OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

@ntsmkfobi could not get the  kings patch packet to work. I'm using HDMI Sound (when i used kings patch i had no sound and lost HDMI Sound too so reinstalled the original HDA Sound kext with kext wizard and got HDMI SOUND Back

I'm using the Mac Pro 3.1 its set to that with the 894M.bios

And I'm NOT using any patched HDA SOUND or kings sound pkg(.i tried it and it didn't work) so restored original HDA SOUND kext and can use HDMI Sound everything else works out of the box

Has anyone else tried the Yosemite DPs or beta yet? Much of it (DP4) seems to work fine with my setup, but sound - either by built-in or an iMic USB device - don't work, Flash crashes in both Firefox & Safari, possibly because of the sound problem.

You're using kext-dev-mode=1 right? Unsigned kexts won't load without it. I've had sound working with King's patch and with voodoohda. Using digital out now. There's a developmental build of flash for Yosemite. Go to Adobe.com to download it.

I'm using the Mac Pro 3.1 its set to that with the 894M.bios

And I'm NOT using any patched HDA SOUND or kings sound pkg(.i tried it and it didn't work) so restored original HDA SOUND kext and can use HDMI Sound everything else works out of the box

I'm using voodoohda 2.8.5 now and it's working great. One nice thing is that I didn't have to reinstall it after updating to DP5.

My Z77MX-QUO-AOS has arrived. :)

Shipping took just 8 days (including weekend) to Europe! (According to some Facebook / forum posts I had expected 6-8 weeks!)

I've done a lot of research so far because I'm totally new to the "Hackintosh" topic (but quite familiar with Linux). So any hint / help - especially regarding hardware selection (see below) - will be highly appreciated.

What do I want ...

• Mac OS X and Linux (after release: SteamOS) installed side by side on the same PC
  • music applications on Mac OS X and games on Linux running stable
  • no additional drivers required for Mac OS X
  • Auto-configuration of system memory by BIOS (SPD/XMP) appreciated (I just don't want to waste several days figuring out DRAM timings/voltages to get my system stable.)
  • Auto-configuration of SSD, HDD & ODD by BIOS (SATA AHCI, S.M.A.R.T., ...) appreciated
  • LG 34UM95-P 21:9 (3440x1440) monitor @ dedicated NVIDIA GeForce 7XX GPU
  • Auto-configuration of dedicated GPU

Questions:

1.) System memory:
Unfortunately I couldn't find any system memory QVL neither on the CD coming with the AOS motherboard, on Quo Computer's website (currently) nor elsewhere.
Quo Computer itself is offering ADATA XPG V2 DRAM modules.
So I shouldn't run into problems if I pick an ADATA XPG V2 DDR3/1600 rated 16GB kit. Right?

2.) Graphics:
A NVIDIA Kepler based graphics card that supports UEFI GOP is recommended. My favorite brand is EVGA - one reason: some of their cards (still) feature DHES coolers. Their 7xx series cards are said to be fully UEFI supported out of the box.
Is the EVGA GeForce GTX 770 (P/N: 02G-P4-2770-KR) a good choice or is there a card that matches the motherboard & Mac OS X better?

I have problems to understand the passage "Notes on GeForce 7XX" in the motherboard's wiki:

Notes on GeForce 7XX
(From the OZ): Check your 7xx GFX for full compatibility per your OS

How can I check for full compatibility before bying a card?

What's the benefit to do the "7xx installation with IGPU (Integrated Graphics) Enabled" described in the wiki?
If I don't want to use the IGPU at all (disable it in the BIOS) and intend to connect the monitor to the GeForce directly (somethig I have to do anyway because of the monitor's resolution) can I skip this procedure?

3.) Sound:
I intend to disable onboard sound in BIOS and use HQ USB audio instead (I guess the onboard sound wouldn't meet my audiophile requirements anyway.):
Any solution based on Texas Instruments PCM2900/2902 USB stereo audio codec is said to be working without additional drivers on Mac OS X (and Linux).
Has anybody had a positive experience with this or another USB audio solution?

4.) SSD:
Intel SSD 730 Series 480 GB (just because "Intel" is my favorite brand for SSDs)
Good choice? Better alternatives available?

5.) Installation preparations:

• I've already set up Mac OS X in a VM on my PC. The only thing I need to do here is to prepare an USB flash drive for a clean Mac OS X install. Right?
  • I can simply use the Mac OS X shell for USB flash drive preparation or "DiskMaker X" - not any special "Hackintosh" tools. Right?
  • What is the recommended bootloader for my Mac OS X / Linux dual boot configuration? GRUB 2, Mac OS X bootloader, ...

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

I'm using Crucial 2 x 8GB BLE8G3D1869DE1TX0 at rated speed 1866, so you can go faster than 1600 if you want without messing.

SSD will need a patch to get Trim working.

Samsung 840 Pro bigger, faster and cheaper than Intel 730. Intel may have more over-provisioning though.

Use F12 to select boot volume. No other bootloader needed.

I use Griffin iMic with OOTB workiing to avoid AppleHDA patching, but I doubt if that meets your standards.

• Like 1

Avoid GTX 770, this is a dual-GPU card, OS X will not take advantage of the second GPU, get a 760 instead (or some other single GPU Kepler card)

Wrong, is single GPU and works just fine I have one(rebranded to Quadro k5000 with a small hardware trick)

My Z77MX-QUO-AOS has arrived. :)

Shipping took just 8 days (including weekend) to Europe! (According to some Facebook / forum posts I had expected 6-8 weeks!)

I've done a lot of research so far because I'm totally new to the "Hackintosh" topic (but quite familiar with Linux). So any hint / help - especially regarding hardware selection (see below) - will be highly appreciated.

What do I want ...

• Mac OS X and Linux (after release: SteamOS) installed side by side on the same PC
  • music applications on Mac OS X and games on Linux running stable
  • no additional drivers required for Mac OS X
  • Auto-configuration of system memory by BIOS (SPD/XMP) appreciated (I just don't want to waste several days figuring out DRAM timings/voltages to get my system stable.)
  • Auto-configuration of SSD, HDD & ODD by BIOS (SATA AHCI, S.M.A.R.T., ...) appreciated
  • LG 34UM95-P 21:9 (3440x1440) monitor @ dedicated NVIDIA GeForce 7XX GPU
  • Auto-configuration of dedicated GPU

Questions:

1.) System memory:

Unfortunately I couldn't find any system memory QVL neither on the CD coming with the AOS motherboard, on Quo Computer's website (currently) nor elsewhere.

Quo Computer itself is offering ADATA XPG V2 DRAM modules.

So I shouldn't run into problems if I pick an ADATA XPG V2 DDR3/1600 rated 16GB kit. Right?

2.) Graphics:

A NVIDIA Kepler based graphics card that supports UEFI GOP is recommended. My favorite brand is EVGA - one reason: some of their cards (still) feature DHES coolers. Their 7xx series cards are said to be fully UEFI supported out of the box.

Is the EVGA GeForce GTX 770 (P/N: 02G-P4-2770-KR) a good choice or is there a card that matches the motherboard & Mac OS X better?

I have problems to understand the passage "Notes on GeForce 7XX" in the motherboard's wiki:

How can I check for full compatibility before bying a card?

What's the benefit to do the "7xx installation with IGPU (Integrated Graphics) Enabled" described in the wiki?

If I don't want to use the IGPU at all (disable it in the BIOS) and intend to connect the monitor to the GeForce directly (somethig I have to do anyway because of the monitor's resolution) can I skip this procedure?

3.) Sound:

I intend to disable onboard sound in BIOS and use HQ USB audio instead (I guess the onboard sound wouldn't meet my audiophile requirements anyway.):

Any solution based on Texas Instruments PCM2900/2902 USB stereo audio codec is said to be working without additional drivers on Mac OS X (and Linux).

Has anybody had a positive experience with this or another USB audio solution?

4.) SSD:

Intel SSD 730 Series 480 GB (just because "Intel" is my favorite brand for SSDs)

Good choice? Better alternatives available?

5.) Installation preparations:

• I've already set up Mac OS X in a VM on my PC. The only thing I need to do here is to prepare an USB flash drive for a clean Mac OS X install. Right?
  • I can simply use the Mac OS X shell for USB flash drive preparation or "DiskMaker X" - not any special "Hackintosh" tools. Right?
  • What is the recommended bootloader for my Mac OS X / Linux dual boot configuration? GRUB 2, Mac OS X bootloader, ...

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

LG 34UM95-P 21:9 (3440x1440) monitor can gave you some trouble since it has non-standard screen/resolution, make sure you can return it in case of trouble.

@2 - should works just fine

@3 - onboard sound will surprise you how good is, (I have sensitive ears), o/c for pro you will need something better...

@4 - Samsung 850 Pro?

@5 - Official installation, buy Apple DVD boot from it and install/update.

If you install your Linux in UEFI mode you will not need extra bootloader...

• Like 2

SSD will need a patch to get Trim working.

Very good hint. I haven't come across this "aftermarket SSD on a Mac" issue so far.

... and yes, I'll take the 840 Pro rather than the 730 - especially since their price has dropped a lot - maybe because of the replacing 850 Pro.

Avoid GTX 770, this is a dual-GPU card, OS X will not take advantage of the second GPU, get a 760 instead (or some other single GPU Kepler card)

Are you sure?

The GTX 790 is the new dual-GPU graphics card and carries two GK110 GPUs.

Both GTX 760 and 770 are GK104-based single-GPU graphics cards.

The main difference between those two is the number of Streaming Multiprocessors (SMXes) used:

• GTX 770 = 8, resulting in 1536 stream processors and 128 texture units
  • GTX 760 = 6, resulting in 75% of the stream processors and texture units (1152 / 96)

GTX 760 cards usually operate at higher clock rates causing a (little) worse performance per watt ratio compared to the non OC GTX 770 cards. That's the reason why I try to avoid them.

Wrong, is single GPU and works just fine I have one(rebranded to Quadro k5000 with a small hardware trick)

@4 - Samsung 850 Pro?

What's the advantage of rebrandig the card to Quadro k5000? CAD? Better drivers?

If the TRIM enabling workaround does the trick for the 850 Pro, too, then ... why not? But I haven't found any feedback so far. I guess only few people use this very new drive so far.

LG advertises this model as "excellent choice for Mac users" ?!

I am not talking about OS X compatibility but at BIOS/SETUP GUI level may gave you some trouble, as I know AMI BIOS {censored}, and from my experience with non-standard screens, was just a warning for you, not saying will not work, just make sure you can return it, worst case scenario...

Trim enabler workaround is for any SSD.

The rebrand is for virtualisation(mostly was for fun to do it).

• Like 1

I am not talking about OS X compatibility but at BIOS/SETUP GUI level may gave you some trouble, as I know AMI BIOS {censored}, and from my experience with non-standard screens, was just a warning for you, not saying will not work, just make sure you can return it, worst case scenario...

This monitor is almost a must have for me ... :yes: ... and I would bear some inconveniences to be able to use it.

As a workaround for the worst case scenario you've described could I just plug in my PC to my Full HD TV via HDMI (of the GTX 770), configure BIOS settings, disconnect it from TV and then plug it in to the LG?

i was looking to get the 29" LG and the 34 should work fine for you.

quadro cards do get extra drivers and features in osx even with stock kexts so a flash to a supporting quadro bios is always a plus

• Like 1

I have one(rebranded to Quadro k5000

Hi @theking,

I know its off topic but wondering why you rebrand your 770 as k5000. I also have the 770 in many systems, its a great card for the money, but what advantages are you seeing after setting it up as a k5000? from pure specs k5000 seems to run at lower clocks and TDP.

Thanks!

g\

Hi @theking,

I know its off topic but wondering why you rebrand your 770 as k5000. I also have the 770 in many systems, its a great card for the money, but what advantages are you seeing after setting it up as a k5000? from pure specs k5000 seems to run at lower clocks and TDP.

Thanks!

g\

As I said was mostly for fun, didn't noticed any performance improve on OS X.

After hardware mod I flashed quadro bios to get ecc payload then original bios back( with modified device id to quadro and strings...)

That way the card runs on its clocks ;)

Still ECC does not work, I can enable/disable it on prefpane, seems another hardware hack may be required.

The real win is for those who needs it on  hardware virtualization, for me was for fun :D

• Like 1

After hardware mod I flashed quadro bios to get ecc payload then original bios back( with modified device id to quadro and strings...)

If it was just about a simple VGA BIOS update I would have tried it ... but it's ... as you have  casually mentioned ... about soldering resistors / trimmers, too.

Maybe an option once the warranty has expired ...

someone can help me to find away to enable the wake on lan feature? i can't find that option in bios please help

I've found out that obviously the motherboard's Intel NIC solution is not the typical PHY one that can be found on other motherboards and that relies on the motherboard's Z77 chipset for most of its functions but a dedicated one. This means that you might have to enable the "LAN PXE Boot Option ROM" first (page 28 of the manual, default: "disabled") to get WOL configured. I haven't finished my own build yet so this is just a theory ...