Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

it is a known problem. Facetime, icloud, imessages, etc. won't work with the open source kernel. The only way these could work on AMD machines would be if the diffs were binary patches for the original apple kernel.

it is a known problem. Facetime, icloud, imessages, etc. won't work with the open source kernel. The only way these could work on AMD machines would be if the diffs were binary patches for the original apple kernel.

you're telling a developer of the kernel...

anyway updated without rolling back anything, as others said.

But Bronya, my clock is running a bit fast with your rc7 kernel fix, but not much, it amounts to about 8 minutes ahead per 24 hours. so no biggie but it didnt happen with your rc6/7 kernel. I cant rollback to them because if I boot with any of those I get blue launchpad icons.

Hi !
I found one really odd !!! 
1) If original mach_kernel from apple_dvd_10.8.5 - works icloud , imessage on  CPU INTEL iMac  !
2) if download original xnu-2050.48.1.tar and extract , then immediately compile , and copy mach_kernel from xnu-2050.48.1.tar in system . Then reboot and start system 10.8.5 with new mach_kernel , and i tried Icloud and imessage - don't working !!!!!!
3 ) i back original to mach_kernel and try run icloud - works !!!

WHY don't works iMessage and iCloud , if  use mach_kernel from compilation xnu-2050.48.1.tar ???? 
Who know ? ))))

Bronya, try to make hex diff , may be we found way to bypass icloud verification

Bronzovka, this is old subject.

I think it was Master Chief - but correct me if I'm wrong - who discovered it: no compiled kernel supports any of Apple's cloud services. The reason is Apple doesn't feel obligated to make the related sources available under the open source license it follows. So what we've got is kind of a barebones kernel: it will boot the OS, but nothing beyond that. That's also why binary-patched kernels or the vanilla kernel when patched-on-the-fly (that is, by the boot loader) fully work with these Cloud services. The only way we have support for all of them is somehow implement the AMD-specific changes via binary patch. I know, it's no easy feat, that's why nobody even tried.

All the best!

• Like 3

where I can download mach_10.9_3_rc7_fixed.zip. Link is dead. Thanks in advance.

Look under downloads or register to root86.com

Here is the download link: http://www.root86.com/files/file/469-mach-10-9-2-bronya-rc7-fixed/

After 10.9.4 I have this KP after every second/third boot.

Any idea how can I avoid it?

bronya rc7 fixed kernel

Hi ! MacPro5.1 don't support AppleTyMCEDriver.kext , you need change to other model ;)

nvidia, maybe others channel exceptions ...

Hi all,

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this and would appreciate appropriate advice.

Using AMD kernels for a long time AMD kernel developers deserve my deep respect and I want to pay something back.

I have lost QE/CI since 10.9.2 and found replacing IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to be the cure. I was digging deeper and realized following facts:

- it is not kernel related

- nvidia has changed default interrupt mode to msi in the past

- apple has changed msi interrupt base from 0x90 to 0x70 in IOPCIFamily-224 (used in 10.9.2) in 10.9.1 it was 0x90

- my rig reports

03.07.14 21:05:18,000 kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 88:119
03.07.14 21:05:18,000 kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 64:87

So IOAPIC vectors cover a range from 0x40 to 0x78 overlapping the new msi basevalue.

- modifying IOPCIFamily-224 (after release of code) to the old value revealed that QE/CI came back in a almost vanilla OSX 10.9.2

Attached is a patch and a binary version of IOPCIFamily.kext. I introduced a boot argument 'msibase=0xAB' to it. This kext let me do all updates from 10.9.1 to 10.9.4 with retaining QE/CI just replacing it and nothing else. It expects a parameter as in 'msibase=0x90' (the value I use) specifying the value the base vector should take. A value of 0x00 effectively disables the use of message based interrupts.

If someone would confirm my facts, I would be glad. Otherwise try to just forget this post or delete it by an administrator.

Please excuse me, if this post is misplaced and is of no interest to anyone.

best regards

thanks  now my AMD PC works fine :D

can this edit done through binary patch for future releases  ?

I update to 9.4 and try both RC6 and RC7 kernels, but same problem persist.

Machine boots fine but on login screen is all sluggish and slow and machine need 10 - 15 seconds to accept password and after that drop me again to login screen. I try with IOPCIFamily.kext but without results.

Have anyone any idea how to resolve that problem?

P.S. Same problem was with 9.3 update

I update to 9.4 and try both RC6 and RC7 kernels, but same problem persist.

Machine boots fine but on login screen is all sluggish and slow and machine need 10 - 15 seconds to accept password and after that drop me again to login screen. I try with IOPCIFamily.kext but without results.

Have anyone any idea how to resolve that problem?

P.S. Same problem was with 9.3 update

Try to paste VoodooTSCSync for AMD, maybe that will help

Hi Mohamed,

this exceeds my capabilities :-(

hi axmanA :)

don't know if this idea will help

we can compile vanilla code  of iopcifamily 

once with

kBaseMessagedInterruptVectors = 0x70,

and anther compile with

kBaseMessagedInterruptVectors = 0x90,

and after compiling  of this two kexts

take ipcifamily binary file 

and open them with hex edit and copy hex code of this binary to two separate text file

then compare them using file merge on Xcode 

this will show us diff when using 70 or 90 

then we use this diff trough fly patch on clover :)

hope this will work

can't test this as vanilla ipcifamily code doesn't compile  directly :/

Confirming that the 10.9.4 with AppStore update works great. There is no problems at all with update and the system is much faster than 10.9.3.

Bronya RC7_kernel here ;)

Hello everyone, i just joined hackintoshing and would like to know if any of these mavericks kernels would work on AMD E2-2000 APU processor and suppor QE/CI on Radeon HD 7340 GPU. Thanks in advance!

The best option is to try dude :) GPU's QE/CI is nothing to do with the kernels. Search on google and install your Mavericks and you will know :) Good Luck :)

Ok thanks, i guess i will try out kernel in VMWare virtual machine :D

Also, has anyone tried that GPU? I don't know what kext to use for it. I know installing mavericks on a laptop isn't smart, but it's look so reminds me of mac book :D

PS. I tried 10.7.4 in VMWare and i can't seem to make chameleon work. It installs but it never shows up, says only "Operating system not found", or when i use EFI firmware skips it and goes kernel panic.

APU GPUs aren't supported and will never be. Nothing related to the kernel. If we were talking about a Desktop APU build, you could always try buying a cheap supported nVidia card, say, a G210, and plug all monitors in it. It would have to be nVidia, though, because these APUs has the bad habit of trying to crossfire if you add a Radeon card. Even with the nVidia, there would be really no guarantees it would work: APU support is really problematic under OS X.

Of course, since we're talking about a laptop, forget about QE/CI. Don't even bother. Just use it with VMware and be as happy as the circumstances allow you.

Good luck!

• Like 1

APU GPUs aren't supported and will never be. Nothing related to the kernel. If we were talking about a Desktop APU build, you could always try buying a cheap supported nVidia card, say, a G210, and plug all monitors in it. It would have to be nVidia, though, because these APUs has the bad habit of trying to crossfire if you add a Radeon card. Even with the nVidia, there would be really no guarantees it would work: APU support is really problematic under OS X.

Of course, since we're talking about a laptop, forget about QE/CI. Don't even bother. Just use it with VMware and be as happy as the circumstances allow you.

Good luck!

Thank you for advices :)

But i am into another problem, i can't find any 10.9.0 or 10.9.1 working kernel. I found working ones for 10.9.2/.3/.4 from this thread but i can't find images of it working with myHack. Thanks in advance! :D

Hello. I'm getting garbled text in safari. Seems to happen intermittently.  I am using a GT610 and I didn't install extra kext to get it working. I don't encounter the same problem when using chrome or firefox.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm using the RC7 kernel.

It's not that important as I can use other browsers. Just worried there could be other problems I am not seeing.

thanks a lot

ps. 1st screenshot is from ESPN. 2nd one is insanelymac and the 3rd is from apple.com. 4th is from imgur.com. 5th is frontage of npr.com showing the problem and the 6th is an article from npr.com without the problem.

post-1276315-0-79804000-1405239358_thumb.png

post-1276315-0-30016700-1405239376_thumb.png

post-1276315-0-99082500-1405239403_thumb.png

post-1276315-0-45056000-1405239829_thumb.png

post-1276315-0-99478000-1405239863_thumb.png

post-1276315-0-59839500-1405239877_thumb.png

Hello. Did you have to do anything extra to get this working? like perhaps install a patched KEXT?

I'm asking because on RC7 and without using any patched KEXT (the only KEXTs I added is support for Realtek8111 and Realtek ALC8xx via VoodooHDA) and my mackintosh wouldn't go to sleep. I need to turn it off otherwise it's a big problem :P

• Computer will sleep Ok with all 3 kernel versions.

All Bronya's 10.9 kernels I've tested do work with myHack. Same with Lion & ML kernels he created as a matter of fact. Proof is here: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2061-dell-precision-470-670-workstation-snow-leopardlionmountain-lionmavericks/page-2&do=findComment&comment=35076

The kernel files are available in this very thread or in the download section of this site.

Do you know how to use them?

You didn't understand me, i've got the working kernels for 10.9.2 and above, but i don't have dmg files that work with myhack, it only says "Can't find system version on base.dmg" or something like that. And yeah, i checked for that file, it really is there.

You didn't understand me, i've got the working kernels for 10.9.2 and above, but i don't have dmg files that work with myhack, it only says "Can't find system version on base.dmg" or something like that. And yeah, i checked for that file, it really is there.

Repack the dmg file and try again :) Or make Installer without myHack.app manually or use Lion Disk Maker.app

If you meant the actual OS X installation image, well you need to use a retail image like those available off Apple's web site.

Yeah, that, but i can't get the one off Apple web site because i can't leave virtual machine running that long as it makes my host unstable and i can't find any alternative download mirror - not even on torrents (i find them there, but they are edited). If you find the image somewhere, let me know :)