[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot! Just installed Lion on my GA-P35-DS3L system and everything seems to be working except sound (but I don't care since I only use an external audio interface). I just edited the path to the installation app in the mkboot script. For the first time the Chameleon graphics enabler is working for me...

do yuo have sleep working OOB?

Nope. I don't use it. I didn't run Finalize so perhaps the last two steps (# Sleep reboot issue &

# Sleep CMOS reset issue) fix it.

also, the dsdt autogen wouldn't work. I installed jruby to no avail.

$ java -cp jruby-1.6.2.jar org.jruby.Main patcher.rb

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jruby/Main

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jruby.Main

$ jruby -S gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

rake (0.8.7)

sources (0.0.1)

currently the only thing i used Finalize for was the Chameleon install w/ the Extra directory

Threepwood, & others, for audio working with our boards: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...221850&st=0

I want to install Windows 7 on disk 1 and Lion on disk 2. I have to install Windows first and then Lion I presume?

After I installed Lion will Chameleon (included in your guide) see Windows?

You explain how to make a bootable USB but in which part do you explain how to put lion.dmg image onto the 8gb USB? :P

PS. I have a P35-DS4

Thanks so much for this guide!! The install thing works perfectly. To clarify for anybody else, place the Install OS X Lion.app in your Applications directory and run the program from anywhere, with the optional DSDT in the extras folder (I just used my DSDT from SL).

Had to boot the installer with -x due to my HD4850, but install went perfect and then I just copied over my Ethernet kexts (Netgear GA311 and Intel 82566MM), VoodooHDA and tweaked the ATI4800Controller.kext for my gfx. All working very well, thanks!! (although I still can't get Minecraft to work on either card)

Hardware:

Dell Dimension E520

Intel P965/G965

C2D, can't remember the version but it's 1.9ghz

STAC9227 Audio

Realtek 8169 as Netgear GA311

Intel 82566MM onboard

Sapphire Radeon HD4850

Thanks so much for this guide!! The install thing works perfectly. To clarify for anybody else, place the Install OS X Lion.app in your Applications directory and run the program from anywhere, with the optional DSDT in the extras folder (I just used my DSDT from SL).

Had to boot the installer with -x due to my HD4850, but install went perfect and then I just copied over my Ethernet kexts (Netgear GA311 and Intel 82566MM), VoodooHDA and tweaked the ATI4800Controller.kext for my gfx.

I've got a 4870 and how did you patched this? So my lion_disk.dmg I have to put it in the Applications dir of the USB disk?

I formatted the USB stick in disk utility (guid partition), name is 'USB Boot'.

I got an error:

svps-Mac:Desktop svp$ sudo /Users/svp/Desktop/install/mkboot /Volumes/USB\

BootAttaching OS X Lion...

hdiutil: attach failed - No such file or directory

svps-Mac:Desktop svp$

I am on 10.6.2. But the icon of "Install Max OSX Lion.app" is not available. What can I do?

I tried to install it on my PC but when i boot from the USB drive where the installation is on it stucks at a certain point....

does somebody know how to get around that? see link....

My specs are:

Asus P7P55 WS

Intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz

8GB RAM

500GB SATA HDD

MSI GTX-460 Graphic Card 1GB

Gainward GTX-460 768MB

thanks

Screenshot

EDIT: well i fixed it by removing the DSDT.aml file. looks like i used a wrong one!

But now it's hanging at the grey apple logo screen after saying that it is configuring PCI! there is no error or anything else saying. also there is no spinning thing under the logo

Maybe this will help for those having problems getting your USB Boot drive made...

For Lion GM you have an InstallESD.dmg and have formatted your USB thumb drive and named it "USB Boot". Add your custom DSDT if you want per tseug's instructions

1) download install_dmg.tar.gz from the end of the first post and uncompress it

2) open a terminal session

3) type

sudo

in the terminal session

4) drag the mkboot script from inside the "install" folder created when you uncompressed the install_dmg.tar.gz after the word sudo in your terminal session

5) Do not mount installESD.dmg - drag installESD.dmg to your terminal session

6) Drag your mounted "USB Boot" to the terminal session

7) Hit enter and type your password and it will create the bootable thumb drive

My terminal session command looked like this

sudo install/mkboot /Volumes/MacData/Downloads/InstallESD.dmg /Volumes/USB\ Boot

Note that I did not mount the InstallESD.dmg just dragged the actual file to the terminal session

I did exactly what you did I get

Snow-Leopard-Users-Mac:/ User$ sudo /Users/User/Desktop/install/mkboot /Volumes/USB\ Boot/

Attaching OS X Lion...

Snow-Leopard-Users-Mac:/ User$

Why? I didn't mounted the InstallESD.dmg

Thanks a lot! Just installed Lion on my GA-P35-DS3L system and everything seems to be working except sound (but I don't care since I only use an external audio interface). I just edited the path to the installation app in the mkboot script. For the first time the Chameleon graphics enabler is working for me...

Hi,

Is sleep and wake working?

Mine is not.

TQ

Has anyone else problems with flash? And i still have these annoying bug that some forum pages reloading again and again! I recently installed Lion again, but same bugs.

Hardware: P35-DS4 with q6600!

No problem with flas for me.

My hardware is the same as yours, is in my signature

I can't buy Lion in the MacAppStore. When i try to buy it, i get a error message that Lion can't be installed on this computer. What is going wrong?

Hardware-Specs as of smbios:

Modellname: Mac mini

Modell-Identifizierung: Macmini3,1

Prozessortyp: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,7 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 4

L2-Cache: 12 MB

Speicher: 4 GB

Busgeschwindigkeit: 1,33 GHz

Boot-ROM-Version: MM31.0081.B00

SMC-Version (System): 1.30f3

Hi guys,

When booting off the USB, my computer gets past the white screen with black text and the black screen with white text, then loads a solid white screen for a second then goes to the grey fabric screen shown in the image below:

IMG_1741.jpg

The computer will hang on this screen and not proceed with the Lion install.

I have the following hardware:

GA-P35-DS4 (bios F14)

E6850 @ 3.0GHz

2x2GB Kingston DDR2 @ 800MHz

PowerColor Radeon HD4870 1GB PCS+

My desktop currently runs Windows 7 and Ubuntu, but I am lucky enough to own a MacBook Pro to build the boot USB on.

It's probably nothing, but during the boot (when screen is black with white text) get the following errors shown in the image below:

IMG_1739.jpg

Because I have the P35-DS4 motherboard I didn't bother including my own DSDT file. I have also tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes and =No. I have tried booting with -x. Every time, the boot hangs on the grey fabric screen, no mouse pointer, no rainbow pinwheel.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. And a huge thanks to tseug for putting this script together.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, after being on the grey screen for about 15 minutes, the monitor will switch off (as if the computer went to sleep). There is nothing for me to de except reboot.

The computer will hang on this screen and not proceed with the Lion install.

It's probably nothing, but during the boot (when screen is black with white text) get the following errors shown in the image below:

Because I have the P35-DS4 motherboard I didn't bother including my own DSDT file. I have also tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes and =No. I have tried booting with -x. Every time, the boot hangs on the grey fabric screen, no mouse pointer, no rainbow pinwheel.

Any ideas?

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, after being on the grey screen for about 15 minutes, the monitor will switch off (as if the computer went to sleep). There is nothing for me to de except reboot.

Some ideas :)

Maybe a PS2 keyboard problem or wrong SATA port you put the HD on?

@Tseug, can you help please?

I tried to follow your guide but missing some key actions obviously

Snow-Leopard-Users-Mac:/ User$ sudo /Users/User/Desktop/install/mkboot /Volumes/USB\ Boot/

Attaching OS X Lion...

Snow-Leopard-Users-Mac:/ User$

I'm on 10.6.8 on a vmware install. I previously bought the Snow Leopard from Apple store. Now, I'm trying to make a usb disk to TRY out Lion.

I've put the install folder on the desktop and also InstallESD.dmg. I copied the Install Max OSX Lion.app to the applications HD folder and unmounted InstallESD.dmg afterwards.

Any ideas?

I have the same error messages so they probably aren't the cause. I would guess graphics card but It's just a guess.

Where is the DMG version i dont see it,

I also get this error

Attaching OS X Lion...

There is no DMG version. This script is suppossed to be used with retail releases of OS X - not pirated ones. Go buy it.

Maybe a PS2 keyboard problem or wrong SATA port you put the HD on?

No PS2 keyboard or mouse, both USB. I decided to unplug all 7 of my hard drives (including boot drive) and optical drive to see if the installer would load. No luck, still hangs at the same place.

I would guess graphics card but It's just a guess.

I am inclined to agree with you. No other devices are plugged in except RAM, CPU, keyboard, mouse and Lion USB. Has anyone else had experience with the HD4870? Are there any extra kext files I would need to install?