Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,869 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, ellaosx said:

install rc script with emuvariable, then LastBootedVolume

Oh true, I forgot I could do that. I still wonder what's wrong though, I'm not sure exactly what value should have gone in there to set the macOS volume to be default...

Edit: Actually, the last used volume option doesn't seem to stick booting to macOS if change the value to boot into Windows. Ideally I should be able to chose the disk by name or UUID or other value. Any other ideas?

Edit 2: It looks like I found the culprit. The boot entry that Clover installed in the NVRAM boot options was pointing to the wrong bootloader. Once I removed that entry, using the full copy-pasted value of HD(2,GPT,A05A9816-69B8-4A81-A144-A918E58508E1,0x64028,0x746A2D60) worked for me.

Edited by WanderingAi

On 1/8/2019 at 9:06 PM, al6042 said:

Just tried the last official clover release 4842 and got the following errors while trying to check and configure BootChimeCfg.efi on my H170N-Wifi and Prime Z390-A:

1084557407_Clover4842-BootChimeCfg-Error.thumb.jpg.2f40e28621bd940ff562811527013050.jpg

Did I miss something?

I think BootChimeCfg.efi needs to be executable. Which, depending on where did you get it from, it might not be.

Personally I couldn't get my system to play the sound.wav file I placed in the theme folder. Not sure why. Still checking a few things.

Edited by arsradu

Nope, 

BootChimeCfg.efi was working fine, that's why the last command in the screenshot worked.

The errors with the other options were gone, as soon as an AudioDxe.efi-file was placed in /EFI/CLOVER/driver64UEFI...

Either as manual copy or with clover 4844...

1 hour ago, al6042 said:

Nope, 

BootChimeCfg.efi was working fine, that's why the last command in the screenshot worked.

The errors with the other options were gone, as soon as an AudioDxe.efi-file was placed in /EFI/CLOVER/driver64UEFI...

Either as manual copy or with clover 4844...

You're correct. After further investigation, it looks like I managed to reproduce the errors you were having. So yeah, it wasn't related to being executable or not. Actually, I think they're made executable anyway, when you drop them in the tools folder. Could be wrong thought. In my case, it was the "sound.wav" file missing from the theme's folder.

Still trying to get it to work... So far I managed to set it up... But still no sound on startup. I'm sure there's probably a mistake on my side somewhere.

EDIT: if you have more than one SSD/HDD with Clover on it, make sure you set the chime on the correct one.

EDIT 2: ok, so now I'm exactly where you are. Managed to set it up for boot (it was a total pain in the rear to find the correct boot EFI partition to load from Shell - for some reason, in my case it was FS11...) and tested it, working fine in Shell, but no sound on boot.

My guess is that maybe the sound output device is not selected correctly....? I don't know. What I do know, is that, Clover 4851 has an interface for testing and configuring the boot sound, but it always selects Device Output #1 for some reason...even after I selected Device #8, aaaand...pressing F7 to test that device will freeze the entire UI.

screenshot2.thumb.png.528c8b384dbd047e5e4b722f66d49c55.png

In my case, I set in the Shell the output device to be the one selected below (nr 8 in the list) but every time I enter here, it shows the first option. My guess is that the output device might haven't been saved. That's why it doesn't make any sound on boot.

Also, as I said, pressing F7 here will freeze the interface without making any sound.

screenshot3.thumb.png.c76faa99e3cb8460c679310c76e5f72a.png

Interestingly enough, it seems to have remembered the correct volume setting (60%). But not the output device.

Edited by arsradu

10 hours ago, Slice said:

Correct to

extern UINT8 EmbeddedSound[];

Thats the first thing I tried throws up another error 

/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/StartupSound.c: In function 'StartupSoundPlay':
/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/StartupSound.c:81:14: error: assignment to 'UINT8 *' {aka 'unsigned char *'} from 'UINT8' {aka 'unsigned char'} makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Werror=int-conversion]
     FileData = EmbeddedSound;
              ^
[CC] ntfscomp
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make: *** [/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Build/Clover/RELEASE_GCC53/X64/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/OUTPUT/Platform/StartupSound.obj] Error 1

build.py...
 : error 7000: Failed to execute command
	make tbuild [/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Build/Clover/RELEASE_GCC53/X64/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit]

build.py...
 : error F002: Failed to build module
	/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit.inf [X64, GCC53, RELEASE]

- Failed -
Build end time: 05:28:45, Jan.19 2019
Build total time: 00:00:41

o_Ops, ./ebuild.sh exited with error(s), aborting..

14 hours ago, Dr. Hurt said:

The boot chime works perfectly using AudioDXE.efi and BootChimeDXE.efi in the drivers64 folder. Those (and only those) two drivers are enough to get the chime going when the macOS boot entry is selected in Clover.

The only annoyance for me is that Clover takes 3 extra seconds to start. Hopefully that will be slightly optimized in the future.

PS. My laptop does have UEFI but its disabled. I'm using legacy boot.

That is exactly where I had those two files. As I said, I got chime to work in Clover Shell, but it wouldn’t play on regular boot.

I am also confused, where do I acquire those files? There seems to be some confusion about where to obtain those files.

Edited by pkdesign

@cecekpawon

I tried that, too. 

On startup, it says: "No device outputs were found. Ensure AudioDxe is loaded."

Well...boot log says AudioDxe is loaded...

0:152  0:000  Loading AudioDxe-64.efi  status=Success
0:153  0:001   - driver needs connecting

Any idea?

Edited by arsradu

15 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@cecekpawon

I tried that, too. 

On startup, it says: "No device outputs were found. Ensure AudioDxe is loaded."

Well...it is present in drivers64UEFI...not sure if it's loaded though.

Any idea?

Try to clear the previous settings. To do this, choose option x, then s and v :) it also makes sense to check if the latest AudioDxe-64.efi or AudioDxe.efi is present in the drivers64UEFI folder.

12 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

Thats the first thing I tried throws up another error 

/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/StartupSound.c: In function 'StartupSoundPlay':
/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/StartupSound.c:81:14: error: assignment to 'UINT8 *' {aka 'unsigned char *'} from 'UINT8' {aka 'unsigned char'} makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Werror=int-conversion]
     FileData = EmbeddedSound;
              ^
[CC] ntfscomp
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make: *** [/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Build/Clover/RELEASE_GCC53/X64/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/OUTPUT/Platform/StartupSound.obj] Error 1

build.py...
 : error 7000: Failed to execute command
	make tbuild [/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Build/Clover/RELEASE_GCC53/X64/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit]

build.py...
 : error F002: Failed to build module
	/Users/stlvnub/src/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit.inf [X64, GCC53, RELEASE]

- Failed -
Build end time: 05:28:45, Jan.19 2019
Build total time: 00:00:41

o_Ops, ./ebuild.sh exited with error(s), aborting..

Same with XCODE

Works with XCODE *EmbeddedSound

Edited by STLVNUB
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cecekpawon said:

@arsradu from your log it sure enough that driver were successfully loaded. If you are already start BootChimeCfg from GUI, I have nothing to says more. Not sure AudioDxe (Clover vs Official) version is really matter here _/|\_

Yeah, I am able to configure, test and set the wav sound I put in my selected theme (Minimalism). It respects the file name (sound.wav), the sample rate (44.1KHz) and the bits per sample (16bps). So... I would say the file is ok, the locations are ok (otherwise I think I wouldn't have been able to test and configure boot sound in the first place), still, upon startup, it says the output device is not found, and ensure AudioDxe is loaded... So...not sure what to say. :)) All seems to be working properly. Still, it doesn't. :))

And I'm using Clover 4851 (with the built-in AudioDxe) which in this exact commit it says: "update AudioDxe driver to sync with origin". So...I guess there shouldn't be a difference anymore, should it?

If you have another version of AudioDxe, I would love to give it a try.

Update: nevermind. IT WORKS! :)) It just works AFTER selecting the boot drive, not before, as it probably should, and as Clover's AudioDxe is probably trying to achieve.

I guess Clover's AudioDxe is not (yet) compatible with the prebuilt BootChimeCfg.efi? Ooor...there's something missing somewhere.

Bottom line, what did I do is: I got Goldfish's sources, compiled everything on my machine, used AudioDxe.efi, BootChimeDxe.efi in /drivers64UEFI and BootChimeCfg.efi and HdaCodecDump.efi in /tools and it works. :)

Also, one thing to note is that I had to shut down my computer, and then restart. Simple restart didn't do it for me. Don't know why. Also, there was no error anymore. So I guess they're not compatible yet. So the config file doesn't see the AudioDxe file from Clover. But if it's built with it...it does.

There are also other files, such as BootChimeDxe and HdaCodecDump which are missing from the Clover's instructions. They might not be needed. I just took everything as it was from the compiled sources. Just to have all the possible chances of this to work. And, what do you know? It does. :))

I'll test a few more things now and let you know if I find anything interesting.

Edited by arsradu

18 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yeah, I am able to configure, test and set the wav sound I put in my selected theme (Minimalism). It respects the file name (sound.wav), the bitrate (44.1KHz) and the bps (16bps). So... I would say the file is ok, the locations are ok (otherwise I think I wouldn't have been able to test and configure boot sound in the first place), still, upon startup, it says the output device is not found, and ensure AudioDxe is loaded... So...not sure what to say. :)) All seems to be working properly. Still, it doesn't. :))

And I'm using Clover 4851 (with the built-in AudioDxe) which in this exact commit it says: "update AudioDxe driver to sync with origin". So...I guess there shouldn't be a difference anymore, should it?

If you have another version of AudioDxe, I would love to give it a try.

I am using a driver (official Goldfish64 build). The built in clover 4851 doesn't work properly for me. In the driver folder, I have BootChimeDxe.efi, which contains the ta-da sound. When I try to use the built-in (AudioDxe-64.efi) driver, I have no sound, and if I try to configure its parameters from the Clover menu, everything hangs and the previous settings are erased from the nvram. I am attaching the complete package I have just build in the archive. I apologize for my bad english. I'm from Russia.

AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE.zip

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MakAsus said:

I am using a driver (official Goldfish64 build). The built in clover 4851 doesn't work properly for me. In the driver folder, I have BootChimeDxe.efi, which contains the ta-da sound. When I try to use the built-in (AudioDxe-64.efi) driver, I have no sound, and if I try to configure its parameters from the Clover menu, everything hangs and the previous settings are erased from the nvram. I am attaching the complete package I have just build in the archive. I apologize for my bad english. I'm from Russia.

AudioPkg-R1-RELEASE.zip

Thanks, man. :) Yeah, if you read the update on my previous post, you'll see I did the exact same thing. :)) And it does work. As I said, it works in a different way though. Meaning the sound is played back after selecting the boot drive, not before, as I saw in one of the earlier posts, and as I think Clover is trying to achieve with its AudioDxe driver (when loading the theme). But it does work, if you're using all the files from the same source and you have them correctly placed in their locations.

By the way, your English is quite good actually. :)) And I'm pretty sure very few people on this forum are actually native speakers. So don't worry about it. :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 4:00 PM, Dr. Hurt said:

The only annoyance for me is that Clover takes 3 extra seconds to start. Hopefully that will be slightly optimized in the future.

Weird with VM, I don't use AudioDxe* BootChime *.efi related on ..\drivers* ..\tools folder, neither any *.wav file for theme.. but still, it took some secs loading the GUI. What do you think?

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, cecekpawon said:

@arsradu @MakAsus The sound on after selecting boot device must be come from BootChimeDxe. While on before Clover GUI / theme changes / within GUI are from Clover internal player. Agreed, AudioDxe will took sometimes to load, you may check it with BUILD_TARGETS=DEBUG while compiling.

You are correct. That's indeed the source of the sound, just like MakAsus mentioned above. Removing that will also remove the sound after selecting the boot drive. :) I'm sure things will improve over time. And whatever is causing it not to work right now, I'm sure will be fixed. 

To be honest, I never thought I'd see the day a hackintosh will play that legendary Mac chime. :)) This is amazing, in my opinion. And I'd like to congratulate everyone involved in this little project for their amazing work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

You are correct. That's indeed the source of the sound, just like MakAsus mentioned above. Removing that will also remove the sound after selecting the boot drive. :) I'm sure things will improve over time. And whatever is causing it not to work right now, I'm sure will be fixed. 

To be honest, I never thought I'd see the day a hackintosh will play that legendary Mac chime. :)) This is amazing, in my opinion. And I'd like to congratulate everyone involved in this little project for their amazing work.

compile ➢  the source your self and its work

Works for EFI and Lagacy

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

compile ➢  the source your self and its work

Works for EFI and Lagacy

Thanks. I already did that. And it does work, indeed. But I was talking about Clover's attempt on this, with the sound included in the theme folder. That one doesn't work yet, at least for me.

• Like 1

@Slice when you have a bit of time, here's the updated ro.po file for Romanian translation. I took a look at the current one from SourceForge, and there were some strings that were not translated at all (newer ones, especially driver descriptions, themes descriptions, including the new SVG ones). Now they should be all translated. Also, corrected/updated some of the existing ones, as well. Poedit was also showing some warnings, due to slight differences between the original text and the translated one. So those should be gone now.

Let's just say I kept myself busy for the past few hours. And this version should fix a lot of those issue (if not all). :)

So, if you want, here's the RO translation for adding/merging into the source.

I also built Clover locally using this ro.po file, and I had no issues whatsoever. So I don't think you will encounter any issues either. But if you do, please, let me know.

Cheers!

ro.po.zip

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, arsradu said:

Thanks, man. :) Yeah, if you read the update on my previous post, you'll see I did the exact same thing. :)) And it does work. As I said, it works in a different way though. Meaning the sound is played back after selecting the boot drive, not before, as I saw in one of the earlier posts, and as I think Clover is trying to achieve with its AudioDxe driver (when loading the theme). But it does work, if you're using all the files from the same source and you have them correctly placed in their locations.

By the way, your English is quite good actually. :)) And I'm pretty sure very few people on this forum are actually native speakers. So don't worry about it. :) 

Thanks! You are right that "Clover tries to do this with the AudioDxe driver (when loading a theme)." This worked in revisions up to 4850 (revision 4850 caused in my case a frequent panic). Edition 4850 caused a frequent panic, and in revision 4851, the sound with the built-in AudioDxe stopped working, even if all the files are from the same source, even if they are located in their places. :( it just hangs if I press the F7 key, or it doesn’t play back anything either before loading the theme or when the progress bar appears. Although the outputs and level are selected correctly.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MakAsus said:

Thanks! You are right that "Clover tries to do this with the AudioDxe driver (when loading a theme)." This worked in revisions up to 4850 (revision 4850 caused in my case a frequent panic). Edition 4850 caused a frequent panic, and in revision 4851, the sound with the built-in AudioDxe stopped working, even if all the files are from the same source, even if they are located in their places. :( it just hangs if I press the F7 key, or it doesn’t play back anything either before loading the theme or when the progress bar appears. Although the outputs and level are selected correctly.

Yep, I think I also mentioned in my previous posts that F7 freezes the UI in 4851. Looks like I'm not the only one. I'll try some of the older builds, before 4851 but after the official 4844. See how they perform...

Update: Well, what do you know? Version 4848 works perfectly fine, with the same files in the same places. Well, the AudioDxe driver was actually the one built into version 4848, so most likely different from the one in version 4851. But yeah, it works. :D 

The UI in Options -> Startup Sound still needs some tweaking. But I was able to configure everything from Shell.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yep, I think I also mentioned in my previous posts that F7 freezes the UI in 4851. Looks like I'm not the only one. I'll try some of the older builds, before 4851 but after the official 4844. See how they perform...

Update: Well, what do you know? Version 4848 works perfectly fine, with the same files in the same places. Well, the AudioDxe driver was actually the one built into version 4848, so most likely different from the one in version 4851. But yeah, it works. :D 

The UI in Options -> Startup Sound still needs some tweaking. But I was able to configure everything from Shell.

For me, version 4848 works fine with files from version 4851. Most of the changes were in the StartupSound.c file. Unfortunately, I am not a good programmer. I would fix the problem, but I do not know how!

• Like 1