[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Perfect guide tseug, as usual ;-).

Works perfectly with my hardware (see my signature).

I had to add the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Is it a way to boot "silently" ?

Cheers,

The dude

Perfect guide tseug, as usual ;-).

Works perfectly with my hardware (see my signature).

I had to add the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Are you sure? Network should be covered by the script.

Is it a way to boot "silently" ?

Cheers,

The dude

Remove '-v' from kernel flags in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Excellent guide and script, followed everything, even got a kext for my graphics card, everything works except for network (i've got an asus p5q "pro turbo") and the interwebs work fine on my SL without any kexts or efi string patching.

Any pointers?

edit: fixed with AttansicL1eEthernet (found on osx86 wiki) :)

post-331219-1311587689_thumb.png

Works like a Charm! Thanx Tseug!

Only had to set GraphicsEnabler=No, deleted 2 nVidia-kexts in S/L/E and add EFI-string of my 8800GTS 320MB to org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Sound no problem with installing good old Audigy2ZS-card. Can't believe this card still works in Lion. Updated USB-stick to Chameleon RC5 VS r1135 because USB-stick wouldn't go through POST; bootloader problem. I have GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard with Carti-Bios. I don't need or use any DSDT-file.

Only had some problem with Logitech LCC Software because it's not Lion compatible. Work-around open content of package and install through mpkg in there!

I too use Cartri-Mac-BIOS but with a GA-EP45-UD3P. I see you used Chameleon RC5 VS r1135 for the USB stick but what Chameleon version does the drive end up with after installation for it to boot? Does it use the same as the USB for installation?

We've been somewhat spoiled with the Cartri BIOS approach on Snow Leopard and I hoped that the conversion to Lion might end up close to that simplicity. Not having to use any custom kexts in the S/L/E folder, to possibly be overwritten by 10.6.x updates, has been a real treat for the last 5 or 6 combo-updates.

Also, no DSDT and no custom settings for my nVidia GE-Force 9800GTX+ has helped too.

Yay, i finally could make it work on my computer. Needed the EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext and EvilOPCIFamily.kext on the USB Stick and also for my final Lion partition. Used DSDT Auto Patch to fix shutdown and reboot function. It also didn't recognized my HDD as internal ones so i used AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to be sure. also used GraphicEnabler on the boot.plist on usb stick and my partition

My Specs:

Mobo: Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer

CPU: Intel Core i7 870 2.94GHz

RAM: 4x2GB Kingston

HDD: Samsung 500GB SATA-II

Graka: MSI GTX-460 OC 1GB

So the problems i ran into where either PCI config starting and then it didn't do anything. also got it past this message and then it froze just after it on the grey apple logo without the spinning thing under it. I don't know what exactly made it work as i tried many things at once... either it was the Evil kexts or that i disconnected my second graka. after that i finally could install Lion

cheers

EDIT: Just saw now that it didn't recognized my sound. have to look for a solution there....

UPDATE: Sound works now too after removing ALC8xx.kexts and just leaving AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E for audio

This method was created (and tested) for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard ...

This guide worked for me 100% first try. Thanks so much tseug. I have been hackintoshing for ~3 years and have never had anything go so smoothly. I was messing around with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for HOURS trying to install SL to upgrade to Lion and the SL installer kept KPing the instant it started running. Then I found your guide and had Lion installed and working perfectly within an hour. My computer even slept once, although the 2nd time I tried to sleep it just rebooted. Even so. Is there a way I can donate a couple $$ for this guide?

My build:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P + Q6600

Random cheap nVidia 9400 GT

USB keyboard/mouse, stock everything

Great to see it supported so quickly! I was wondering how is support for the AMD Ati HD4870 X2 on this machine, is NetKas releasing a exotic cards kext? I remember netkas doing a post about Lion and ati cards:

Quote netkas

"ATIXXXXController now sets keys for videocard itself, if none present. so far worked for 4870, 5750, 5870, but not 4850."

I'm just wondering if the X2 falls in this line of cards aswell? Do I need an aty_init kext?

Thanks for the work!

This guide worked for me 100% first try. Thanks so much tseug. I have been hackintoshing for ~3 years and have never had anything go so smoothly. I was messing around with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for HOURS trying to install SL to upgrade to Lion and the SL installer kept KPing the instant it started running. Then I found your guide and had Lion installed and working perfectly within an hour. My computer even slept once, although the 2nd time I tried to sleep it just rebooted. Even so. Is there a way I can donate a couple $$ for this guide?

My build:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P + Q6600

Random cheap nVidia 9400 GT

USB keyboard/mouse, stock everything

Glad to hear it working so easily :D I wouldn't feel right accepting donations for what I consider to be Apple's hard work, not to mention the other contributors to the hackintosh scene. After all, this is just a script to take some of grunt work out of installing.

As long as you buy Lion from Apple I consider any use of this method to be paid in full.

Ok, bought the dmg from the Apple Store. I've got 10.6.8 with latest updates but when I want to create the USB Boot I always get "hdiutil: attach failed - No such file or directory".

It's a genuine dmg

You can't buy a dmg from the Apple store. I wonder how you managed that :unsure:

You can't buy a dmg from the Apple store. I wonder how you managed that :D

Sorry man but next time you might want to be a little sower to cast judgement... The DMG comes in the App Store download of Lion. :thumbsup_anim: You'll see it if you "Show Package Contents" of the Lion installation App, browse to "Contents>SharedSupport>InstallESD.dmg" and you'll find a bootable DVD image of OSX Lion... Use disk utility to burn the image and you'll have a bootable Lion installation disk!

Except tseug's script was never supposed to be used with the InstallESD.dmg directly but with the Install Mac OS X.app.

This didn't work for Asus U36JC though. Installer refuses to boot. But I doubt getting Lion (or Snow Leopard) onto that machine is gonna be easy. Most guides are made for some kind of Gigabyte board (desktop pc). Wonder why Gigabyte boards are particularly compatible with Mac OS X. Does someone have an answer for that?

I even got a P45 chipset board but from MSI (MSI P45 Neo-F) and that does not fly as smooth as Gigabyte boards with same chipset. You would think the hardware were mostly similar having the same chipset and peripheral chips (same Realtek audio and network).

Anyone tried this with an MSI board? I have an MSI Eclipse x58. Any tips before I dive into this? I've tried many other guides and have failed to install them all. I'm hoping this works because I really want Lion on my PC.

Except tseug's script was never supposed to be used with the InstallESD.dmg directly but with the Install Mac OS X.app.

This didn't work for Asus U36JC though. Installer refuses to boot. But I doubt getting Lion (or Snow Leopard) onto that machine is gonna be easy. Most guides are made for some kind of Gigabyte board (desktop pc). Wonder why Gigabyte boards are particularly compatible with Mac OS X. Does someone have an answer for that?

I even got a P45 chipset board but from MSI (MSI P45 Neo-F) and that does not fly as smooth as Gigabyte boards with same chipset. You would think the hardware were mostly similar having the same chipset and peripheral chips (same Realtek audio and network).

Have you tried moving the kexts in Extra from your current SL installation to the boot USB?

Great guide and great thread. Thanks to all that reported the failures.

I have a dell dimension e520 using sl 10.6.6 and I'm really interested

in getting a working lion installation.

Thank to nabxf for giving me hope.

The first time I failed was the following

mkboot <Target volume> 

To avoid this I copied the installer app from the .dmg file to the application folder.

Here I failed the next time

Attaching OS X Lion...
hdiutil: attach failed - No such file or directory

At this point I read this post from Ufdah and made it reverse. I renamed my pirated dmg file to InstallESD.dmg and put it in the installer app "Contents>SharedSupport>InstallESD.dmg" (it is a little bit shizophren :) ) where it would be if i had bought it in the App-Store.

After 10 minutes the script stopt with

Disk /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System ejected
All done.

So far.

I will keep going on

Hi,

tried to install Lion on my system ( step by step ... great manual ... thumps up). After installing and finalizing, booting stops with the errors on the screenshot...

System:

Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4 F14

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz

Grafic: XFX Geforce 7600GT Fatal1ty Silent

RAM: 6 GB

Is it possible that the grafic card is not working with 64 bit?

thx for your help...

greetz

post-488495-1311870946_thumb.jpg

At this point I read this post from Ufdah and made it reverse. I renamed my pirated dmg file

Please stop with the piracy posts. If you want to save the small amount that Lion costs, go ahead, but at least keep it out of this thread. ;)

Hello tseug

Your USB Lion installer worked like a charm on my GA-EP45 UD3R system. I use "UseKernelCache=Yes" to increase bootup speed. I guess this all could be done in your finalize script but it may be more prudent to do it manually after running the finalize script.

-------

Move all the kext files in Extra/Extensions to System/Library/Extensions.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Kernel_cache

Run Kext_Utility.app ver 2.5.ob Lion Ready after moving the kext files from E/E to S/L/E.

http://cvad-mac.narod2.ru/

Then add "UseKernelCache=Yes" to org.chameleon.Boot.plist to speed up bootup.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...ilit=+Lion+Tips+

Can also use Kext Wizard to both move kexts and update system cache.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253395

I followed this guide, and I got a bootable usb drive, when I boot from it, it starts, loads a lot of kexts, then the kernel starts with its stuff, till this screen below, then the screen goes black and freezes there.

post-840908-1311942408_thumb.jpg

I have the system as in my signature, SandyBrige Asus P8P67, i5 2500k, HD 4670, 2 SATA drives in AHCI mode.

I saw posts about starting with -v or -x parameters, were do i put these commands? what else can I do?

I was able to install SnowLeopard in a virtual machine, and it is working, from it I executed the mkinstall to create the usb drive.

I followed this guide, and I got a bootable usb drive, when I boot from it, it starts, loads a lot of kexts, then the kernel starts with its stuff, till this screen below, then the screen goes black and freezes there.

post-840908-1311942408_thumb.jpg

I have the system as in my signature, SandyBrige Asus P8P67, i5 2500k, HD 4670, 2 SATA drives in AHCI mode.

I saw posts about starting with -v or -x parameters, were do i put these commands? what else can I do?

I was able to install SnowLeopard in a virtual machine, and it is working, from it I executed the mkinstall to create the usb drive.

Please take a look at the error reporting section of the guide. Specifically: "Report whether the graphics card is reported as working in the thread mentioned above.".

Anyway, your graphics card is the most likely candidate for your issues.

Please take a look at the error reporting section of the guide. Specifically: "Report whether the graphics card is reported as working in the thread mentioned above.".

Anyway, your graphics card is the most likely candidate for your issues.

My graphic card is not in the list, but it is from the HD 4000/4600 series, and during the initial grey screen when the installer is loading kexts, i see:

"Read HFS+ File: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Extensions/ATI4600.......kext] in addition to some others like 4800, 5000, 6000.

Other than that, i did not change anything on the usb drive, just a clean mkinstall.

System spec are as in the signature, i5 2500k on Asus P8P67 Pro, no overclocking, all C states enabled, Turbo mode set to Auto, the video is Sapphire HD 4670 Ultimate 512MB (1002:9490)

anyway, is this the symptom for an incompatible graphic card? I am willing to change the video card to something newer (not older), i was checking the ATI 6670 or 6770, are these compatible with Lion out-of-the-box?

UPDATE:

reading around about my video card and OSX, i found that the card itself is supported, but the DVI output is not supported (or need patches), so i connected a d-sub vga cable and after the kernel messages i got the install menus, and with the mbr patch applied to the usb drive, i was able to install on an MBR partition.

now i need only to put the right drivers, as i have no audio, no lan, and who knows what else.

Thanks for the mkinstall script.

post-840908-1311944904_thumb.jpg

@xxxrootxxx: It IS your GFX. Try booting with argument

arch=i386

That will fix it anyhow, but sleep won't work. A real solution would be buying a GeForce 8xxx or any later model. I was stuck on a 6600GT, same error. I got myself a new NV520GT for 40 bucks, which made my system work again.

@everyone: In case of problems try the arch=i386 boot argument! Simply type the command when you see the Chameleon boot screen, when you select your partition/drive.

Greetz!