Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm getting totally frustrated with this but really want to get it done.

Being totally blind, I don't have access to the screenshots in the guide so I've done my best to get it done using the text instructions.

The instructions I've followed are these:

Open Disk Utility, select the USB drive partition and click on the Erase tab. Select Mac Os Extended (Journaled) and click on the Erase button.

Mount InstallESD.dmg

Open Terminal and run the command:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

Now click on the Restore tab, drag Mac OS X Base System to Source and the USB drive partition to Destination, then click on the Restore button. This operation takes several minutes.

The partition will have its name changed automatically to Mac OS X Base System after the restoration.

After the restoration, open the restored partition, navigate to System/Installation, delete the Packages link and create a folder with the same name, Packages.

Open Terminal and run the command:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages

Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously.

Run the installers "Extra Lion" and "Chameleon RC5". Remember to click on Change Install Location... and select the USB drive as destination, or they will be installed on the running system.

With the installer USB ready, boot it and install Lion to an HD partition.

And this is where I go wrong. The USB drive isn't bootable from startup.

What am I doing wrong?

also why are there two extra lion installers and do i need to install both?

And this is where I go wrong. The USB drive isn't bootable from startup.

What am I doing wrong?

also why are there two extra lion installers and do i need to install both?

some MainBoards, like mine :) , have problems if using USB Stick with GUID Partition Table! Not Bootable !

try with MBR Partition Table !

the second Installer ! if you want to install LION on a MBR Partition Table ( e.g. same HD with Win7 ) formattet HD or a

System with less than 2 GB RAM, e.g. NetBooks !

CooSee ' Ya

hi. i followed the guide and when i boot from the usb, after some ~15 pages of messages on the screen, the last lines read:

Loaded HFS+ file: [DSDT.aml] 18347 bytes from 435bc40

efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/smbios.plist] 574 bytes from 435bc40

Patched DMI Table Loaded HFS+ file: [DSDT.aml] 18347 bytes from 435bc40

Patched ACPI version 2 DSDT

Starting Darwin x86_64

and the system reboots. any ideas?

my system: asrock p67pro3, intel i5-2500k, nvidia gtx560.

Hey,

I'm following the tutorial and I have come to the part where a DSDT is necessary.

I was wondering, how does one generate a DSDT? I am currently running Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, if that helps.

Hopefully I can get an answer :(

Hi, I followed this tutorial and I used a Snow Leopard installation in VMware to create the usb stick. I did everything correctly but when I tried to boot from the usb stick, it said that com.apple.boot.plist was depreciated and then when I still tried to boot the installation it said mach_kernel was missing.

So I rebooted into Windows then my virtual machine, I copied the mach_kernel located on my virtual hard disk to the root of the usb stick (I didn't search for "org.chameleon.boot.plist" since I can't find one), after that I retried to boot to the installation, this time it loads all the files and when it's supposed to show me the Apple logo with the turning wheel it my computer just restarts.

Here are my specs:

-AsRock P67 Pro3 SE

-Intel i5 2500k

-Asus HD 6950

Perhaps my hardware is unsopperted? Or is the new org.chameleon.boot.plist mandatory? I'll try to find one and report back, or if someone could provide me one.

EDIT: I noticed that there already was a mach_kernel in the Extra folder, so I changed com.apple.boot.plist's mach_kernel value to "Extra/mach_kernel" (still can't find org.chameleon.boot.plist), when I restarted it successfully loaded everything up until the point it supposed to show me the "Welcome to Mac OS X Installation screen", you know, where I can choose Disk Utility and stuff, instead the screen just stays gray. And if I try to boot in safe mode it shows me the gray screen plus the cursor (it functions well, I can move it), but that's it. The weird thing is that my USB stick is still indicating read/write access. Any suggestions?

ok, I've just noticed something.

After going through all the steps, restoring the basesystem to the flash drive etc, I noticed that the drive is now mac os extended, not journaled like I specified.

Should this make a difference? I'm guessing this happened when the drive was erased during the restore process.

could this explain why i can't boot the USB stick?

Hey,

I'm following the tutorial and I have come to the part where a DSDT is necessary.

I was wondering, how does one generate a DSDT? I am currently running Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, if that helps.

Hopefully I can get an answer :)

@waqy and Raiders:

Auto Patcher has been discontinued, but the patches are still availlable: http://olarila.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

black screen of death following this,

h/w as follows

Nvidea geforce 9800gt 512

medioin mobo (has fully working 10.6.2 updated to 10.6.8)

sata hdd obviously 200gb's

snow leopard is the first partition, then a free space for the lion install .. so my partitions are 100GB or just shy off and then theres the pen drive and a usb cd/dvd rom drive...

what do you think it is that im doing wrongly dudes/dudets !?

Hi, I followed this tutorial and I used a Snow Leopard installation in VMware to create the usb stick. I did everything correctly but when I tried to boot from the usb stick, it said that com.apple.boot.plist was depreciated and then when I still tried to boot the installation it said mach_kernel was missing.

So I rebooted into Windows then my virtual machine, I copied the mach_kernel located on my virtual hard disk to the root of the usb stick (I didn't search for "org.chameleon.boot.plist" since I can't find one), after that I retried to boot to the installation, this time it loads all the files and when it's supposed to show me the Apple logo with the turning wheel it my computer just restarts.

Here are my specs:

-AsRock P67 Pro3 SE

-Intel i5 2500k

-Asus HD 6950

Perhaps my hardware is unsopperted? Or is the new org.chameleon.boot.plist mandatory? I'll try to find one and report back, or if someone could provide me one.

EDIT: I noticed that there already was a mach_kernel in the Extra folder, so I changed com.apple.boot.plist's mach_kernel value to "Extra/mach_kernel" (still can't find org.chameleon.boot.plist), when I restarted it successfully loaded everything up until the point it supposed to show me the "Welcome to Mac OS X Installation screen", you know, where I can choose Disk Utility and stuff, instead the screen just stays gray. And if I try to boot in safe mode it shows me the gray screen plus the cursor (it functions well, I can move it), but that's it. The weird thing is that my USB stick is still indicating read/write access. Any suggestions?

reet... you can rename your boot file to the chameleon name in there just rename the old one 2 org.chameleon.boot.plist

When I boot up into the Installer, erase the previous Snow Leopard HDD and call it 'Lion', and go to install on that HDD, I get a message:

To install on this disk, open Disk Utility by choosing Utilities > Disk Utility, and repartition this disk using "GUID Partition Table." Important: you will lose all data on this disk by repartitioning it.

On this HDD, I have 3 partitions. Windows 7 partition, RECOVERY partition (always been there) and the Lion partition.

Windows 7 was installed first...

Is there a problem, is it not possible to reboot? The USB installer obviously works fine because I booted into it, it just won't let me install onto the Lion partition because of that message.

Any help?

hi,

I am trying to get lion on my PC but no chance so far.

I did follow the topic and when I reboot on the usb stick I can see only loading X86 but that's it. nothing else and the system is stuck.

If anyone has an idea?

Thanks

Since the dsdt autopatcher is down, I can't get a DSDT for my Lion install

Hardware:

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Nvidia 9800GT 512MB

Need LAN

ALC888 not needed, have external audio interface

Any help would be much appreciated, have Lion installed, working, just need DSDT for Video/LAN

Thanks in advance,

Since the dsdt autopatcher is down, I can't get a DSDT for my Lion install

Hardware:

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Nvidia 9800GT 512MB

Need LAN

ALC888 not needed, have external audio interface

Any help would be much appreciated, have Lion installed, working, just need DSDT for Video/LAN

Thanks in advance,

Hi:

Lan: use

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QAXTEHLB

and add in your dsdt

capturadepantalla201110lq.png

Video: use

capturadepantalla201110u.png

Video in DSDT in 10,7,2 does not work (in 10,7,1 yes)

There is no such thing like "OSInstall" in the folder "System/Installation/Packages".

I bought mine as the USB Lion Install, but it doesn't have the "OSinstall" file or folder, and I am having the "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" error.

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I didn't noticed it is a hide file, my mistake.

Hey, I followed your tutorial, with the exception of using this kernel: http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1945

thinking it would help, as I seem to have lapic/AHCI issues on my laptop.

In Windows, I used the DSDTEditor to extract the DSDT, autofix and compile, then booted the USB, but it gets to the point where it says, press any key to continue, after loading kexts for the installer, then just reboots my PC.

My specs are:

HP dv6 3136tx:

Intel Core i5 460M

6GB RAM

Intel HD 3000 and ATi Mobility 5650M graphics. (dual)

HP 144A mobo

Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n WiFi adapter

640GB HDD.

I cannot enable AHCI in my BIOS as there is nothing about AHCI in there. I've heard it comes enabled by default on Vista OEM HP laptops, but mine came with 7, so I'm not sure.

Attached is the DSDT that DSDTEditor extracted from my Windows install. I can't run your run_me.app as I don't have Mac OS previously installed.

Thanks.

kaikz_dsdt_dsl.zip

Hey, I followed your tutorial, with the exception of using this kernel: http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1945

thinking it would help, as I seem to have lapic/AHCI issues on my laptop.

In Windows, I used the DSDTEditor to extract the DSDT, autofix and compile, then booted the USB, but it gets to the point where it says, press any key to continue, after loading kexts for the installer, then just reboots my PC.

My specs are:

HP dv6 3136tx:

Intel Core i5 460M

6GB RAM

Intel HD 3000 and ATi Mobility 5650M graphics. (dual)

HP 144A mobo

Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n WiFi adapter

640GB HDD.

I cannot enable AHCI in my BIOS as there is nothing about AHCI in there. I've heard it comes enabled by default on Vista OEM HP laptops, but mine came with 7, so I'm not sure.

Attached is the DSDT that DSDTEditor extracted from my Windows install. I can't run your run_me.app as I don't have Mac OS previously installed.

Thanks.

Try the 10.7 kernel instead of the 10.7.2 kernel

you can find it in the forum over here (mammoth method) post #649