boot arg should be removed. Is it just not necessary to boot anymore in DP2, even though the system doesn't appear to load the kexts without it? I realize the second half of this may be more suited for the yosemite dp's thread.

Also, I'm not sure if it's Yosemite or the remnants of that usb kext, but I'm having some shutdown/restart issues. Shutdown restarts, and restart works sometimes and other times I have to hit the reset button and I get a message that I shut down OS X because of a problem and do I want to start all the programs I previously had open yada yada yada. So it's crashing sometimes when it tries to restart.

Ended up reinstalling DP1 and Update 1 over my install to try and fix everything and it seems to have worked. Got everything up and running again, and for {censored} and giggles I tried Mac Pro 6,1 smbios without removing AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and lo and behold it booted (after a few tries), however only one monitor is working atm. I read somewhere you should also remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext when using a Mac Pro smbios. Could that be the problem?

I thought this motherboard ( I have two of them) in combination with the 3770k cpu would be a pretty cool and fast desktop that could handle high load. It probably is depending on what you use it for but I realized today that my old asus p6t-se with an i7 930 cpu works better for realtime video processing which came as a total surprise.

I have a gigabyte 2 gig gtx 660 for the quo mobo and an old amd 5750 for the asus mobo. Im on 828m on the quo mobo.

I realized this when I was doing some tests broadcasting a live feed to the internet using my black magic atem tvs hooked up to my ultra studio minirecorder. Software i use is the switcher software for the atem tvs run through camtwist for additional cams video clips and effects, pixelconduit to touch up the color a little on my two black magic pocket cinema cameras pale output and fmle for the encoding.

I cannot see any reason why the old asus rig works more stable than the quo rig. The asus rig I run on 10.8.5 and on the quo I run mavericks.

I know some people here use the quo mobos for color grading so the question is how do you think it performs? Did you expect more is it a little shaky or does it run ok for you?

It is kind of strange that older gear with a pretty cheap video card on top of that outperforms this mobo. Maby its time to take the jump and get that mac pro instead hmm. Sure there is a video chip  in the 3770k cpu but with this mobo but I only use the gtx 660 card so that should work pretty much the same as the asus setup with the 930 that do not have that.

Pixelconduit can as I understand run on a single videocard system or a double so the only thing I can come to think of is that maby I get somekind of conflict with pixelconduit trying to make use of the onboard graphics in the cpu. 

Maby something to consider if you get a chance to get one of these and plan to use them the same as I do. Thunderbolt works but normally you have to do a reboot right away for the os to see the port. I have not tried to use both tb ports the same time cause I have only one mini recorder. I have intensity pro pcie capture card in it too so I dont need one.

I cannot see any reason why the old asus rig works more stable than the quo rig. The asus rig I run on 10.8.5 and on the quo I run mavericks.

So let me understand, you are comparing OSX 10.8.5 v.s. Maveriks, nVidia v.s. ATI and is motherboard fault?

Are you serious?

He's not guessing, he's stating a fact.

Mountain Lion runs FASTER than Mavericks!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5491144?start=15&tstart=0

My post is about the hardware not the os = in this case that the older hardware seem to outperform the newer hardware. For god sake its like two generations newer.

I could easily fire upp and try out os versions all the way down to snowleo to compare but whats the point with that? Should we blame apple for low performance of this mobo?

Excatly what do you mean?

Edit

That link is about how fast apps like firefox etc start up and seem to have nothing to do with real computer work.

My post is about the hardware not the os = in this case that the older hardware seem to outperform the newer hardware. For god sake its like two generations newer.

I could easily fire upp and try out os versions all the way down to snowleo to compare but whats the point with that? Should we blame apple for low performance of this mobo?

Excatly what do you mean?

Edit

That link is about how fast apps like firefox etc start up and seem to have nothing to do with real computer work.

My previous post was just a warning for you to do a proper test/compare before stating anything...

Now, because you insist in mistakes, I will tell you what a pro should do:

1. use same ram on both platforms

2. use same hdd with same OS version connected on same SATA speed

3. use same discrete graphic card(disable onboard)

If you do all those, you can say that you are testing motherboard and processor in a pair, since they can't be separated.

Judging computer performance based only on some applications like Pixelconduit is silly and totally not pro, do proper tests and take your conclusions.

My previous post was just a warning for you to do a proper test/compare before stating anything...

Now, because you insist in mistakes, I will tell you what a pro should do:

1. use same ram on both platforms

2. use same hdd with same OS version connected on same SATA speed

3. use same discrete graphic card(disable onboard)

If you do all those, you can say that you are testing motherboard and processor in a pair, since they can't be separated.

Judging computer performance based only on some applications like Pixelconduit is silly and totally not pro, do proper tests and take your conclusions.

Yup you're right instead of bitching I should focus on finding out the best way to use that old Asus workhorse now that I know what it probably could do best to accomplish what Im here for.

I have my military days can come forward as a {censored} so I guess it's easy to get pissed of on me. But then again you do that to me too so.....

So here is me

I'm stuck on Mac OS cause my hobby is to find out the coolest, most flexible, cheapest way for a creative person to broadcast a high quality video and audio stream over the internet from anywhere on the planet with a decent internet connection to any platform anywhere in the world. I just found that out lol. 

The cool good flexible software today for doing that today is mac only I'm afraid.

It started with a dream taking form back in the 80ies when the Amiga 500 came. Bars and Pipes you remember that program? I do. That's when the dream started for me cause I realized you probably in the future would be able to use a computer as a multitrack tape recorder. Cause I suck with computers and in general just suck I never got the code to master Cubase and al those other fancy programs back then. This till I by accident fell over Emagic Logic ( yes I'm 61 I´m an old fart) and I finally got it. 

Lucky as always Apple bought Logic but I struggled on for a few years but ended up with a Mac Mini. That was a cool mashine (I still have it) but after a while I grew out of it and once again more or less by accident I fell over insanellymac and cause of real macs being so expensive to be honest it wasn't hard to fell in love.  

Then the same happen again but even more advanced = anyone being able to do that + high quality video + live colorgrading/effects anything depending only on your own creativity. 

Imagine how local business, cultural and or commercial events freedom of speech could thrive both on a community "micro"  and or country level maybe even world wide level could thrive from this. Fresh local {censored} right here right now and affordable.

Imagine Insanelymac Live on Air how cool wouldn't that be? People interacting live in google hangout like rooms etc etc helping each other out taking this forward ……. 

Facts is the cheapest most flexible way to do this today with only one computer is with a hackintosh and Mac OS only software so .......

I love these mobos that's why I own two of them and thanks for any contribution from your part that they works as good as they really  do. Just the fact they have thunderbolt and fw 4 and 800 and after flashing bios updates mac os with no trouble at all but sound is incredible. I do not debate that that is why I bought them. 

I'm sorry man my social skills sucks big time I just thought I asked a question to people using this mobo in a similar what that I do.

From what I understand you think I either am doing something wrong or I'm on the wrong OS? Am I right?

Any tips I mean I would be thrilled to trim this setup to perform it's best. The encoding is the hard part and both CamTwist and FMLE wants in  on it so probably a two computer setup is the most stable. It used to to be cause that's the way I started back in the webcam days.

Today with low cost high end "semi" pro HD cams pushing at least 108050 i (max with the ATEM TVS here in Europe for their pocket cinema cam)  ofcourse the challenge on the hardware is lifted again. The Quo mobo having two thunderbolt ports and both fw 4 and 800 on besides all the other goodies on it is cool so don't get me wrong.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Finally got everything working and running OS X 10.9.3.

Now I wanna install windows 8.1 to dual boot but I'm having trouble booting the windows installer. I made the installer via bootcamp  and a windows 8.1 iso image.  I'm installing windows on a saperate drive.

When I press F12 to select the windows usb installer...it doesn't boot. it just goes to the EDK shell.  I also tried to unplug my OS X drive..but same thing.  In Bios..  I tried changing the Boot mode selection to UEFI Only, UEFI and legacy and also Legacy only. But Installer still won't boot.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

So no replies that's cool I'll keep on anyway no dead ends in my way of thinking, tc all.

so you didn't provide any details just based your opinion on 1 program ?

no one has suggested this board is slower than any equivalent platform, only you.

there is no way your quo system hardware should be slower than your older system period.

how about doing some benchmarks other than your 1 program ?

Something is very wrong with your setup ... sounds like HW encoding isnt functioning .. look in that area.

But provide some detailed info that shows the system is slower maybe we can help then but otherwise gd luck.

so you didn't provide any details just based your opinion on 1 program ?

no one has suggested this board is slower than any equivalent platform, only you.

there is no way your quo system hardware should be slower than your older system period.

how about doing some benchmarks other than your 1 program ?

Something is very wrong with your setup ... sounds like HW encoding isnt functioning .. look in that area.

But provide some detailed info that shows the system is slower maybe we can help then but otherwise gd luck.

What? Did you read my two last posts at all, I don't think so. 

If I back down to Mountainlion how the heck do I do if I want to buy final cut pro x it´s mavericks only today? The pirate bay? I DON'T THINK SO IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Yes some of us really use our qou mobos for real stuff not just just tinkering with it.

A tip for you, If you do not like what I say here just hit the ignore button.

For the rest here hopefully wanting to move forward, we're not stuck in the stone age so why use chat boxes when we could communicate live for real.

Just a thought.

My