OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Almost to reply you but rhys216 made me laugh so hard that I gave up...

Wrong SMBios, you got panic on AppleTyMCEDriver, or move AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from S/L/E or use other SMBios definition compatible with your CPU.

Thanks King. What do I need to look for in an SMBios for compatibility? Is that why OZ uses Mac Pro 3,1? Is it just the most compatible with the Z77 chipset?

So anybody got the stones to give Yosemite a spin?

Well I decided screw it and took the plunge and after working on it all last night I'm up and running on Yosemite. I was getting a KP at boot due to having unauthentic kexts installed (I think) but after doing a clean install and excluding apps and system settings from my restore I'm having zero issues other than no sound. I'm hesitant to try installing any kexts for things like sound and hardware sensors in case it won't boot. There are some workarounds but I haven't gotten into reading up on them yet.  I can use bluetooth sound in the meantime at least. Other than the occasional beach ball and some delays when shifting app focus it's running pretty smoothly.

to get sound working, you can use the same binary patch and layout2.xml.zlib, layout3.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib that are used for 10.9 patch.

unfortunately you'll have to use kext-dev-mode=1 boot-arg, since we can no longer re-sign the modified kext.

to get sound working, you can use the same binary patch and layout2.xml.zlib, layout3.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib that are used for 10.9 patch.

unfortunately you'll have to use kext-dev-mode=1 boot-arg, since we can no longer re-sign the modified kext.

The only thing about that I'm kind of ok on is that I can enter the boot arg in terminal. Kext patching is a bit over my head. I'd be glad to learn though if you can point me to a tutorial. And I appreciate you taking your time to respond. I'll try googling for a tutorial in any case. Thanks!

Thanks King. What do I need to look for in an SMBios for compatibility? Is that why OZ uses Mac Pro 3,1? Is it just the most compatible with the Z77 chipset?

The most compatible with your CPU(IvyBridge) is iMac13,x, x depends if you are using discrete GFX card or just integrated grapfics, for SandyBridge CPU will be iMac12,x.

MacPro3,1 was used to ensure backward support with Snow Leopard, i.e if you try to boot Apple original 10.6.3 DVD you will have the surprise that your "iMac" is not supported...

The only thing about that I'm kind of ok on is that I can enter the boot arg in terminal. Kext patching is a bit over my head. I'd be glad to learn though if you can point me to a tutorial. And I appreciate you taking your time to respond. I'll try googling for a tutorial in any case. Thanks!

You can use same Audio fix package(select 10.9) plus the boot flag, backup the audio driver just in case...

Ok I'm going to give this a try this evening. My understanding is that, since we don't have boot plists with OZ, that we just enter these boot flags in terminal and they are saved in NVRAM. Is that correct? Do I need to use NVRAM before the boot flag like with editing my model identifier? Or can I just put it in terminal and it will take? Thanks for the assistance, guys.

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread and finally got my build running except I can't get my ethernet, thunderbolt to work. From what I've read they should work right out of the box. I'm running 894M bios version and tried to follow the wiki for vanilla install.

Is there anything I need to change to get Gigabit ethernet working? The thing is ethernet is actually 'enabled' but for some reason it doesn't work. Same thing with thunderbolt.  I only plan to use the thunderbolt for storage raid devices.

I would appreciate any help. thanks!

My system:

Z77mx-quo-aos

3770K i7 intel cpu

Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM

Samsung EVO 250GB ssd

Corsair HX750 PSU

It's been awhile since I used boot flags. That enables verbose mode right? I should throw that in there to see why booting is so slow.

Several members have reported keeping verbose booting on leads to flaky booting in their respective configurations. I belong into this group and I have switched it off again, which rendered the booting flawless. So once you have found the root cause, you may wish to switch it off again.

Several members have reported keeping verbose booting on leads to flaky booting in their respective configurations. I belong into this group and I have switched it off again, which rendered the booting flawless. So once you have found the root cause, you may wish to switch it off again.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually think I fixed it by switching some stuff around in bios settings. For some reason it all got reset to defaults. 

Also thanks to King for steering me in the right direction with my SMBios. It's registering as iMac 13,2 now. I know it's probably just cosmetic, but I feel better about it for some reason. Now if I could get my USB to charge my iPad I think I'd have this puppy working 100% (for a DP1). I think I had a generic usb kext for that in Mavericks. I'll have to go searching around for it tomorrow.

Can someone tell me the device id for the intel gigabit ethernet of this board? I'm still trying to get my internet working.

This works out of the box. You must have something else wrong. The device is 0x10f6 (Intel is 0x8086). It is supported by Intel82574L.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext

Go to About This Mac and look to see if its shown under Ethernet Cards as Intel 82574L. If not its probably a BIOS issue. Try reset to defaults or reburn the BIOS.

"OS X compatible" doesn't actually means "works OOB"  :P

You are wrong, it does work OOB(if you ignore the BIOS update...).

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread and finally got my build running except I can't get my ethernet, thunderbolt to work. From what I've read they should work right out of the box. I'm running 894M bios version and tried to follow the wiki for vanilla install.

Is there anything I need to change to get Gigabit ethernet working? The thing is ethernet is actually 'enabled' but for some reason it doesn't work. Same thing with thunderbolt.  I only plan to use the thunderbolt for storage raid devices.

I would appreciate any help. thanks!

My system:

Z77mx-quo-aos

3770K i7 intel cpu

Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM

Samsung EVO 250GB ssd

Corsair HX750 PSU

As a newcomer at first you need to respect the "house rules", add to your signature your specs and more important your BIOS version, if you want to get a reply quick...

LAN should work unless is defective or you have other board.

Anyway, as a good friend of mine say, without dumps we can't know what is going on there...

So, I will save your topic reading time, here is what you have to do:

From F12 menu select UEFI: Built-In EDK Shell

Once there type bdmesg -b then press Enter

Note first line when it say Ozmosis version.

Scroll till you see Found Intel LAN Controller if on [] is not [8086:10F6] then you have a problem.

This works out of the box. You must have something else wrong. The device is 0x10f6 (Intel is 0x8086). It is supported by Intel82574L.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext

Go to About This Mac and look to see if its shown under Ethernet Cards as Intel 82574L. If not its probably a BIOS issue. Try reset to defaults or reburn the BIOS.

Yeah..that's what I thought too that it might be a bios problem. by reburning the bios do you mean reflashing? because i tried reflashing 894M down to 828M then back again with no luck. I also tried OS X 10.8 instead of Mavericks..but still the same. I plugged in my Windows partition and it works..so it can't be the board itself.

You are wrong, it does work OOB(if you ignore the BIOS update...).

As a newcomer at first you need to respect the "house rules", add to your signature your specs and more important your BIOS version, if you want to get a reply quick...

LAN should work unless is defective or you have other board.

Anyway, as a good friend of mine say, without dumps we can't know what is going on there...

So, I will save your topic reading time, here is what you have to do:

From F12 menu select UEFI: Built-In EDK Shell

Once there type bdmesg -b then press Enter

Note first line when it say Ozmosis version.

Scroll till you see Found Intel LAN Controller if on [] is not [8086:10F6] then you have a problem.

Thanks King! I'm using Ozmosis H3B.894M...also the dump does say 'Found Intel Lan Controller [8086:10F6]..

I don't think its defective because I plugged in my windows partition and it just worked.  I tried reflashing the bios to 828M also with same results.  Any ideas what could be wrong?

... I plugged in my Windows partition and it works..so it can't be the board itself.

I don't think its defective because I plugged in my windows partition and it just worked.  I tried reflashing the bios to 828M also with same results.  Any ideas what could be wrong?

If works on windows then can be:

- your internet settings(how is setup on windows, what kind of internet connection you have, is it PPOE, does require you to use user/password?)

- your router(are you using one?)

- broken OS drivers by user mistake

If works on windows then can be:

- your internet settings(how is setup on windows, what kind of internet connection you have, is it PPOE, does require you to use user/password?)

- your router(are you using one?)

- broken OS drivers by user mistake

The thing is in OS X..I can't even setup the internet because the ethernet is not recognized. Under system profiler>Ethernet Cards..it says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed."  Also when you go to System Preferences>Network..There's no ethernet either..only Firewire.

I tried flashing different bios versions (894M, 828M, 820M). I reset CMOS. I tried Mountain Lion and Mavericks..but same result.  I even tried using different USB flash drives on different usb ports for the flashing and installing.

screen01.png

screen02.png

The thing is in OS X..I can't even setup the internet because the ethernet is not recognized. Under system profiler>Ethernet Cards..it says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed."  Also when you go to System Preferences>Network..There's no ethernet either..only Firewire.

Use http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282794-darwindumper/ , make full dump and upload the zip.

The most compatible with your CPU(IvyBridge) is iMac13,x, x depends if you are using discrete GFX card or just integrated grapfics, for SandyBridge CPU will be iMac12,x.

MacPro3,1 was used to ensure backward support with Snow Leopard, i.e if you try to boot Apple original 10.6.3 DVD you will have the surprise that your "iMac" is not supported...

You can use same Audio fix package(select 10.9) plus the boot flag, backup the audio driver just in case...

After reading this post I decided to change my system to the iMac13,2 and give it a try.  I knew from previous reading that it was the better option, but resisted because I didn't want to be identified on my network as an iMac, which by the way was an easy fix after doing some research.  So after changing to iMac13,2 I noticed my GeekBench score jumped from 13200 or so to 14800, then they dropped to 13800 or so for no apparent reason.  I played around with a lot of things trying to figure out what caused the 1000 point drop.  After chasing my tail for a while I gave up.  Then a couple of days later, the 14800 score came back when I ran GeekBench.  So I started the tail chasing again.  It turns out that after my computer goes to sleep, for how long does not matter, my scores jump up the 1000 points.  Strange.  Just thought I'd share.

Also in fooling around with changing the SMBios a couple of questions were raised.  First, is speed stepping working OOTB for those of us using IvyBridge CPU's?  It would appear that to check I need to run a custom kext but with Ozmosis running these kexts and then removing them does not seems as straight forward as using Chameleon or Clover.  In all actuality it probably is just as straight forward, but doesn't seem to be because it is not as well documented in the hackintosh forums.  The Ozmosis page on this site seems to focus more on modding/building your custom Ozmosis BIOS from the ground up, not tweaking the original HermitCrabLabs version.  I would hate to tinker and "F" anything up.

The main question for me though would be, is speed stepping working OOTB for IvyBridge or do I need to figure out how to load an SSDT for my 3770K?

PMd you the zip..thank you!

Found the error:

Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::start - NVM Checksum incorrect

Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::validateEEPROM - EEPROM checksum is incorrect
Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::start - failed to validate EEPROM

Did you tried to play with LAN eeprom(flash/update)?

You need to fix LAN eeprom checksum, if you don't know how, I will try to put an easy way for you to do it, let me know...

• Like 3