[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Actually, the best way is to not use any program at all but just double-clicking the file.

Well if you have UnArchiver installed, doubleclicking will extract it with unarchiver... :)

I almost thought i was retarded... unpacked the file 10 times and could never find the mkboot script... :)

but now i got a new problem, when i run the command it tells me Install OSX Lion.app no such file...

this is the case, because i dont have that file anymore, since i installed lion on my macbook already. i only have the .dmg. but when i run sudo install/mkboot OSXLion.dmg /Volumes/Lion it tells me "Usage: mkboot <Target Volume>... :)

Well if you have UnArchiver installed, doubleclicking will extract it with unarchiver... ;)

I almost thought i was retarded... unpacked the file 10 times and could never find the mkboot script... :)

but now i got a new problem, when i run the command it tells me Install OSX Lion.app no such file...

this is the case, because i dont have that file anymore, since i installed lion on my macbook already. i only have the .dmg. but when i run sudo install/mkboot OSXLion.dmg /Volumes/Lion it tells me "Usage: mkboot <Target Volume>... :)

Go to the App store and hold "alt" while pressing "purchases". This will allow you to select "install" on the Lion app again. Let it download and then quit the installer. You should have lion waiting for you in the Applications folder.

Actually, the best way is to not use any program at all but just double-clicking the file.

FYI, the JMicron36xSata in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.8 is fully working under 10.7 / 10.7.2, and makes the Jmicron chipset appears properly under system profiler :)

(ga-p35-ds4 rev2.1 F14 | couldn't get Sleep to work except by using SleepEnabler, but it KP on 10.7.2 tho, wrong PmVersion)

5. Boot your USB device and install Lion on /Volumes/Lion as you normally would.

Can someone explain to me what step 5 and beyond are referring to? Am I doing this on the Mac laptop I just did steps 1-4 on, or am I doing this on the machine I want to become a hackintosh?

Also, how do you "boot" your usb device install...? You mean go into bios and set that as the startup disk?

I had upgrade my HDD to WD Caviar Green 2TB. I have the issue, that Chameleon won't boot OSX.

I got an "boot0: error". When i boot up from the Stick and select my HDD OSX starts. Whats the problem?

Is the HDD to big for Chameleon?

Any fixes or workarounds? What could i do to get Chameleon working on a 2TB HDD?

Thanks.

Great to see it supported so quickly! I was wondering how is support for the AMD Ati HD4870 X2 on this machine, is NetKas releasing a exotic cards kext? I remember netkas doing a post about Lion and ati cards:

Quote netkas

"ATIXXXXController now sets keys for videocard itself, if none present. so far worked for 4870, 5750, 5870, but not 4850."

I'm just wondering if the X2 falls in this line of cards aswell? Do I need to inject an aty_init kext?

Thanks for the effort!

I was planning on installing it on my Asus P6T, is there any prior steps I should keep in mind thanks!

I had upgrade my HDD to WD Caviar Green 2TB. I have the issue, that Chameleon won't boot OSX.

I got an "boot0: error". When i boot up from the Stick and select my HDD OSX starts. Whats the problem?

Is the HDD to big for Chameleon?

Any fixes or workarounds? What could i do to get Chameleon working on a 2TB HDD?

Thanks.

Just run the finalize script again for your new HDD. That will install a new chameleon and make the drive bootable.

Just run the finalize script again for your new HDD. That will install a new chameleon and make the drive bootable.

The finalize script does not solve the problem. Chameleon doesn't work with HDD's > 1TB. It's a reported bug (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=568.0). I only can boot over the USB Stick at the moment.

I hope that will be fix soon.

Regards,

Riley

Hi there,

I've followed the guide, (thanks!) but I've ran into a problem :D

During the first boot, Lion gets so far but unfortunately just sits there saying "Still waiting for root device" and goes no further :) I've made sure that the HD is the first device in the BIOS, but still the same thing.

Here's a pic of the screen - I'm really sorry about the quality, it's my phone's cam:

IMAG0186.jpg

ASUS P5G41T-M LX

Core 2 Duo

2 GB ram

9600GT

Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks.

Steve

EDIT: to reply to the post above me: sounds like your HDD that you are installing to is not in MAC format (journaled) with GUID (read bootable) partition. make sure that the HDD you are installing to is already in that format.

Hi Tseug, I installed lion on a seperate hdd, no problems.

Then I installed lion over my snow leopard installl and now I'm getting frozen in boot.

I receive the following error before it stops.

Usbmsc identifier (non-unique): 07a30209d5b90687 0x13fe 0x3623 0x100

0 0 appleusbcdc: start - initdevice failed

Repeat 3 times

Additionally if this can be solved id like to get rid of how long it takes to boot into. Right now every time the boot loader asks for me to select a hdd, when I do it in bios already, then spends a long time in a grey screen loading kexts.

Thanks !

Edit also it take a long time in the grey screen toread hfs+file:

Sys info

Asus p6t deluxe v2

I7

Nvidia 285

6g ram

edit again,

I notice when booting into my separate (first) install that it bypasses the USBmsc (which follows firewire) and goes straight into the next step. Also there is a failure in the firewire (which again precedes USBMSC) which is basically pretty similar in structure.

Neither of these errors occur with my Lion Trial install (which is the first install, henceforth referred to as Lion Trial install).

EDIT: to reply to the post above me: sounds like your HDD that you are installing to is not in MAC format (journaled) with GUID (read bootable) partition. make sure that the HDD you are installing to is already in that format.

Hi Tseung, I installed lion on a seperate hdd, no problems.

Then I installed lion over my snow leopard installl and now I'm getting frozen in boot.

I receive the following error before it stops.

Usbmsc identifier (non-unique): 07a30209d5b90687 0x13fe 0x3623 0x100

0 0 appleusbcdc: start - initdevice failed

Repeat 3 times

I've had the same error but without the boot stalling. The script has not been tested with upgrading. In general, upgrading is a bad idea - even on real macs. Clean install followed by migration is much better.

Additionally if this can be solved id like to get rid of how long it takes to boot into. Right now every time the boot loader asks for me to select a hdd, when I do it in bios already, then spends a long time in a grey screen loading kexts.

Thanks !

Move everything in /Extra/Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions. Add

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Hi there,

I've followed the guide, (thanks!) but I've ran into a problem :D

During the first boot, Lion gets so far but unfortunately just sits there saying "Still waiting for root device" and goes no further :help: I've made sure that the HD is the first device in the BIOS, but still the same thing.

Here's a pic of the screen - I'm really sorry about the quality, it's my phone's cam:

IMAG0186.jpg

ASUS P5G41T-M LX

Core 2 Duo

2 GB ram

9600GT

Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks.

Steve

Try to set the SATA option in your BIOS to AHCI. This mode is required. IDE Mode doesn't work.

I've had the same error but without the boot stalling. The script has not been tested with upgrading. In general, upgrading is a bad idea - even on real macs. Clean install followed by migration is much better.

Move everything in /Extra/Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions. Add

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Hi Tseug,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is there any way I can migrate my old installation of programs, rather than having to download/install/tweak all of them again. I can access that partition through my Lion Trial HDD, however i obviously cant boot into my old snow leopard? You talk of migration, that is to say not reinstallation, therefore I have some hope. Please let me know. Thanks!

Try to set the SATA option in your BIOS to AHCI. This mode is required. IDE Mode doesn't work.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

In the BIOS, AHCI isn't specifically mentioned, but I have selected Storage Configuration-->ATA/IDE Configuration-->[Enhanced] and Enhanced Mode Support On-->[s-ATA] and Made sure that the drive's Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Table:

From%20Sony%20Aug%202011%20014.JPG

But I'm still getting this ;)

From%20Sony%20Aug%202011%20018.JPG

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Many thanks.

look above

Hi Frogger21, In my BIOS under Storage Configuration there are 2 options, one that refers to enhanced as you say, and the other should refer to IDE. IF you select that option you should get 3 options, AHCI, IDE and RAID. If you cant find it, try going into storage configuration and get a screenshot. Or consult your MOBO's manual.

Hi Frogger21, In my BIOS under Storage Configuration there are 2 options, one that refers to enhanced as you say, and the other should refer to IDE. IF you select that option you should get 3 options, AHCI, IDE and RAID. If you cant find it, try going into storage configuration and get a screenshot. Or consult your MOBO's manual.

Hi there and thanks for the reply,

I've been having a look around, and from what I can find out, on the ASUS Enhanced Mode Support On-->[s-ATA] is AHCI... Post from a different forum

Anyway, here's some pics from the BIOS:

From%20Sony%20Aug%202011%20020.JPG

From%20Sony%20Aug%202011%20022.JPG

From%20Sony%20Aug%202011%20021.JPG

From%20Sony%20Aug%202011%20023.JPG

Many thanks for your help guys!

snip

Hm I see your point. I think Sata should be fine as you say, since thats what this thread seems to say:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t145451.html

but yeah, thats a weird BIOS. All I can say is that I know I had that problem when I had tried to install OSX on a HDD that wasn't formatted in journaled with GUID partition. My experience is that you can only do with this a Mac, I tried using some program in windows and it didnt work. I ended up having to take apart a friends external drive (which sloppily used an internal HDD, and formatted it using the same friends laptop.)

Hm I see your point. I think Sata should be fine as you say, since thats what this thread seems to say:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t145451.html

but yeah, thats a weird BIOS. All I can say is that I know I had that problem when I had tried to install OSX on a HDD that wasn't formatted in journaled with GUID partition. My experience is that you can only do with this a Mac, I tried using some program in windows and it didnt work. I ended up having to take apart a friends external drive (which sloppily used an internal HDD, and formatted it using the same friends laptop.)

Thanks again for the reply. I've even just tried a BIOS update, but the problem remains :)

EDIT: Oh, FFS! I've just tried to use my MSI Wind Hackintosh to format the drive and now that won't boot and keeps KPing! It's just not my day...

Hi Tseug,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is there any way I can migrate my old installation of programs, rather than having to download/install/tweak all of them again. I can access that partition through my Lion Trial HDD, however i obviously cant boot into my old snow leopard? You talk of migration, that is to say not reinstallation, therefore I have some hope. Please let me know. Thanks!

I'm talking about Migration Assistent that comes with Lion.

I'm talking about Migration Assistent that comes with Lion.

If I have to format the drive that currently has my old OS on it, then Im going to lose all of that. In that case Migration assistent would not be able to migrate from anything. I suppose I could partition the HDD and then recover from there?

edit: in reply to below, OK thanks Tseug! sorry to derail the thread.

If I have to format the drive that currently has my old OS on it, then Im going to lose all of that. In that case Migration assistent would not be able to migrate from anything. I suppose I could partition the HDD and then recover from there?

I don't know. I use an HD exclusively for backup purposes (Time Machine). Anyway, I think it is off topic in this thread. ;)

Awesome, thank you for the guide. Worked fine on my Gigabyte EP41-UD3L. I had to change the SATA mode in BIOS to Enhanced to be able to boot from the usb with F12. I used a DSDT I once got for my board. Everything except sound worked OTB. :rolleyes: Even dual display on my 9800GT.

For sound I found http://code.google.com/p/hackintosh-osx86-...20ALC%20888.zip wich seems to work great.

I've only used this new install for a few hours but so far it runs perfect.

Rock on ;)

Hi,

my board is the gigabyte ga-ep45-ds3 and i can't boot from the usb-stick although the install script (mkboot) worked fine and it's guid and hfs+ formatted. i don't even see the usb-stick in the bios on pressing f12 or in chameleon on my snow leopard disk. should i try another usb-drive or is there anything special required to make it bootable?

Hi,

my board is the gigabyte ga-ep45-ds3 and i can't boot from the usb-stick although the install script (mkboot) worked fine and it's guid and hfs+ formatted. i don't even see the usb-stick in the bios on pressing f12 or in chameleon on my snow leopard disk. should i try another usb-drive or is there anything special required to make it bootable?

Sometimes some gygabyte boards can be very capricious when booting on something else than harddrive (for instance I have a EP35-DS3R and I cannot boot on CD/DVD until the led on the cd drive is off).

SO first remove any CD/DVD you could have inside your drive.

If you use F12 method, please do not select USB-HDD in the list but first select Hard Disks and then select USB-HDD0.

Finally instead of F12 you should try to change boot order inside bios.

@tseug

Finally I have sleep/shutdown working, I just had to remove ElliotForceLegacyRTC and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Now the only thing that doesn't work is sound but it's less important for me than powermanagement. It's weird because before sound was working at some reboot but now it's completely broken.

Hi & thanks for the hints, problem solved!

In my case I have 2 HD's in my system (1 for win, 1 for osx..one is connected to a standard sata port the other to the gigabyte raid controller (purple on the motherboard)...which allows me to selected at bios boot manager which system to boot)..this is where my problem kicked in, neither the windows installer nor the osx lion installer was able to handle this setup during installation process, both got "confused" as to where the sys should be installed, the osx installer even crashed before the actual installer came up.

Solution: unplug power chord of the windows-harddisk before booting from lion usb installer! Then all goes well and after you finish the installation you can replug the windows disk and all is fine again :)

Bios update to Version F6 is optional but not necessary!

Thank you all & say hello to Lion on hackintosh! :D

I have EP35-DS4 (BIOS F6, 2009/06/19) and tseug's installer worked flawlessly (32 and 64bit kernel).

@gbuster: Update BIOS and make sure you have the correct BIOS settings.

@tseug: great installer, thanks!