[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Big thanks to Tseug for the guide.

I thought I would post my experience here in case it would help anyone.

GA-P35-DS4

Core 2 Duo e8400

7300gt (asus fanless)

802.11n wireless adapter

Retail Lion from the App Store

[...]

Hope this comes in handy to someone.

Could you provide me with the finalize output? You shouldn't have had to do anything extra so something must have gone wrong.

Being that this "Final Retail Version" released today is the same as the GM version could we just reformat our USB with your latest 1.0 and use GM 11A511, or do we really need to download the same Final Version?

From what I understand the Retail Final Version is 494 then updates after reboot to 11A511.

GM = final retail version

Both have 11A494 listed in the install package but the final version in "About this mac" is 11A511. If you have GM, you don't need to redownload the Final Retail Version

Hi,

I have installed Lion on my EP35-DS3R (bios F4) and now I don't have sound nor network (I Am posting from windows install). Does someone knows how I can fix this ?

By the way I thought the Lion Install would erase my previous Snow Leopard but that's not the case, it just upgraded it and I even didn't have to call finalize script because my bootloader is already there and able to boot Lion.

Hi,

I have installed Lion on my EP35-DS3R (bios F4) and now I don't have sound nor network (I Am posting from windows install). Does someone knows how I can fix this ?

By the way I thought the Lion Install would erase my previous Snow Leopard but that's not the case, it just upgraded it and I even didn't have to call finalize script because my bootloader is already there and able to boot Lion.

If you run finalize, network and sound will probably work. I'm also guessing you have CMOS resets on sleep. I haven't tested this so proceed with caution but in theory it should work (famous last words).

If you run finalize, network and sound will probably work. I'm also guessing you have CMOS resets on sleep. I haven't tested this so proceed with caution but in theory it should work (famous last words).

Actually I have installed manually RealtekR1000.kext (downloaded from sourceforge) and now I can go on the internet ;-) So maybe you are right and I should try the finalize option.

Thanks

Actually I have installed manually RealtekR1000.kext (downloaded from sourceforge) and now I can go on the internet ;-) So maybe you are right and I should try the finalize option.

Thanks

That kext broke sleep when I used it so if you want to go the finalize way you should remove it before you try.

v1.0 released 2011-07-20

* Modified to use standard Lion app location when bought from the App Store instead of specifying a parameter to the script

* Renamed org.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist

* Bumped FakeSMC revision to r495 (built from source at http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/fakesmc/HWSensors@495)

* Bumped Chameleon to r1174 (http://www.kexts.com/view/1500-chameleon_2.0_rc5_r1174_[vs].html)

Guide updated.

Thanks, tseug

Is the best guide, working 100%

Greetings from Spain ;)

That kext broke sleep when I used it so if you want to go the finalize way you should remove it before you try.

Actually I formated everything and reinstalled from scratch and launched the finalize script.

However when I restarted I got a kernel panic (something about HPET) so now I am booting from USB.

Mac-Pro-de-Vincent:install Vincent$ sudo ./finalize Lion

Installing Chameleon...

Installer: Package name is Chameleon

Installer: choices changes file 'Install Chameleon_choices.plist' applied

Installer: Installing at base path /

Installer: The install was successful.

Installing Realtek NIC kext...

Installer: Package name is Lnx2Mac Realtek RTL81xx Driver

Installer: choices changes file 'RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B_choices.plist' applied

Installer: The install requires restarting now.

Installing Realtek Audio kext...

cp: directory Lion/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources does not exist

I am also hesitating to reenable my custom dsdt.aml because it was working fine on Snow Leopard ...

I don't understand where does the finalize script put the different kext(fakesmc, Nullpowe...) because I cannot see anything in /Extra/Extensions ...

Actually I formated everything and reinstalled from scratch and launched the finalize script.

However when I restarted I got a kernel panic (something about HPET) so now I am booting from USB.

Mac-Pro-de-Vincent:install Vincent$ sudo ./finalize Lion

Installing Chameleon...

Installer: Package name is Chameleon

Installer: choices changes file 'Install Chameleon_choices.plist' applied

Installer: choices changes file 'RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B_choices.plist' applied

Installer: The install requires restarting now.

Installing Realtek Audio kext...

cp: directory Lion/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources does not exist

I am also hesitating to reenable my custom dsdt.aml because it was working fine on Snow Leopard ...

I don't understand where does the finalize script put the different kext(fakesmc, Nullpowe...) because I cannot see anything in /Extra/Extensions ...

You're running finalize from inside your installation. It wasn't written to support that. You should boot the USB drive and run it from there as described in the guide.

You're running finalize from inside your installation. It wasn't written to support that. You should boot the USB drive and run it from there as described in the guide.

Actually the problem was I forgot to put the /Volumes before Lion ..

Now the problem is I still don't have sound. Maybe I need to find another method to enable sound

I also have one suggestion, to be able to login again on AppStore I had to add the following lines into org.chameleon.Boot.plist :

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

I have the unpacked install folder on my desktop and I put my DSDT.aml from my 5770 gfx card in the Extra folder(Do I have to do this for my gfx card to run properly??) I run Terminal and write cd Desktop and then the code and I get this ;) please help!! I'm using 10.5.8

9CUOn.png

€dit: I tested it on my old iBook G4 that also runs 10.5.8 and I get the same error "sudo: install/mkboot: command not found" ? I need Lion so badly ;)

Whenever I boot into the USB to install it, select the USB drive to boot from in Chameleon, it stalls on a grey screen and just does nothing.

CPU: Core i5 460M

Mobo: HP 144A

6GB RAM

ATi Raedon Mobility 5650 HD

ahhh I can't get pass this "command not found" I tried everything!! Im a new to this terminal thing, I searched a lot in google, and tried to correct my $PATH, so the sudo command can work... but i still get "command not found" ! please help!

ahhh I can't get pass this "command not found" I tried everything!! Im a new to this terminal thing, I searched a lot in google, and tried to correct my $PATH, so the sudo command can work... but i still get "command not found" ! please help!

You did something wrong. Your install folder does not contain what it is supposed to contain. May try following the guide to the letter. That is: 1. download install.tar.gz 2. double click it 3. follow the instructions in the newbie section.

Mine works fine until it gets to the following:

Installer: choices changes file 'RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2b_choices.plist' applied

Installer: Installing at base path /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System

It's been hanging there for the last half hour.

Mine works fine until it gets to the following:

Installer: choices changes file 'RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2b_choices.plist' applied

Installer: Installing at base path /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System

It's been hanging there for the last half hour.

use the official realtek drivers from here

Ok fixed the network issue with the script and I can now boot the installer USB, but it stops and hangs when it gets to:

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 1018 goto Exit

Sound assertion "lme->fKextResourceLoaded" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 993 goto Exit

Seems weird since jenlot apparently got it working first time on the same motherboard :S

(Using a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H with a Core i3/Radeon HD 5750.)

You did something wrong. Your install folder does not contain what it is supposed to contain. May try following the guide to the letter. That is: 1. download install.tar.gz 2. double click it 3. follow the instructions in the newbie section.

The problem was the uncompress programs, I used Archive Utility to uncompress the install folder now and the sudo command is working! but now it looks like this, what can it be now? :D I have partitioned my USB stick exactly after your steps...

VSVL7.png

The problem was the uncompress programs, I used Archive Utility to uncompress the install folder now and the sudo command is working! but now it looks like this, what can it be now? :D I have partitioned my USB stick exactly after your steps...

VSVL7.png

The main problem is that you haven't acquired Lion by legitimate means. I won't offer support on working around that.