Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

I'm installing Jas 10.4.7. on DS3. I put HDD on purple SATA controller, use DVD through USB, selected AHCI in BIOS. But installation takes a LONG time (it's installing right now) - it says about 2 hours. But most people say it takes about 25min for them. Anyone has an idea what's going on? Is it possible that USB is working on 1.1 instead on 2.0?

This is EXACTLY what happens to me! It said 2 hours and 53 miutes last time I tried. I haven't figured out why it's doing it either... :D

usb 1.1 is a possibility. Sabr you are using an SATA adapter on your DVD drive though weren't you? I've been racking my brain trying to figure this one out.

There has got to be something you 2 are (not) doing that I am (not) to get this to work.

Run the installer with "-v" and note down any error messages, I can compare it to mine.

A snapshot of the output during the installer boot would be nice. I just don't know how to grab it in bsd. I'll dig around.

I found out that usb 2.0 must be working ok, since i let the installation for some time and fiugred out from the installation reports for packages (how many files, how long did it copy, how many mb), that speed can go up to 18 MB/s sometimes.

Ill try to post photo with -v output

thanx

I just set the new world's record in time taken installing Mac osx - 6 hours and a half! B)

I've no idea why, but i suspect it might have to do something with these sata controllers, when I start my mac osx on purple ones it takes ages to load, but if i use the orange ones it boots normally.

I just set the new world's record in time taken installing Mac osx - 6 hours and a half! B)

I've no idea why, but i suspect it might have to do something with these sata controllers, when I start my mac osx on purple ones it takes ages to load, but if i use the orange ones it boots normally.

Exactly the same with me. However, when we use the orange ports, they operate at 4MB/s read/write :(

Okay, I *think* I've figured it out.

It is to do with the version of OSx86 we are using. I just popped in an old 10.4.3 disc, and it booted up the installation MUCH quicker than the 10.4.6 Goasecx and 10.4.7 JaS.

Btw, after installation I also disabled AHCI and set back to IDE and then used orange ports and it works fine now (on mac now).

Yes, but do you have full Read/Write speeds to your HDD? Use XBench to find out B)

thedguy, could you tell me the name of the torrent and the place you got it from please? Thanks.

no. Orange ports are on a different chipset that mac doesn't support. Windows runs fine since it has support for it (as long as you install the chipset drivers from the cd or from intels site).

To clear things up (again), the ORANGE ports are not influenced by the "Onboard SATA/ide" settings. adjusting that to "ahci" "ide" or "raid" will NOT effect those ports. They WILL modify the PURPLE ports.

the “Sata Port0-3 Native Mode” is for the ORANGE[/b[ ports. This enables/disables AHCI for these ports. This is why OSX won't work with drives attached to these ports when it's enabled. OSX doesn't support ICH8 and therefore SATA ahci on this chipset.

By disabling it, the chipset makes the drives act as IDE drives, and mac is capable of controlling them as very basic IDE drives (explains the slow speeds). These ports probably follow some standard IDE setup intel has been using for decades to allow mac to atleast see them as simple ide devices.

SABR: check pms.

Thanks for the PM's thedguy.

I re-burnt the disc, and I get no EBIOS errors. However, it still isn't working for me... Do you have H.D.D SMART enabled?

Also, something that will definately interest you, F6 BIOS IS OUT! :D

I'm going to download an install now. It says it helps (Conroe) E6300/E6400 overclockability! :ninja: They should get their facts straight though... They say Conroe, when it should be Allendale...

I knew about F6. I happened to catch it about an hour after release, did nothing for me :( .

I usually enable smart, but I've reset and messed with my BIOS so many times, I don't know anymore.

Well, here's an interesting piece of information about HDD Smart. If I enable it, I get a panic, but if I dont, it just takes ages to load... :)

So how come yours can run with HDD Smart enabled? This is just so annoying - all I want is to run it like you guys! :(

I use Geil on 2.0V.

If I run with -x -v when booting mac, it displays hundreds of lines saying sth, and at the end it reports "Errors encountered when starting computer" and then goes into Checking HDD which takes ages (I never let it finish yet). Does it display this for anyone else?

What is typical score in Xbench for HDD?

So how come yours can run with HDD Smart enabled? This is just so annoying - all I want is to run it like you guys! :)

And the disgusting part about this is, I really don't care to run osx. This is just a project to see if I can get it to work.

Can you burn with your IDE DVD-rw connected to the SATA converter in windows? My system refuses to burn properly. It see's the drive properly and (most of the time) recognizes the discs fine, but if I try and actually burn no luck. I've tried changing ports, changing the setup of the ports (ahci/ide/native mode etc...)

I'm about ready to shoot it, or throw my dvd burner on my linux server and say fug it

And the disgusting part about this is, I really don't care to run osx. This is just a project to see if I can get it to work.

Can you burn with your IDE DVD-rw connected to the SATA converter in windows? My system refuses to burn properly. It see's the drive properly and (most of the time) recognizes the discs fine, but if I try and actually burn no luck. I've tried changing ports, changing the setup of the ports (ahci/ide/native mode etc...)

I'm about ready to shoot it, or throw my dvd burner on my linux server and say fug it

Yep, I even burnt the JaS 10.4.7 ISO Re-Pack on it...

Hi SABR,

I strongly get the feeling that you are missing something very basic. Are you absolutley sure that ALL settings are the same? Maybe go through ALL the menus 1 by 1 and check them with thedguy? Remove windows and run your cpu at normal level again. This should not have to do anything with but just to erase possible factors. Did you use the exact and same copy of OS X as thedguy and conroemac ? What type of burner do you have ? What different HD do you have? Really I think this MUST be a small difference that we all miss. Also the connectors: is it the correct one? Is it in good condition? No pins broken or something check it! Also check the connectors on your motherboard. All SATA and IDE connectors in good condition?

Best would be then after you ruled out other factors if you could try the mobo with completely different ram, hd, cpu etc... So you can see if the mobo works or not with other hardware. You have to rule out some factor sooner or later. This is too messy you cant tell what causes your problem so you cant possibly find out what is wrong.

xerxes

Sabr, you should check your HD.

If can you install osx (even if it takes 3 hours) it means that your settings are ok.

To have the best performance, use sata II HDs.

Plug it to the first purple AHCI port.

In my case, i`ve used USB DVD Driver, Instalation on orange portsm (purple ports werent discovered yeat).

Updated to JAS 10.4.7.

Everything went smooth.

Good look.

mm sucess on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

installation only took 46min ish

Sound working using the edit and lan work out of the box.

using Nec DVD-Rw drive with Abit Serillel 2 sata convertor on orange sata port and seagate HD on purple port. i dont't feel any slow down with the HD.

love it so far.

great work guys! Im a pc overclocker and my roommate's a graphic artist... I was looking to get back into osx installation after building my new conroe.. anyone xbench after OCing past 3ghz? im currious how these systems stack up to the new powermacs and old G5s. :)

Im going ds3, cant wait to get this going again. currently, im on a sempron64-2500+ @ 2.4ghz..

Hi SABR,

I strongly get the feeling that you are missing something very basic. Are you absolutley sure that ALL settings are the same? Maybe go through ALL the menus 1 by 1 and check them with thedguy? Remove windows and run your cpu at normal level again. This should not have to do anything with but just to erase possible factors. Did you use the exact and same copy of OS X as thedguy and conroemac ? What type of burner do you have ? What different HD do you have? Really I think this MUST be a small difference that we all miss. Also the connectors: is it the correct one? Is it in good condition? No pins broken or something check it! Also check the connectors on your motherboard. All SATA and IDE connectors in good condition?

Best would be then after you ruled out other factors if you could try the mobo with completely different ram, hd, cpu etc... So you can see if the mobo works or not with other hardware. You have to rule out some factor sooner or later. This is too messy you cant tell what causes your problem so you cant possibly find out what is wrong.

xerxes

Ok, I have reverted the BIOS to fail-safe mode. Then I made the necessary changes in the BIOS - I still get the problem. It's not a BIOS problem.

My converter is fine, it works perfect in Windows, I can burn CD's and DVD's. The converter is fine.

I have the EXACT same file (JaS 10.4.7 ISO Repack). thedguy and I compared the file size, and it matches exactly (2.89 GB).

The connectors are working fine, Windows XP detects my HDD and DVD-RW perfectly.

I have tried the exact same settings with an old 10.4.3 bootable DVD, and it booted up nice and quickly, just as it should. Unfortunately, the installer didn't detect my HDD, so I couldn't install it. I then changed back to the 10.4.7 disc, and I have these problems again. This is why I feel it is to do with the OSx86 version compatibility with my hardware.

However, it may be my HDD, if you think about it. 10.4.3 didn't see my HDD. This means that if it can't see it, it (the HDD) is not going to affect anything. Then, when I insert the 10.4.7 DVD - which detects and sees my HDD (albeit very slowly) - I get problems.

I have the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer. I see no reason why this drive should be incompatible with OSx86, seeming as it ran fine when it was on the orange/yellow SATA ports. So I think I can rule this out.

Sabr, you should check your HD.

If can you install osx (even if it takes 3 hours) it means that your settings are ok.

To have the best performance, use sata II HDs.

Plug it to the first purple AHCI port.

As I said above, my HDD is fine. It's also a SATA II HDD.

I have the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer. I see no reason why this drive should be incompatible with OSx86, seeming as it ran fine when it was on the orange/yellow SATA ports.
I also have the exact same HDD with exact same problems- Mac running slow:)

Can someone who has this HDD confirm he has no problem with Mac runnin fast on purple ports?

I also have the exact same HDD with exact same problems- Mac running slow:)

Can someone who has this HDD confirm he has no problem with Mac runnin fast on purple ports?

Well, that is a bit worrying then. I am thinking that this whole problem is related to our HDD. Pretty weird we have the same one :sorcerer:

Do you have the 250GB version too?