[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Favle, I had the same kernel panic. You might need to boot into 32-bit mode.

I am running (temporarily) a GeForce 7300 GT, which is not compatible with 64-bit mode, for some reason.

So at boot, I type arch=i386 and I'm good to go.

64-bit apps can run once booted into 32-bit mode, so until I get a new vid card, this fix will do.

..finally, done.

I try to share my small experience.

Take in mind this procedure has been tested on the signature below hardware only.

Follow the wonderful Tseug Guide.

At the end you will get a KP due to Geforce7xx and other one kexts as my previous screenshot showed, for conflicts.

Don't mind.Be happy.

Just reboot with usb drive installation system by Tseug, open Terminal from Utilities, add the EFI string at org.boot.plist device-properties, save it.

Reboot with the "ignore caches" boot option and you will gone with that.

It didn't need to add NVENABLER kext in Extra folder at all, and the GraphicEnabler option in the org.boot.plist is setted @ Yes.

At now everything is working except I have the ethernet recognized as bluetooth but it's correctly working with IP dns and everithing else; sleep is working but I have to keep the power on, differently, the deep sleep crash and the system must boot again.

:whistle:

[Edit] sorry, as mentioned by court we need to a kernle flags for starting the nvidia driver @32 but using the apps @64 problemless, screenshot below of the org.boot.plist used.

Screen_Shot_2012_07_27_at_12_41_04.jpg

tseug, thanks again for your work on this. I CANNOT wait till it is updated for Mountain Lion.

In the meantime, I did encounter something strange that I can't quite figure out.

So, as some background, I am running a Mac Pro mod, using the GA-P35-DS4 mobo (mounted sideways! in the case) and with an Apple bluetooth module hack.

I wired it correctly using voltage step-down diodes to bring the 5V USB head to 3.3. Initially I was running a GeForce 9600GT card that worked perfectly with the nvidia text installed by default with this script.

However, I couldn't for the life of me get Bluetooth to work. It always returned an error at boot and once the computer started up, I could never get Bluetooth to connect to my Apple keyboard, trackpad and magic mouse.

BUT, after I swapped out my 9600GT for my backup 7300GT, Bluetooth works PERFECTLY!

I did phsycially damage my 9600GT, which is why I'm not using it anymore. But I am wondering why there was that Bluetooth issue with the 9600GT and not with my 7300GT.

And it wasn't a matter of 64-bit vs 32-bit, because I had tried booting in 32-bit with the 9600 and it didn't work.

Have you heard of any such incompatibility with the 9600GT card?

The only thing I can think of is that the 9600GT required the 6-pin power connector, whereas the 7300GT runs completely off the PCI slot.

Any ideas?

tseug, thanks again for your work on this. I CANNOT wait till it is updated for Mountain Lion.

In the meantime, I did encounter something strange that I can't quite figure out.

So, as some background, I am running a Mac Pro mod, using the GA-P35-DS4 mobo (mounted sideways! in the case) and with an Apple bluetooth module hack.

I wired it correctly using voltage step-down diodes to bring the 5V USB head to 3.3. Initially I was running a GeForce 9600GT card that worked perfectly with the nvidia text installed by default with this script.

However, I couldn't for the life of me get Bluetooth to work. It always returned an error at boot and once the computer started up, I could never get Bluetooth to connect to my Apple keyboard, trackpad and magic mouse.

BUT, after I swapped out my 9600GT for my backup 7300GT, Bluetooth works PERFECTLY!

I did phsycially damage my 9600GT, which is why I'm not using it anymore. But I am wondering why there was that Bluetooth issue with the 9600GT and not with my 7300GT.

And it wasn't a matter of 64-bit vs 32-bit, because I had tried booting in 32-bit with the 9600 and it didn't work.

Have you heard of any such incompatibility with the 9600GT card?

The only thing I can think of is that the 9600GT required the 6-pin power connector, whereas the 7300GT runs completely off the PCI slot.

Any ideas?

I too have a mac pro mod using this mobo (nightmare) and would love a detailed write up on how you got the front usb working. I ended up splicing the power button straight to the motherboard and not dealing with firewire and usb. I looked it up on aqua mac but never could get them working. I have an ati 6870 twin frozr as my graphics card and my bluetooth dongle works great hidden inside the case.

I would never do a Mac Pro mod again, knowing what I now know.

But it sure is sweet having it finally working, haha.

s1ckrider, I wish I had a solution to the front USB ports. I too have not been able to get them working. I assumed that I had a defective front panel, or that the same issue that was breaking my Bluetooth was breaking the front USB ports.

It is unfortunate that you are also encountering the same issue.

Question: is it a data or power issue for you?

I think it is a power issue for me. When I plug something in--nada, zippo. No red light on my usb optical mouse.

It's not a huge deal for me, because since I have my mobo installed sidways, the USB ports on the mobo face toward the bottom of the computer and I just plug the USB wires directly into the mobo ports.

Ultimately, when I upgrade to newer hardware, I will buy an mATX and mount it better. But for now, it sounds like we may have to live without those front panel USB ports.

Unless anyone with a GA-p35-DS4 Mac Pro mod can prove us wrong?

• 2 months later...

Since 2-3 days I got freezes in almost every application and games. First I thought it was the game (COD) that was buggy but now I think it's graphical card or the memory. I have a dual boot (W7) and in windows it gave me a BSOD with code 0A.

So after a couple of minutes working in Lion the window is blocked and the classic 'please shutdown computer...' appears like this:

2639968934_f450b83a18_z.jpg

I was on 10.7.3 when I got the problem and now I updated to 10.7.5 because maybe it could come from the install but it's not. It's likely a hardware failure but how to check in osx?

EDIT: Ok I found it. It was a memory module that was broken. I used the install guide from Tseug to go to 10.8 and everything is working again. Thanks!