[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

tseug,

Noticed that in Intall Folder of ver0.7, avaRuntimeForMacOSX10.7.pkg & jruby-1.6.2.jar were omitted.

Any reasons for dropping this 2 files which were in ver0.6?

Thank You

They haven't been. :) Java and jRuby are used for DSDT generation on the USB stick. They are only downloaded and installed if a DSDT is not copied to /Extra.

*****EDIT2*****

XFX 5770 with the 10.6.8 drivers in the link above were a no go. Almost like there was minimal QE/CI - videos stuttered and Launchpad was glacial.

I put the Sapphire 6850 in. Lion Boot USB didn't recognize the HDMI port but it did recognize the top DVI. Full injection and no safe mode.

Good to know. I was thinking about buying XFX 5770 for Lion. Maybe that's not such a good idea.

The specific model of 6850 I got is this (description from newegg)

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

HDMI doesn't work native in Lion but I had an HDMI to DVI dongle and it worked fine. I'll know in a few hours if another 5770 besides the XFX works when my buddy comes over and we get this installed on his system. I'll let you know then.

They haven't been. :) Java and jRuby are used for DSDT generation on the USB stick. They are only downloaded and installed if a DSDT is not copied to /Extra.

TQ for the prompt reply.

I guess my question is why download the 2 files from the net if there are already available. Why don't include them just like what you have done for ver 0.6?

TQ for the prompt reply.

I guess my question is why download the 2 files from the net if there are already available. Why don't include them just like what you have done for ver 0.6?

They weren't included in v0.6

I don't think I'm allowed to redistribute the Java installation package. Also, they're quite big so instead of forcing everyone to download them even if you don't need them you only download them if you use them. Apple's and Amazons servers are probably faster than insanelymac's anyway.

In addition, downloading stuff on the fly is cool :)

The specific model of 6850 I got is this (description from newegg)

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

HDMI doesn't work native in Lion but I had an HDMI to DVI dongle and it worked fine. I'll know in a few hours if another 5770 besides the XFX works when my buddy comes over and we get this installed on his system. I'll let you know then.

Cool. Thanks :)

Hi, I recently installed Snow Leopard through the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Method and am now trying to install Lion as well, but am running into some problems and I'm stuck. I am running an Intel DP35DP motherboard.

When I first try to boot up the Lion USB through the guide here it gives me this screen...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3YXbP...feat=directlink

The only thing I have been able to do to get past this point is to remove the ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext file, but I end up getting stuck here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mTxcq...feat=directlink

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here's what I found out today

• GOOD - Sapphire 5570 1GB - works on DVI with GraphicsEnabler=No
  • BAD - XFX 5770 Dual (2DVI/1HDMI/1DP) - Doesn't work with GraphicsEnabler=Yes or No and could only get graphics in safe mode (-x)
  • GOOD - Gigabyte 5770 Batmobile - Works on DVI with GraphicsEnabler=Yes
  • GOOD - Sapphire 6850 - Works on DVI with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (Duckweed) - HDMI didn't work - had to use HDMI to DVI adapter

These were all results from bootable USB Lion.

I'm stuck. I've got InstallESD.dmg on my desktop and I've got the uncompressed install folder (which contains mkboot, finalize, etc). I open Terminal and type:

sudo /Users/sneezymarble/Desktop/install/mkboot /Users/sneezymarble/Desktop/InstallESD.dmg /Volumes/USB\ Boot

I get this:

/Users/sneezymarble/Desktop/InstallESD.dmg: No such file

Usage: mkboot <Lion install app> <Target volume>

So, then I mounted InstallESD.dmg, and copied Install Mac OS X Lion.app to my desktop. With InstallESD.dmg mounted I typed:

sudo /Users/sneezymarble/Desktop/install/mkboot /Users/sneezymarble/Desktop/Install\ Mac\ OS\ X\ Lion.app /Volumes/USB\ Boot

I then get this:

Attaching OS X Lion...

hdiutil: attach failed - No such file or directory

Then, with Install Mac OS X Lion.app still on my desktop I unmount InstallESD.dmg and try the same thing as above, and I get the same results.

I've also tried this:

sudo /Users/sneezymarble/Desktop/install/mkboot /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD /Volumes/USB\ Boot

And, again, I get this:

Attaching OS X Lion...

hdiutil: attach failed - No such file or directory

What am I derping up here? Nothing seems to work.

same here .. there's no .dmg AT ALL in the lion install app

in the script we can see :

BASE_TARGET='/Volumes/Mac OS X Base System'
IN_APP_DMG='Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg'

there's only a basesystem.dmg hidden in the root directory of Mac OS X Install ESD GM disk image

thanks for the guide!

the update went smoothly on my hackintosh (gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3; c2d, sapphire radeon 4670), sleep, lan, audio work oob.

after the installation i had to boot up with vga. to get dvi to work i had to change the framebuffer in the /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist to motmot:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Motmot</string>

big thx for the guide!!

Thanks for the excellet guide.

I have a working Lion GM on my GA-P35-DS3 and Gigabyte HD4670 500MB :D .

However after going to sleep both auto or forced, it can not wake up ;) .

Either it reboot or it just lose connection signal to my Samsung LCD TV through HDMI or VGA :( .

I have tried different options setting in Energy Saving Preference but none work :( .

What do you suggest I do to fix the waking problem?

Thank You and Have a nice day.

Thanks for the excellet guide.

I have a working Lion GM on my GA-P35-DS3 and Gigabyte HD4670 500MB :D .

However after going to sleep both auto or forced, it can not wake up :thumbsdown_anim: .

Either it reboot or it just lose connection signal to my Samsung LCD TV through HDMI or VGA :( .

I have tried different options setting in Energy Saving Preference but none work :( .

What do you suggest I do to fix the waking problem?

Thank You and Have a nice day.

I really have no idea of what to do with hardware I don't own. Maybe try to use DSDT Patcher to create a DSDT instead of using the autogenerated one?

What you do if you wanted to use the 8gb partition?

As the only things I have right now are 4.7 GB DVD and a 4GB Stick, and money is very tight until next month.

--

Also, I'm using the Mac OS X 10.7 Golden Master from the iMZDL team,

All System Spec's are met, and plenty of space for install partitions :)

I really have no idea of what to do with hardware I don't own. Maybe try to use DSDT Patcher to create a DSDT instead of using the autogenerated one?

Anecdotal for my Z68 motherboard but...

I used both Mald0n's autopatcher and the pregenerated DSDT from tonymacx86 with an iMac 12,2 smbios.

Autopatcher DSDT would sleep but have to wake up with the power button on the front and then go to black screen

tonymacx86 DSDT would sleep and wake up from keyboard fine

v1.0 released 2011-07-20

* Modified to use standard Lion app location when bought from the App Store instead of specifying a parameter to the script

* Renamed org.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist

* Bumped FakeSMC revision to r495 (built from source at http://subversion.assembla.com/svn/fakesmc/HWSensors@495)

* Bumped Chameleon to r1174 (http://www.kexts.com/view/1500-chameleon_2.0_rc5_r1174_[vs].html)

Guide updated.

tseug:

Would updating Chameleon from r1003 to r1174 and fakeSMC to r495 be beneficial if we already installed Lion with your .7 script?

Don't know. This is an install from scratch guide.

Don't know. This is an install from scratch guide.

Being that this "Final Retail Version" released today is the same as the GM version could we just reformat our USB with your latest 1.0 and use GM 11A511, or do we really need to download the same Final Version?

From what I understand the Retail Final Version is 494 then updates after reboot to 11A511.

Being that this "Final Retail Version" released today is the same as the GM version could we just reformat our USB with your latest 1.0 and use GM 11A511, or do we really need to download the same Final Version?

From what I understand the Retail Final Version is 494 then updates after reboot to 11A511.

I haven't tested it so I have no opinion, other than that I think you should buy OSX. It's uncool not to. :(

Working on my ASRock P55Pro (i5-670/9500GT) with my own DSDT.

Worked first time, and there have been no failures of any kind in 1.5 days.

My /E/E contains fakeSMC, ONLY.

After operation was confirmed, I deleted the -v boot flag from com.apple.Boot.plist as the revised version of Chameleon does not accept boot flags from the keyboard.

Its a good thing that the revised version of Chameleon will display and boot the other hard drives, too!

When I went to install Lion on my 10.7 Backup volume, I had to specify 10.7\ Backup to finalize, a small price to pay. Just remember that all values specified to TERMINAL which have embedded spaces must indicate those spaces by "\ ".

Attached is the original DSDT I used on my ASRock P55 Pro. It works for 10.6 (AKA 10.6.0) through 10.7 (AKA 10.7.0).

Lion has been running without error on this machine for a week. I have not had to go back to 10.6.8, and I probably won't.

dsdt.aml.zip

Thanks so much tseung for the guide and the scripts, and to peterhaas for sending me his DSDT and giving me pointers. You guys just saved my life and hours of work trying to get Lion working on my own. Seeing hardware accelerated graphics during an install is a first for me!

If anyone is curious, these are my specs:

Asrock P55 Pro Mobo

Core i5 750

Crucial C300 64GB SSD

HIS ATI Radeon 6870

Great that I found this tutorial for my board for installing Lion! I will try this, but I have the retail version of Lion from the app store, will it work with it? the file name is "Install Mac OS X Lion.app"

Yup, that's all you need besides the install folder on your desktop. If you have a DSDT, put it in the install/Extra folder.

Then, in terminal, type cd Desktop and the code from the tutorial.

Big thanks to Tseug for the guide.

I thought I would post my experience here in case it would help anyone.

GA-P35-DS4

Core 2 Duo e8400

7300gt (asus fanless)

802.11n wireless adapter

Retail Lion from the App Store

I followed the guide to the letter. Lion installed, although I could only boot in with -x (safe mode). I would get a kernel panic that named several kexts in the traceback route.

After booting into the new install with -x, I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], IOPCFamilyFix and a couple others, then rebuilds caches and repair permissions.

After that, Lion booted fine, wifi works, QE/CI works, correct resolution, etc. Sleep did not work.

Installed sleepenabler.kext and now sleep works, although when it wakes it can't connect to the wifi. It may be my wifi card, I had the same issue with SL.

Hope this comes in handy to someone.