[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Wow Dude!!

Fantastic Job. This scripts are made for idiots. 100% working of everything! Thank you very much for this great work.

I'm so happy with my brand new Lion installation. It runs smoother and stable as the Snow Leopard installation before.

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I have an issue with sleep mode. The system hangs in a shutdown loop. I mean, if i click go to sleep, the system seems to shutdown. When i power on the machine the screen was black and after a few seconds the machine power off again. I must disconnect the power cable to get osx working.

Could you tell me your BIOS settings and your installed firmware?

Regards,

Riley

Wow Dude!!

Fantastic Job. This scripts are made for idiots. 100% working of everything! Thank you very much for this great work.

I'm so happy with my brand new Lion installation. It runs smoother and stable as the Snow Leopard installation before.

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I have an issue with sleep mode. The system hangs in a shutdown loop. I mean, if i click go to sleep, the system seems to shutdown. When i power on the machine the screen was black and after a few seconds the machine power off again. I must disconnect the power cable to get osx working.

Could you tell me your BIOS settings and your installed firmware?

Regards,

Riley

I ought to have a signature anyway so there you go :)

So don't really understand if patcher works when calling from ruby interpreter and why it doesn't generate directly a DSDT.aml.

Thanks

The reason you shouldn't really run it on your installation is that there is no way to get the unmodified DSDT when a modified one has already been loaded. This is why it resides on the boot USB that doesn't use a DSDT.

The reason for using java/jruby instead of plain ruby was that it was easier to install on the USB. Also, It provides more flexibility if someone wants to modify the USB to run some other program. The JVM can handle a number of languages whereas ruby can only handle one.

That being said, it is a fairly quick and dirty patcher and it will just bail out if it finds something it doesn't expect so there's no guarantee it will work. It is not a general purpose patcher such as the DSDT patcher application. It will work on a number of Gigabyte mbs which I know because I used it in my 10.6 guide but your mileage may vary.

But how can i get sleep working? I have rev1.0 and F14 too. My Bios settings are S3 in Power Save Mode.

What could i do?

Forgot the BIOS settings: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77165

I had the same issue as you when I was messing around with the installation. It stopped after I stopped messing around with the installation :)

Anyway, I recommend that you try my patcher. If you want to run it correctly you can do so from the USB boot drive and then copy over the generated DSDT. If you added your own DSDT before running mkboot you'll need to run mkboot again with you DSDT removed from install/Extra

Forgot the BIOS settings: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77165

Anyway, I recommend that you try my patcher. If you want to run it correctly you can do so from the USB boot drive and then copy over the generated DSDT. If you added your own DSDT before running mkboot you'll need to run mkboot again with you DSDT removed from install/Extra

I used a generated DSDT from mald0n's Autopatcher. Please give me a hint how i use your patcher? Where can i find it?

Which steps are necessary?

Thank you.

I used a generated DSDT from mald0n's Autopatcher. Please give me a hint how i use your patcher? Where can i find it?

Which steps are necessary?

Thank you.

mkboot on USB without adding a custom DSDT. Boot into DSDT. run java -cp jruby-1.6.2.jar org.jruby.Main patcher.rb in a terminal. Backup your old DSDT on the target volume. Copy the new DSDT to the target volume.

tseug--great job! installed and running on my GA-EP45-UD3L.

a small question: the bootloader stops at the screen displaying the boot disk choices, rather than presenting a countdown screen as i am accustomed to with other bootloaders.

is there a plist somewhere with a key or flag that i can change to get the countdown screen (so no intervention is required by me once i press the power or reset button))

thanks

ken

tseug--great job! installed and running on my GA-EP45-UD3L.

a small question: the bootloader stops at the screen displaying the boot disk choices, rather than presenting a countdown screen as i am accustomed to with other bootloaders.

is there a plist somewhere with a key or flag that i can change to get the countdown screen (so no intervention is required by me once i press the power or reset button))

thanks

ken

Yes. It used to be in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist but the name has been changed to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Put in

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

for a two second timeout.

mkboot on USB without adding a custom DSDT. Boot into DSDT. run java -cp jruby-1.6.2.jar org.jruby.Main patcher.rb in a terminal. Backup your old DSDT on the target volume. Copy the new DSDT to the target volume.

I got the following Error:

Errno::EACCESS: Permission denied - dsdt.dat

Any ideas?

EDIT: OK. I start finalize again and the new DSDT was generated. Sleep mode works fine now. Thanks.

Hi,

I have the same problem as JungMin, in the meantime I found several other posts here with similar motherboards that just reset before the installer even starts.

My motherboard is a GA EP35-DS4 (Bios 01/02/2008), Geforce 8800 GT.. System boots fine from usb, loads the kernel kexts and then I guess the Installer should start up, this is exactly where the system just resets without warning...

I tried the version from the app store as well as the goldenmaster,following the instructions in this guide here strictly..

has anybody similar problems & maybe even a solution yet? ;-) Any hint would be highly appreciated! :-)

Thanks in advance!

Please see the screenshot below, this is exactly what happens before the system resets...

5988215246_9ff129ec29_b.jpg

Hi,

I'm trying to install on the GA-P35-DS3 (currently running 10.5.8). I built the USB without issue and when inserted in the computer I can select the USB and boot from it. Files are loading on the screen, but then after a minute or two the system just reboots without displaying any errors. I never get to any graphical installation part....just a verbose listing of files that are loading.

I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas why the system would be abruptly rebooting.

Cheers

EDIT: Are there any special BIOS settings? Should I unplug all hard drives except the master?

Hi,

I have the same problem as JungMin, in the meantime I found several other posts here with similar motherboards that just reset before the installer even starts.

My motherboard is a GA EP35-DS4 (Bios 01/02/2008), Geforce 8800 GT.. System boots fine from usb, loads the kernel kexts and then I guess the Installer should start up, this is exactly where the system just resets without warning...

I tried the version from the app store as well as the goldenmaster,following the instructions in this guide here strictly..

has anybody similar problems & maybe even a solution yet? ;-) Any hint would be highly appreciated! :-)

Thanks in advance!

Please see the screenshot below, this is exactly what happens before the system resets...

5988215246_9ff129ec29_b.jpg

Try without DSDT.

@xxxrootxxx: It IS your GFX. Try booting with argument
arch=i386

That will fix it anyhow, but sleep won't work. A real solution would be buying a GeForce 8xxx or any later model. I was stuck on a 6600GT, same error. I got myself a new NV520GT for 40 bucks, which made my system work again.

@everyone: In case of problems try the arch=i386 boot argument! Simply type the command when you see the Chameleon boot screen, when you select your partition/drive.

Greetz!

thx for your answer...

is there a difference between the Asus ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) (GeForce GT 520 1024MB DDR3) and the

Gainward GeForce GT 520 1024MB SilentFX DDR3 ???

finalize one more after installing the new one ???

greetz ;)

Tried without, result is unfortunately the same: reset before installer comes up.

That's weird. GA-EP35-DS4 has been pretty much interchangable with GA-P35-DS4 in the past. My only guesses would be to try the 32-kernel as nathandw lays out and/or update your BIOS.

Hello tseug,

Installation successful on : GA P55-UD3, I7 860 OC 3.36Mhz, 4GB RAM, Powercolor HD5850 1GB

custom dsdt generated with dsdt Auto-Patcher (windows version)

Network (Realtek 8111C) 1Gbit full duplex ok

My Corsair HS-1 USB Headphone was working (stereo only of course) but not the ALC888...fixed with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] in post-installation (just select ALC8xxHDA) ..added too : Fakesmc plugins to have motherboard sensors in istat pro

Thanks a lot ... great job :)

thx for your answer...

is there a difference between the Asus ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) (GeForce GT 520 1024MB DDR3) and the

Gainward GeForce GT 520 1024MB SilentFX DDR3 ???

finalize one more after installing the new one ???

greetz ;)

Hi,

I see no difference. Is there a difference at all in OSX? I mean it's just identifying the chipset, that's about it. With GraphicsEnabler set to 'yes' in you boot.plist there is no need to do anything further than just plugging the card in. The system loads the corresponding kext and everything's working just fine.

BTW. The GeForce 520 has got nothing to do with 3D power. If you want a card for gaming buy something else. But it is sufficient for video and working under Win and OSX, it's cheap and silent.

Greetz

That's weird. GA-EP35-DS4 has been pretty much interchangable with GA-P35-DS4 in the past. My only guesses would be to try the 32-kernel as nathandw lays out and/or update your BIOS.

I have EP35-DS4 (BIOS F6, 2009/06/19) and tseug's installer worked flawlessly (32 and 64bit kernel).

@gbuster: Update BIOS and make sure you have the correct BIOS settings.

@tseug: great installer, thanks!

Hello,

Many thanks to autor for this great work. With this scripts I was able to get further then I was expecting.

I'm getting a black screen after NTFS partions loaded. I believe that the user mcbyte_it had a similar error.

Here is screenshot taken by him http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=98724. The black screen occurs after last line with "NTFS with name.... win7".

My graphic card is NVidia GT 425M. If this is a graphic card issue, is there any way to fix it? Run chameleon boot loader with some specific flags in safe mode?

I was searching for some kexts to add into extensions directory, but wasn't able to find any specific for my card.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Hello,

Many thanks to autor for this great work. With this scripts I was able to get further then I was expecting.

I'm getting a black screen after NTFS partions loaded. I believe that the user mcbyte_it had a similar error.

Here is screenshot taken by him http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=98724. The black screen occurs after last line with "NTFS with name.... win7".

My graphic card is NVidia GT 425M. If this is a graphic card issue, is there any way to fix it? Run chameleon boot loader with some specific flags in safe mode?

I was searching for some kexts to add into extensions directory, but wasn't able to find any specific for my card.

Any help is very much appreciated.

I solved my issue:

My video card (4670) has 2 outputs: VGA and DVI, and i had my monitor connected to the DVI, which for some reason is not supported by the installer. the solution was to connect the monitor with the VGA cable and after the NTFS checks i got to the install screen of lion and continue with no issues. after the install both output are detected successfully and now i am running with just DVI.

I solved my issue:

My video card (4670) has 2 outputs: VGA and DVI, and i had my monitor connected to the DVI, which for some reason is not supported by the installer. the solution was to connect the monitor with the VGA cable and after the NTFS checks i got to the install screen of lion and continue with no issues. after the install both output are detected successfully and now i am running with just DVI.

Hello,

The problem is that I'm trying to install Lion on my Laptop. I've tried to plug external monitor via VGA cable but the laptops monitor is still active and the problem remains.

Is there anything else that I could try?

EDIT

My graphic card also has HDMI output, could it be some incompatibility with it?

Thanks.

Hello,

The problem is that I'm trying to install Lion on my Laptop. I've tried to plug external monitor via VGA cable but the laptops monitor is still active and the problem remains.

Is there anything else that I could try?

EDIT

My graphic card also has HDMI output, could it be some incompatibility with it?

Thanks.

I was able to get into install screen by using custom DSDT.aml. With Chamelleon bootloader I have used following flags: GraphicsEnabler=no DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml (custom DSDT file I've moved into Extra folder).

Now I see the installation screen with welcome messages but my Keyboard and mouse doesn't work, can't move on. I've tried to plugin external USB mouse and keyboard but the result was the same.

Edit

I believe that keyboard and mouse are not working because of the DSDT.aml. When installer is booting without those flags, everything works fine but screen goes black. Is there any fix that I can apply in order to boot into installer without any issue with nVidia card?

I did a quick look at your install.tar.gz and I didn't find a mkboot anywhere. Perhaps that's why I cannot proceed.

I had similar issue when extracted install.tar.gz with The Unarchiver. Try using Archive Utility, UnRarX or similar program.

Good luck.

I had similar issue when extracted install.tar.gz with The Unarchiver. Try using Archive Utility, UnRarX or similar program.

Good luck.

Actually, the best way is to not use any program at all but just double-clicking the file.