[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have successfully installed Lion and updated it to 10.7.1 everything works fine, even PS2 keyboard after adding applePS2controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, but when I try to update to 10.7.2 I get "still waiting for root..." problem ;) I'm sure, that BIOS options has not been changed since 10.7.1 and tried to disconnect all non Lion disk drives with no luck. Is there anything i can do to make 10.7.2 work?

My config:

GA-P35C-DS3R Q6600 (bios F12) - 2.4 GHz - 4GB

Leadtek GeForce8800GTS512 512Mb

BenQ 22" (1680x1050)

Lion 10.7.1 + Chameleon RC5 Rev1174

Kexts : FakeSMC,ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext,NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Patched DSDT

Hi!

I have successfully installed Lion and updated it to 10.7.1 everything works fine, even PS2 keyboard after adding applePS2controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, but when I try to update to 10.7.2 I get "still waiting for root..." problem ;) I'm sure, that BIOS options has not been changed since 10.7.1 and tried to disconnect all non Lion disk drives with no luck. Is there anything i can do to make 10.7.2 work?

My config:

GA-P35C-DS3R Q6600 (bios F12) - 2.4 GHz - 4GB

Leadtek GeForce8800GTS512 512Mb

BenQ 22" (1680x1050)

Lion 10.7.1 + Chameleon RC5 Rev1174

Kexts : FakeSMC,ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext,NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Patched DSDT

I'll probably take a look at 10.7.2 when it's released.

I'll probably take a look at 10.7.2 when it's released.

Thanks for reply.

Maybe you are right, dev versions not always stable, but just wanted to try iCloud (IOS 5 beta5 is already on my iPod touch4) and iPhoto 9.2 beta.

Just will not let me install...

I've tried this method (MaLd0n), Tseug's Method and TonyMac86's method. I've tried several USB flash drives, different USB ports and different SATA ports. All of them give the same results:

After selecting the hard drive to boot from with F-12 (selecting the USB Flash Drive), the Chameleon boot begins and I select the Install partition and then it ends here with this as the last thing on the screen:

"Bootcachecontrol: unbable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist 
 Bug: Launchtl.c:2308 (24957):30: ....."

That's It!

I've tried using the other DVI port and tried using the analog video (15 pin) to the monitor to see if it switched to a different video output but I always get the same results.

I'm using a GA-EP45-UD3P v 1.6 with Cartri 0.8 BIOS, a Q9550 processor and an EVGA 9800GTX+ video card.

I'm wondering if it is the Cartri BIOS. Has anyone had success with THIS Motherboard with the CARTRI BIOS?

The only reason I haven't flashed back is because I have a perfect running 10.6.8 system!

Any suggestions?

Did a 10.7.1 software update ... and no sound device found anymore ? Any idea (tseug) ? Cheers,the dude

I have the same problem, I didn't notice it when I first reported it was working fine, sorry. I also can not make the usb drive again. Im doing it the exact same way as I did last time but its give me:

Usage: mkboot <Lion install app> <Target volume>

any ideas? The lion.app is on the desktop with the unzipped install folder, my drive is formatted correctly.

I thought that running the finalize script again might fix the audio issue but I can't remake my usb boot drive to try it out.

I have the same problem, I didn't notice it when I first reported it was working fine, sorry. I also can not make the usb drive again. Im doing it the exact same way as I did last time but its give me:

Usage: mkboot <Lion install app> <Target volume>

any ideas? The lion.app is on the desktop with the unzipped install folder, my drive is formatted correctly.

Put it in /Applications. (and download the newest installer)

IMHO, it's a good idea to buy an 8 GB USB to use permanently as a Lion installer since we don't get a DVD anymore. They are rather inexpensive these days.

I thought that running the finalize script again might fix the audio issue but I can't remake my usb boot drive to try it out.

It does.

After Installing the 10.7.1 update I have too lost sound, I have re run the finalise script but this has not made any difference. Motherboard I'm using is a GA-P35-DSP, any suggestions gratefully received.

It works on GA-P35-DS4. You might have to look for a different solution for your motherboard.

Put it in /Applications. (and download the newest installer) IMHO, it's a good idea to buy an 8 GB USB to use permanently as a Lion installer since we don't get a DVD anymore. They are rather inexpensive these days. It does.

I successfully remade the usb boot drive and successfully ran the finalize script. Although now when trying to boot it hangs on still waiting on root device any ideas?

I successfully remade the usb boot drive and successfully ran the finalize script. Although now when trying to boot it hangs on still waiting on root device any ideas?

No. Sorry. I have no idea what's wrong. Meaning: reinstall and restore from your backup.

I've solved "still waiting for root..." at 10.7.2 by updating Chameleon to r1452.

Now I have fully working Lion 10.7.2 + iCloud + FaceTime (to get it to work I downgraded Chameleon to r755, activated FaceTime and iCloud and upgraded Chameleon back again).

I lost sound after 10.7.1 too. I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to restore the original sound kexts, and then re-install the non-dsdt kexts for ALC998a (ep45t-ds3r)

Have no more clues...

The third pic shows where it ends.

boot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

boot3.jpg

Every method ends with this!

I've tried Tseug's (this method), Mald0n's and D-A-W's methods. Several USB flashes and even a hard drive for install.

Since I've never seen this go past that point I don't know what is failing.

Thanks that fixed the audio issue, and waiting for root in 10.7.1 for me too!

Are you having problems connecting to the iTunes store? It may just be where I use Pdanet ( Its my best option where I live) but I cannot use the app store or connect to the iTunes store. It may be something with the new iTunes?

Hello there,

Your script throws this:

"......

Packages/iTunes.pkg

52335623 100% 6.40MB/s 0:00:07 (xfer#49, to-check=0/50)

sent 3264984189 bytes received 1104 bytes 7411998.40 bytes/sec

total size is 3264582319 speedup is 1.00

Copying Extra to /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System...

Installing Chameleon...

install/mkboot: line 86: Installer: command not found

spark:Desktop Univac$

"

And this is how it ends. Is this normal ?! Please not that "Installer" is the initial name a HDD partition used instead of a USB s(T)ick. The script then seems to take control allover the targeted partition and then it does rename it to "Mac OS X Base System". The partition is Case SensitivE if this is of matter for the script.

Am I supposed to have a package containing the Chameleon installer somewhere in the Applications directory. I'm currently booting the main Snow Leopard partition with Chimera.

Thank for your time. Hope to see some replays.

I've solved "still waiting for root..." at 10.7.2 by updating Chameleon to r1452.

Now I have fully working Lion 10.7.2 + iCloud + FaceTime (to get it to work I downgraded Chameleon to r755, activated FaceTime and iCloud and upgraded Chameleon back again).

I tried your fix for FaceTime but when it verify my email gives me the error the server encountered an error processing registration????

Any ideas y???????I am on 10.7.2 11C43

I tried your fix for FaceTime but when it verify my email gives me the error the server encountered an error processing registration????

Any ideas y???????I am on 10.7.2 11C43

Your ethernet adapter must be en0, so you can try EthernetBuiltIn=yes on r755.

Hello there,

Your script throws this:

"......

Packages/iTunes.pkg

52335623 100% 6.40MB/s 0:00:07 (xfer#49, to-check=0/50)

sent 3264984189 bytes received 1104 bytes 7411998.40 bytes/sec

total size is 3264582319 speedup is 1.00

Copying Extra to /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System...

Installing Chameleon...

install/mkboot: line 86: Installer: command not found

spark:Desktop Univac$

"

And this is how it ends. Is this normal ?! Please not that "Installer" is the initial name a HDD partition used instead of a USB s(T)ick. The script then seems to take control allover the targeted partition and then it does rename it to "Mac OS X Base System". The partition is Case SensitivE if this is of matter for the script.

Am I supposed to have a package containing the Chameleon installer somewhere in the Applications directory. I'm currently booting the main Snow Leopard partition with Chimera.

Thank for your time. Hope to see some replays.

I had this issue when I was preparing the USB Stick from my MBP running Lion 10.7.1, 2 options:

You can change all instances of 'Installer' to 'installer' in the mkboot script = Dirty

You can add a symlink to to your system for the time of the install, something like:

sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/installer /usr/sbin/Installer

HTH.

Thanks tseug for the guide and the neat script to build the USB stick. It is simpler than getting Snow leopard ;-)

Got Sleep, Ethernet, Sound working fine on 10.7.1

One thing I wanted to highlight is the boot from USB on this card does not work by pressing F12 (at least for me) until you have put your USB stick at the top of the list in the BIOS menu to set Hard drive boot priority.

Note: it needs to be done every time you remove and insert the USB stick.

The reason why I am saying this is, if people have already got Chameleon on a disk, it might look like it's booting from Chameleon, but the one from a disk not from the USB stick, that led me to all sort of weird behaviour during the install until I figured that out, then install went smoothly.

Thanks again !

One thing I wanted to highlight is the boot from USB on this card does not work by pressing F12 (at least for me) until you have put your USB stick at the top of the list in the BIOS menu to set Hard drive boot priority.

It works, but you have to select HDD (NOT USB!) from F12 menu and then USB HDD.

Your ethernet adapter must be en0, so you can try EthernetBuiltIn=yes on r755.

ok ill try that at the mo eth is en1

no go for me changed eth to en0 put 8.8.8.8 and 8.4.4.4 in dns as well but still after saying verified error appears