Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

If we use the newer version of Goldfish, should we use both of his AudioDxe & BootChimeDxe or only the BooChimeDxe?

You need to use all three binaries from his newest in that case. Make sure clover does not have a sound(_night).wav present in your theme.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, apianti said:

The previous version of AudioPkg used the device path string, which is not compatible across firmware as each does it differently. This is the one clover currently uses. The newest version uses the device path protocol, which is uniform across firmwares, and what clover should be changed to use. It really only takes reading the variable differently then converting it to a string in the way clover does for every device path protocol, then it will work again with newest. However, it might just be better to remove from clover and have external dependency on AudioPkg instead, since it is better to let Goldfish64 maintain the sound devices then add more to clover that will lag behind.

No problem, me too. Yeah its same issue, it set device path protocol in nvram instead of string:

Variable NV+RT+BS '89D4F995-67E3-4895-8F18-454B651D9215:Volume' DataSize = 0x01
  00000000: 64                                               *d*
Variable NV+RT+BS '89D4F995-67E3-4895-8F18-454B651D9215:Index' DataSize = 0x08
  00000000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00-                         *........*
Variable NV+RT+BS '89D4F995-67E3-4895-8F18-454B651D9215:Device' DataSize = 0x2E
  00000000: 02 01 0C 00 D0 41 03 0A-00 00 00 00 01 01 06 00  *.....A..........*
  00000010: 03 1F 03 0A 18 00 EB 3F-00 A9 06 D8 DB 41 A4 91  *.......?.....A..*
  00000020: 54 05 FE EF 46 C3 00 00-00 00 7F FF 04 00        *T...F.........*

Problem is with mismatching versions that do different things. The correct way is to set the device path protocol, so the newest AudioPkg is what should be done. Clover needs fixed to work with it as it uses older device path string method which is not reliable. Just make sure you use the binaries slice provided for now.

EDIT: You can use BootChimeDxe.efi if you make sure all the binaries match newest and don't have sound(_night).wav for clover, or are older and have sound(_night).wav.

I don't understand about New and old. Can we say The prebuilt AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from Slice are Older??? And AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from GoldenFixh are New???

i try boot with AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from Slice and use BootChimeDxe.efi from Golden fish, sound from Clover theme is loaded and good and chime sound from BootChimeDxe.efi is good too. But i can't enter desktop screen. There is no loading bar progress,,, i should delete bootchimedxe.efi to boot (i delete it from Shell)

Just now, Andres ZeroCross said:

I don't understand about New and old. Can we say The prebuilt AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from Slice are Older??? And AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from GoldenFixh are New???

i try boot with AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from Slice and use BootChimeDxe.efi from Golden fish, sound from Clover theme is loaded and good and chime sound from BootChimeDxe.efi is good too. But i can't enter desktop screen. There is no loading bar progress,,, i should delete bootchimedxe.efi to boot (i delete it from Shell)

They are both from Goldfish64, it's just there are changes in the source to change the behavior. You need to use the matching binaries from the same version. Read my previous comment.

4 minutes ago, apianti said:

You need to use all three binaries from his newest in that case. Make sure clover does not have a sound(_night).wav present in your theme.

I Read this,, so i can use CLOVER r4840 without editing / commenting some line in Clover file first???? if yes, i can try it right now

27 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

I Read this,, so i can use CLOVER r4840 without editing / commenting some line in Clover file first???? if yes, i can try it right now

in my experience, i needed to edit it regardless if youl use old or new 

1 hour ago, apianti said:

They are both from Goldfish64, it's just there are changes in the source to change the behavior. You need to use the matching binaries from the same version. Read my previous comment.

I used AudioDxe.efiBootChimeDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from GoldFish64. Just put sound.wav in Theme Folder
So
1. My time is 21.00 here, so it's night.. I reset NVRAM from clover. AFter that set Audio and volume from shell with BootChimeCfg.efi. And boot to desktop and reboot. And when i boot again, i only can hear sound from BootChimeDxe.efi, no sound from Theme Sound (Sound before CLOVER GUI). I generate Preboot.log before boot and i see log about "no sound found". I think this's because my time. so i set my time to 13.15 (day time). And reboot,

2. And i got No sound from Theme Sound (sound before CLOVER GUI),, boot into desktop and i only can hear Chime from BootChimeDXE.efi only. I pressed F2  and get preboot.log  before and i see "no AudioIo".

So, what's wrong??? What should i do to get sound from Theme and sound from BootChimeDxe.efi????

i use Clover r4840.

Edited by Andres ZeroCross
  • Sad 1

It's a pity Goldfish64 changed definition for "device" variables without back compatibility.

See how apple does:

efi-boot-device	<array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>33D4733F-CBAF-4B8E-A33E-6EB6244C5BF2</string></dict></dict></dict></array>
efi-boot-device-data	%02%01%0c%00%d0A%03%0a%00%00%00%00%01%01%06%00%02%1f%03%12%0a%00%00%00%ff%ff%00%00%04%01*%00%07%00%00%00%c0Y%c3%1e%00%00%00%00%a81l%06%00%00%00%00?s%d43%af%cb%8eK%a3>n%b6$L[%f2%02%02%7f%ff%04%00

Same but different representation.

I will propose to create own audio configurator as Clover already knows all audio devices. Just give user a choice for output number and volume.

Also I can think about digital sound and about Speaker/Headphone autoswitch absent in original driver by Goldfish64.

Just take a time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slice said:

It's a pity Goldfish64 changed definition for "device" variables without back compatibility.

See how apple does:

efi-boot-device	<array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>33D4733F-CBAF-4B8E-A33E-6EB6244C5BF2</string></dict></dict></dict></array>
efi-boot-device-data	%02%01%0c%00%d0A%03%0a%00%00%00%00%01%01%06%00%02%1f%03%12%0a%00%00%00%ff%ff%00%00%04%01*%00%07%00%00%00%c0Y%c3%1e%00%00%00%00%a81l%06%00%00%00%00?s%d43%af%cb%8eK%a3>n%b6$L[%f2%02%02%7f%ff%04%00

Same but different representation.

I will propose to create own audio configurator as Clover already knows all audio devices. Just give user a choice for output number and volume.

Also I can think about digital sound and about Speaker/Headphone autoswitch absent in original driver by Goldfish64.

Just take a time.

And i hope you can consider make BootChimeDxe.efi for boot chime before loading bar and sound theme of clover be friendly. It will perfect if we can hear sound befor / after GUI CLOVER. just my opinion

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do I get the boot chime with Clover legacy?

Which files do I need and where do I put them? Also, any changes needed in config? 

I'm using embedded theme.

Edit: Got it to work. A users' guide would still be useful though.

Edited by Dr. Hurt
  • Confused 1

Just tried the last official clover release 4842 and got the following errors while trying to check and configure BootChimeCfg.efi on my H170N-Wifi and Prime Z390-A:

1084557407_Clover4842-BootChimeCfg-Error.thumb.jpg.2f40e28621bd940ff562811527013050.jpg

Did I miss something?

12 minutes ago, al6042 said:

Just tried the last official clover release 4842 and got the following errors while trying to check and configure BootChimeCfg.efi on my H170N-Wifi and Prime Z390-A:

1084557407_Clover4842-BootChimeCfg-Error.thumb.jpg.2f40e28621bd940ff562811527013050.jpg

Did I miss something?

It's look you don't have AudioDxe.efi in drivers64UEFI

14 minutes ago, al6042 said:

That I noticed by myself in the meantime...

Question is:

Why is BootChimeCfg.efi in an official release, but not AudioDxe.efi?

Because AudioDxe.efi from GoldFish64 use different method to read nvram variable for Audio Device with old ones (Slice's prebuilt).

You can use Prebuilt AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi from here 

9 hours ago, apianti said:

EDIT: You can use BootChimeDxe.efi if you make sure all the binaries match newest and don't have sound(_night).wav for clover, or are older and have sound(_night).wav.

So i reconfigure my system. Update my CLOVER to r4842 from here https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases . I remove AudioDxe.efi, BootChimeDxe.efi, BootChimeCfg.efi. Then,

1. Boot into Clover GUI and Reset nvram. Press F11 in CLOVER GUI
2. Boot into mac desktop and add AudioDxe.efi to drivers64UEFi and BootChimeCfg.efi to tools and just use sound.wav into Theme folder (BGM_SVG) then reboot to CLOVER GUI (AudioDxe.efi and BootChimeCfg.efi is from here

3. Enter shell and set "bootchimecfg.efi -s 7 -v 100 -t". I use 7 because my lineout is 7
4. Boot into mac then reboot again,, i can hear sound before GUI CLOVER. then i boot to mac desktop.
5. I add BootChimeDxe.efi from GoldFish64 https://github.com/Goldfish64/AudioPkg to drivers64UEFI then i Reboot.

Finally i can hear sound from Theme Sound and sound before loading progress too.

Here the video, sorry for bad english. I attach nvram.txt and preboot.log.

Thanks before

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, working fine with r4842 even with latest AudioPkg (AudioDxe, BootChimeCfg), except... after power loss..

Seems, not related to Clover but NVRAM on my buggie firmware. It always broken after power outage (my laptop has faulty battery, sorry). On this case I need to boot into Windows (UEFI) via "Boot Manager" (not Clover) to get a working NVRAM again. Using this method however, "Windows Boot Manager" would be set as 1st Boot upon System Reboot and it overrides Clover (that I previously set as 1st through BIOS). Sounds silly, right? And sometimes "nvram -c / Clover's F11" not help at all for unknown reason. No problem on another laptop with (also) AMI Aptio.

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slice said:

Because  my Shell is better. It allows to edit config.plist which OpenCoreShell is not able.

OK, thanks.. not a proposition, just my thought if it' s possible looks like..

1. There's an Option on Clover package [ ] Tools: Shell (3rd party)

2. If user check it, provided Shell by Clover will be overrided by that one.

Nevermind, I'm still able to run ebuild.sh then replace *.efi before ./makepkg (for my personal use).

Are you able exchange/move files by mouse or you need installer do the work?

tools/ folder is not selectable because these tools not influence on work. They just occupy several kilobytes.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Slice said:

Are you able exchange/move files by mouse or you need installer do the work?

tools/ folder is not selectable because these tools not influence on work. They just occupy several kilobytes.

(Sorry, I don't really get what your 1st line means actually)

Yes, I'm able to manually replace Clover's EFI Shell with OpenCore's one as \tools\Shell64U.efi (before ./makepkg or after *.pkg installed). Would be better (I think for some with similar issue) if Installer do the work (user defined).

Edited by Badruzeus